Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 hacks are not a Blizzard problem states Blizzard

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Yeah ok Blizzard. I like your games but your business practices are just poor as hell. It is so much easier to blame the next guy when Diablo 3 has a ton of issues right now.

Link: http://www.incgamers.com/News/31394/diablo-3-hacks-are-not-a-blizzard-problem-state-blizzard 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Because their games are popular they are supposed to give away authenticators at a loss?  If you get keylogged it's your own fault.  Sure it sucks, but no one says you have to surf all over the web and click links in emails on your gaming machine.  If you must, then get an authenticator.

If people found a way around the authenticator, other than thru a man in the middle app you downloaded by accident, then they will be responsible.

Oh yeah, not going to that site as I'm pretty sure they had issues with bad ads.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

i agree with them.  they cant control your computer and so cannot be held accountable for any issues that occur, especially when you can get the authenticator and solve the problem. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Mephster

Yeah ok Blizzard. I like your games but your business practices are just poor as hell. It is so much easier to blame the next guy when Diablo 3 has a ton of issues right now.

Link: http://www.incgamers.com/News/31394/diablo-3-hacks-are-not-a-blizzard-problem-state-blizzard 

Because the truth hurts?

It just got blown way out of proportion, because someone from a gaming site got his/her account hacked and created an article about it.

If Battle.net was trully comprimised, I.E. hackers were able to bypass ALL security, then the amount of people comprimised would have been staggering! Both Diablo and WoW forums would have been on fire and then even serious news sites would have picked up on this, like happened with the PSN / SOE breach last year.

This wouldn't be something Blizzard could just shrug off and wipe under the carpet! They would have been forced to take their entire network down until further notice! Just like Sony was forced to do with the PSN and SOE network last year.

So people need to get a grip. It sucks if you get hacked, but don't blow it out of proportion and make it bigger than it actually is.

PS. It also pretty much debunks yet ANOTHER craptastic Eurogamer article, which was full of lies. Pure sensationalism at it's best! lol.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I wouldn't blame Microsoft if they announced the Xboxes that have been stolen from people's homes weren't their responsibility to replace.

The customer must always bear at least a minimum of responsibility.  In all honesty the customer should do everything possible to be secure if he/she expects security.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

When it is online only it is Blizzard's responsibility to provide security for the users. I can't believe some would even argue that. Keylogging or not, it is their responsibility to keep it secure like they claimed they would. It is only going to get worse when the RMAH releases soon.

• LostcogLostcog Member Posts: 21

When it is online only it is Blizzard's responsibility to provide security for the users. I can't believe some would even argue that. Keylogging or not, it is their responsibility to keep it secre liek they claimed they would.

No one is making you play it.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

When it is online only it is Blizzard's responsibility to provide security for the users. I can't believe some would even argue that. Keylogging or not, it is their responsibility to keep it secure liek they claimed they would. It is only going to get worse when the RMAH releases soon.

Its Blizzard... they can do no wrong... if there systems melt down from lack of maintainence  it still wont be there fault..its yours for being 1 to many ppl for there servers to handle... oh thats right they cant handle the load already haha my bad.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

blizzard is absolutely right.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Lostcog

When it is online only it is Blizzard's responsibility to provide security for the users. I can't believe some would even argue that. Keylogging or not, it is their responsibility to keep it secre liek they claimed they would.

No one is making you play it.

Lame excuse, that isn't the point.

• JaylanonyousJaylanonyous Member Posts: 31

Even if it is not their problem they should still help, which I am sure they do and I feel thats all they are obligated to do. Other than that, getting keylogged and such is unpreventable and they can't be blamed for it. 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Because their games are popular they are supposed to give away authenticators at a loss?  If you get keylogged it's your own fault.  Sure it sucks, but no one says you have to surf all over the web and click links in emails on your gaming machine.  If you must, then get an authenticator.

If people found a way around the authenticator, other than thru a man in the middle app you downloaded by accident, then they will be responsible.

