Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How combat works in The Elder Scrolls Online

KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/25/how-combat-works-in-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Seems pretty straight foward. More mmo's seem to be taking the GW/MTG(Magic The Gathering) deck of cards skill combat system rather than the norm of a billion skills all at once.

Comments

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

OMG combat is same as in WoW !!!

/sarcasam off

On top of that, if I continue to use that weapon over a period of time I will get better with it which will give me a wider variety of things that I can potentially do with my weapon attacks. So I can gain mastery of it by virtue of having it equipped, but I can still pick up any weapon in the game and be good with it and that’s true of anyone. I think that’s an essential part of it.

The key is that those abilities, like the weapon, I can start with and use effectively initially, but in order to master I must play with over a long period of time. Which is very much like the Elder Scrolls games, and is our own way of interpreting that.

I like this part it sounds good ^^

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i like it. so long as the combat itself is a departure from wow-type mechanics i'll be quite happy to play the game.

really hope we can for the most part stop seeing the whack-a-mole skillbars of the previous decade.

game is looking up as far as i'm concerned.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

yup, this car has a steering wheel......more news at 11.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

So I read the entire article twice, and the Idea I got from this system is to dumb down combat even further than what WoW did to the MMO genre's combat system?

Six slots? REALLY? Much rather have a twitch based system like TES than TESO. Just saying.....it's not impossible either. Look at Planetside 2, they've got some crazy open-world mechanics going on with twitch based combat with THOUSANDS of players on the field at once shoot/fighting each other.

The "If i used my weapon more over time it gives me more abilities to use over time" doesn't justify the StoryDriven SWTOR copycat style they're going with the game. It wreaks with "Oh, btw, we're going to instance the game to death" like SWTOR as well. 

I don't believe in giving out bits & pieces over time about a product. It only causes confusion & mixed information. I'd much rather they hold on to everything until a month prior to closed beta, and then release all the information at once. The route they're taking with this can only hope to generate horribly negative hype even if it turns out to be half-decent.

Continueing to be disappointed over here.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

So I read the entire article twice, and the Idea I got from this system is to dumb down combat even further than what WoW did to the MMO genre's combat system?

Six slots? REALLY? Much rather have a twitch based system like TES than TESO. Just saying.....it's not impossible either. Look at Planetside 2, they've got some crazy open-world mechanics going on with twitch based combat with THOUSANDS of players on the field at once shoot/fighting each other.

I don' t think the amount of skills you have is "dumbing things down". It would have been nice to see the same first person combat in the game though.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Be careful......the number of slots does not determine the overall complexity. It may seem that way, but believe it or not, one of the earliest gripes about WoW making the genre easier, is that they in fact allowed you to use all your abilities at any given time. For EQ fans this eliminate the ability to 'build' your character for the event at hand. To look at a huge range of skills and pick just the few that will help you survive the battle, that actually adds complexity to the game.

Trust me, I've played both unlimited skill access and limited skill access. Limiting skill access creates a more endepth feel to your toon, despite what your instincts may tell you.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

So TESO Combat is basically going to be - TAB 1 2 3 4 5 6 TAB 1 2 3 4 5 6 TAB 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Article actually reminded me of Guild Wars 2.  Six slots (instead of 10).  2 dedicated to weapon, 3 dedicated to class  (instead of 2 for main, 3 for off-hand), and one for ultimate (which I think is the same in GW2).

Agree switching out a limited hotbar is more challenging then having an unlimited hot bar.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out without action combat.

The article stated that 3 of the skills are class based.  So if Im a Hunter/Archer I cant change my class?  But only the weapons I use?  Would be interested to see how this type of progression works.

Interest building... slightly

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

It honestly doesn't sound bad to me, but I don't understand the "our interpretation" stuff.  why interpret anything, just transition the ES format over to the MMO.  You don't have to change it.  Everyone playing MMO's has more then likely played and ES game and already knows exactly how it works.

Or have they not noticed that the people who don't play MMO's are also saying that it's turnign them off becuase it's not what they like about the single player games.  Nevermind the amount of people who do play MMO's who are also saying the same thing.

Again, it doesn't sound bad to me, but WoW also did the exact same thing.  Hotbar skills and then weapon skills that you had to improve.  They removed the whole weapon skills having an impact becaue people would just exploit mobs to increase a new weapon skill quickly, and it was also redundant.

If I'm a mage, and I want to play a mage, why do I need to have a weapon skill?  Why should I have to worry about raising a weapon skill?  It's not something I ever did in an ES game unless I was intentionally building a battle mage type character.  What they're describing is a system that makes all mages a battlemage type character because every mage is going to have to level a weapon skill, and sinse two or your hotbuttons are dedicated to weapon attacks you'll HAVE to level a weapon.  When a 3rd of your attacks are dedicated weapon attacks you don't get an option to make a character that doesn't rely on using a weapon.

It read to much to me like they were half assing a system by trying to interpret something that doesn't need interpreting.  The only really good thing I got out of it was that they already have the system in place for on use skilling, so they it's not to late for them to do it correctly and impliment the same system used in all the other ES games.

Hopefully enough people show ZeniOnline that they're not happy with this move away from what made character development in the ES so great, and ZeniOnline actually listens to the fans and changes it.  I'm not holding my breathe though.

