Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Hell Hurts

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Chopsticks

It is like WoW, compared to most games that involve shotguns and assault rifles.  I think the issue is that they might've dont better breaking away from traditional MMO combat more, to fit the modern setting.

Yeah the game has dungeons, therefore it's like WoW. It has hotbars too. Go figure another WoW clone right?

Did you read more than the first four words of my post?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by heartless

I have to be honest here. While the stories, the investigation quests and the evironmental graphics are intriguing, the combat is absolute rubbish. There is just something not right about standing toe to toe with your opponent, spraying him with an assault rifle, while he's hitting you with a melee weapon.

The game has numerious issues and being that release is about 3 weeks away, this is going to be another AoC all over again. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. You can't place consumables on the action bar nor can you assign a keybind to them. You have to create a special bag for them and lock that bag into place. Moreover, most consumable icons look very similar so in a heat of battle, where every second counts, you're not really sure if you're about to click the health potion or a +hit potion. It's painfully obvious that QA did not spend enough time on the UI which, while looking nice, is very unintuitive and confusing. Neither have the spent enough time QAing crafting.

Does TSW have redeeming qualities? Absolutely, but most of the game is simply not finished and needs at least 3 more months in the oven. At the very least 3, preferably 6.

That's just my opinion after playing 2 beta weekends. Apparently closed beta has a newer client and the CB testers obviously have access to more content. BWE's were limited to London and Kingsmouth. However, I highly doubt that the CB client is in a much better state that the one used in the BWE.

Yes six more months due to consumables looking the same, great analysis...

Every MMO would be better if they put it off for another 6 months.  This will not be another AoC, that was just a crap game overall on top of a very buggy release.  The weekend beta was more playable than AoC was at lauch so people can save their breath about this being another AoC lauch.

For the love of all things holy, where are all these everything must now play like FPS people coming from?  I don't think it's the worlds best MMO combat but damn it's not that bad.  You would think I was making some FPS Mountain Dew chugging teenager play EQ's combat the way people are reacting.

Deciding to buy this game or not off of one small zone and a small percentage of the skills that will be available is probably not a great idea either for or against.

The consumable thing was an example. This is not a feedback thread and I didn't want to list all of the issues with the game. But the simple fact that you cannot place consumables on an action bar or even assign keybinds to them speaks very loudly of the state of the game. I mean, that basic functionality that should have been in place since the alpha version.

• PhaedricPhaedric Member Posts: 18

Aye,but does hell hath fury like a woman scorned?

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Grakulen

AdamTM writes:

For the love of god man!

While I dont' think God would appreciate me making promotional videos for Hell I do agree that it is a little dark (and I do mean a little, this game is dark, the shots Bill has are when effects lighting the area were going off) I am rerendering to see if I can brighten it up a bit.

Just check your encoding if you exported it as .mov i get this sometimes with more funky codecs on youtube, the contrast suddenly gets bumped up even though it looks fine in quicktime.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I agree that Ressurection spells just cheapen the fight, and with everyone able to use any skill, everyone would be expected to bring one. Making it kind of redundant, at least in other games only healers can ressurect and they have to risk killing the group while doing so.

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

I have to be honest here. While the stories, the investigation quests and the evironmental graphics are intriguing, the combat is absolute rubbish. There is just something not right about standing toe to toe with your opponent, spraying him with an assault rifle, while he's hitting you with a melee weapon.

The game has numerious issues and being that release is about 3 weeks away, this is going to be another AoC all over again. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. You can't place consumables on the action bar nor can you assign a keybind to them. You have to create a special bag for them and lock that bag into place. Moreover, most consumable icons look very similar so in a heat of battle, where every second counts, you're not really sure if you're about to click the health potion or a +hit potion. It's painfully obvious that QA did not spend enough time on the UI which, while looking nice, is very unintuitive and confusing. Neither have the spent enough time QAing crafting.

