Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since SWTOR Is So Horrible, Do You Think There's a Chance for SWG's Resurrection?

Comments

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

NO

Ajax

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Ecnali
    I'm sorta hoping that SOE and Lucas.Arts could come to some sort of reconciliation and bring back SWG. I was so terribly disappointed with SWTOR. And I really miss the only MMO that had such a wonderful crafting system, housing system, and the way buffs were handled. and I know most of you lot are going to loathe this, but I loved SWG after the NGE and all the other modifications they were doing before they closed the curtain on it.

Unfortunaly not going to happen.

To be honost SWG is truly the only game that truly gave me a MMORPG experiance that I wanted from that experiance. All other MMO's that came after where just online combat games to me with little to no depth apart from their so called story.

Yes I know I am old school but also a gamer and if I want to play a game for it's story then I gladly play and enjoy singleplayer RPG's. If I want to be part of a gameworld then I thought I wanted a MMORPG. Unfortunaly I am by today's standards a minority as we all can see what the majority seems to want.

But even though I feel I am a minority I do believe that the one gamecompany that is able to create a true virtual world, where both combat and non-combat professions are equel as important aswell no cash shops, with the polish we expect from games these day's wil and can be a very succesfull game.

But the main problem remains and that's the new majority that have entered this genre cause they seem to have this mindset that each and everything in game should be obtained by them so if a game offers more then they can handle....then well we'll see another type of NGE to try and please them.

Don't get me wrong I am glad there are many MMO's these day's and I honostly hope they all do well. But I do believe there is still much room for more types of MMORPG's.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I'd rather vomit all over myself than play SWG again. SW:TOR is far more immerssive than SWG ever was, and you're fooling yourself out of disappointment if you think otherwise (don't really see how you can), with SW:TOR.

If SWTOR is so horrible, than SWG was complete crap...It was such an overrated game it's not even funny. Now, if we could implement some sandbox elements into SW:TOR, or make a game that took the best of SW:TOR, and  the best parts of a sandbox MMO put together then that would be a game worth trying...But until then I'm happy with SW:TOR and not a day goes by that I can honestly say I miss SWG...

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Valentina

SW:TOR is far more immerssive than SWG ever was, and you're fooling yourself out of disappointment if you think otherwise

If you think SWTOR has more depth and is a more immersive MMO that SWG, then I can understand why you didnt like SWG.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Valentina

I'd rather vomit all over myself than play SWG again. SW:TOR is far more immerssive than SWG ever was, and you're fooling yourself out of disappointment if you think otherwise (don't really see how you can), with SW:TOR.

If SWTOR is so horrible, than SWG was complete crap...It was such an overrated game it's not even funny. Now, if we could implement some sandbox elements into SW:TOR, or make a game that took the best of SW:TOR, and  the best parts of a sandbox MMO put together then that would be a game worth trying...But until then I'm happy with SW:TOR and not a day goes by that I can honestly say I miss SWG...

Not everyone is going to go play SWG, and each their own, as after playing through each class once I would rather vomit than play SWTOR again. SWTOR is good until you are level 50, but after that, there is nothing to keep you playing.

I played over 10,000 hours of SWG as you can see from my Xfire sig, and that was from Oct 2005. and with its game mechanics I saw no end to me playing it. It was more than just a game it was like actually living in the Star Wars Universe, making an impact on the world around you. When you log into SWTOR, do you see peoples progress and mark on the worlds? No. In SWTOR you are nothing, in SWG you were something

Imagine playing SWG (NGE) for over 10,000 hours? I loved it! I would have played it more if did not get shut down. I also spent over $10K over 8 years on it too.

The fact that SWTOR is not as addictive is probably a good thing, as if it was SWG 2 to spend all that time on it, and money, and then lose it all 8 years later, I do not want to go through that again. At least SWTOR is get in, play, enjoy it for a few months, and then quit

I hope SWG does return, with all my characters and stuf intact, as my adicction to buying Star Wars toys has started again now..image

• alancodealancode Member UncommonPosts: 163

If I was SOE, or even Lucas, I would seriously look at combining the two together, if you sub for SW:TOR you can play a precu version of SWG. Man the subs would go up then. 

(-_-)

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Reminder, discussing or linking to private or unofficial servers is not allowed.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

What we can only hope is that some development studio picks up a Star Wars liscense to do something set after RotJ that is independent of the books and comics that came after RotJ and do something more with it than Bioware did with SWTOR.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

*sigh* 

Rose Tinted Goggles FTW

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Ryukan

What we can only hope is that some development studio picks up a Star Wars liscense to do something set after RotJ that is independent of the books and comics that came after RotJ and do something more with it than Bioware did with SWTOR.

I doubt that. If there is another game it will just be another theme park game similar to SWTOR.

There is more chance that SWG will return than there being an actual decent SW MMO.

SWG was the best there ever will be for a SW MMO

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Shodanas

@OP: So, because you didn't like SW TOR it is a horrible game? The amount of self-righteousness displayes on these boards is just of the scale. 

And because you enjoy SWTOR it's a good game?  The knife cuts both ways.

All depends on one's perspective of course, and fans of SWG are pretty much going to condemn the design of SWTOR.

Doesn't make them right, really just comes down to gameplay preference.

Back to the OP's question, no, SWG isn't coming back, you will never see anything of it's like ever again unfortunately.

Learn to find the fun in the titles as they are today or plan on leaving the genre, because you'll never find what you desire in modern AAA MMO's.

