Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was going to buy TSW today...

GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

So I went to Funcoms site and clicked "PRE-ORDER NOW" just to find out I have to pay in Euros. You see, I'm from Argentina so 44.99 EUR = 288 AR$ = 64 USD.

No way in hell I'll be paying that, with those extra 14 USD I could buy Dead Island on Steam (actually 11.99 USD). So I went to Origin and... well... I should have guessed that if EA is publishing TSW they would be using the same pricing scheme as Funcom.

I refuse to pay in Euros (Why should I??) so I decided it was time to try Amazon. I never bought anything there other than books. Price was ok and bonuses were included so I proceeded to checkout... sadly Argentina is no longer a supported country. I guess it sucks to live in Latin America these days image.

I could go ahead and buy Amazon download version, but I can't find the bonuses anywhere. Anyone pre-ordered the download version from Amazon? Do you guys know if the bonuses are inlcuded?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Buy in sterling its cheapest
  • ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

So I went to Funcoms site and clicked "PRE-ORDER NOW" just to find out I have to pay in Euros. You see, I'm from Argentina so 44.99 EUR = 288 AR$ = 64 USD.

No way in hell I'll be paying that, with those extra 14 USD I could buy Dead Island on Steam (actually 11.99 USD). So I went to Origin and... well... I should have guessed that if EA is publishing TSW they would be using the same pricing scheme as Funcom.

I refuse to pay in Euros (Why should I??) so I decided it was time to try Amazon. I never bought anything there other than books. Price was ok and bonuses were included so I proceeded to checkout... sadly Argentina is no longer a supported country. I guess it sucks to live in Latin America these days image.

I could go ahead and buy Amazon download version, but I can't find the bonuses anywhere. Anyone pre-ordered the download version from Amazon? Do you guys know if the bonuses are inlcuded?

Co-published. 

That sucks OP. You might want to ask on the official forums the community and often the devs well help you with this.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

yeah  its quite expensive ..i,m from the UK and it cost me £40 which is the same as what you said in euros..its not funcom's fault its in europe we have to pay something like 20% tax on top of normal price..it sux..so i do understand.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Disclaimer:  don't blame me if you get ripped off.

However, for more than one game (including SWTOR most recently) there are always people selling the game code on EBAY. More often than not they are just retailers that are trying to get rid of stock through backchannels.

You can usually buy just the code (emailed to you) for $50 and no taxes.  

I've bought multiple games this way without any issues.  I ended up paying $50 for TOR, when going to a regular store retail store here in canada would have cost me at least $60+$10 in taxes.  Buying from original was $60 iirc.  I've done this with a few other recent MMOs also.

Usual ebay precautions apply though - make sure you're buying from a seller with a good track record, etc.  Make sure you know what you're paying for.  Make sure you know that THIS version of the game WILL work from your country.  If you make an uninformed choice, it's your own fault.

Anyhow, that's what I do.   For TSW it wasn't an issue to me as buying it direct from FC was tax-free, so I just did that.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I'm in Venezuela (same continent on the other end) and I've had to get creative sometimes when it comes to getting online games.

Back when AoC was released they had no digital version, but they allowed you to download it for a 3 days headstart if you preordered, so I did that on amazon and had it shipped to a friend in the US (of course, would have to be someone you thrust), she sent me the code and later mailed me the game (actually took so long to get here I wasn't playing anymore by then). Amazon so far is the only online games (and computer stuff in general) retailer that lets you buy things with a non US credit card and still be shipped to the US, most don't allow non US credit cards at all, and the very few who do, don't accept the shipping address be different than the billing one.

Also when I buy something in amazon I use a courier service, they give you an address in the US to receive things and then send them to you for an extra fee (which is still faster and cheaper, at least for me, than actually having something shipped the regular way from US to Venezuela), no idea if there's something like that in Argentina.

Last thing I've done is to buy on http://www.gamersloot.net/, only found about the site because some friends had bought WoW from them. No exact idea how completely legal it is, but basically what they when you buy from them is to set up torrents of the game clients (or give you links to official download sites if there are any) and e-mail you a scan of the CD key for the product you just bought (they also do the same for game time cards), but TSW doesn't seem to be on their list.

