Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - Average server has less than 350 players online

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I know that this isn't an official release from EA/Bioware, but it does carry some weight. 

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73961/report-average-old-republic-server-has-less-than-350-players

Basically, over a period of time, multiple census were taken on each server at different times to determine how many people were actually playing. On average, it showed that a vast majority of servers had less than 350 players online. There are exceptions of course, like the server "The Fatman".

Overall, at the most populated time, only 73,693 concurrent users were online across all servers. 

What do you guys think? Those of you that are still playing on a light load server, does 350 sound accurate to you?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by GPrestige

I know that this isn't an official release from EA/Bioware, but it does carry some weight. 

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73961/report-average-old-republic-server-has-less-than-350-players

Basically, over a period of time, multiple census were taken on each server at different times to determine how many people were actually playing. On average, it showed that a vast majority of servers had less than 350 players online. There are exceptions of course, like the server "The Fatman".

Overall, at the most populated time, only 73,693 concurrent users were online across all servers. 

What do you guys think? Those of you that are still playing on a light load server, does 350 sound accurate to you?

With less than 70 people on fleet during primetime (last month before I quit) and less than 10-15 people per planet.

I guess 350 sounds about right yes. Both Republic and Empire together.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

That is still almost a million subscribers which is my expectation.
    Starting high with almost 2 million and then going down having an average of 1 million the first year and eventually shrinking down to 250k or so the 2nd year.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Starting high with almost 2 million and then going down having an average of 1 million the first year and eventually dying off down to 250k or so the 2nd year.

How are you getting a million subscribers using these numbers?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Starting high with almost 2 million and then going down having an average of 1 million the first year and eventually dying off down to 250k or so the 2nd year.

EvE online has roughy 50,000 concurrent players at prime time. I don't believe that they have almost a million subscribers left. Unless EvE players simply play their game MORE?

I also have seen that SWTOR is filled with far more botters than EvE. So take that for what it's worth?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Bcs i expect the concurrency number of players is made usually by around 10% of its overall playerbase and there is a bunch of accounts that is inactive but still payed or still in the 1st month.

PS: My expectation regarding EVE is that the common EVE player is more motivated to play and thus a bigger percentage of the playerbase is shown in the concurrency measurement.
    EVE is a niche and niche players usually be more dedicated.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

350 peek? Perhaps, though that may be generous The server I started on went from 2-3 hour long queues a few weeks after release to light in a month. I came back with the free month for my nephew that was visiting for a few weeks and this past weekend I never saw Republic fleet go over 30 people even during peek hours. Sith side, planets were thin also, though I was only on their fleet once and there was 21 people early afternoon on Sunday.

To have such a small number at the fleet and for there to have been over 300 people log on both sides, there would have to be a planet with high numbers...because most of them were near dead. I was the only person on Tat for the 20 minues I was there to do a companion quest...pretty damn sad.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

At the time of Rift's big merge they had 27 servers (NA).  I believe there were 3 that got into 'medium', which the cutoff was 400 people as well as Wolfsbane, which was high pop.  Rifts servers took 20% less people to reach medium, but I would imagine it was about the same number overall then.

The mmodata.net estimate of Rift's subs at that time was 250k.  Assuming the two games have a similar ratio of EU/NA players, dividing SWTOR's NA servers by Rift's NA servers at the time (123/27) = 4.555

4.555 x Rifts projected 250k =  1.14 million subs

This doesnt prove shit, but it does suggest that both Rift's estimated 250k in december and the 1.3 million bioware has reported probably arent far off (SWTOR has a lot of inactive 6 month subs to push from 1.14 to 1.3 mil and obviously any of these calculations here is about as scientific as intelligent design)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

My husband is one of those that paid for a 6 month sub when he bought the game. They gave him an extra 30 days even though he didn't have characters with the legacy requirements they stated, They just won't let him go even though he canceled after the first month, LOL.

I can log into his account anytime during what's considered prime time and only 1 server has a decent population, The Fat Man. 3 or 4 of the other servers will have 75-100 people at the fleet, and all  of the servers (US) will have single digits and low teens amount of people across the whole server, not just the fleet. It's very remenescent of the ghost towns Warhammer was.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Remember it's average so in the real scenario some servers will have like 1000 players and some will have next to nothing. Population isn't even as people will slowly flock to populated servers. So people saying it cannot be true because their server has lots of people, well that's because you're on a populated server.

They made too many servers, I don't know why they needed more than 1 of each type considering they can clone zones over and over.

They made too many servers, I don't know why they needed more than 1 of each type considering they can clone zones over and over.

You do need a sense of community, but yes they launched too many and havent been fast enough merging them

• hh33hh33 Member Posts: 55

73.693 players across 214 servers worldwide means that SWTOR is heading towards the MMO trash heap at lightspeed.

EA/Biofail only needs to have 3 servers (PVE, PVE-PvP, PvP) going if these figures are in fact an accurate representation of active players remaining. I'd say 4 servers, but everybody knows EA/Biofail has no clue how to run a test server properly.

