Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's so good about the PvP in this game?

jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332

Hey all, I've actually never played DAoC but since there seems to be some similarities between this game and TESO, I'm curious as to what made the PvP in this game so good.

What were the reasons for pvping? (Was it for clans to fight over player owned cities? Was it for loot/stats effecting rewards? Did it have any effect on the actual game world?)

How much of the world is a pvp zone?

What are the consequences for death?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• DalamarGMDalamarGM Member UncommonPosts: 12

Sorry that no one has replied to this yet.

There are multiple reasons players PvP (or we call it RvR as it's a more 'educated' form of PvP :P )

Realm Points - Allowed you to acquire powerful abilities that could more or less change the course of entire battles.

Bounty Points - Can be exchanged for powerful gear, used to purchase buffs and special keep guardians. 

Keeps / Towers claimed - Guilds could claim keeps/towers

Whichever realm has the larges amount of enemy towers unlocks access to Darkness Falls, one of the best places to level and farm for money.

There are also 2 relics that each realm has. These relics give Melee / Magic bonuses to whichever realm holds the other realms relics.

The RvR area is massive the largest PvP zone that's ever been featured in a MMO. It consists of 3 large continents with various environmental differences.

Midgard- Norse, snowy zone filled with mountains. 

Hibernia - Celtic, verdant area filled with trees and foliage

Albion - Briton, Large open plains and ancient roman ruins

All these zones are connected via the 3 seas and a large and relatively new large land mass called Agramon, ancient home of the Minotaurs.

Death - Sickness that severely lowers your combat effectiveness - lasts approx 2mins and can be dispelled by Perfector healers

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175

I think what makes the RvR in DAoC so good was simply the fact that it wasn't some soulless pvP as in other games.

Here you were part of a realm.

I assume you are saying "big deal" right now?

Yes, actually it was.

Classic DAoC you could only belong to one realm on one server, so simple realm swapping because today maybe there weren't enough Hibs on hand for a nice RvR fight so you just logged out of your Mid and in as a Hib wasn't possible.

Whichever realm you picked, that was your realm!

So, if your realm (say Hib) lost a battle, a relic, something out in RvR it was - indirectly - you who lost it.

Which game mechanic feedback this had on the world is not important - have a look at online, there are enough details - it was simply a matter of somebody having kicked your uncle, now you want revenge!

And here is now an important bit: vanila DAoC very much limited PvP to the battlegrounds, so a bit of fun fighting between some guys wasn't really possible.

Rather the whole thing suffered from something like a snowball effect: maybe a bunch of Hibs and Mids get together for a bit of caual pre-planned PvP.

"Sadly" it had to happen out in the battlegrounds and was therefore "sadly" likely to attract other gamers.

So, before long that cozy 5 on 5 could turn into a 20 on 20... with Albs not far behind, bang, there was your 60 men (and women) pile-up.

You just didn't go and say "hey, that's my realm mate getting a beating, I'll let him alone", you went in!

it's really hard to explain the whole synergy, but what you should understand is that you just didn't pick a realm at random.

you may do so in other games, where you say "hey, I'm a citizen of X, so what?" but in vanilla DAoC the races were close enough and yet different enough to still make selecting the right realm a real choice.

Afterall you wouldn't want to tipple around in gay elfland just because maybe their Ranger was just a bit more of the class you'd prefer over Mid's Hunter or Alb's Scout.

Don't know if this helps in any way... I guess it's one of those things where you just go "you must have been there to understand"...

Frankly, looking at today's community I no longer see this natural "bound" between gamer and game/gameworld... *shrug*

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

As the above poster states you had to be there really.

I'll also add depending on server 2 sides may have been heavily outnumbered so you would team up to take down the larger force,  then the standoff begins are we goign to hi5 each other at a well fought victory or turn on each other I've seen these standoffs last for great deals of time before until finally someone said fook it and charged in and bloodbath 2nd round begins.

It was a truly great game that directed people towards PVP and with a great pride in your realm due to the lock.  Something no MMO has really captured since.

• DalamarGMDalamarGM Member UncommonPosts: 12

Nothing beats a classic keep siege.

I remember spending hours defending the keep from invaders.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's less gamey than your WvW and warhammer and whatever that rift expansion calls it.

Only other game to get that daoc magic was planetside.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I think much of it is nostalgia. The first one to get it right for many folks. Your first time is always "magical" image

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

What was so great about daoc pvp?  

everything.

You just had to be there.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

The in depth dps table, the effectiveness of small guild groups, the hectic fights over relics in random field battles, raging with 300 people fighting. The longest keep sieges of trebuchets, rams, catapults and palintones firing off fire bolts, diseased carcasses, and ice shot. The level of detail tp the races/classes of the game, and following the lore very closely. The game was, and still is, damn good.

FYI to all those old players that read this, they went back to the old relic system!! Its on mutha effas!!!!

O and you get a free transfer of all your toons to the new servers, and 14 days free just for coming back to try it out, so if anything, you can log in and see how it is, see how much has changed.

log in to that toon, and type /freexfer ywain(# of server here) Would love to see some old players return!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• RaevanhawkRaevanhawk Member Posts: 86

What I enjoyed is no two classes were the same. Today everything is starting to slant towards mirror classes on the enemy side. In DAOC classes in Hibernia were not the same in Midgard or the same in Albion.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I believe the correct answer is "the game's combat mechanics". If DAOC had Warhammer's combat mechanics or EQ2's combat mechanics or whichever other AAA fantasy MMORPG, then DAOC would have sucked dick. The combat mechanics were the core of what made DAOC great. Always surprised to see a lack of people acknowledging this, while instead attributing the awesomeness more to RvR or realm pride or the keeps or whatever else.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

This game might have been good once. I personally think it is rose colored glasses.

