Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Release Delayed By Two Weeks

Comments

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Had they said that they were postponing it because they are polishing the game after getting player feedback from the betas, I would have stood up and applauded...but wth is a positive launch window, what are they talking about?

It's a PR spin, because how can you possibly say that moving the release date straight into the beginning of the Major Holiday season is a positive launch window??  Boggles my mind!

Especially for people that pre-ordered (like me) this just sucks, as stores usually only keep your box in reservation for a week or so, before selling it on! /facepalm

Except that it's only a "Major Holiday season" in the US. Funcom is based in Norway.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Proof the game is not ready yet. I hope this make s a difference

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Tokken

Proof the game is not ready yet. I hope this make s a difference

Delay is not for polishing reasons. Proof that you don't read.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Common sense should tell quite a few of you that this is not for polishing. Just how much could possibly be accomplished in two weeks? Nothing substantial, certainly nothing you'd see patched in any time soon.

It's being pushed back because there's something happening on the original date that they want to avoid getting in the way of their game's launch. I don't know what it is, and seeing as we don't know the next BWE (and I can't imagine Anet having a reason to tell them), it seems silly to delay the release of a game for 2 weeks on a hunch that a beta might be available for a different game, for 2.5 whole days of a weekend. So, that seems unlikely as well. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Finit
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Bit sloppy work on their part, as they spammed people just yesterday about the next beta weekend being June 1st till June 3rd!

And now a day later they pospone release date by two weeks and cancel the June 1-3 beta weekend!

/shrug

I'm going to put a tin foil hat but I think there is a high propability of gW2's beta weekend beeing 1-3rd June. I doubt they want to compete with that when it's quite obvious those betas are a marketing tool to create interest.

Agreed, though I think its debatable how much the market between the two games overlap.

They overlap for me since I bought games :)  So far I don't regret either purchase which is a bonus..

Happy they are delaying launch as I think they have a fair bit of work to do especially in the combat area.  I fully expect another delay and more beta's.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Psychow

I really wish the cynicism on these forums would stop...or at least slow down on the hate train. 

The problem with cynicism is that its usually applied to everything without making sense most of the time making someone a cynic, in this case the negativity has grounding in the fact that Funcom has a history of broken promises, outrageous marketing and unfinished buggy launches and on the evidence of the last BWE I participated in they are doing it again. No content seen past the starter areas, placeholder animations, a tiny character customisations setup, combat that was changed recently and makes it look odd and clunky, graphics that look like a slightly better version of Fallen Earth (and thats not a compliment). All this and more and they are ready for launch? if people cannot see King Kong waving a red flag on top of the Empire State saying don't buy this trainwreck of a game, then I cannot help, but this is only what the "cynics" on this thread are trying to do.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Calerxes

I really wish the cynicism on these forums would stop...or at least slow down on the hate train. 

The problem with cynicism is that its usually applied to everything without making sense most of the time making someone a cynic, in this case the negativity has grounding in the fact that Funcom has a history of broken promises, outrageous marketing and unfinished buggy launches and on the evidence of the last BWE I participated in they are doing it again. No content seen past the starter areas, placeholder animations, a tiny character customisations setup, combat that was changed recently and makes it look odd and clunky, graphics that look like a slightly better version of Fallen Earth (and thats not a compliment). All this and more and they are ready for launch? if people cannot see King Kong waving a red flag on top of the Empire State saying don't buy this trainwreck of a game, then I cannot help, but this is only what the "cynics" on this thread are trying to do.

False.

Funcom has a history of making their games better. Not broken promises. Have you any idea what you are talking about? If they had bad releases, they made their games FAR BETTER after. They stuck to their releases. ALL of their releases ended up good or great games. WHere are you from?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Unlike say ea or whatever yeah funcom do support their games and update them. Sometimes for the worse though, I used to like Aoc, but they messed with the combat, introduced wow style gearing and made it more pve, less pvp. It was a decent pvp mmo once, ain't any longer.
    That said tsw is in a far better state than Aoc was at this stage before launch. It's in a better state than swtor at launch and the gw2 beta.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Unlike say ea or whatever yeah funcom do support their games and update them. Sometimes for the worse though, I used to like Aoc, but they messed with the combat, introduced wow style gearing and made it more pve, less pvp. It was a decent pvp mmo once, ain't any longer.

I would agree with this. It's an opinion I may not share, but it's truthful. That's an opinion I can take. Unlike the "This game maker is da devil!!!" kind of crap.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    That said tsw is in a far better state than Aoc was at this stage before launch. It's in a better state than swtor at launch and the gw2 beta.

Agreed.  There's no comparison really.  TSW is a thousand times better than AoC was at this stage of the game.  Technically, it's very solid, while AoC was an absolute mess.  It's not perfect, but it is more solid than most new MMOs in recent memory.

Beyond that, AoC had a laundry list of design flaws that made it a horrible game.  TSW does not suffer from the same problem, while also having some of the better quest storylines I've seen in a long while - many of which the player has to actually figure out.

TSW is not the "same old Funcom", which is a good thing.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Humm, anyone doubt that the forums here will be interesting to watch around the 4th of July.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Originally posted by xenpt

Only 2 weeks ? lol  good luck with that

Did you actually read anything? Do you know anything about TSW? Delayed two weeks. Means it will be released two weeks later than the original June release. You get that right? The game is playable NOW. Two weeks means they know some things could be better.

