Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the setting too far fetched? (explain it to me)

VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

It seems that events like Kingsmouth happen in OUR world - right in front of everybody. These events have been happening for centuries, but nobody is aware of it, because the secret societies have kept it a secret.

Is that correct? Sounds incredibly far-fetched to me. Before playing the BWE, i though the secret world is actually sort of a  parallel dimension (like in Longest Journey, Dreamfall, or the anime Gantz). I liked that idea much more, makes more sense to me and sounds more mysterious.

What i don't understand is:

1) How the heck is it possible to keep all of that a secret for such a long time? And why even bother to keep it a secret?

2) Why are the player's "magic" abilites so important, if normal persons can see and interact with those events as well?

Hype train -> Reality

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

we don't owe you an explanation.  If you haven't played pen and paper role playings games like Call of Cthulhu, Kult, Bureau 13, Chill, The Whispering Vault, you might not be able to grok it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

^^^^ Amen, if you don't like/know the setting then why bother having us explain it to you seems to me it isnt gonna change your opinion anyway....

I'm not gonna splain nothing to you LUCY.....

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

The secret societies are suppose to be extremely powerfull. Look at Stonehenge, they have it covered up and even the Fusang Project is a gigantic area, but because they have power, apperantly, everywhere they can do these things. Also, magic.

However, are you seriously asking why things remain the same? it's an mmo, it's static. It's impossible to change the world in the level of what you speak. Kingsmouth will remain surrounded by the fog and secret simply because it has to be so. Again, it's an mmo.

Hey, all lore and story in mmorpg are giant cop-outs anyway. After, if factions in fantasy mmorpg are at war, why can't we conquer their main city and declare ultimate victory?

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Also, the game itself heavily features "conspiracy theories" that are even more far fetched than the conspiracy theory that three elite, magical and covert global factions can hide supernatural events from the larger population.

What I find interesting about posts like this is that it doesn't bother the OP that there are zombies, demons, ghosts, monsters, aliens and every other bit of earth mythology brought to life in this game.  No, what bothers the OP is that the coverup is too far fetched.

Realistic setting or not, this is still a fantasy game, and some imagination is required.  Suspension of disbelief is recommended.  Aren't all MMORPG games this way? 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence

It seems that events like Kingsmouth happen in OUR world - right in front of everybody. These events have been happening for centuries, but nobody is aware of it, because the secret societies have kept it a secret.

Is that correct? Sounds incredibly far-fetched to me. Before playing the BWE, i though the secret world is actually sort of a  parallel dimension (like in Longest Journey, Dreamfall, or the anime Gantz). I liked that idea much more, makes more sense to me and sounds more mysterious.

1) How the heck is it possible to keep all of that a secret for such a long time? And why even bother to keep it a secret?

2) Why are the player's "magic" abilites so important, if normal persons can see and interact with those events as well?

1, Isn't this the premise of shows such as fringe or supernatural or buffy the vampire slayer or any number of other stories out there? H.P. Lovecraft has some great but weird stuff.

2, I don't understand this question. If a normal person can see and interact with these events would they not be able to be more successful if they had magic? Or were great with a pistol or knew how to use a katana?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by waynejr2

we don't owe you an explanation.  If you haven't played pen and paper role playings games like Call of Cthulhu, Kult, Bureau 13, Chill, The Whispering Vault, you might not be able to grok it.

/thread

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by Sovrath

2, I don't understand this question. If a normal person can see and interact with these events would they not be able to be more successful if they had magic? Or were great with a pistol or knew how to use a katana?

Sure they're more powerfull - but why not send in the army as well? I mean, the apocalypse is about to hit, apparently. I don't understand what's the point of keeping it a secret at this point. Why not throw everything you got at it?

Hype train -> Reality

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Because that is the game setting we have been given!

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Sure they're more powerfull - but why not send in the army as well? I mean, the apocalypse is about to hit, apparently. I don't understand what's the point of keeping it a secret at this point. Why not throw everything you got at it?

Just...just don't play the game.   I think that would be easiest for everyone concerned.  How do you play ANY game with even an iotta of fantasy in it with that kind of overly critical analyzation of things?  I'd hate going to pretty much any movie with you..seriously..

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

We have to ask ourselves:  Why are we getting this setting and who is behind it all?......

