Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW delayed till 3rd of July, Headstart 29th of June

Comments

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by dontadow
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by kevjards
    Originally posted by dimasok
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The only thing wrong with the combat is the animations, the underlying combat system is sound. another thing they could do is change the crucible so that you pick two weapeons.

I like the slow flow. I don't want it to get wowified with having players go hubs and pick up a shopping list of quests.

To me it feels like another SWTOR (aka SP Kotor 3) But with a silent deadbeat protagonist, empty environments and dead servers where no one wants to team up and chat is dead. Judging from the beta events its a SP game that will go f2P in no time

nothing like swtor..this game makes u feel creeped out whereas swtor makes you feel your playing WOW..and the chat was more than active..apart from first beta..but i think everyone was just so into what they were doing,including me.i was more trying to understand the mechanics in the first beta so i was like most,very quiet.

Creeped out:: chuckle:: 'Diablo makes you feel creeped out. This game makes you creeped out that they are using 5 year old style renderings and graphics.  SWTOR was stylezed for its genre. IT made sense.  There are, what, maybe 2k people in this town, and yet zombies keep appearing from out of nowhere.  This game is more cartoony than wow. 

Didn't do the quest that leads you to the mass graves huh?

Err, yeah, so shouldn;'t these be "olden zombies" and not, returning zombies.  I just can't suspend my belief likethat.  It takes me out of the "horror' atmpshere.  If you do horror naything, it needs to be on ponit, cause atompshere is everything.  I

This is a game about magic, and it's not a horror game, they never said so. It's not a horor mmo, a L4D mmo, or Lovecraft mmo. Why don't people learn to actually read and look for the full info on thse games.

Idk. I've never wanted to die,  to get out of shockinly scary scenario before. Just so I could collect myself.  Some places are truly unnearving. 

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

But zombies, see, they are special.  There is a limited number of them.  That's about any game.  I can believe a world would still have zombies if the world is open, lots of heroes, citizens still getting bit.

and for how many months did you farm icecrown citadel for epics?  or any other instance/raid/zone/named/etc?

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Origina

But they don't get back up in the spot you downded them they appear back again out of thin air.  See how the graphics don't correspond to the methos, this is a problem thrhoughout the game.  Even still, it makes no sense.  I can chop a body up and burn it to ashes and u're telling me it reappears looking like an intact zombie.  

This is a MMORPG, you cant just kill all the mobs and leave the zone empty for everyone else dont be stupid..

Its just like every other MMORPG out there.. what you think its ok for that goblin spawn to keep coming back just because they are goblins?

If you want a game where you kill stuff and they dont come back i suggest not playing MMORPGs..

Thanks

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Chopsticks
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

Creeped out:: chuckle:: 'Diablo makes you feel creeped out. This game makes you creeped out that they are using 5 year old style renderings and graphics.  SWTOR was stylezed for its genre. IT made sense.  There are, what, maybe 2k people in this town, and yet zombies keep appearing from out of nowhere.  This game is more cartoony than wow. 

This made me laugh i can accept that you don't feel creeped out by TSW but than you come and say D3 creeps you out....i mean seriously and to top that you are bashing the graphics after just referring to D3?? 

Just too funny lol 

Besides the very first quest you can do in Kingsmouths is telling you that killing the Zombies is only a temporary help since they just keep on getting bk which is why you study the behavior of the Zombies in the following quest series.

Even if they would not tell you and not send you to mass graves t your point still is a joke in every MMO you kill thousands of boars hares lions or w/e and they just keep respawning this games do not explain why the mobs keep coming bk they don't bother explaining how its possible that all this poor innocent animals you slaughter over and over again are not extinct yet but in TSW it suddenly is a prob and that even tho they explain why the Zombies just keep coming?

I cant help but wonder if you even thought for 1 sec before writing this garbage.....

Did I say D3? I swear i said Diablo.  Like diablo 1.  The atmosphere, the setting, that was creepy. I remember the first time i encountered the butcher. That's about hte last time horror's been done right in a grave. 

But, lets chat. Mass graves, as in graves that were suppose to be burried a while ago.  Most of the zombies on the streets are (new, citizen, zombies). Certainly not zombies that have been burried in a mass grave for years after years.  

