Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So diablo 3 has no competition?

Comments

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Z3R01

No one could compete with Blizzard.

Wow has over ten million subs while every other mmo struggles to keep 1 million.

Starcraft 2 dominates the eSport scene, can you name the second most popular RTS? oh its Starcraft 1.

Diablo 3 sells 6 million copies in the first week... while other ARpg developers need to beg on kickstarter, go Free to play or offer their game at a pathetic indie discount.

While I do not think highly at all of Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and of course, Blizzard's behemoth, WoW, the flip side to all this is:

People still think PC gaming is dead?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Warmaker

No one could compete with Blizzard.

Wow has over ten million subs while every other mmo struggles to keep 1 million.

Starcraft 2 dominates the eSport scene, can you name the second most popular RTS? oh its Starcraft 1.

Diablo 3 sells 6 million copies in the first week... while other ARpg developers need to beg on kickstarter, go Free to play or offer their game at a pathetic indie discount.

While I do not think highly at all of Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and of course, Blizzard's behemoth, WoW, the flip side to all this is:

People still think PC gaming is dead?

Personally I prefer PC gaming typically to console. Although some awesome games are console only. Anyone who says PC gaming is dead is WRONG.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Star Wars The Old Republic
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Originally posted by Resiakraw
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I reluctantly purchased D3, but I am having a blast, I like just hanging out and killing shit.

I wonder though why we have never seen an actual MMO developed like Diablo, filled with random instanced dungeons, random loot, but about 5 or so more classes, and it would be awesome

You should try Path of Exile. Very similar to Diablo but more of an MMO. I guess I wouldnt really consider it a full MMO, mor eof a town hub system like in GW1 where your ethere with other people int own then go off into your own instance. One difference being you can still chat in global even when in your instance, youre not completely isolated from the rest of the players.

D3 has a global chat feature as well, while your in a dungeon you can chat with others on the servers,  although it' s like WOW general chat

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Funny thing is, a lot of people feel PoE is more of a true succesor to Diablo 1 & 2 than Diablo 3 is. Ive got to say it is a pretty damn good game, F2P or not. And the skill and passives system and customization with builds is great.

Define "a lot of people". PoE is not a well done game. The skills system is terrible if you spend some time with it. I've wrote a review of sorts on it in the PoE forums. Nor does PoE really share much with DII. They'd be better off if they kept things like classes or skill trees, right now it's its own thing and I would say a mess of things.

It's definitely not a competitor to DIII in any way. It just gets far less flak since it's not as popular and doesn't get all the nitpicking attention at every feature of the game. If you sent all the people flooding b.net forums with complaints atm at Path of Exile, DIII crticisms would seem like a joke.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Actualy it has more competition this year than it would have had any other year. Solid competition too.

Just because it might crush said competition doesn't mean it's not there.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by Bobbie203

So there is no stopping blizzard's diablo 3 from making so much money? NO competion at all?

its sad really, i heard negative reviews but wtf is going on why is blizzard swimming in an ocean of money for diablo 3.

there is no stopping blizzard from taking over the world?

Quick! Knock on wood! Quick--before ten publishers realize this has 6 million players and force their zergling developers to usher out a B-rated clone!

Actually, we have/had some great dungeon crawlers. Path of Exile being a new one and Dungeon Runners being an old one (While it was jokeish, it was diablo in a nutshell.)

I'm quite content with D3 being as is. However, I would like to see what a lobby trinity-style dungeon-running diablo-like game would be. It sounds fun! 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I think Path of Exile and Torchlight 2 are the only two competitors that will make Diablo 3 lose any players. Torchlight 2 after playing it was not nearly as good as I had hoped compared to Diablo, and Path of Exile is pretty much Diablo 2 with better graphics and a crazy (if not really annoying) skill system. I will be playing Path of Exile and Diablo probably side by side, but right now I can't see me leaving it for any of the clones, just because it does it better than them.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Ummm for every person I hear complain about Diablo 3 I hear another 25 people after  or before say how much they love it.  I personally can't find that many flaws with it. I am enjoying myself with many of my gamer friends.  It brought many of us back together and all playing the same game again... The game is great nuff said.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

D3 has competition...

as others have said POE being the main one at the moment..