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I suggest you read some conspiracy websites.  Theres alot of that belief out there.  Illuminati New World Order, Rothschild Zionism, 9/11 truthers, Fema Death Camps, UFOs, Monsanto GMO food, Flouride poisoning, False Flag Operations, Assasinations of highly regarded people (JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Princess Di, Elvis etc.), Mayan doomsday Prophecies, Mother Shipton Prophecies, Kolbrin bible, Suppression of Advanced Technology (cars that run on water), HAARP, Inner Earth entrance at the North Pole, Immunizations, Peak Oil and so many more.  A large segment of the population follow some of these theories. 

The mainstream media does not report on alot of subjects, its up to the individual to do some research and TSW is a game that kind of follows this style.  As for your 2nd question, normal people are not magically inclined so no, but the reason its important is; Do you not think it might help to fight Zombies, Demons from Hell, or other supernatural entities with a touch of magic?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I don't know the whole "through story" of The Secret World but it's possible it has to do with possibly defeating this stuff yet retaining whatever secrets/power for their own organization?

Maybe revealing that these things are real would compromise and reveal these secrete organizations so they have to clean up the mess themselves?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It needs more pointy toothed gnomes with giant robots and giant cat men with blunderbusses, that would make it more realistic.
  • cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

I don't know if the secrecy is so farfetched or special. I mean, look at series like The X-Files, Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Fringe, etc. In those shows all kinds of freaky stuff happen, often with world threatening proportions. Yet in all of them the vast majority of the world and even governments except for some shady shadow ops organisations is unaware of all the stuff that's going on. Even if sometimes whole towns are affected by the weirdness.

So it's a theme and setting that has been used time and time again in other franchises where most of the world is simply ignorant of the weird stuff that's happening.

In TSW military or parts of it is involved like with the Kingsmouth cordon, but everything is kept hush hush for the general public, just like in those other shows and books where the supernatural is happening in our modern day world, or like for example conspiracy theorists keep saying about for example Area 51. Not to forget that those secret organisations wield lots of power and influence.

The starting point of events in TSW is also the eve before the outbreak and escalation of the situation. Compare it with day 1 or the first days of the outbreak of the zombie apocalypse in other movies/franchises, where at first the powers that are in control strive for containment and media deflection to prevent worldwide panic and anarchy. Up till then for smaller crises of supernatural origin the methods of the societies were sufficient to handle it like that.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Secret world IS different world from ours. The towns are different. Its a world VERY close to how ours is, but some things are different. Very different.

It has those shadowy organizations who do not want to just "Save" the world, but also to WIN. Gain power. Also there are more powers beyond the three blocks.

AS for anima, well it has an important reason for exis-
    Hello. Council Of Venice now declares this thread as not existing. There's no secret world or conspiracies. Thank you very much and have a nice day.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Yuui

AS for anima, well it has an important reason for exis-
    Hello. Council Of Venice now declares this thread as not existing. There's no secret world or conspiracies. Thank you very much and have a nice day.

lol image

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It needs more pointy toothed gnomes with giant robots and giant cat men with blunderbusses, that would make it more realistic.

*this.

i mean, far-fetched as compared to what? the actual reality we live in? well ya. so are all the other mmo's and rpg's out there.

far-fetched just seems ... well it seems like too far-fetched a question to be asking about a videogame.

the only thing any kind of fiction needs to be 'believable' is internal consistency.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I can't wait for that mmo.

Pick your class "factory worker, cubicle drone, does stuff with the internet or between jobs"

Sounds really fun.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

We have to ask ourselves:  Why are we getting this setting and who is behind it all?......

LOL

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by BadSpock

LOL

it's funny cuz its True.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• My understanding is the premise of the game is that things have gone wildly out of proportion recently for some reason.

Kingsmouth is much larger and more ominous than previous things.  In the templar beginning stuff they mention that things are getting so out of hand that they are showing up on the news.

I may be wrong but I think they also mention there are alot more people manifesting magic talents.

So is a game based around conspiracies somehwat far fetched.  Um yes of course. 

But they do explain why the current setting is different than the past.  So it is at least somewhat plausible that if things were an order of magnitude smaller these various conspriacies may be able to keep a lid on it.

• Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Everything you got at what?

Part of the game is figuring out what the deuce is going on.

• Originally posted by ShakyMo

Are they cats or cows?  Or cow cats?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Is that correct? Sounds incredibly far-fetched to me.

The question is, does it sound far-fetched:

a) because of moderate and possibly rational skepticism, or

b) an inability to suspend disbelief in the name of entertainment?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Originally posted by Icewhite
    Is that correct? Sounds incredibly far-fetched to me.

The question is, does it sound far-fetched:

a) because of moderate and possibly rational skepticism, or

b) an inability to suspend disbelief in the name of entertainment?

or

c) you have been brain-washed by the illuminati and don't know it