Does TSW have redeeming qualities? Absolutely, but most of the game is simply not finished and needs at least 3 more months in the oven. At the very least 3, preferably 6.

That's just my opinion after playing 2 beta weekends. Apparently closed beta has a newer client and the CB testers obviously have access to more content. BWE's were limited to London and Kingsmouth. However, I highly doubt that the CB client is in a much better state that the one used in the BWE.

Every MMO would be better if they put it off for another 6 months.  This will not be another AoC, that was just a crap game overall on top of a very buggy release.  The weekend beta was more playable than AoC was at lauch so people can save their breath about this being another AoC lauch.

For the love of all things holy, where are all these everything must now play like FPS people coming from?  I don't think it's the worlds best MMO combat but damn it's not that bad.  You would think I was making some FPS Mountain Dew chugging teenager play EQ's combat the way people are reacting.

Deciding to buy this game or not off of one small zone and a small percentage of the skills that will be available is probably not a great idea either for or against.

The consumable thing was an example. This is not a feedback thread and I didn't want to list all of the issues with the game. But the simple fact that you cannot place consumables on an action bar or even assign keybinds to them speaks very loudly of the state of the game. I mean, that basic functionality that should have been in place since the alpha version.

No this doesn't speak to anything, but you shouldn't be taking up one of your seven hot bar slots with a consumable. We'll see though what the do with them.

The game runs nearly as good as WoW in beta. It's not cpu bound  like swtor, and gw2.  

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I agree with the potion thing, that said still a good mmo
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

No this doesn't speak to anything, but you shouldn't be taking up one of your seven hot bar slots with a consumable. We'll see though what the do with them.

The game runs nearly as good as WoW in beta. It's not cpu bound  like swtor, and gw2.  

They need to add a smaller, keybindable action bar (4-6 slots) specifically for consumables, imo. Or at least allow us to assign keybinds to that extra bag, if they insist on keeping it.

They need to add a smaller, keybindable action bar (4-6 slots) specifically for consumables, imo. Or at least allow us to assign keybinds to that extra bag, if they insist on keeping it.

Holy shoot we agree. I'm sure there is a plan, but we will see.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

I was surprised with how smooth the game runs in my 2,5 years old laptop with a i5 M430 and a mobility radeon HD5650.

played in mid (1366x768)

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

You could just make a new bag on the inventory UI - it can work for a consumable bar as its only a block of about 8 slots - just have to double click the consumables in that window. Just make sure to lock the new bag down so you wont move it/esc it away

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by Kaocan

When Funcom first designed TSW, I bet the coversation went just like this:

Chief Game Designer: It will be an MMORPG in a modern setting inspired by the works of H. P. Lovecarft.

Chief Game Designer's Boss: We don't want to take any risks - the gameplay has to be modelled on World of Warcraft.

Chief Game Designer: Ok.

You should delete all of them, not just the repeats. TSW gameplay isnt like WoW at all, you're just making a troll comment which isnt needed.

TSW's gameplay is exactly like WoW looking at the video.

It could even be worse than WoW's gameplay - the makers of the video felt they needed to speed up the gameplay several times and use pumping music to make it look exciting.

It is like WoW, compared to most games that involve shotguns and assault rifles.  I think the issue is that they might've dont better breaking away from traditional MMO combat more, to fit the modern setting.

Yeah the game has dungeons, therefore it's like WoW. It has hotbars too. Go figure another WoW clone right?

TSW is based on the books of H. P. Lovecraft with the addition of 3 factions.

Therefore, it should feel like a scary, creepy world.

Now look at the gameplay videos of TSW. Do they have the feel of WoW or the feel of an H. P. Lovecraft book?

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Only thing that turns me off this game is the combat. If that could be made punchier and more satisfying then I would give this game a try. Lots of cool stuff in TSW let down by a dated and sorely inadequate combat system.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Vonatar
    inadequate

maybe you should use a different word, Combat fulfills its purpose.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Now look at the gameplay videos of TSW. Do they have the feel of WoW or the feel of an H. P. Lovecraft book?