PS: Did the developer really say the same thing like 3 times, or did the author of the article just make it seem like the Dev was just repeating himself.  Reaffirming through repatition anyone?  What am I a frigging dog?  Sit, sit, sit, sit, oh good boy!  Will I get a treat if I suddenly develop blind fanaticism?

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Can somebody tellme if it's tab-target or aim based? I've read about combos and action oriented which is all nice, but i'd prefer to be able to aim down the line, similar, i guess, to TERA (not a fonboy of the game) since it's only those 6.

Also, can we atleast switch the 2 weapon skills. I get, and like, skills being linked to the weapon but i hate being froced to use only the pre-determined ones. With only 2, i'd expect normal attacks, uppercut, spin, leap, for sword for example. I want to select them to fit my strategy. Hope it works like that.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

So TESO Combat is basically going to be - TAB 1 2 3 4 5 6 TAB 1 2 3 4 5 6 TAB 1 2 3 4 5 6

I've had quite a LOT of time in TSW to know that this gets boring VERY quickly, and TSW only has 1 extra active slot than TESO.

Looks to be another SWTOR in the making with ANOTHER well known IP tbh, very depressing.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Can somebody tellme if it's tab-target or aim based? I've read about combos and action oriented which is all nice, but i'd prefer to be able to aim down the line, similar, i guess, to TERA (not a fonboy of the game) since it's only those 6.

Also, can we atleast switch the 2 weapon skills. I get, and like, skills being linked to the weapon but i hate being froced to use only the pre-determined ones. With only 2, i'd expect normal attacks, uppercut, spin, leap, for sword for example. I want to select them to fit my strategy. Hope it works like that.

Tab targetting.

Combat looks like it'll play out exactly like GW1 with a little GW2 thrown in, wich was effectively exactly the same as WoW with  a limitted skill deck that you build. 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Tab targetting.

Combat looks like it'll play out exactly like GW1 with a little GW2 thrown in, wich was effectively exactly the same as WoW with  a limitted skill deck that you build. 

Thanks for the reply. No really suprised i guess.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

Yes, it's tab-targetting.

As far as the weapon, it sounds like you have 2 hokeys of your 6 dedicated to your weapon(s). And you can swap out different abilities within those 2 slots. Also, it seems like any class can use and get good with any weapon type, and thus unlock new abilities for that weapon. Examples would be one-handed sword, two-handed sword, etc. etc.

Originally posted by Uhwop

Tab targetting.

Yea, that's also the same as EQ which came out in 1999, and DAoC, which came out in 2001. Those games are such WoW clones, srysly.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

but I can still pick up any weapon in the game and be good with it. And that’s true of anyone.

Color me slightly intrigued.  Does this mean any class can wield any weapon?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

but I can still pick up any weapon in the game and be good with it. And that’s true of anyone.

I believe so, yes. :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I believe so, yes. :)

Alright I have become sligtly less concerned then.  If they would just see fit to add player housing hten I could get board.  But thats a discussion for another topic.  I dont understand why they just dont do a classless based character system akin to normal TES games but if I can be an Axe Wielding BattleMage type I can probally get onboard.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Gurpslord

As for TESO, who cares what the combat is like.  This game has a stench about it that can be smelled for miles.

Like a field of roses.

As for TESO, who cares what the combat is like.  This game has a stench about it that can be smelled for miles.

Like a field of roses.

No...not roses

5000lb bag of rotting feces is closer

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

Like a field of roses.

No...not roses

I don't get what you hate about it? Just because it's a third person game, with tab targeting and a small hotbar, it sucks? I noticed a lot of those games you listed in your signature have the same features...

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

the only way to even bother with this game is if it will not have tab targeting and the combat will be more like darkfall online or even tera.. or like its on skyrim... the story and world alone wont win me.

Originally posted by sodade21

the only way to even bother with this game is if it will not have tab targeting and the combat will be more like darkfall online or even tera.. or like its on skyrim... the story and world alone wont win me.

I don't get why people are associating this game so much with the former Elder Scrolls games. It's ridiculous. Just because they have the same name. It's NOT like the former ES games, it's a DIFFERENT format. Just like Warcraft III is very different from WoW, they don't step on eachother's toes. If you enjoyed MMO's with tab-targeting and 3rd person views before, you may very well enjoy one that happens to be set in the world of Elder Scrolls.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Qal: its trendy to hate on it, once the bandwagon is rolling the sheeple flock.

Like a field of roses.

No...not roses

I don't get what you hate about it? Just because it's a third person game, with tab targeting and a small hotbar, it sucks?

Not just those features, but also the race/faction locks, fixed class based instead of open skill based, 100% soloable "personal" story, formulaic themepark style, no housing because its too hard to do and much more is going to make it suck. Developer Arrogance being the most glaring

I noticed a lot of those games you listed in your signature have the same features...

Yes..and you should also notice toward the end of my sig where I say most MMOs are crap and the future looks bleak

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Qal: its trendy to hate on it, once the bandwagon is rolling the sheeple flock.

Fine, then I'm making a new bandwagon. Hop on, you can be my co-pilot. lol