Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player died after playing Diablo III for 72h straight ...

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Mmm, siding with Diablo on this one. As horrible as this is going to sound, if you die from playing a video game nonstop for 70+ hours, it's probably in everyone's best interest that you're no longer contributing to the gene pool.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Wait, Battlenet was up for 72 hours?

• DalaimocDalaimoc Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by jinxit

...amazing huh ? or it was a hoax and he cheated and actually died of boredom playing SWTOR

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Raekon

Even you are right in many points, he actually did cause his own death in this case.

- He got offered help from the outside and didn't wanted it

- He even got offered a free pass for a gym and didn't wanted it

There is only as much as one can do to help in some cases cause you can't chain these people away and force them to stop against their will.

So it was his choice to ignore all warnings and his choice lead to his death.

Many games nowadays are having notifications that are asking you to take a pause.

Heck even Guild Wars 1 had one that reminds you every hour to take a pause.

Digimon Masters online even let you only play for 3 hours straight and locked the game from you for 24 hours after.

People whined left and right and would rather quit the game and harm the developer through it instead of be thankful for such a action cause such a system takes away their right of choice or own decision.

So one can blame games as much as they want but at the end of the day, everyone is responsible for his/her own actions.

Many people underestimate the follow ups of such a behaviour with comments like "sleep is overrated" or "I can sleep when I'm dead lol" or another classic one "I'm still young and can take it".

All these comments are taking place till one day the reality bites them on their own butt and shows them that none of these comments are actually valid and that sleep is really needed cause no matter if you feel it or not, your brain and body are  taking damage when you lack on sleep and causes issues on your "system" without you even noticing.

So a huge PLEASE to everyone, take breaks in between, sleep and try to go around unhealthy eating/drinking behaviours.

Drink enough water and skip a red bull or coffee (2 cups of coffee per day are ok if you have no testinal issues and if you follow up with 2 cups of water after the coffee).

Have fun, enjoy games but don't forget real life is there too! :)

I fear I have to agree. Your body is your own responsibility and since we are all induviduals making laws about it make no sense.

We just have to take care of us, that is the definition of being a grownup. Having big brother do it is not a good idea, or we all would become giant babies fast.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Dalaimoc

...amazing huh ? or it was a hoax and he cheated and actually died of boredom playing SWTOR

I don´t think you actually can die of boredom, or the people working in road tolls would have a high deathcount.

On the other hand wont I try to say.. Watch all episodes of greys anathomy in a row to see if it is true or not.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

LOL...exactly what I was thinking.  Story has to be BS.  Or at least some severe exaggeration going on.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • DalaimocDalaimoc Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Loke666

I don´t think you actually can die of boredom, or the people working in road tolls would have a high deathcount.

On the other hand wont I try to say.. Watch all episodes of greys anathomy in a row to see if it is true or not.

I thought it was Dr.Quinn -Medicine Woman- which was initially used as the boredom-torture in interrogations. Later on it was banned due to intervention of Amnesty International.

I have seen the road tollbooths in the states when i was visiting, thought it kind of funny, that people would actually work there. In Germany we don't have them. Too hard to aim the coins properly when passing by at 150mph ;-)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Grey's Anatomy? I would be gone in 5 minutes if people could die of boredom image

I agree with what you said in a previous post: as soon as one is an adult, what he/she does with his/her body is not up to other people or even governments, something we have to remind the latter in my opinion. Blizzard's sole responsiblity is to make a good game. It is up to us to have some common sense.

I absolutely adore D3, prefering it in some ways to even D2 which is saying a lot, but I could never play 72 hours straight. I was logged on for 18 hours the first day I played, but a lot of that was actually spent afk while I was working on various different things, cooking meals, doing chores, etc..

What is funny is I get more pleasure from gaming by taking an hour or two break between play sessions. It keeps me wanting to get back in and play some more. If I do marathon sessions, I tend to burn out. I am not sure how other people feel with this.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190

I agree I also enjoy it alot more to take small breaks, creates more hype as well

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

Grey's Anatomy? I would be gone in 5 minutes if people could die of boredom image

I agree with what you said in a previous post: as soon as one is an adult, what he/she does with his/her body is not up to other people or even governments, something we have to remind the latter in my opinion. Blizzard's sole responsiblity is to make a good game. It is up to us to have some common sense.

