Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Targeting the MMO Market

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elder Scrolls Online has taken the MMO community by storm with both supporters and detractors weighing in on the discussion. Devs are aimed squarely at this particular market. We take a look at why that's the goal and some of the challenges devs will face. Read on!

The biggest is the single player experience that Elder Scrolls has set the bar with. In terms of RPGs not too many games can hold a candle to Oblivion and Skyrim. Both games gave an incredible new depth to the single player experience. That aspect most certainly has to be in the game. From what Matt Firor mentioned in his interview the IP lends itself to a fantastic experience and the team is trying to make sure they live up to the single player awesome that goes with Elder Scrolls.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Elder Scrolls Online: Targeting the MMO Market.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    As long as its not a WoW clone like SWToR ill be happy. Give me DAOC type RvR as well as decent dynamic combat quests, good combat (mounted too) and a live community and ill be all over it
  • DicksOnFireDicksOnFire Member UncommonPosts: 3

Bethesda's not making the game though, it's being deveolped by Zenimax Online Studios. 

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Yes, Bethesda has nothing to do with the game besides supplying some lore.  Bethesda will continue to develop the single player franchise thankfully.  Might want to change that in the article.  Seems like a pretty common mistake. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I just dont' really agree with their philosophy on all this.

It's like they decided to make an Elder Scrolls game that will appeal to existing fans of WoW and other popular MMO's, instead of making an Elder Scrolls game that would bring the Elder Scrolls experience into the MMO realm.  And really, I just think that's wrong.

Way back in the day, I felt like MMO's really tried to bring the RPG experience of a game we know and love into a massive persistent world.  I mean, look at UO.  It's pretty similar to Ultima really, it just lets you play Ultima in a virtual world.  Same with FFXI.

But ESO?  It doesn't seem similar to Elder Scrolls at all, it seems more like DAoC and WoW.  It's just not going to deliver us that "Elder Scrolls experience" in a virtual world and that's disappointing.

We have more than enough games that are like DAoC and WoW.  Why couldn't they bring us a game that brings everything wonderful and unique about the Elder Scrolls into the online realm instead of just taking the easy way out?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• darkchewydarkchewy Member Posts: 8

It seems Zenimax wants to milk some money from this franchise but sadly they gonna ruin it with bad graphic+tab targeting spam action+%100solo playing.

Greedy developers gonna eat one more good franchise ...

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Originally posted by Creslin321

It's like they decided to make an Elder Scrolls game that will appeal to existing fans of WoW and other popular MMO's, instead of making an Elder Scrolls game that would bring the Elder Scrolls experience into the MMO realm.  And really, I just think that's wrong.

Well if you think about it, that's exactly what they are doing.  The game is being aimed a slightly different market, so that they can continue making their single player TES games.

If they make the online version exactly like Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind, they are effectively ending the single player version.  If there was an online version of the single player game they would have to completely change them because no one would buy the single player version when you can play the online version.  Why not make both?  I wouldn't call it greed, it's just seems like smart business.  I know we all want a Skyrim Online, but in the end, for me personally I would like them to continue to make the single player game. 

Maybe this game will be good, we just don't know right now.  It could be awful as well.  There still isn't a lot of info out now.  Hopefully this summer we can get more.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

if it doesn't drive like a mustang, it's not a mustang. you can't put racing stripes and a "mustang" decals on a honda civic and call it a mustang, and that's what Zenimx is doing.

nobody is fooled.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

They should've just made Elder Scrolls VI and used the Diablo 3 model. Connected to a server, able to chat with other players and hop in and out of other people's games, with enemies getting stronger if more players are in the game.

If they bothered to listen to the market instead of the imaginary cash jingling in their pockets they would see that all we've been asking for is a quality Elder Scrolls game with multiplayer functionality.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Vonatar

They should've just made Elder Scrolls VI and used the Diablo 3 model. Connected to a server, able to chat with other players and hop in and out of other people's games, with enemies getting stronger if more players are in the game.

If they bothered to listen to the market instead of the imaginary cash jingling in their pockets they would see that all we've been asking for is a quality Elder Scrolls game with multiplayer functionality.

For true elder scrolls fans this is pretty much spot on.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Way back in the day, I felt like MMO's really tried to bring the RPG experience of a game we know and love into a massive persistent world.  I mean, look at UO.  It's pretty similar to Ultima really, it just lets you play Ultima in a virtual world.  Same with FFXI.

But ESO?  It doesn't seem similar to Elder Scrolls at all, it seems more like DAoC and WoW.  It's just not going to deliver us that "Elder Scrolls experience" in a virtual world and that's disappointing.