This. It's possible that old design could make a comback.But I think it's as likely as Disco becoming hip again.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

The main problem is the license to use Star Wars.  I am sure Lucas Arts would only go forward not backwards.

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by colddog04

Nah, it was sloppy and people expect more now. It doesn't have to do with other developers, it has to do with player expectations in quality.

Some solid systems, but nothing amazing. Perhaps crafting is the only thing worth re-looking at. Although it was also extremely frustrating if you kept losing the die roll.

Expect more in what regards? In therms of graphics, UI etc maybe but saying that games like TERA, SW:TOR has more than SWG, gameplay-wise is absurd. SWG had a full fledged and complex economy, intricate crafting and vast areas to explore. These themeparks have tiny, linear zones and a dumbed down and simplistic crafting system and a barely functioning economy. They are basically Diablo type Hack and Slash games.

1. Horrific gameplay would be the nicest way to describe SWGs gameplay. 

2. I liked that they had open worlds, but they were empty.

3. UI was bad, like you admit.

4. Garphics were fine for the time, but nothing special. SWG Typical MMORPG at the time.

Crafting was good, like I said. Areas are big but uneventful. Gameplay is poor.

People expect more from their games today. SWTOR doesn't even cut it in terms of what it should offer and they spent 200 million on the thing.

Actually they spent 199mill on voice acting and 1 mill on burgers and loose women that is wht it's so bad .

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Shodanas

@OP: So, because you didn't like SW TOR it is a horrible game? The amount of self-righteousness displayes on these boards is just of the scale. 

And because you enjoy SWTOR it's a good game?  The knife cuts both ways.

All depends on one's perspective of course, and fans of SWG are pretty much going to condemn the design of SWTOR.

Doesn't make them right, really just comes down to gameplay preference.

Back to the OP's question, no, SWG isn't coming back, you will never see anything of it's like ever again unfortunately.

Learn to find the fun in the titles as they are today or plan on leaving the genre, because you'll never find what you desire in modern AAA MMO's.

This. It's possible that old design could make a comback.But I think it's as likely as Disco becoming hip again.

Not quite an accurate analogy, as Disco faded away for the next best thing. SWG was literally replaced over night by SWTOR and peoples free will to decide whether to play SWG or SWTOR was taken away by LA. If SWG stayed active, and SWTOR ran alongside SWG, and SWG faded away while people played SWTOR more, or SWTOR sustained the subs and grew instead of dropping, then your analogy would be accurate.

Not many things get axed and replaced straight away. CDs replaced vinyl and tape, but minidisc did not replace CD. None of it was taken away when something new came along, it was all mostly given a chance to co-exist first, then only faded away when the new thing became more popular than the old thing.

When GC and Xbox Phantasy Star Online was released, Dreamcast servers stayed up for a while, and when Phantasy Star Univers released on Xbox 360 and PC, GC and Xbox servers stayed active for a while. EQ1 is still running after EQ2 released. FF XI is still running despite FF XIV being released, and now is charging a monthly fee again. Guild Wars 1 is not shutting down with Guild Wars 2.

Basically SWG players were robbed of some more game time. It is never nice when a MMO closes, but SWG closing when it did was so unfair, and totally unexpected, a shock

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by aktalat
    [mod edit]

I was really saddened by the SWTOR beta, so many things in it weren't what I hoped for. That said if SWG comes back in a properly supported way I'd endorse it.

[mod edit]

Someone needs to make an SWG-like game but with a more current engine and graphics, it's what I keep looking for. image

The graphics engine wasn't too bad, but it did make people wearing the elder robe look like a Russian dancer in the distance.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow
    Originally posted by aktalat
    [mod edit]

I was really saddened by the SWTOR beta, so many things in it weren't what I hoped for. That said if SWG comes back in a properly supported way I'd endorse it.

[mod edit]

Someone needs to make an SWG-like game but with a more current engine and graphics, it's what I keep looking for. image

The graphics engine wasn't too bad, but it did make people wearing the elder robe look like a Russian dancer in the distance.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

I never thought the graphics for SWG was bad. To me they were a good representation of what  I saw in the movies. If people can still stomach WOW's cartoon, I'm sure they could stomach SWG's 2004 graphics. Then again I'm the guy that used to enjoy playing on an Atari 2600 so what do I know?  ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

It's such a pity swg was closed down for such a shitty game.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

SWG was a horrible, horrible game!

• DresbainDresbain Member UncommonPosts: 40

I don't think we'll every be lucky enough to have SWG back.... /sadpanda

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Istavaan

It's such a pity swg was closed down for such a shitty game.

SWG was closed down because it was an unprofitable mess and to SoE it wasnt worth renewing the IP license because it was basically on life support.

Even before the combat update it was losing subscriptions and would probably have been shut down once the IP came up for renewal.

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

Personally I believe a form of SWG be it 2 or under another name will arise at some point. Its a Money maker from any standpoint, Pukus knows this!.  saying no more :)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Since SWTOR Is So Horrible, Do You Think There's a Chance for SWG's Resurrection?

Yupp.. Sure... Right after Tabula Rasa and AutoAssault comes back.

This have been a good conversation

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Although I love and miss SWG in all it's forms... 

I don't think TOR is "horrible" either.   I am having fun with it. 

And like others have mentioned there are ways to get your fix in for an old addiction :)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I don't think its horrible, and no they will never bring it bck, not in a world of contracts and laws.  I do think that one day in 5 or 10 years, we'll get a new star wars game.