I absolutely adore D3, prefering it in some ways to even D2 which is saying a lot, but I could never play 72 hours straight. I was logged on for 18 hours the first day I played, but a lot of that was actually spent afk while I was working on various different things, cooking meals, doing chores, etc..

What is funny is I get more pleasure from gaming by taking an hour or two break between play sessions. It keeps me wanting to get back in and play some more. If I do marathon sessions, I tend to burn out. I am not sure how other people feel with this.

Nope, he spent 72hrs trying to login.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

its sad that he died but story was distorted

guy played Diablo off and on during the course of 5-6 days - and probably died due to apnea

the 72 hours comes from the fact that he took 3 days off from work (Tues thru Thurs)  - but he took Friday off too

time of death was sometime between Saturday night and Sunday

http://buildstarted.com/2012/05/21/please-dont-let-gaming-consume-your-life/

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/345235/20120525/gamer-died-playing-diablo-3-days.htm

"Unfortunately the events portrayed are not entirely accurate and are being sensationalized. Russell struggled with health problems for some time and did not commit to a 3 day marathon session of Diablo 3. Many were excited over the release. The night before he was out with friends until 1am." one family member commented.

Relatives and friends plead that Russell must not be remembered as an addict gamer but a kind and loving person. It seems that Russell suffered health problems that eventually led to his untimely demise.

Another commented, "Russell had struggled with apnea for the entirety of the decade and a half that I knew him, due to complications in that regard he'd had trouble managing his weight, but it was believed by the coroner that was at the scene that Russell had not died of a heart attack but instead died due to his apnea; it was an overzealous assumption on someone's part that he died of a heart attack, there was no fact backing the statement."

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

pretty common in Asian countries... but nothing new here, buddy was a heffer and died because he was a fat lazy sac and didn't help himself.  I don't give pitty to those who dig thier own holes.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It's hard to really know what to make of the story because we don't have a full medical history.  It's unusual for a person to have a heart attack in their 30's.  I work on a cardiac telemetry floor and usually 40 and up.  But if you have other health issues or drug habit, morbid obesity, diabetes, smoking, etc, all the risk factors start to add up.

Sitting for long periods can be really bad for you though.  You could get a blood clot in your legs that might travel to the heart and cause a heart attack.  It's good to take a break now and again and stretch the legs.  

as i stated 2 posts earlier

Coroner believed he died due to apnea

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by i_own_u
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Of course "Man dies of heartattack" is hardly news wrothy, and definately not going to get more hits on your website.  Journalistic integrity is actually an oxymoron.

well i think video game addiction deserves more public awareness and exposure, like drinking, smoking, enjoying cocaine, etc. it's a social problem like any other.

I do not believe there is any such thing as "video game addiction." An addiction as defined by dictionary.com is "the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma."

I do not believe that any individual will suffer severe trauma if brought away from a video game. Narcotics create a physical need in your bodily system that you physically cannot live without.

There is a problem with people becoming obsessed with video games. but I believe that you cannot say video games have the same pull physically as lets say, cigarettes.

By your logic then gambling isnt an addiction either. The only difference between video game addiction (or television for that matter) and gambling addictions is that you lose less money.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

i can't play any game for more than 3 hours straight, so how someone can play for 72 hours baffles me completely.

he didnt play for 72 hours straight - thats wrong info making the internet

guy took 3 days off from work, thats where the 72 hours is being made up

He played Diablo for 5 or 6 days -- off and on,  from Tuesday to Saturday night or Sunday

died due to his history wth apnea

sources:

http://buildstarted.com/2012/05/21/please-dont-let-gaming-consume-your-life/

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/345235/20120525/gamer-died-playing-diablo-3-days.htm

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Energy drinks or soft drinks = low potassium + pre-existing heart defect + young age =  massive heart attack.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

if you read that thread  titled "what will you be eating during guild wars 2 bwe" im not surprised people are getting heart attacks..gamers eat the most disgusting crap.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

/Me sticks a Gold coin in the guys mouth...

