Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Release Delayed By Two Weeks

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has officially announced that the release date for The Secret World will be delayed by two weeks. TSW will hit store shelves on July 3rd with the head start program for those prepurchasing the game to begin on June 29th. The delay and new release dates were announced during a financial briefing with investors.

Funcom today announced that the company has made a small adjustment to the release date for The Secret World. Due to market reasons, the ship date has been moved by two weeks to July 3rd, with Early Access starting June 29th. The new launch date places The Secret World in a more positive launch window which will benefit the launch of the game.

In addition to the above, the beta weekends have been dated:

• June 15-17

• June 22-24

Read the full announcement on the Funcom The Secret World site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

hmm, preorder-- check.

birthday july 1st.

the entire week of the 4th off and not going anywhere.  great birthday present for me at least. 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Apparently they need 280k subs to stop loosing money and wish they get 500k. They need this time to market the game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Bit sloppy work on their part, as they spammed people just yesterday about the next beta weekend being June 1st till June 3rd!

And now a day later they pospone release date by two weeks and cancel the June 1-3 beta weekend!

/shrug

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Bit sloppy work on their part, as they spammed people just yesterday about the next beta weekend being June 1st till June 3rd!

And now a day later they pospone release date by two weeks and cancel the June 1-3 beta weekend!

/shrug

I'm going to put a tin foil hat but I think there is a high propability of gW2's beta weekend beeing 1-3rd June. I doubt they want to compete with that when it's quite obvious those betas are a marketing tool to create interest.

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by QSatu

/shrug

I'm going to put a tin foil hat but I think there is a high propability of gW2's beta weekend beeing 1-3rd June. I doubt they want to compete with that when it's quite obvious those betas are a marketing tool to create interest.

Agreed, though I think its debatable how much the market between the two games overlap.

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Had they said that they were postponing it because they are polishing the game after getting player feedback from the betas, I would have stood up and applauded...but wth is a positive launch window, what are they talking about?

Originally posted by marz.at.play

Had they said that they were postponing it because they are polishing the game after getting player feedback from the betas, I would have stood up and applauded...but wth is a positive launch window, what are they talking about?

It's a PR spin, because how can you possibly say that moving the release date straight into the beginning of the Major Holiday season is a positive launch window??  Boggles my mind!

Especially for people that pre-ordered (like me) this just sucks, as stores usually only keep your box in reservation for a week or so, before selling it on! /facepalm

Originally posted by Finit

/shrug

Agreed, though I think its debatable how much the market between the two games overlap.

You know what is hilarious and just shows Funcom's incompetence again:

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/the-secret-world/deals-promotions

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Gamers gamers, people, stuff like this happens, gamers whine when a game is unhfinished, and then cry when its released 2 weeks later,  I mean make up your mind, do you want a unfinshed game so youc an complain about that??   Stuff like this happens, I know when I'm making a game, something happens out of the blue and I need to delay, the issue was NOT there the day before, so TSW devs might have caught something , causing this and my guess is it happen, which is something that is game breaking so, I'm glad thus post pone it because if they didn't the game could of been a complete failure at launch because of them NOT delaying for 2 weeks.. So for you gamers to cry about this boggles my mind...

My advice go make a simple game and just maybe you will understand a bit more... /roll eyes.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I really wish the cynicism on these forums would stop...or at least slow down on the hate train. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

There's like 7 threads on this now. Why?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by marz.at.play

They surely did not lol.
    http://l3cdn.funcom.com/funcomportal/pdf/investor/2012/funcom_1Q12_presentation.pdf

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    I don't believe it was delayed because of marketing. It was delayed because they need more time to developing it. Having played 2 BWEs already I think they need a lot more time than just 2 weeks. TSW needs to be pushed to Decemeber.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Like 2 weeks is going to help them ? Yeah ok....

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

The life of an independent. They aint sold out yet. Still gamers making games for gamers. Despite the struggle you have to respect the path.

If TSW is a hit, they still have the chance of being the Blizzard, the NCsoft, the EA. The chance. Nothing like a few hundred million per year to get the ball rolling. 

Funcom truly is a small independent swimming in an ocean of  Activision-Blizzards, NCsofts, and EA sharks.

here's to the little guy. Go gettem!

• johnnyblancojohnnyblanco Member Posts: 11

KNEW this was going to happen as I played the beta and lots of things were broken. When I reported the items I got no feedback or anything else so I stopped playing altogether. This game is an excercise in frustration and while it sounds cool it falls REALLY short. I am sorry that people pre-ordered this as it's my prediction it'll go F2P in six months.

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60

It's another sell-the-customer-a-beta-version-and-hope-for-the-best plan.  December would be the actual finished product date most likely, so be aware purchasers you will be in beta for six more months at least.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Nothing wrong with a 2weeks push back. Just hope the game is still the same game since most games today are nothing at launch like what was beta tested. I am betting GW2 isn't anything like it was a launch if we even see that launch this year.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I found the beta less buggy than gw2 beta weekend and the swtor launch. Especially game performance / frame rates. To be fair gw2 could be months and months off though. It's nothing like Aoc beta, hell it plays betters than Aoc does now. Not as smooth beta as rift though.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by johnnyblanco

KNEW this was going to happen as I played the beta and lots of things were broken. When I reported the items I got no feedback or anything else so I stopped playing altogether. This game is an excercise in frustration and while it sounds cool it falls REALLY short. I am sorry that people pre-ordered this as it's my prediction it'll go F2P in six months.

It's a beta you are supposed to be reporting broken items. Feedback? there are hundreds of players who are also (hopefully) reporting items as well. So everyone should get feedback for every items they report?

This sounds more like a tantrum.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Well, at least Funcom are being realistic about it and are delaying the game, even if it's only 2 weeks. I don't believe that whole marketing nonsense, everyone who has played the game, and can look at it without rose colored glasses, understands that TSW needs more time in development. Hopefully 2 weeks will be enough.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Just wish there was a solid date on GW2 so I could plan what games I'll be playing when for the coming months and/or years :P

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Apparently they need 280k subs to stop loosing money and wish they get 500k. They need this time to market the game.

According to the forward looking statements, they will be making 43 million dollars a year in profit with 280k subscribers. To stop loosing money they need maybe half that number.

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Just wish there was a solid date on GW2 so I could plan what games I'll be playing when for the coming months and/or years :P

I was hoping the same thing.

I planned for TSW to hold me over (worse case scenario) until GW2 came out. I only play one MMO at a time by preference. I am between MMOs right now and didn't want to start one knowing that TSW was coming out 19 Jun 2012. Now I have to find something to fill the void since I can't hold out another 5+ weeks without a game to play.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

Honestly, 2 weeks wont cut it.

TSW can be good, but buying themself 2 weeks isn't enough for the finish it needs to get a solid launch.

But I guess they are going to rush it out, like with their previous MMOs :(