Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: Wayback Wednesday with UO Devs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this edition of Wayback Wednesday, we jump into the game for some quality time with Ultima Online developers Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong, Mike "Phoenix" Moore, Michael "Misk" Armstrong, Stephen "Bleak" Brown, Greg "Kyronix" Havlusch, and Kai Schober. The group had a rollicking good time so check out WayBack Wednesday with Ultima Online Devs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

I miss good ole UO so bad. Wish it was 1998 again

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Sorry, I still think the Enhanced Client Graphics look ugly for the most part and need a real reworking. And the fighting on testcenter covetous looks as exciting as watching paint dry.

Comparing covetous fighting to diablo 3 fighting - You fight endless waves for points for getting items with ugly graphics and pay a monthly fee .....

I know UO has no budget, so don't expect any really updates :)

I enjoyed my 10 years of UO, but EA is not willing to keep the game updated properly and just seems content to milk it dry with adding an itemshop to the monthly fee.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It was a good game before they over itemized it.  For good pvp equipment has be be fairly close, when they added the "Age of Shadows" expansion, they ruined that.  I had a great smith on Lake Superior that turned out great equipment for a reaonsable price which made it easy to replace for those wanting to pvp.

• AirmidCechtAirmidCecht Member Posts: 4

We had a great time on TC1 with you and Pokket. Thanks again :)

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

uo was the bomb back in the days......now its just al watered down to make it more easy.....it aint the UO it used to be.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131

UO died the day trammel was released. Killing and stealing from carebears will be forever missed. Felucca was the wild west of the MMO's, and then along came the carebear police and ruined the best pvp game of all time.

And Obii, duh, the graphics are 15 years old, you actually compared this to D3, LOLOLOLOL

• KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119

UO was at it's best from 1998-2000 and then suffered a huge blow with UO:R in 2000/1 with the introduction of Trammel. However, it didn't necessarily kill the game - just made it a lot easier for non-PvP people to avoid PvP all together. There was still a huge population though and faction warfare still allowed for good PvP. Trammel mainly killed PKing. 

I always considered AoS in 2003 the final blow. Game was declining population wise as people moved to new MMOs and AoS drastically changed how the game was played. Suddenly items had properities (itemization) and skills could now exceed 100 (with scrolls obtained through PvE) which was ridiculous. 

But nothing was like playing that game from release until UO:R came out. A completely unique experience in online gaming that has never once been close to being replicated. Best PvP MMO and best Social MMO all at the same time.

• Mr_RogersMr_Rogers Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Kappadonna

UO was at it's best from 1998-2000 and then suffered a huge blow with UO:R in 2000/1 with the introduction of Trammel. However, it didn't necessarily kill the game - 

Wrong

Originally posted by TomBaker_fan

UO died the day trammel was released. Killing and stealing from carebears will be forever missed. Felucca was the wild west of the MMO's, and then along came the carebear police and ruined the best pvp game of all time.

Right

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Wish they would come out with a official classic server, they have come close to doing it, but nothing yet.

I also prefer the 2d client, the 3d client seems blurry/jumpy.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Lots of great memories of the orginal game when it first came out.  Additional add on's kinda destroyed the orginal concept of the game.

Too bad it was never graphically updated.

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

THey need to get off there butts an make a new freaking game >.< soooo many people would play a up to date version of a UO type game created by the UO staff. I disagree about the time frame of UO death it was all good Till Age of shadows then suckage began those us that lived in fel didn't really notice tram. There were still plenty off you to kill for me every day mwahaha

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Ishkal

THey need to get off there butts an make a new freaking game >.< soooo many people would play a up to date version of a UO type game created by the UO staff. I disagree about the time frame of UO death it was all good Till Age of shadows then suckage began those us that lived in fel didn't really notice tram. There were still plenty off you to kill for me every day mwahaha

I wish this would happen as well, but sadly I don't think it will until EA loses the rights to Ultima.  Origin, like Westwood and soon to be Bioware, was just another casuality of the EA machine.  They gobbled up their studio and all their IPs and destroyed them as only they can.  In fact, just to put a nail in the coffin, EA used the "Origin" name for the digital distribution platform.

I heard that Richard Garriot even went to EA with hat in hand and asked if he could use the Ultima IP for a game, and they basically told him to F himself.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• KarengeKarenge Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Kappadonna

UO was at it's best from 1998-2000 and then suffered a huge blow with UO:R in 2000/1 with the introduction of Trammel. However, it didn't necessarily kill the game - just made it a lot easier for non-PvP people to avoid PvP all together. There was still a huge population though and faction warfare still allowed for good PvP. Trammel mainly killed PKing. 

But nothing was like playing that game from release until UO:R came out. A completely unique experience in online gaming that has never once been close to being replicated. Best PvP MMO and best Social MMO all at the same time.

Agreed

I remember hoping and waiting for UO2.  I left when they introduced Trammel and later came back but it was only a short stay.

RIP UO.