/Me wishes you luck on your journey across the river...

Not to be a Troll, but Hey man when you get to the other side let me know how the spirit world is like are you experience Diablo3 in Real Life now I am really some what curious.

Like seriously the longest ive stay up is 48 hours and it wasn't playing Diablo3.

Also so true, Meat Eaters seem to be dying more, and I don't know why it is like the cows are getting revenge, or maybe its because all meat that was being used at Burger King, and Mcdonalds had pink slime in it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Of course "Man dies of heartattack" is hardly news wrothy, and definately not going to get more hits on your website.  Journalistic integrity is actually an oxymoron.

well i think video game addiction deserves more public awareness and exposure, like drinking, smoking, enjoying cocaine, etc. it's a social problem like any other.

Erm.......no, I gotta disagree.

Alocohol, cigarettes and cocaine all have something in common.  They are all psychoactive substances with KNOWN and PROVEN addictive properties.

Video gaming is erm...not.  It's a recreational activity like any other.  Can some people play video games to the point of detriment?  Of course...but they could also do this with any recreational activity like sports, TV, reading books, walking around the mall, collecting things, hanging out with their friends...

Why don't we see stories about a guy who was "addicted" to football dying from a heart attack because he trained too hard?  I'm sure it has happened...and probably multiple times.  Heck, I heard from a coworker that some kid got their neck broken at a high school football game and it probably didn't even make the city paper.

I'm going to be honest here...I don't think you can get "addicted" to video games (specifically) in the same way you can be addicted to drugs. 

But I DO think people can be addicted to "escapism" in general and basically not wanting to face their real life.  They can pick a specific kind of escapism to be addicted to (like video games), but that doesn't mean there is any "magical" property of video games that make them "addictive" like drugs are.

People most certainly do. The same way some get addicted to shopping, gambling, etc. Some people are simply prone to addiction and excessive behavior. It is the same reason some schmuck kills another guy over his D&D character. Or a lady leaves her six month old home alone to hit the sales at Kohl's. Or a man take his kid's college fund and squanders it at the track.

It isn't the fault of the product or event but the addiction is real. Just because it doesn't have a physical counterpart causing the addiction does not mean it is any less real for the person. Psychological and genetic counterparts both lead to some people unfortunately being prone to this type of behavior. Sad to see really at times if they don't take the proper measures to keep it in check or seek help if they need it. Because many times not only to they cause irreparable harm to themselves but many times their actions effect many others as well.

On a side note unrelated to the post I quoted, some of you really are uptight about the whole discussion. I mean goddamn just because someone discusses the matter does not mean they're demonizing video games. Probably wouldn't be here in the first place if they did feel that way.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Maybe Blizzard should twist this story around a little and use it as advertising.  Imagine the headline: "Diablo 3 scares player to death!".

Anyway, dumb people do dumb things and something bad happens.  Nature working as intended.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Soon with all the gamers who cant survive 3 days of gaming with no breaks dead a new gamer superbreed will emerge..able to game for untold hours before death...granted that is that they actually get out and breed at some point

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by Renoaku

/Me sticks a Gold coin in the guys mouth...

/Me wishes you luck on your journey across the river...

Not to be a Troll, but Hey man when you get to the other side let me know how the spirit world is like are you experience Diablo3 in Real Life now I am really some what curious.

Like seriously the longest ive stay up is 48 hours and it wasn't playing Diablo3.

Also so true, Meat Eaters seem to be dying more, and I don't know why it is like the cows are getting revenge, or maybe its because all meat that was being used at Burger King, and Mcdonalds had pink slime in it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30

good thing i ate taco bell today

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Always unfortunate to hear of a senseless death, but it sounds as if this individual had numerous problems unrelated to Diablo 3. RIP all the same.