Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perma-death the Path of Exiles way

So for those of you who don't know Path of Exiles is an online ARPG (diablo like) free to play always online game.  No its not an MMORPG, although I guess its close since you can join up with people in towns or whatever.

Anyway their "hardcore" mode is a new twist on things.  You play in the hardcore league with other people who are hardcore.  If you die, ever, you are bumped into the normal league.  It doesn't delete your character, but you can never plahy that character in hardcore mode again.

So do you think an MMO with this paradigm would be good?

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by gestalt11

So for those of you who don't know Path of Exiles is an online ARPG (diablo like) free to play always online game.  No its not an MMORPG, although I guess its close since you can join up with people in towns or whatever.

Anyway their "hardcore" mode is a new twist on things.  You play in the hardcore league with other people who are hardcore.  If you die, ever, you are bumped into the normal league.  It doesn't delete your character, but you can never plahy that character in hardcore mode again.

No, it works well for ARPG's but wouldn't work well at all for MMORPG's. Think about it....having a "Hardcore" & "Normal" server ruleset? Dividing a game's population like that is always asking for trouble.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Played the game in hardcore mode once through. Didn't die once. Got bored. Quit.

Hardcore or no hardcore, I don't care either way. I'm not affected by it. I just want a good game.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Played the game in hardcore mode once through. Didn't die once. Got bored. Quit.

Hardcore or no hardcore, I don't care either way. I'm not affected by it. I just want a good game.

So you played hardcore in "Normal" mode, and ignored the other 3? 

The game doesn't start until Ruthless :). Saying you played all the way to merciless in hardcore and got "Bored" is silly. 

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Just stick to using the term "Diabo-like games" if it is those you are refering to, because the Action RPG genre is much larger than just Diablo. 

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I personally would love this. But i can understand why harcore players wouldnt want this. 

I t would still hurt being demoted to teh normies :P but obviously wouldnt be the pain that is permadeath

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

I can already play using a perma death option in any MMO on the market. I would rather a developer put their resources into actual gameplay systems rather than a mechanic that adds nothing that I can't already do on my own.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by Quirhid

So you played hardcore in "Normal" mode, and ignored the other 3? 

The game doesn't start until Ruthless :). Saying you played all the way to merciless in hardcore and got "Bored" is silly. 

The endgame better be pretty freakin' amazing to be worth to get there. No, I think not. Its hardly my fault it didn't hold my interest past the normal difficulty. I'm rarely surprised by games these these days. I thought PoE just wasn't original enough or good enough improvement to the ARPG formula. The passive skill tree was worth checking out. Other than that: Meh.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

If the game is good, I'd play it (which is what the poll is asking)... though I doubt I'd care about the hardcore mode, most likely just stay in normal mode forever.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137

Before we even start:

There is any diference between this hardcore league and the normal one, other than the fact that if you die in the hardcore one you will never be able to go back?

• Originally posted by exdeathbr

Before we even start:

There is any diference between this hardcore league and the normal one, other than the fact that if you die in the hardcore one you will never be able to go back?

Honestly I don't know, not an expert or beta tester of the game.

Diablo 2 rewarded with better stuff in hardcore (which personally I thought was stupid).  I am leaning towards the idea that POE does not since they bump you down, but I could be wrong.

What do you think would be the right way to handle it?

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

In my view, perma-death is an optional game wode that does not, will not work in any well-developed, extensive MMORPG's. It will stay in some niche ala Ream of the Mad God.

As an HC player, I didn't like PoE's approach. When I die in HC, I want to die. Not get demoted to a different league.

Diablo 2 rewarded with better stuff in hardcore.

That's a myth, lol

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

I think a similar concept in a MMO could be made to work but I don't think this particular idea alone would make it work. I think a games success would be depend on alot more than just this even though it's failure mighten need to be. So no vote from me.