Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Tera can do to improve it's fan base.

robinette08robinette08 Member Posts: 4

Tera needs to improve it's fan base, In my personal opinion i believe it needs to advertise more thoroughly if anyone has better ideas please comment.

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I currently have my account, I get really bored questing on this game because I can't really handle going back to text-box lame grind out quests after SWTOR's system, say what you will about it that games quest presentation is vastly superior to any other game right now, and I'm glad to see future games are following suit. I think this is really one thing contributing to many people not even trying the game, they've seen it for years, they know what kind of game it is already, they've seen that the special thing about TERA is the combat, and for many people that's not really enough to bring them in. Just like having great storytelling isn't enough to bring people in forever.

That being said, they do lack in advertising. I see a lot of banners everywhere, though but I don't think many people pay attention to that form of advertising anymore if they see them at all. This is a game that will have it's fan-base it probably won't get too low, or too high. My biggest suggestions would be to grow the game in ways outside of PvP and questing. This game would make a great game for some sandbox elements such as housing and guild cities or something for pvp.

• beej1986beej1986 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by robinette08

Tera needs to improve it's fan base, In my personal opinion i believe it needs to advertise more thoroughly if anyone has better ideas please comment.

This game is advertised everywhere. Let's face it those interested in this type of game know about Tera, and many are hitting high levels are realize this game is more of the same. Not trolling just being real.

CENTER]image[/CENTER]

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by beej1986

This game is advertised everywhere. Let's face it those interested in this type of game know about Tera, and many are hitting high levels are realize this game is more of the same. Not trolling just being real.

The only advertising TERA had anywhere was mainly from fans right up until release, now it's just some banners on gaming sites, I can ask people on non-gaming forums or at work if they know what GW2 or Diablo3 is and they will say yes, TERA, not a chance.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

Well, if there's ever been an MMO that could run an attractive commercial with an "actual game footage" tag at the bottom, TERA is it.  =)

Perhaps they missplayed their hand a little bit in the months leading up to release, I don't know.  A major content expansion would seem to be the next real opportunity to really advertise the game I think.

If it were me calling the shots, I'd get some sort of competitive pvp series up and running, and then advertise it at the major MMO player hangouts.  The action combat is the game's primary selling point -- and pvp makes far better use of it than the existing pve content does -- give players a venue to enjoy it without the stuff that turns people off about pve and world pvp.  One division could be F2P with limits on abilities and gear and no rewards (other than the satisfaction of winning) to give people the chance to try the combat out.

I'd also try to get hooked in with some media outlets for interviews with the vanarchs to discuss TERA's political process adn the policies they've enacted.  I know there's a guild on my server trying to promote no-world-pvp weekends as one of their campaign issues on the grounds that new players should get some time to level and enjoy the game without level 60s one-shotting them when they cross the bridge at Lumbertown.  Agree or not with them, I think things like that would draw attention to the community aspects of the game.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

they dont need to. its not their business model. they make money from their initial box sales and the next month or so sub, then milk the rest of whats left with item mall. enmasse doesnt seem like a legit game company, just a small time publisher that is here to make a quick buck off of TERA port and run. if you look at their website they dont have any licenses for any other games, instead they have a big "Coming Soon" sign, which is pretty fricking bad for potential investors because it shows that enmasse has no real plan for future ventures.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Do you really mean improve, or did you mean increase?

If you really did mean improve, where are they going to get better gamers from? and who is going to decide who is a better gamer or not?

If you meant to say increase, well, if they had a better levelling experience in the game, that might draw a few more subscribers to it, or they could drop the subcription and go F2P, that seems to be the way to go these days for more active players.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

go f2p.

No other option.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by A_hi

go f2p.

No other option.

More players does not equate to being better in that case. We shall see where the future lies, hopefully positive but I am unsure.

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Valentina

I currently have my account, I get really bored questing on this game because I can't really handle going back to text-box lame grind out quests after SWTOR's system, say what you will about it that games quest presentation is vastly superior to any other game right now, and I'm glad to see future games are following suit. I think this is really one thing contributing to many people not even trying the game, they've seen it for years, they know what kind of game it is already, they've seen that the special thing about TERA is the combat, and for many people that's not really enough to bring them in. Just like having great storytelling isn't enough to bring people in forever.

That being said, they do lack in advertising. I see a lot of banners everywhere, though but I don't think many people pay attention to that form of advertising anymore if they see them at all. This is a game that will have it's fan-base it probably won't get too low, or too high. My biggest suggestions would be to grow the game in ways outside of PvP and questing. This game would make a great game for some sandbox elements such as housing and guild cities or something for pvp.

Now, if someone made a game that had combat like Tera and questing/personal story like SWtOR, I'd be a happy gamer.  As it is, I can't stomach SWtOR's similarities to the 500 # MMORPG gorilla, and don't play it, and Tera combat is great in small doses, but ti does not feel like a lon-term game to me.

As to ads, I've seen more ads for F2P browser games than I have for Tera.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Scarlyng

Now, if someone made a game that had combat like Tera and questing/personal story like SWtOR, I'd be a happy gamer.  As it is, I can't stomach SWtOR's similarities to the 500 # MMORPG gorilla, and don't play it, and Tera combat is great in small doses, but ti does not feel like a lon-term game to me.

You are not alone...

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/05/02

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Eastern games dont do well in the west.  

Its probably doing better than Aion did in the west.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Tera is basically just another MMO with a new skin.   It gets old really fast, sadly.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

MMO's these day are about getting my moneys worth. If I spend 60+ hours in the game then I'm fine with it. The days of spending a year or two playing the same mmo have been disappearing. Get your moneys worth then move on I say.