SWTOR will be F2P or shutdown by the end of 2012 (take your pick) and will be remembered as the biggest disaster in MMO history.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/6966/article/report-star-wars-the-old-republic-has-less-than-350-players-on-average-for-each-server/

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1224848p1.html

Sorry people... R2D2 & C3PO aren't going to be able to turn off the trash compactor to save SWTOR.

Originally posted by teakbois

You do need a sense of community, but yes they launched too many and havent been fast enough merging them

I think GW2 is another over hyped MMO from playing it but the overflow server is a genius idea, it should eliminate the need for so many servers.

• Originally posted by tixylix

I think GW2 is another over hyped MMO from playing it but the overflow server is a genius idea, it should eliminate the need for so many servers.

It won't do anything to help with WvW though.  As far as I can tell of a server has a lot of demand for WvW and it hits the cap people are just screwed.

Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by tixylix

It won't do anything to help with WvW though.  As far as I can tell of a server has a lot of demand for WvW and it hits the cap people are just screwed.

Well that is something I don't get why they didn't do overflow WVW servers either.....

well, 500 is not the cut off for low server as the article suggested.

Did counts using who of two low pop servers with two drastically different results.

One had a grand total of 59 people on, only 6 of which were level 50

Another low pop had 582 on, 155 of which were 50.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Its pretty simple though,

the game has done nothing but declined since launch and nothing has been added, or is BEING added that will be enough of significant draw-back to regain population.

The decline is only going to continue for the forseeable future.

medium server had 1044.  Less than 10% of those level 50

One *good* thing about SWTOR apparently is its not top heavy.  OF course that says bad things about the level 50 game lol

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Lets say its 80k, from what I remember a Dev on SWG saying that 20% play during any given time on average 80k / .20 = 400k.   Theirs about 400k actual players.    Not accounts, accounts could still be 1.2 million.     If all those 400k people had 3 accounts.  

No wonder why thier firing people and putting it on life support already.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

the game has done nothing but declined since launch and nothing has been added, or is BEING added that will be enough of significant draw-back to regain population.

Well they are addressing the biggest complaint by an enormous margin with their server merges, that alone will certainly draw people back.

Their level of decline isnt as steep as AoC or WAR, its closer to Rift, just Rift was faster to react with server closings and free transfers.  Im betting if SWtOR had free server transfers it would have significantly more people.

Enough like the game (Im not one of them), even if it is just for the IP.  Im betting once the mergers are done with it settles around 500k subs and make everyone wonder how its subs are so high.

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Lets say its 80k, from what I remember a Dev on SWG saying that 20% play during any given time on average 80k / .20 = 400k.   Theirs about 400k actual players.    Not accounts, accounts could still be 1.2 million.     If all those 400k people had 3 accounts.  

Someone said EvE has 50k peak CCU, and thats a 360k sub game.  80k would be SWtOR's average CCU, its peak would probably be double that.  Lowballing it a bit, say 125k, whch by EvEs ratio would be 900k subs.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Well they are addressing the biggest complaint by an enormous margin with their server merges, that alone will certainly draw people back.

You think? Not me, or any of my friends. We've all moved on.

I went back to Rift, and i'm messing about in LOTRO and AoC while I wait for GW2, but nothing will get me back to ToR.

A dull game with full servers is still a dull game.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Wow those are some scary looking figures and they do sound about right. I left in Feburary and the numbers he gave there aren't too far below what I was seeing on my server Vulkars Highway before my most timeley exit.

Good to see the wool finally beginning to be pulled away from this rather unsuccessful long-term project of SWTOR. To people enjoying the game. Simply try your best to continue enjoying it and you might want to stray away from most topics concerning this game and just play. It's bad now, but it's only going to get worst.

No knocks to those that do honestly enjoy the game, but this helps to weed out some of the just random posters that tried to support-troll this game.

/shrug

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I loved TOR when it came out. I really did. Every second of the first 35 levels was super fun for me, but then all of a sudden I felt no urge to get back on anymore. No urge to try to find groups for things. My server was almost dead at the time. I stopped playing for about a month, then went back felt the same fun I was having before, just to have the same weird issue where I had no urge to do anything anymore. It's probably just me, or some design flaw where it gets to repetetive, but usually I don't mind that kind of thing, seeing as I enjoy Lineage 2 and Diablo 3. I hope the server merges do some good to the game, and I hope that people still play it and it doesn't get abandoned like people are thinking, but for me this game isn't even good anymore.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Someone said EvE has 50k peak CCU, and thats a 360k sub game.  80k would be SWtOR's average CCU, its peak would probably be double that.  Lowballing it a bit, say 125k, whch by EvEs ratio would be 900k subs.

20% is the estimate I'm familiar with, too.  I think EVE might be an exception though, because of its real-time skill progression. Probably has a higher percentage of people who hold onto their accounts, just to keep their skills going up.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Originally posted by tixylix

EQ2 started doing this years ago, and you could change instances from the get go, I'm sure they will figure this out in GW2 as well :)