Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Review-in-Progress Part Two

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

After 12 years was Diablo III worth it? That's far too loaded a question to answer in just a single piece, so we're putting together a review-in-progress series leading up to our final review. Today, we look at Diablo III now that we've beaten the Normal playthrough.

It’s been a week since we last checked in and I’ve definitely made some progress in Diablo III, though not nearly as far as many of you no doubt have made it thus far. I’ve beaten Normal difficulty on my Wizard – yeah, Wizard.  I realize that last week I was showering praise on the Barbarian, and it’s still my favorite class, no doubt, but I ended up playing with two other friends through the campaign and I decided to use my second favorite class, the Wizard, for that playthrough.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Diablo III: Review-in-Progress Part Two.

Comments

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Are there item sets in Diablo III? Frankly, those are the only items I would consider buying or selling on an auction house. In Diablo II you knew you were never gonna find a complete item set by yourself and were forced  into multiplayer trading ( or cheat mods) to get a complete set.

I'm through act 2 in D3 and I still haven't seen an item set item drop. Are they not in this game, or am I just really unlucky?

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

If you want to make normal mode more difficult then make some challenging changes on your own.  I suggest trying any one or a combination of the following.

1. Attempt to beat Normal mode using Grey items only.

2. Do not use a hirling.

3. Do not use potions.

4. Refrain from using slots 2 - 4 

5. Simply try other builds that you would consider less than optimal.

These methods of play may not have actual sanctioned rewards, but if you really desperately want a challange on Normal mode then give it a try.  

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I think the worst part is, that Normal is too easy! but that the next difficulty level (Nightmare) immediately forces Perma death on you as well!

I find that highly dissapointing!

Why not have at least one more difficulty level above normal that doesn't force perma death on you?

I like a good challenge, but especially with the whole online only (issues with disconnects, lag, etc) and the fact that everyone can make a mistake and die, that I will be forced to start from scratch again.

Fun maybe for the fetish hardcore fanatics, but not for me. As a family man I just don't have the time to invest that kind of hours into games anymore to reach the required skill level.

Practically also why I stopped playing FPS games (eventho I love them), as it's impossible to compete with young peeps among us that have all the time in the world. Been there, done that, enjoyed it!  But that time is over for me.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Senadina

Are there item sets in Diablo III? Frankly, those are the only items I would consider buying or selling on an auction house. In Diablo II you knew you were never gonna find a complete item set by yourself and were forced  into multiplayer trading ( or cheat mods) to get a complete set.

I'm through act 2 in D3 and I still haven't seen an item set item drop. Are they not in this game, or am I just really unlucky?

I think they drop so rarely, there didnt drop for anyone yet.

But in manual they are explained by special color coding...

Go figure

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I think the worst part is, that Normal is too easy! but that the next difficulty level (Nightmare) immediately forces Perma death on you as well!

Why not have at least one more difficulty level above normal that doesn't force perma death on you?

I like a good challenge, but especially with the whole online only (issues with disconnects, lag, etc) and the fact that everyone can make a mistake and die, that I will be forced to start from scratch again.

Fun maybe for the fetish hardcore fanatics, but not for me. As a family man I just don't have the time to invest that kind of hours into games anymore to reach the required skill level.

Practically also why I stopped playing FPS games (eventho I love them), as it's impossible to compete with young peeps among us that have all the time in the world. Been there, done that, enjoyed it!  But that time is over for me.

Nighmare mode forces perma-death without hardcore being selected?  Hmmmmmm

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85

if u think that nightmare forces perma death on u, then u might actually be a very bad player u shouldnt start having issues with death until act4 nightmare but the game is actually pretty darn easy til infenro which forces you to know your heroe for act 1 and act 2 well forces extreme forms of team work and gear.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

What are you tripping about ?

Nothing is forcing permadeath , lol

Its a mode you can choose if you want.