I didnt mind D3 when i beta tested it and was actually going to buy it until I played Path of Exile and was blown away.. POE is everything D3 should ahve been... so i didnt buy D3.. Instead i donated towards the development of POE and got instant access to the awesome game it already is :)

Now I have a few mates playing as well its even better :)

Others are also on the way and have alreadt been mentinoed here.

• DrughiDrughi Member Posts: 174

wait for torchlight II and lineage eternal, we will see ..

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Typical Blizzard hate post.

Blizzard give tons of people fun times and good memories, especially with this latest game. Might not be you anymore but I bet it once was, otherwise you'd have no reason to want them to fail.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    While I enjoyed the TL2 beta and am a paid supporter of PoE, neither is as good as D3. And TL2 is superior to PoE by a good margin on top of that. Yes there are some whiny babies who are complaining that D3 wasn't developed with just them in mind, but it's fun and the ground work is there for another blizzard classic.

Everyone remembers D2 with the LoD expansion,, but vanilla D2 left a lot to be desired.
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

OP, why you want to stop the sales of D3 / Blizzard ?

I dont care about Diablo series, neither i care about if 6 or 100 millions buy the game... why should someone not intersted on the game care about that?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

(...)

What the hell are you talking about? Oh right, you may be one of those who conveniently forget about an entire world of games simply because of a fettish for PCs rather than being openminded about all platforms.

Dark Souls was released in October 2011, is an Action RPG, did not rely on kickstarter, did not go Free to Play and did not offer any indie discount. Wake up, the world is langer than you pretend it to be. See http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1197544p1.html.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by coretex666
    Well the only competition is TL 2 and PoE none of which is a direct competitor, in my opinion.I see Diablo as BMW car which offers quality for higher price comparing to TL and PoE being like Kia car which is aimed for people who sacrifice quality to save some cash.

TL2 is at least a Hyundai. Honda even.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

If by 'competition' you mean if any other game will sell more than Diablow 3, then no its most likely not.

To make money, you need money. And Blizzard got enough of money to advertise this game from ground up to orbit. So it could be a real stinker of a game, but weak minded people would just go for the fancy adverts and buy the box. But Diablow 3 isnt just crap, its kinda fun to play for some people so advertising it will do it more good than harm.

None of the competitors got enough money to advertise their games like Blizzard so they lose out on this aspect and lets be honest here, the ONLY reason Diablow 3 will sell millions is because its Called Diablo 3 and its made by a company called Blizzard. If this exact game was called something like Action Dungeon Fighter 1 and made by No Name Studios, Most people wouldnt wipe their arse with it while Diablo fangirls would be spraying vitriol over it day and night for screwing the ARPG genre up with Asian style RMAHs and Forced online play.

And I second that post from the poster who said that Blizzard released early to thwart potential competition. Its a common business practice so I dont know why some refuse to believe this. Just look at how horrendous their launch was, their servers werent ready for the flood of logins at launch because the systems werent given a good-to-go, ie were Not prepared to handle the stress just yet. It was pushed out before all was fine and dandy because it Needed to launch before any of the other ARPGs did. Shows that Blizzard is actually in for the money, and not providing a solid gameplaying experience without hiccups to all its customers.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by RainBringer

If by 'competition' you mean if any other game will sell more than Diablow 3, then no its most likely not.

To make money, you need money. And Blizzard got enough of money to advertise this game from ground up to orbit. So it could be a real stinker of a game, but weak minded people would just go for the fancy adverts and buy the box. But Diablow 3 isnt just crap, its kinda fun to play for some people so advertising it will do it more good than harm.