Oh yeah, not going to that site as I'm pretty sure they had issues with bad ads.

well a simple solution to this could be has simple as what Aion do..you hav to type in a 6 digit codebefore you get access to your characters..although i have an authenticator not everyone has money to burn..but i do think sometimes people are  there own worst enemies .

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by LordRelic
    Originally posted by dosengan

[mod edit]

Kudos to Blizz for providing free smart phone authenticators. I was very happy with BW when they did that for TOR, too. Hope ANet/GW2 will follow suit! Nowadays, this should be standard.

On the topic of "should be standard", having the server check your IP against the one you logged in from last time should also be standard. I don't know if D3 does that, though didn't sound like it does, I know TOR doesn't do it, and haven't heard about GW2.

If my bank - which is incapable of transferring my money automatically from my savings to my checking account without dinging me for $3 - can do this, any high-tech company should be able to do this, too.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I think it would've been a very good move to ship authenticator's with the game. With Diablo 3 being this popular it should be expected that it would become an important target for hackers. And I also agree with some others that Blizzard is for a very large part responsible for security of their online game, especially because of the RMT AH.

On the other hand, they could've shipped cowcrap with their box, call it demonpoo and it would've become a collector's item. There is almost no wrong thing to do for them atm with this incredibly popular ip :p

When it is online only it is Blizzard's responsibility to provide security for the users. I can't believe some would even argue that. Keylogging or not, it is their responsibility to keep it secure like they claimed they would. It is only going to get worse when the RMAH releases soon.

Are you daft? Do you actually read what you write yourself?

How is Blizzard suppose to protect you from Keyloggers? Or any virus / mallware you receive on YOUR PC when clicking suspicious links in emails or browse suspicious websites!

It is YOUR responsibility to keep your PC up to date with Anti Virus / Anti Malware software and scan regularly!

It is YOUR responsibility which links you click on the emails YOU receive!

It is YOUR responsibility as to which sites you browse to!

It is YOUR responsibility to have proper password management and use strong passwords!

Blizzard provides lots of advice for free on their support sites! So do many other helpfull players, who have been activily posting in these topics with advice how to protect yourself!

Blizzard also provides enchanced security via a physical authenticator (like many other MMO studios do right now) for a small payment or a software based authenticator for free!

Your choice to use it or not!

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

This is why we need tests before people are allowed to join discussions.  Some people in here clearly have no clue about client side keyloggers and about what a game company can do about them.  I would rather have stupid people get compromised than have blizzard all up in my business telling me I can't visit certain websites, or open certain e-mails.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

They investigated the cases of hacking and found that, first, it's a very small incident of cases were people are getting hacked, and second the people getting hacked are doing so through traditional methods IE: account and passwords being used.

Then they investigate that possibility of session spoofing and find that it's technically impossible for anyone to do, and that it hasn't happened.

They even verify that Bnet security was never breached, and that no one with an authenticator has had their accounts hacked.

So you immediatly jump on these forums and start a thread accusing Blizzard of what?  Lying? 

The only lie I can find exist within your post title. 

I understand though that slandering blizzard at every chance you get is the cool thing to do.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by gaugemew

This is why we need tests before people are allowed to join discussions.  Some people in here clearly have no clue about client side keyloggers and about what a game company can do about them.  I would rather have stupid people get compromised than have blizzard all up in my business telling me I can't visit certain websites, or open certain e-mails.

Interesting example. Shipping authenticators with the box would add an extra layer of security against keyloggers.

Anyone who claims to know how secure his own pc is (provided you use Windows and surf the net),  is naieve. You can pick up a drive by infection quite easily if you are unlucky. Even from trustworthy websites if the wrong ad shows up. A virusscanner isn't 100%, especially not with new threats.

The problem with having to buy an authenticator afterwards has to do with possible shipping costs. If you as company are really concerned about your customer's account security, you should try better. This is why I think it would be better if they were shipped with the box.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Are you daft? Do you actually read what you write yourself?