And Normal is not that easy as people say, especially later in the game.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

This game doesn't feel as rewarding as diablo 2 that is why repeating the same difficulties suck. I don't even get excited when I see a legendary drop because my rares are always better. I bet anything that this game wasn't finish for release they just went for the quick money. Or blizzard north where better developer than these new guys.

But if you need a review to show you if is a buy or no go to the D3 forum -.-

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

""It’s simply too easy to put together an entirely new set every five levels or so."

I thought diablo games were about loot.. Repeating content to get the best loot so you could go a higher difficulty level and then repeat.

Doesn't this break the whole game?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by unclemo

Nighmare mode forces perma-death without hardcore being selected?  Hmmmmmm

Then I was missinformed. My bad. I really thought every difficulty mode, except Normal, included perma death. :-P

This makes me a very happy camper again. :-)

PS. I just see that Blizzard finally updated their Gameplay Guide on the official DIII website and it now finally shows a correct explanation about the difficulty levels and the seperate hardcore mode.

Thanks.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by thekid1

""It’s simply too easy to put together an entirely new set every five levels or so."

I thought diablo games were about loot.. Repeating content to get the best loot so you could go a higher difficulty level and then repeat.

Doesn't this break the whole game?

Exactly you get it that what diablo game are all about! But diablo 3 itemization is so bad you don't feel this.  I'm playing one of the 3 shittiest class right now(barbarian) . I gotta farm Inferno act 1 all day, vendor most of the drop because nothing is useful and buy people shit off the AH to even get to Act2. Oh well is blizzard working as Intended.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I coudnt have said it better myself, these are the issues I state aswell, but I got flamed when trying to say these things.

Concerns

1 . To easy on normal

2. To SHORT main campain, not everyone is interessted in playing the same tired campaign over and over again..

3  The loot is the main reason or atleast one of the reasons you play..And since you can decked out in the auction house, you get even less reason to play the diffrent difficulty levels..

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by thark

3  The loot is the main reason or atleast one of the reasons you play..And since you can decked out in the auction house, you get even less reason to play the diffrent difficulty levels..

It's all about level 60.

Try buying everything you need from the AH for inferno... even if it is there, which it probably isn't, you would need 'millions' and more to get what u wanted. Once you start hitting the end of act 2 Hell you'll be excited everytime you get your hands on a big chest.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73

Yeah the itemization is kind of terrible, especially with the way theyve done the random stats on Legendary and Set stuff. Used to be you sought specific Uniques / Sets because they had the best stats for specific things, but in D3 you can pretty much get the same or better just finding or buying rares and it kind of kills the whole special feeling you used to get when you found some of the good uniques and sets in D2. Now its like you get 1 that drops, chances are the stats are pretty bad and its worthless.

Along with that stuff, Im also finding gear overall kind of ridiculous. For example, playing as a Wizard im running around with a bow because it had the highest damage for my level range along with good Intelligence, etc. Now you would think in any decent game what equipment youre using would effect your skills/spells in some way. But your weapon choice in D3 is pretty much completely irrelevant and only cosmetic. You would think using wands or staves would be best for a wiz, but due to their lower damage im constantly finding myself using anything BUT those.

Now ok, maybe for a Wiz you could consider "well its magic spells anyway, not weapon based attacks so it doesnt matter" but what about other classes like Monk? You can run around with swords, axes, etc and still use your skills that tend to have things in them like "Fist".... but im not using my f*cking fists.... There doesnt seem to be any difference in your capabilties based on weapon choice, which to me seems just plain retarded.

The gem system is rather ridiculous IMO too. They eliminated several types of gems (and the skulls) and replaced them with like 20 different tiers of just 4 gems. This limits building/customization even more than the core game mechanics and equipment itself.

Does anyone else miss the Horadric Cube and recipes over this lame crafting system they have? Especially considering theres almost no need for you to use the crafting anyway since most of the stuff you would need to invest hundreds of thousands (possibly a few million) into the leveling of the crafters + the materials to make anything worthwhile.... you could just go buy it on the AH much cheaper AND with whichever stats you wanted rather than getting random stats.