We have more than enough games that are like DAoC and WoW.  Why couldn't they bring us a game that brings everything wonderful and unique about the Elder Scrolls into the online realm instead of just taking the easy way out?

This topic gets me flustered, because I'm absolutely disgusted by their major design decisions. You did a great job summarizing my feelings regarding ES:O, without the belligerence or vulgarity that can tarnish my sentiment. Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about.

<3

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I don't see how anyone who says they're an ES fan could read about his game and be excited for it.

I also don't see how anyone who doesn't play MMO's, but is a fan of the ES games would read about this game and want to play it.

If it's lacking all of the things that make the ES games great, why would ES fans be excited for it.  To say that because it's an MMO it has to play a certain way is a bunch of BS.  There is no unwritten rule tha says an MMO is supposed to be a linear, single player story driven, race/ faction locked, class based mmo with no real sandbox elements in it, and that's what they're making with this game.

I'd really like to hear the impression of the author of the first article about TESO that was written here, when the game was announced.  I got the very distinct impression that that individual very much expect an ES mmo that played much like the single player games. 

Now let me ask this.  How would people feel if Beth announced that they were making ES vi, but they wanted to move it into a more mainstream market so they're going to make the game play more like Dragon Age.  Instead of forging your own adventure you'll select a class with preset skills.  Instead of focusing on world development they're going to focus on Story narative.  They'll still let you explore the world, but due the class designs you may not be able to do certain content unless you level up first.  To make the game appeal to a wider audience, they're going to remove much of the fluff stuff that they think maybe people wouldn't care so much about, and instead put most of the emphasis on fighting monsters and playing through the story.  No more having a house, no more crafting, no more killing NPC's, and reducing the visuals so that they run on more machines, as well as removing most of the world interaction. 

How many ES fans would except that from Bethesda? 

Just because it's being made by ZeniOnlne, and just because it's an MMO, doesn't mean it's not an ES game.  When you remove all the elements that make ES, ES; including the lore that one of the devs admitted isn't even considered to be canon by the guys at Bethesda, the only thin you're left with is a game with the ES in the title and names on a map that you might be familliar with.

In the end, DAoC had far fewer followers then even SWG, people playing WoW are going to continue playing WoW, and ES fans who don't play MMO's aren't going to play a game that has next to nothing in common with the singleplayer games, they're going to wait until the ESvi releases and play it; not this.

Not even the media should be cutting them slack.  Once an ES mmo releases that is nothing but a DAoC/ ToR/ WoW ripoff, those people that have always wanted to play a real ES MMO will not get that option.  They won't make the game a second time, and we'll still be stuck with underfunded, indie developed MMO that never reach their real potential, but have more in common with ES then this game will.  That's not fair to the FANS of the game.  

I'm very dissapointed with the tone of this article.  3 faction pvp does not an ES mmo make.  ES is synonymous with a specific type of gameplay, and MMO's are still RPG.  There is absolutely no reason that an ES mmo could not be the sandbox mmo that EVERYONE EXPECTED when they announced they were making the game. 

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

I agree with Dimasok that if it has DAoC type warfare and a good community set in the Elder Scroll universe I'll be happy enough.  The combat type doesn't bother me which way they go.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

it will fail, miserably.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

The thread Title should be - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tab Targeting the MMO Market

Just another Themepark Clone

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by buegur

I agree with Dimasok that if it has DAoC type warfare and a good community set in the Elder Scroll universe I'll be happy enough.  The combat type doesn't bother me which way they go.

May ask?

Combat mechanics aside, because I do agree with that idea.  It doesn't bother you that it'll be a class/ level based character progression, with quest driven leveling, an ephasis on a single player storyline that incorporates heavy use of phasing, and an engame pvp system that is doesn't really have a true purpose? (They said that the winning faction will have a ruler designated based on who contributed the most during the fighting, but that it's only a title and has no impact on the game.  The ruler is only a ruler because the game says he is, but he can't do anything in the position and it's only a "bragging right".  That's straight from the developers mouth)  As well as all the lore they're writting for the game has been admitted to not being considered canon by the guys at Bethesda.

None of that bothers you as long as it's 3 faction pvp, in the ES universe?

It's just bewildering to me that some people would only care about the 3 faction pvp, yet DAoC never shut down their servers.  If that's all people want, and if DAoC does it so well, why aren't people just playing DAoC then?

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

The first challenge for the developers:

Make a GAME, not an MMO.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I really do not see how anyone can get excited about this game, if it ever does make it live.  Just another Wow clone with a few differences.