Yes, in a fantasy game i can kill thousands of things, there's actually a cycle of life that seems to be believable in a lot of games.  There are many, many animals, many, many creatures. But zombies, see, they are special.  There is a limited number of them.  That's about any game.  I can believe a world would still have zombies if the world is open, lots of heroes, citizens still getting bit.

But the story of kingsmouth is that it is cordoned off. There are no fresh new influx of any one new coming in.  So the wholeidea of all these zombies in a confined space in a confinded city is very cartoony.  So i chop off this zombies head, burn it and incenterate the body... and it still gets back up.  Sounds like an 9 year old making a zombie movie. Put dad's cam corder back.

Yes, the name monster mobs do respawn... They kinda need to so we can play the game... 

Some of the criticisms of this game are really out there. I'm happy to be talking about if mobs should respawn or not, rather than the client being CPU bound. Things like optimization are not an issue, so people like this talk about respawns, and being "believable."

I have praised a lot of places in this game, namely the puzzles and adventures, but I found the praise of this game for things like graphics and "immersiion" really out there as well.  As a horror fan (books, movies, tv shows, writer) it's embarrasing to lump this into the "immersion" catagory.  So I get offended hearing it.  There are things other games have done to increase that immersion, by shoehorning this game into traditional MMO tropes, they've ruined it for your horror fan. Sure former wow players who are familiar with horror movies will like it, but a guy like me is going to look at this and go, raelly i stand in front of flesh eating zombies and hack and slash and burn them. Then they disappear and they get back up apparently over there fully in tact.  And the only way they explain why this happens is cause, it just does (yeah i did that quest chain).  This is the biggest pile of...@#$#@.   

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Origina

But they don't get back up in the spot you downded them they appear back again out of thin air.  See how the graphics don't correspond to the methos, this is a problem thrhoughout the game.  Even still, it makes no sense.  I can chop a body up and burn it to ashes and u're telling me it reappears looking like an intact zombie.  

This is a MMORPG, you cant just kill all the mobs and leave the zone empty for everyone else dont be stupid..

Its just like every other MMORPG out there.. what you think its ok for that goblin spawn to keep coming back just because they are goblins?

If you want a game where you kill stuff and they dont come back i suggest not playing MMORPGs..

Thanks

We're talking about immersion, like i said this game shoe horned horror elements in traditonal mmotropes. 

There are creative design ways they could have done this to brand their mythos. Lazy programming and lackluster design just said (lets do it like wow) and so they did.  They could have went outside the box, and they didnt.  By the numbers MMO with puzzles. 

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Are we really, seriously, actulaly, for realsies arguing about why there are respawns in an MMORPG?

Are you guys freaking kidding me here? Come the crap on. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Could well be that Funcom are hoping the 2 week delay will allow more of the gaming public to recover from the current high levels of "D3 Fever".

Given all the hype around the Tera and D3 launch, the TSW launch date really needed to be moved, otherwise it would have gone unnoticed by a great many possible players. The "shiny" needs to wear off of the current new launches.

I have my doubts as to whether they will meet and retain that 500K player target. That sounds like they expect TSW to be the third biggest MMO in the western market, which is not impossible, but still quite ambitous.

Personally, I don't care how many players a MMO has, as long as I enjoy the game and can find enough other people in the world. But if Funcom are betting the farm on TSW being a significantly popular game, a slow start may be a disaster financially.

And the spectre of the coming GW2 launch still looms large...

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Origina

Thanks

We're talking about immersion, like i said this game shoe horned horror elements in traditonal mmotropes. 

There are creative design ways they could have done this to brand their mythos. Lazy programming and lackluster design just said (lets do it like wow) and so they did.  They could have went outside the box, and they didnt.  By the numbers MMO with puzzles. 

they could chose please you, instead, they chose please me, I'm grateful for that.

Originally posted by Chopsticks
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

This made me laugh i can accept that you don't feel creeped out by TSW but than you come and say D3 creeps you out....i mean seriously and to top that you are bashing the graphics after just referring to D3?? 

Just too funny lol 

Besides the very first quest you can do in Kingsmouths is telling you that killing the Zombies is only a temporary help since they just keep on getting bk which is why you study the behavior of the Zombies in the following quest series.