Honestly it seems like in most cases they took the cheap & easy method of implementation that doesnt require any real thought on their part to make some well fleshed out features. And it also seems liek theyre really trying to push that AH pretty hardcore so they can make their money off of it when the RMAH opens up. Seems theyre pretty focused on making it mor eand more pointless to actually work for things in game when hey you can just go buy it off the AH.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Resiakraw

Yeah the itemization is kind of terrible, especially with the way theyve done the random stats on Legendary and Set stuff. Used to be you sought specific Uniques / Sets because they had the best stats for specific things, but in D3 you can pretty much get the same or better just finding or buying rares and it kind of kills the whole special feeling you used to get when you found some of the good uniques and sets in D2. Now its like you get 1 that drops, chances are the stats are pretty bad and its worthless.

This is true, but in D2 I often felt "Oh crap, this item is awesome, but I can't use it. Just my luck." At least now I feel like I can get some good value out of it.

Along with that stuff, Im also finding gear overall kind of ridiculous. For example, playing as a Wizard im running around with a bow because it had the highest damage for my level range along with good Intelligence, etc. Now you would think in any decent game what equipment youre using would effect your skills/spells in some way. But your weapon choice in D3 is pretty much completely irrelevant and only cosmetic. You would think using wands or staves would be best for a wiz, but due to their lower damage im constantly finding myself using anything BUT those.

Now ok, maybe for a Wiz you could consider "well its magic spells anyway, not weapon based attacks so it doesnt matter" but what about other classes like Monk? You can run around with swords, axes, etc and still use your skills that tend to have things in them like "Fist".... but im not using my f*cking fists.... There doesnt seem to be any difference in your capabilties based on weapon choice, which to me seems just plain retarded.

Agreed. This is my biggest complaint with D3's items.

Does anyone else miss the Horadric Cube and recipes over this lame crafting system they have? Especially considering theres almost no need for you to use the crafting anyway since most of the stuff you would need to invest hundreds of thousands (possibly a few million) into the leveling of the crafters + the materials to make anything worthwhile.... you could just go buy it on the AH much cheaper AND with whichever stats you wanted rather than getting random stats.

No. I think people who miss the horadric cube are just full of nostalgia. Nothing magical about the cube, it made items and was either a huge time sink or just required looking things up online. Crafting does not seem that expensive now that I've gotten through Act2 of nightmare and the pages are more of a stopper than the gold. Very easy to Blacksmith above your level.

Honestly it seems like in most cases they took the cheap & easy method of implementation that doesnt require any real thought on their part to make some well fleshed out features. And it also seems liek theyre really trying to push that AH pretty hardcore so they can make their money off of it when the RMAH opens up. Seems theyre pretty focused on making it mor eand more pointless to actually work for things in game when hey you can just go buy it off the AH.

I disagree with the simple implementation. The systems they have developed for D3 are almost universally more complex and deeper than those in D2. You can claim a lot of things about D3, but they put a lot more effort into it than D2. Anyone who spends more than 5 minutes critically thinking about it can see that it's not "dumbed down."

I do agree with the auction house motivation. Blizzard wants to make their server money back from D3 + some, and RMAH needs to be a hit to make that work. That is the biggest motivation for online-only play, imo (although the more politically correct reasons of pirates and cheaters are valid as well).

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

What are you tripping about ?

Nothing is forcing permadeath , lol

Its a mode you can choose if you want.

And Normal is not that easy as people say, especially later in the game.

I agree, normal definitely gets harder later on.  I died twice on the last boss before I won, and I died a few times in acts III and IV as well.

That said, I think much the difficulty depends on your level and gear.  If you play straight through the game solo, don't do every side quest, and never use the AH...then you will probably find normal mode plenty difficult at the end.  On the other hand, if you often "replay" old content by going to other people's games, do all the side stuff, and buy powerful items like gems from the AH frequently...then normal mode will probably be much easier.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I have a WD in hell, a DH in nightmare and a monk in normal...and here is my 3 line review

Game is fun as hell

Loot is broken, boring and way worse the D2

Wish game had a more robust LFG tool

These are all i care about...dont care about AH, story etc.