Now the game is garbage and date in so many ways. The ui is horrendous. The CC is just stupid. You could literally get cced and walk to the fridge to grab a beer, come back and still be cced.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    Originally posted by Kuppa

I think much of it is nostalgia. The first one to get it right for many folks. Your first time is always "magical" image

LOL guess that is different for guys and girls.. my first time was HORRIBLE!

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    Originally posted by Atlan99

This game might have been good once. I personally think it is rose colored glasses.

Now the game is garbage and date in so many ways. The ui is horrendous. The CC is just stupid. You could literally get cced and walk to the fridge to grab a beer, come back and still be cced.

CC was always insane reason I quit playing and I loved the game.

• Styles755Styles755 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Atlan99

The game was great when it came out and like a lot of other games, expansions & patches caused unbalanced classes & items.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by jakojako

Hey all, I've actually never played DAoC but since there seems to be some similarities between this game and TESO, I'm curious as to what made the PvP in this game so good.

What were the reasons for pvping? (Was it for clans to fight over player owned cities? Was it for loot/stats effecting rewards? Did it have any effect on the actual game world?)

How much of the world is a pvp zone?

What are the consequences for death?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Two thoughts

1) DAOC has Realm vs Realm conflict(with 3 factions).....not PVP 

2) the game has a free 14 day trial.Try it and answer your own question(free as in totally free....all content...no costs.Not a turbine or Funcom definition of "free")

Yes its just a shadow of what was a fantastic game.but of faction conflicts is "your thing".....your looking at the king of rvr...at least for a little while longer.

IMO........... hands down the best rvr (yes it has pve too) on the market

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Raevanhawk

What I enjoyed is no two classes were the same. Today everything is starting to slant towards mirror classes on the enemy side. In DAOC classes in Hibernia were not the same in Midgard or the same in Albion.

ya but they also had 3 times the balancing issues because of that. Don't get me wrong, it was cool but it was pretty bad for balancing since you not only had to balance for one class beating another, but one factions class beating another factions class etc etc.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Trol1

I think what makes the RvR in DAoC so good was simply the fact that it wasn't some soulless pvP as in other games.

Here you were part of a realm.

I assume you are saying "big deal" right now?

Yes, actually it was.

Classic DAoC you could only belong to one realm on one server, so simple realm swapping because today maybe there weren't enough Hibs on hand for a nice RvR fight so you just logged out of your Mid and in as a Hib wasn't possible.

Whichever realm you picked, that was your realm!

So, if your realm (say Hib) lost a battle, a relic, something out in RvR it was - indirectly - you who lost it.

Which game mechanic feedback this had on the world is not important - have a look at online, there are enough details - it was simply a matter of somebody having kicked your uncle, now you want revenge!

And here is now an important bit: vanila DAoC very much limited PvP to the battlegrounds, so a bit of fun fighting between some guys wasn't really possible.

Rather the whole thing suffered from something like a snowball effect: maybe a bunch of Hibs and Mids get together for a bit of caual pre-planned PvP.

"Sadly" it had to happen out in the battlegrounds and was therefore "sadly" likely to attract other gamers.

So, before long that cozy 5 on 5 could turn into a 20 on 20... with Albs not far behind, bang, there was your 60 men (and women) pile-up.

You just didn't go and say "hey, that's my realm mate getting a beating, I'll let him alone", you went in!

it's really hard to explain the whole synergy, but what you should understand is that you just didn't pick a realm at random.

you may do so in other games, where you say "hey, I'm a citizen of X, so what?" but in vanilla DAoC the races were close enough and yet different enough to still make selecting the right realm a real choice.

Afterall you wouldn't want to tipple around in gay elfland just because maybe their Ranger was just a bit more of the class you'd prefer over Mid's Hunter or Alb's Scout.

Don't know if this helps in any way... I guess it's one of those things where you just go "you must have been there to understand"...

Frankly, looking at today's community I no longer see this natural "bound" between gamer and game/gameworld... *shrug*

I think your onto it - its all about how you "bond" with your faction. Even vanilla wow pvp was fun because i was always yelling for the horde and had an unreasonable dislike of the alliance. When I think of the pvp games where I didnt make a bond with my faction like Rift or SWTOR I see clearly that it did lower the enjoyment of the fighting. It just felt like treadmill pvp in those games where you ground for gear and who you were didnt really matter.

Maybe this Is why i am "hesitantly expectant" of the open world pvp zone and battlemaps of The Secret World. I already despise the greedy illuminati scum and want to smash their faces in - and I havent even had the chance to do so yet. Add in the decks system of skills plus a strong wardrobe and I can feel like a unique fighter rather than a cloned carbon copy of other players. I also want to plunder the dragons geisha filled opium dens, but will have to see how that works out, I dont think the other templars will approve of my motives.

I guess that is why Im finding I agree strongly with your conclusion.

Its all just meaningless mechanics unless your form some kind of - dare I say - roleplaying connection to your character. Once you have that bond you are willing to skip a raid, travel across zones, or even hunt down enemies for hours - all just to plant a hammer in some lumies skull or lick a dragon girl for some fun enraged pvp.