Even if they would not tell you and not send you to mass graves t your point still is a joke in every MMO you kill thousands of boars hares lions or w/e and they just keep respawning this games do not explain why the mobs keep coming bk they don't bother explaining how its possible that all this poor innocent animals you slaughter over and over again are not extinct yet but in TSW it suddenly is a prob and that even tho they explain why the Zombies just keep coming?

I cant help but wonder if you even thought for 1 sec before writing this garbage.....

Did I say D3? I swear i said Diablo.  Like diablo 1.  The atmosphere, the setting, that was creepy. I remember the first time i encountered the butcher. That's about hte last time horror's been done right in a grave. 

But, lets chat. Mass graves, as in graves that were suppose to be burried a while ago.  Most of the zombies on the streets are (new, citizen, zombies). Certainly not zombies that have been burried in a mass grave for years after years.  

Yes, in a fantasy game i can kill thousands of things, there's actually a cycle of life that seems to be believable in a lot of games.  There are many, many animals, many, many creatures. But zombies, see, they are special.  There is a limited number of them.  That's about any game.  I can believe a world would still have zombies if the world is open, lots of heroes, citizens still getting bit.

But the story of kingsmouth is that it is cordoned off. There are no fresh new influx of any one new coming in.  So the wholeidea of all these zombies in a confined space in a confinded city is very cartoony.  So i chop off this zombies head, burn it and incenterate the body... and it still gets back up.  Sounds like an 9 year old making a zombie movie. Put dad's cam corder back.

Yes, the name monster mobs do respawn... They kinda need to so we can play the game... 

Some of the criticisms of this game are really out there. I'm happy to be talking about if mobs should respawn or not, rather than the client being CPU bound. Things like optimization are not an issue, so people like this talk about respawns, and being "believable."

I have praised a lot of places in this game, namely the puzzles and adventures, but I found the praise of this game for things like graphics and "immersiion" really out there as well.  As a horror fan (books, movies, tv shows, writer) it's embarrasing to lump this into the "immersion" catagory.  So I get offended hearing it.  There are things other games have done to increase that immersion, by shoehorning this game into traditional MMO tropes, they've ruined it for your horror fan. Sure former wow players who are familiar with horror movies will like it, but a guy like me is going to look at this and go, raelly i stand in front of flesh eating zombies and hack and slash and burn them. Then they disappear and they get back up apparently over there fully in tact.  And the only way they explain why this happens is cause, it just does (yeah i did that quest chain).  This is the biggest pile of...@#$#@.   

Well I think most of the world disagrees with you. Not everybody, and that doesn't mean we are right. Right is in your head, and TSW is wrong in your head. This might not be the game for you. Matter of fact I can't think of a mmo for a "horror fan" such as yourself.  Happy hunting though, I hope you find it. Maybe Darkness Falls with vampires and stuff will be the one, if it's released. C ya!

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Could well be that Funcom are hoping the 2 week delay will allow more of the gaming public to recover from the current high levels of "D3 Fever".Given all the hype around the Tera and D3 launch, the TSW launch date really needed to be moved, otherwise it would have gone unnoticed by a great many possible players. The "shiny" needs to wear off of the current new launches.

While I do agree that Tera still has some unreasonable ammounts of Hype, I'd say Diablo 3 has already killed its own hype by accidentally slipping and falling backwards into its own mess :/

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

personally, i think this is good news. to me it signals a recognition that a few more things need some work and that they are trying to buy some time to do this. while i am sure they have a deadline, it's good to know they have a little wiggle room to move that if they feel it is necessary.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Origina

Thanks

But no MMO does this.. every MMO has mob spawns.. even jesus 2 does..

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Before you internet-crystalballers break your shineys, you could just read the facts instead.

The game is not delayed in an effort to fix problems or bugs, at all. The reson it's delayed can be found on their forums.