I will continue to play their single player games, but they have zero clue what makes a succesful MMO!

• kalsigurkalsigur Member Posts: 27

Gosh you guys are ridiculous. Zenimax Online Sutdios IS Bethesda. It's a wholly owned subsidiary setup specifically to make this game. 

Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by Vonatar

For true elder scrolls fans this is pretty much spot on.

Uh, no its not. I definately, and many of those that I know, want a TES MMO. Stop jumping to conclusions.

Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by buegur

May ask?

Combat mechanics aside, because I do agree with that idea.  It doesn't bother you that it'll be a class/ level based character progression, with quest driven leveling, an ephasis on a single player storyline that incorporates heavy use of phasing, and an engame pvp system that is doesn't really have a true purpose? (They said that the winning faction will have a ruler designated based on who contributed the most during the fighting, but that it's only a title and has no impact on the game.  The ruler is only a ruler because the game says he is, but he can't do anything in the position and it's only a "bragging right".  That's straight from the developers mouth)  As well as all the lore they're writting for the game has been admitted to not being considered canon by the guys at Bethesda.

None of that bothers you as long as it's 3 faction pvp, in the ES universe?

It's just bewildering to me that some people would only care about the 3 faction pvp, yet DAoC never shut down their servers.  If that's all people want, and if DAoC does it so well, why aren't people just playing DAoC then?

Um, Elder Scrolls is a level based progression system with the illusion of being skill based. Always has been.

All dungeons and towns are instanced ALREADY, and have been forever. (EXCEPT IN MORROWIND -Towns were open and connected to the rest of the world -  where you could fly - BRING BACK LEVITATE).

Also, a ruler is only a ruler because the people let him be. And he doesnt have any ACTUAL power unless the people allow him to. Bascially, "bragging rights" are a core human desire.

Lore is not canon? Please, it takes place 1000 years before any Elder Scrolls game you've played. You try going back 1000 years and tell me how accurate your lore is. I promise you, what you know, is not necessarily what happened. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It has a mini map, wow clone, burn the witch!
  • ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55

People don't understand that Zenimax Online is the child company of Bethesda.. this company is basically the "Online" version of Bethesda.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    [mod edit]

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Uhwop, if I had my rathers I would have them design the game as I wanted, but if what I heard that this game been under development for at least a couple of years I can live with less.  If it is true they are going to release the game next year there is very little time for them to change the core features.

"It doesn't bother you that it'll be a class/ level based character progression, with quest driven leveling, an ephasis on a single player storyline that incorporates heavy use of phasing, and an engame pvp system that is doesn't really have a true purpose? "

My rathers would have a skill based, but i can live with Class/Level based.  Everything I read on the end game PvP says that it would be based on DAoC type of realm warfare where it will indeed make a small difference, so I like that.  As i liked SWTor's storylines that would tweek my interest, but of course I'm for a more open feeling that Elder Scrolls has.  I am still open and hoping that is indeed the case and the single story line is just an additional content.

"They said that the winning faction will have a ruler designated based on who contributed the most during the fighting, but that it's only a title and has no impact on the game. The ruler is only a ruler because the game says he is, but he can't do anything in the position and it's only a "bragging right".

I see this as a thrown in extra that doesn't hurt the game but adds a little favor.

"As well as all the lore they're writting for the game has been admitted to not being considered canon by the guys at Bethesda."

Unfortunately standard practice for MMO's.  We will have to wait and see how much this truely effects the game.  A few deviations won't matter to me if they get the main feel for the Elder Scroll worlds.

I think more importantly are they going to have the open feelingness of ES worlds and the multitudes of choices we have in them, such as advancing in the various guilds?  It seems to me most MMO's out there today fail in keeping our interest once we level because of a lack of depth at the top.  Add in all the extras such as working for the various guilds, meaningful RvR, communities/housing, trades that have purpose in the end games and I'm betting it will succeed even with its short comings in other areas.  The ES world has openess needed to put back the community experience back into MMO's thats been sorely lacking of late.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

While I think they just gutted a beloved game and this will only be an IP sale like SWTOR there is one major concern I have with the three faction warefare.  One faction has the Nords, Argonians, and Dummers which I think many many will cater to this faction and severely imbalance the game compared to the other factions. 

While I am seeing this from my own personal taste but I think that the Dummers are a highly popular race and without the Imperials the Nords will be the most popular human type race especially since Skyrim being focused on the Nords and people have a lot of culture insight with them unlike the other races.  Argonians would be appealing as one of the non-human players.

This poll just confirms my suspicion.