Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 hacks are not a Blizzard problem states Blizzard

124»

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by Chuckanar
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Fessor111

Can't you use your mobile phone as authenticator anymore?

Yes you can.

Can I? I dont have a smart phone and dont need one. I have a basic cellular phone with text. I dont need to surf the web check emails or such on my phone. Can I still use this authenticator without a smart phone?

I do know one thing and my pc has the latest updates and virus protection. My buddies smartphone is easier to hack by far since they dont have any protection of any worth.

Your simple txt phone will work now and if not now shortly as blizzard is now rolling out sms (txt) authentication.

As for your smart phone getting hacked, sure its possible, but that would require the hacker to be in proximity to you to get your information. They would then still need your account user name and password, and be able to access that phone with in 30 seconds of the number being generated. Most folks with these skills couldnt care less about your D3 account.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Mephster

Yeah ok Blizzard. I like your games but your business practices are just poor as hell. It is so much easier to blame the next guy when Diablo 3 has a ton of issues right now.

Link: http://www.incgamers.com/News/31394/diablo-3-hacks-are-not-a-blizzard-problem-state-blizzard 

Actually, the burden of proof is on the people making the charge to substantiate it.    Getting hacked when you have an RMA token isn't easy.  Possible, but not easy, and most likely, not worth the trouble.

I believe Blizzard when they say nobody with an authenticator got hacked.  And I still disagree with their absurd DRM, their RMAH, and their general approach to things as of late.

• lindenmeyerlindenmeyer Member UncommonPosts: 55

rumor say that playing public game increase your chance for being hacked ... one friend played 1 time and got hacked at next day and have ppl at blizzard forum saying that even using the Authenticator they got hacked...

well i have the Authenticator on and dont play public games xD hope be safe ...

cya!

Originally posted by saurus123
    Originally posted by Xzen

Buy an authenticator or if you have a smart phone (I know you have one) just get the authenticator app. You're other choice is to get smarter when it comes to protecting yourself from keyloggers etc..

getting authenticator doesnt help

problem is when you join or create public games these "hackers" can read your real id and exploit/copy it somehow

next time you log into the game seeing your char is naked and have strange names in thier friendlist

thats how few of my friends was "hacked" by joining public games

That's session spoofing.  And in short, while technically possible, it is absurdly unlikely.  Dubya proved pretty much beyond a shadow of a doubt this fact in the other thread.

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Yes you can.

Can I? I dont have a smart phone and dont need one. I have a basic cellular phone with text. I dont need to surf the web check emails or such on my phone. Can I still use this authenticator without a smart phone?

I do know one thing and my pc has the latest updates and virus protection. My buddies smartphone is easier to hack by far since they dont have any protection of any worth.

Your simple txt phone will work now and if not now shortly as blizzard is now rolling out sms (txt) authentication.

Didn't know that.  That is very good news, and certainly a step in the right direction.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by iceman00

Buy an authenticator or if you have a smart phone (I know you have one) just get the authenticator app. You're other choice is to get smarter when it comes to protecting yourself from keyloggers etc..

problem is when you join or create public games these "hackers" can read your real id and exploit/copy it somehow

next time you log into the game seeing your char is naked and have strange names in thier friendlist

That's session spoofing.  And in short, while technically possible, it is absurdly unlikely.  Dubya proved pretty much beyond a shadow of a doubt this fact in the other thread.

Yep, just to reiterate:

I captured all traffic between the game and the Diablo server. At no time does the game expose the Session ID required for a session hijacking exploit.

Session Hijacking is a vulnerability in SSL connections. 

Again, there is no Session Hijacking exploit in Diablo 3. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• It's great that Blizzard offer the authenticator solution to the poor souls who fall prey to the various account stealing tactics. Other companies should learn from Blizzard's example and try to be as alert when it comes to security.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Because their games are popular they are supposed to give away authenticators at a loss?  If you get keylogged it's your own fault.  Sure it sucks, but no one says you have to surf all over the web and click links in emails on your gaming machine.  If you must, then get an authenticator.

If people found a way around the authenticator, other than thru a man in the middle app you downloaded by accident, then they will be responsible.

Oh yeah, not going to that site as I'm pretty sure they had issues with bad ads.

Nah, in Diablo 3s case the box should have had a auth included, people might have whined a little of the increased price of the game but for a game with a real money AH it really is the only way.

All hackers in the world probably just gave up on Wow and moved to D3, and even if Blizzard ain´t legally responsibility for that the large amount of hacking will hurt their name.

If you play, get an auth now. Safe behavior on the net makes chanses that you´ll get hacked decreased a lot but the only 100% safe way if to buy the auth.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Blizzard can't be responsible for everything that happens to players and their accounts. Sure, they have an element of responsibility, in that its their game and their software; but they can't possibly be held responsible for absolutely everything.

Having said that however... I'm still not in agreement of forcing singleplayers to have to get online; biggest reason why I did not purchase the game. I know hacking is what most people cite as the reason, but its obvious to me that the main reason is the RMAH.

Anyway, its never fun to have your account hacked (never happened to me), and I hope those who did get their accounts hacked are able to get their items back and get back to playing :-)

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by iceman00
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Yes you can.

Didn't know that.  That is very good news, and certainly a step in the right direction.

I enable it some time ago and while the speed of the service isn't the best (judging from the conformation code you recieve), it's seems to do it's job. Mind though, most of this service is for protecting your general Battle.net account. For Diablo 3 this is listed specifically:

If you play Diablo III...

We may also text you verification codes if we detect suspicious activity and for approving transactions in the real-money auction house.

So far I haven't been targetted, so I'm not sure what Blizzard specifically means with 'suspicisous activity', but the RMAH bit is pretty nice. This is a SMS service, so free to use (with my plan at least).

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

That needs some serious evidence or proof to support that claim.

I'd also wager your friend who has this authenticator doesn't have it authenticate at every login.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

So Blizzard..

• Supply physical authenticators for cost price
    • Supply free authenticator apps for all three major smartphone platforms
    • Provide a free SMS service to notify you of security-related activity on your account
    • Restore your stuff if you don't use the authentication options they offer and then let your password get compromised

And people are still whining that they should do more? What, exactly, should they do?