But go ahead, give em your expert thoughts :)

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Boooooooooo

This game was suppose to be my lay over until GW2 comes out. I preordered both....now I might have a delima....lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

They could delay this til christmas,and it would still be nothing more than a great setting tied to an incredibly lackluster game,that only a small amount of children who think finding a number on a pillar is a "clever puzzle" will embrace for very long.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by tares

ok i pre-ordered this game..and what concerns me is they are going to spend more on advertising the game..the thing that concerns me is that maybe they dont have enough in the way of pre orders and are not happy.if its not polish and advertising,why the delay?i mean if the game is ok for release,why not release..it does not stop them from advertising..just curious

They expect more sales than age of conan so over 1 million,  they then expect over 400k players to subscribe for a year or more.  They don't think it will make target goals, so they will use a loan to advertise more.  If the game doesn't hit target expectations any MMO player can tell you what happens,  http://geek.pikimal.com/2012/05/24/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-fewer-users-fewer-employees/

Wtf are they smoking? Over 1 million in sales? By when? Not going to happen anytime soon. I believe unless their launch is disastrous that over time this game could get a pretty solid and significant player base but initially? It is going to take some time. If they seriously are thinking along those lines then they need to get their heads out of the clouds.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Two more weeks of hot summer nights not sitting in front of the PC whacking zombies? Not sure what to think about that...

Seriously speaking, whether their story of "marketing reasons" is b.s. or not I hope they spend this time well to polish everything they can. The game is worth it and I'm not surprised at all because of the delay. If anything, I'm surprised that the delay is only 2 weeks which is nothing in a project like this (what, one sprint or full test round?). I'll wait patiently with my upgraded PC about to explode from the pressure of megatons of fps capacity waiting to be unleashed...
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Origina

Thanks

Tabula Rasa was the only MMO I have ever seen that did re-spawns in a cool, immersive way - drop ships.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by BigCountry

Boooooooooo

This game was suppose to be my lay over until GW2 comes out. I preordered both....now I might have a delima....lol

Not really since GW2 still won't be out by then.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Origina

Thanks

Tabula Rasa was the only MMO I have ever seen that did re-spawns in a cool, immersive way - drop ships.

Yea, one thing any mmo player can give Tabula Rasa credit for:  Immersive respawns.  Watching the bane come off the dropships was cool as hell.  Or watching those giant mechs drop from the sky.

BOOYAKA!

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Origina

Thanks

Yea, one thing any mmo player can give Tabula Rasa credit for:  Immersive respawns.  Watching the bane come off the dropships was cool as hell.  Or watching those giant mechs drop from the sky.

shame the rest of the game was awful.

id rather settle for mobs that "pop into existence" than having resources spent that would be better utilized elsewhere.

There is no perfect game, if the only flaw of the game is the respawning mobs and lackluster animations, so be it, im not callous enough to blow it out of proportion.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

tsw smells incomplete to me.  Opening up other starter areas for the delayed period and restricting zone for beta is telling me this game is far from complete and funcom is trying to cover the bad parts of the game.

Per mod request, repost from another thread.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=31974

Taken from the TSW forums. Post made by Kurator. Thank you for the explanation.

on a side note Funcom truly is a small independent swimming in an ocean of  Activision-Blizzards, NCsofts, and EA sharks.

here's to the little guy. Go gettem!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Taking a closer look at that Funcom financial statement is quite worrisome... 0.o

It pretty much looks like the end of the road for them if TSW doesn't generate substantial profits. Their quarterly loss increased again, and the 22M USD "facility" was clearly needed to keep the wheels turning. They ARE betting the farm on TSW, it seems.

If they don't substantially shrink that quarterly loss, they will bleed to death in 6 months' time. The more they use that 22M overdraft facility, the bigger the montly interest bill will get.

With 250 people involved in the TSW development, a large chunk of their expenses can be attributed to TSW. So the pressure to cut that wage bill will be huge post launch. 

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Taking a closer look at that Funcom financial statement is quite worrisome... 0.o

It pretty much looks like the end of the road for them if TSW doesn't generate substantial profits. Their quarterly loss increased again, and the 22M USD "facility" was clearly needed to keep the wheels turning. They ARE betting the farm on TSW, it seems.

If they don't substantially shrink that quarterly loss, they will bleed to death in 6 months' time. The more they use that 22M overdraft facility, the bigger the montly interest bill will get.

With 250 people involved in the TSW development, a large chunk of their expenses can be attributed to TSW. So the pressure to cut that wage bill will be huge post launch. 

The life of an independent. They aint sold out yet. Still gamers making games for gamers. Despite the struggle you have to respect the path.

If TSW is a hit, they still have the chance of being the Blizzard, the NCsoft, the EA. The chance. Nothing like a few hundred million per year to get the ball rolling.