EDIT: maybe take a look here: http://www.therpgstore.com/the-secret-world-c-101.html DISCLAIMER: not affiliated with them, never bought anything there, just remembered that I saw the site a long time ago when I was looking to buy time cards for WoW here in Venezuela and signed for their emails, and just remembered I had seen TSW there recently. Seems they only accept paypal from Argentina, though.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

I pre-orderd the download/digital version from Amazon, and I did get an e-mailed code which included the same bonuses as the physical copy. Not sure how or if this applies given your location, but thought I would throw that out there. You could try pre-ordering and see if you get the code. You can cancel your pre-order if you don't, after all.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Thank you very much for your helpful responses! It helps to have other options at hand image

Originally posted by Cypt1

I pre-orderd the download/digital version from Amazon, and I did get an e-mailed code which included the same bonuses as the physical copy. Not sure how or if this applies given your location, but thought I would throw that out there. You could try pre-ordering and see if you get the code. You can cancel your pre-order if you don't, after all.

Nice! I'll give it a try and then update how it went image

• lordwedgelylordwedgely Member Posts: 61

I had a similar experience when I tried to buy Age of Conan. I went the Amazon route to get around the VAT and upcharges. They lost me when I went to sub, they wanted to charge in Euros + VAT. Contacted CS, they said sorry that's the way it is you have to PROVE you're not in the eurozone. Oh well, no sub for you Dumbcom.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

(of course, would have to be someone you thrust), she 

Thrusting someone in the ole' USA from Venezula eh? Good on ya.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• JeffJ200JeffJ200 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by lordwedgely

I had a similar experience when I tried to buy Age of Conan. I went the Amazon route to get around the VAT and upcharges. They lost me when I went to sub, they wanted to charge in Euros + VAT. Contacted CS, they said sorry that's the way it is you have to PROVE you're not in the eurozone. Oh well, no sub for you Dumbcom.

So its Funcom's fault that your govt. puts a VAT on stuff?

Originally posted by JeffJ200

No dummy. If you had followed the topic of the thread (being charged VAT despite NOT being in the Eurozone) and fully comprehended what I wrote about having to PROVE YOU'RE NOT IN THE EUROZONE. You would realize that I absolutely do not live in the Eurozone.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

No dummy. If you had followed the topic of the thread (being charged VAT despite NOT being in the Eurozone) and fully comprehended what I wrote about having to PROVE YOU'RE NOT IN THE EUROZONE. You would realize that I absolutely do not live in the Eurozone.

Then why would you need to go through "Amazon route to get around the VAT and upcharges." ?

What you wrote makes it sound like you were supposed to pay VAT and tried circumventing that by ordering through Amazon.  Then was mad that they charged you VAT when you tried to sub because they can locate your IP and see that you are indeed required to pay a VAT.  At least that's how it came off to me based on what you wrote.

And you shouldn't call anyone a dummy.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Did you try Greenman Gaming? They currently offer a 20% pre-purchase disscount untl May 31.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/promo/summer-of-prepurchase/

• lefagrlefagr Member UncommonPosts: 6

Hello,

I am living in the Europe. There is a possibility to have a copy of the game from the US.

Do you know if it is possible to play with that copy (purchased in the US) in a european server?

Thanks.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by lefagr

Hello,

I am living in the Europe. There is a possibility to have a copy of the game from the US.

Do you know if it is possible to play with that copy (purchased in the US) in a european server?

Thanks.

I believe all the servers will be on the east cost of USA, just like they were in the open beta. Not sure though. ;)

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

From Latin America they did charge my sub in Euros for AoC, but no Vat was ever charged.

My particular country has USD as it's legal currency, which i pointed at to FC, dunno how that works now for AoC (was Euros all the way all the time i was subscribed to AoC) but the default currency for my country is USD for TSW.

In all honesty being an EU based (back then) company i did expect them to charge euros to all non USD as legal currency countries, but by now i'd say they should have USD as default for non Eurozone countries nor the UK.

On the EU/US servers and versions of the game: there are no plans at all to have different versions of the game, so you'll be good to go and play on any "server" they might come up with (they plan on having basically one single server-farm structure) with the same client.

Originally posted by jdnyc

Then why would you need to go through "Amazon route to get around the VAT and upcharges." ?

What you wrote makes it sound like you were supposed to pay VAT and tried circumventing that by ordering through Amazon.  Then was mad that they charged you VAT when you tried to sub because they can locate your IP and see that you are indeed required to pay a VAT.  At least that's how it came off to me based on what you wrote.

And you shouldn't call anyone a dummy.

Yet another dummy. No, what I wrote does not imply that I am circumventing a tax system. I used Amazon the "Amazon route to get around the VAT and upcharges." because I tried to order directly from Dumbcom and they wanted to assess VAT taxes. Again we are commiserating about being assessed VAT when not living in the eurozone. Dumbcom is inaccurately assessing taxes and the onus is on the customer to prove them wrong. The point is they need to straighten themselves out.