They never said this was a Lovecraft mmo, people just forgot to actually read what the game was about. They looked at abit of videos, 1 or 2 interviews and went: "Oh, it's a L4D and LC mmorpg."

It's a game about all legend, myths and conspiracies. LC is just a small part of game. Egyptian mythology, for example, is another part of the game. They never said the game would be scary like those works, you made yourself believe so because you forgot to actually read the info.

But then again, that's the normal rule of the internet. Skim through it and then complain it's not what they wanted.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

It could even be worse than WoW's gameplay - the makers of the video felt they needed to speed up the gameplay several times and use pumping music to make it look exciting.

From what I recall, Wow doesn't have collision detection, dual targeting, non-target based point-black AoE cone combat, interactive state skill synergies, nor a limited active skill deck. Next to that, questing/leveling that I also consider part of an MMORPG's gameplay has also different mechanics and feel than WoW's questing and leveling.

While playing, I found that TSW had a very different atmosphere and feel to it than WoW, in setting, graphical feel and world design as well as monster models. Its tone reminded me far more to AoC's world design than the cartoony feel of WoW's world. So no, personally I felt less like wandering around in the bright and cheery Goldshire or Teldrassil than wandering around in a world inspired by Lovecraft and Stephen King and other modern day urban fantasy literature (Lovecraft was only 1 inspirational source, they stated others as well which is also obvious by the different themes of Egypt and Transylvania and the many ingame references to all kinds of literature and themes).

But that's how I regarded it. I agree in that how someone personally feels towards a game and the associations it triggers, is different from 1 person to the next.

Chief Game Designer: It will be an MMORPG in a modern setting inspired by the works of H. P. Lovecarft.

Chief Game Designer's Boss: We don't want to take any risks - the gameplay has to be modelled on World of Warcraft.

You should delete all of them, not just the repeats. TSW gameplay isnt like WoW at all, you're just making a troll comment which isnt needed.

The game is scary. Almost too scary at times. True stroy.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw is not based on HP lovecraft. The new England regions - kingsmouth, savage coast and blue mountain have some lovecraft influences, along with Poe, King, norse mythology, mayan mythology, native American mythology, tv shows like the x files & fringe and many other influences. The Egypt zones are nothing like lovecraft at all, taking influences from egyptian, Roman and Christian mythology.
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

When Funcom first designed TSW, I bet the coversation went just like this:

I am sorry but what the hell is this?

By tha tlogic Guild Wars II is also "modelled on World of Warcraft" (even though its as far from WOW as possible in terms of mmo design). This is a bit closer to GW II than WOW. 

. Nowadays "it has minimap" instantly equates with WOW for some people... Actually read stuff before assuming next time.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Its scary enough, both in atmosphere and "shock scares" (stuff appearing). 

Even TotalBiscuit(who generally fails at mmos and puzzle games) noted that this is one of the most immersive and atmospheric mmos to be ever created. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131

When Funcom first designed TSW, I bet the coversation went just like this:

Delete this one as well, wasn't funny, clever, or original.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131

So the game is being pushed back to July 3rd with the next beta weekend not coming until mid June. I am glad they are taking extra time to add polish and get things right. Looking forward to my birthday!

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

Wow the combat is just crap.. stand by the mob and press buttons? YEYE

I like everything else about the game but the combat just sucks

Should have adopted tera combat for this game

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by spawn12345

Yes cuss clearly dodging the BAM and then watch him stand facing the wrong direction while doing absolutely NOTHING for several seconds, untill he turns, dashes away and stand somewhere else doing absolutely nothing, is alot of fun!

Originally posted by spawn12345

The only reason I have not tried tera is that it uses FPS controls instead of MMO controls. I've played mmos for years. Couldn't have made a mmo with mmo controls aim? I click both mouse buttons to move.