WHat is it with you people?

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Think they are extending Beta to get more sales.

In my opinion their preorder and sales are not that great cos of Diablo 3.

Diablo 3 is killing their launch sales.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by Kinchyle

False.

Funcom has a history of making their games better. Not broken promises. Have you any idea what you are talking about? If they had bad releases, they made their games FAR BETTER after. They stuck to their releases. ALL of their releases ended up good or great games. WHere are you from?

So you agree that Funcom have a history of bad releases? and then 1/2/3 years later their games gets better but they haven't broken promises at release and you accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about amazing really amazing. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but since I'm entitled to mine (image), I'm going to disagree with you here: content past the beginning has been seen and experienced, and will be also in open beta with the Savage Coast and PvP areas which all in total looks more than what was seen with AoC's Tortage. The environment and monster model graphics are actually pretty damn good and imo easily surpass that of many other AAA MMO's, I found them even better than AoC's but that's personal preference. So far it also plays better than AoC did in the beginning.

As for the character customisation and animation, well, I never found AoC bad in those areas so if they manage to equal it I've no problem with it. So far I withhold my judgement on it till I've seen the end result.

But if you're not keen on playing TSW, well, that's your good right of course.

Originally posted by cutthecrap

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but since I'm entitled to mine (image), I'm going to disagree with you here: content past the beginning has been seen and experienced, and will be also in open beta with the Savage Coast and PvP areas which all in total looks more than what was seen with AoC's Tortage. The environment and monster model graphics are actually pretty damn good and imo easily surpass that of many other AAA MMO's, I found them even better than AoC's but that's personal preference. So far it also plays better than AoC did in the beginning.

As for the character customisation and animation, well, I never found AoC bad in those areas so if they manage to equal it I've no problem with it. So far I withhold my judgement on it till I've seen the end result.

But if you're not keen on playing TSW, well, that's your good right of course.

Don't get me wrong I'll always hope for the best, I play SW:TOR as my main MMO and apparently I'm a misguided fool to actually like playing a co-op SPG disguised as an MMO so I know what its like being one who likes a certain vilified game, but because of Funcoms reputation I really cannot see this turning out well. I have a love/hate relationship with Funcom, AOC is a cracking game in some areas but everytime I go back the things that made me leave make me leave again and I feel the same with TSW. Funcom are great on ideas but weak on execution maybe they should just be a game think tank instead of a developer.

Yeah but tsw isn't universaly vilified like swtor. They got 80% approval rate from open beta poll.
    Yeah but tsw isn't universaly vilified like swtor. They got 80% approval rate from open beta poll.

Did I say universally I'm sure I did not.

• GrimmRoethGrimmRoeth Member Posts: 5

I would rather see a company delay a release than to rush to meet a deadline.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

False.

So you agree that Funcom have a history of bad releases? and then 1/2/3 years later their games gets better but they haven't broken promises at release and you accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about amazing really amazing. 

So, would you call the bug riddled and missing parts of Shadowlands or the missing features of Lost Eden bad releases or "1/2/3 years later"  broken promises?

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156

False.

Everything they said would be there is there. There were no suprises going from months on the forums into beta. There are no illusions, like swtor gave the illusion of choice. It is a leveless classless game, with 500+ abilities 90% all different. Awsome sandbox crafting, Well designed 3 faction pvp. Highly optimized. Scary stories, The game is hard, from mobs to investigation, and you have to think.  

I have never played AoC, but I've played a lot of mmos. As far as launch polish RIFT sets the bar. If RIFT is a A, TSW beta would be a A-. Extremely stable. with top notch customer support. I hear people talking about AoC launch, but the things said just don't seem to apply to TSW. I guess if anyone has learned from past bad experience FC did. 

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

wonder how this game is gonna do when its released , did have closed beta acces and for me some ideas seem nice for the game but other stuff seems very unfished like animations and game performance was also pretty bad on my pc which is pretty good ( gtx 580 , i7 ) so hope they get this all fixed.

I know alot of ppl dont like funcom but even with their bad and unfished game releases they atleast always come up with something original.

Originally posted by paroxysm

False.

So, would you call the bug riddled and missing parts of Shadowlands or the missing features of Lost Eden bad releases or "1/2/3 years later"  broken promises?

Originally posted by letsxhat

False.

Everything they said would be there is there. There were no suprises going from months on the forums into beta. There are no illusions, like swtor gave the illusion of choice. It is a leveless classless game, with 500+ abilities 90% all different. Awsome sandbox crafting, Well designed 3 faction pvp. Highly optimized. Scary stories, The game is hard, from mobs to investigation, and you have to think.  

I have never played AoC, but I've played a lot of mmos. As far as launch polish RIFT sets the bar. If RIFT is a A, TSW beta would be a A-. Extremely stable. with top notch customer support. I hear people talking about AoC launch, but the things said just don't seem to apply to TSW. I guess if anyone has learned from past bad experience FC did. 

Instead of getting into a long and pointless argument of Funcom's past lets see whats happens, you know my view and concerns about the state of the game. Lets hope for the fans of the game that you guys are right and it has a solid launch and success because I don't think Funcom would survive another bad launch.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182
    You can't give TSW a A or an A- for polish right now, sorry.  Quests are still broken, you can get stuck in doorways.  I agree Rift released a polished product.  Don't compare TSW to Rift.  Another two weeks can only help.