All i care about is chillin and killin and shooting and looting with my bros and hos

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

Game is okay overall.  I see this game being looked at two different ways:

1.  Gamers who have played the other Diablo games and/or knew what expectations to have for a sequel.

2.  Gamers who have never played a Diablo game before and/or migrated from WoW based on the free deal.

The game is very arcade-y.  It's okay when you figure that some people just want to jump in and kill stuff.  There really aren't any unique characters though.  You can use runes to change up your skills a little, but the limitations are irritating to me.  Blizzard has shoe-horned each class into a specific role.  Some may like that, but I don't.  I really wanted to play a Dual wielding, melee demon hunter (which they showed off early in the unvieling of D3 so long ago) but that is NOT an option with D3.

The loot is terrible.  You just swap in newer whatever for older whatever.  The weapons only matter for the Barbarian, otherwise you don't even see them being used on the other classes.  Why even both adding in equipment then?

I'd like an option to kick players as well.  Had one guy come in and start running off on his own.  Didn't want to work together and just made things frustrating.

The game is fun, but still not as good as it could've been.  With 11 years in development, I'm extremely disappointed this is the final product.

PS.  Looking foward to Torchlight 2.  While not perfect either, the Beta showed me I can get the customization options I've been wishing for.  Plus, it's only 20 bucks!

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by jessie360

The loot is terrible.  You just swap in newer whatever for older whatever.  The weapons only matter for the Barbarian, otherwise you don't even see them being used on the other classes.  Why even both adding in equipment then?

I don't think we played the same game. Weapons matter only for the Barbarian? Did you miss the little detail where all your skill damage is actually derived from your weapon?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Senadina

I've taken 2 characters all the way to 60 and I haven't seen a Legendary or a Set item.  The butchered the drop rates to encourage RMT

• Ritsuka81Ritsuka81 Member UncommonPosts: 33

I'm having a blast, and this is why:  I moderated my expectations. I knew this was going to be different than Diablo II, which is different than Diablo. I looked at what the game had to offer, smiled and nodded, and decided 'You know what? I'm going to have fun playing this game because it's a fun game to play.' So it doesn't have as robust X and Y. It's just fun.

• NekokekiNekokeki Member UncommonPosts: 76

They do have item sets, but all I have seen are a couple lvl 60 sets up on the AH for god knows how much gold.  Nothing pre-60 that I am aware of though.

• NekokekiNekokeki Member UncommonPosts: 76

Review Spoiler Alert:  DRM is annoying, game is awesome anyways.

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Methos12
    Originally posted by jessie360

I don't think we played the same game. Weapons matter only for the Barbarian? Did you miss the little detail where all your skill damage is actually derived from your weapon?

I could be wrong, but i think he is referring more to (like i mentioned in another post somewhere) about the lack of weapon meaning. For example Im playing a Wiz who uses a bow. Why? Because it had the highest DPS I could find for my level range as well as high Int. Swap those stats onto any other weapon and Id be using that instead. There is no differentiating between weapon types for any purpose. Equipping a wand, bow, dagger, staff... doesnt matter all my skills and stats are exactly the same. Theres no specialization, or purpose to using a specific type.

Along with the Wiz, I also have a monk. he is currently wearing an Axe and a Sword.... while i run around spamming my skills with "Fist(s)" in the name.... but im not using my fking fists im using an axe and sword. Doesnt matter though, same exact skills and effects regardless.

The entire game is all about highest DPS + best stat, regardless of weapon type. They took out all of the meaning in picking weapon types for things like accuracy, stun, knockback, etc. Your weapon type now is purely cosmetic.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Diablo 3 is the best thing I've played in YEARS. It's as good as Diablo 2, but the classes in Diablo 3 are much better than the Diablo 2 classes in my opinion. Diablo 2 was almost perfect.