None of the competitors got enough money to advertise their games like Blizzard so they lose out on this aspect and lets be honest here, the ONLY reason Diablow 3 will sell millions is because its Called Diablo 3 and its made by a company called Blizzard. If this exact game was called something like Action Dungeon Fighter 1 and made by No Name Studios, Most people wouldnt wipe their arse with it while Diablo fangirls would be spraying vitriol over it day and night for screwing the ARPG genre up with Asian style RMAHs and Forced online play.

And I second that post from the poster who said that Blizzard released early to thwart potential competition. Its a common business practice so I dont know why some refuse to believe this. Just look at how horrendous their launch was, their servers werent ready for the flood of logins at launch because the systems werent given a good-to-go, ie were Not prepared to handle the stress just yet. It was pushed out before all was fine and dandy because it Needed to launch before any of the other ARPGs did. Shows that Blizzard is actually in for the money, and not providing a solid gameplaying experience without hiccups to all its customers.

You mad bro?

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
  • JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

Diablo 2

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

(...)

What the hell are you talking about? Oh right, you may be one of those who conveniently forget about an entire world of games simply because of a fettish for PCs rather than being openminded about all platforms.

Dark Souls was released in October 2011, is an Action RPG, did not rely on kickstarter, did not go Free to Play and did not offer any indie discount. Wake up, the world is langer than you pretend it to be. See http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1197544p1.html.

While Diablo 3 and Dark Souls do share some features, they're still very different games, that both wear the Action RPG tag. Why bring console games in the mix here? I know that Dark Souls is coming to the PC, but to be honest, I'm not impressed with console ports these last few years. To bad that Dark Souls doesn't feature a dungeon randomizer by the way, that would make the game so much more interesting for me.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by Horusra

You mad bro?

No I am not. I reckon you want to pull out some WoW meme to look 'cool' over the internet or whatever that floats your boat, but you have shown poor effort here, son.

Would you like to try harder next time or just settle down and get back under whatever bridge you crawled out from?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by MikkelB
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

(...)

While Diablo 3 and Dark Souls do share some features, they're still very different games, that both wear the Action RPG tag. Why bring console games in the mix here? I know that Dark Souls is coming to the PC, but to be honest, I'm not impressed with console ports these last few years. To bad that Dark Souls doesn't feature a dungeon randomizer by the way, that would make the game so much more interesting for me.

Because the person to whom  I replied,  used the term "Action RPG" and not "Diablo-clone". As such he is generalizing to all games within the Action RPG genre regardless of platform. 

Edit: Furthermore, when talking about games in general, there is no reason to exclude certain games due to their main platform. In fact, there is little if any reason to ever exclude any game due to their platform when talking about genres. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Who cares how many people bought it. More people bought swtor than eve.
    Lots of people watch Michael bay "movies"
    Justin beiber is a best selling "artist"

I don't give a rats arse how popular something is, I just care whether its good or not.
  • OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Stick with the professionals rather than the emos at Metacritic and Amazon. It is actually receiving pretty good reviews.

Can you link some positive reviews, please? I've read things like DRM is a headache (online single player with servers going down), 12.5 hours to finish the game, D3 feels too much like D2 which is too much like D1 (1996 all over again) and so on. I haven't read any reviews that say things like D3 is a refreshing evolution of the genre with much anticipated and highly praised features such as "blah meh blah" but would love to read those reviews if you don't mind posting your favorite positive review.

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by kirak2009
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I reluctantly purchased D3, but I am having a blast, I like just hanging out and killing shit.

I wonder though why we have never seen an actual MMO developed like Diablo, filled with random instanced dungeons, random loot, but about 5 or so more classes, and it would be awesome

You should try Path of Exile. Very similar to Diablo but more of an MMO. I guess I wouldnt really consider it a full MMO, mor eof a town hub system like in GW1 where your ethere with other people int own then go off into your own instance. One difference being you can still chat in global even when in your instance, youre not completely isolated from the rest of the players.

D3 has a global chat feature as well, while your in a dungeon you can chat with others on the servers,  although it' s like WOW general chat

Was comparing PoE being sort of a town hub style game like GW, except for the global chat, not comparing it to D3.