How is Blizzard suppose to protect you from Keyloggers? Or any virus / mallware you receive on YOUR PC when clicking suspicious links in emails or browse suspicious websites!

It is YOUR responsibility to keep your PC up to date with Anti Virus / Anti Malware software and scan regularly!

It is YOUR responsibility which links you click on the emails YOU receive!

It is YOUR responsibility as to which sites you browse to!

It is YOUR responsibility to have proper password management and use strong passwords!

Blizzard provides lots of advice for free on their support sites! So do many other helpfull players, who have been activily posting in these topics with advice how to protect yourself!

Blizzard also provides enchanced security via a physical authenticator (like many other MMO studios do right now) for a small payment or a software based authenticator for free!

Your choice to use it or not!

Does Blizzard offer simple things like account locks when accessed from different IP's/devices?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by someforumguy

Interesting example. Shipping authenticators with the box would add an extra layer of security against keyloggers.

Anyone who claims to know how secure his own pc is (provided you use Windows and surf the net),  is naieve. You can pick up a drive by infection quite easily if you are unlucky. Even from trustworthy websites if the wrong ad shows up. A virusscanner isn't 100%, especially not with new threats.

The problem with having to buy an authenticator afterwards has to do with possible shipping costs. If you as company are really concerned about your customer's account security, you should try better. This is why I think it would be better if they were shipped with the box.

You can just buy the authenticator in any local game store. It's what I did for me and my gf.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

lol hacked accounts always make me laugh. I play EVERY game that comes along, and sometimes have as many as 5 accounts at any given time,. and I have NEVER had an account hacked.  And I have NEVER used an authenticator or any other security measure.

In fact I hardly ever even enable virus protection on my computers unless something makes me super suspicious. 

Why don't I get hacked?  Why don't I get viruses?

Because I use my head, I don't go to sites or blogs that don't feel right, I don't open email attachments, I don't download game addons.

I don't go to gold buying, or power leveling websites, and omg I NEVER share my accounts with anyone else.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by someforumguy

They cost $5 if you don't have a smart phone, and I believe you can even use your home phone if you want.   They aren't free to produce, and at no point was blizzard ever even required to make one in the first place.  In fact, if they never did make one you people wouldn't even be saying they should be required to give them away, let alone have anything outside of blatantly accusing blizzard of lying about security issues.

If you can afford to buy the game, you shouldn't have any trouble affording another $5 for an authenticator.

Not to mention that most of the time you're not getting your Bnet account hacked by a keylogger.  It's people getting emails and passwords from other sites.  To many people still don't understand that the easiest way to prevent your accounts from getting hacked is to not use the same email/ password combo for every website you register on.

I learned my lesson after curse got hacked and email and passwords of registered users stolen.  Shortly after my WoW account was hacked.  Today I use multiple emails and everything has a unique password of random letters, number, and symbols. 

I even had blizz remove the frigging authenticator from my account because I got sick of having to load the damn thing up and rush to type the code in before it changed on me.  I'm lazy, and I found it inconvenient, but since I learned what not to do to protect my crap I haven't had any issues.

If it's your fault it's your fault.  It's ironic that the OP would blame Blizz of placing the blame elsewhere when all I see is a bunch of people who don't grasp the simple concept of responcibility.   It's your PC, learn to protect it and quit placing the blame elsewhere.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

whoa, wait a minute.

If their servers are compromised because the perpetrators are hacking blizzard then "yes" it's their fault.

But if a player loses their password or has their account hacked because their own system is compromised then there is nothing Blizzard can do. I don't necessarily see the need for Blizzard to foot the bill for an authenticator. Especially since, if people are careful, there is never a need for such things.

If you had bank info and investor info on your computer you wouldn't be going to all sorts of unknown websites and downloading who knows what. Treat your game accounts in a similar way.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Never been hacked. And with the amount of stories from people about howbad security is, why not get an authenticator? Should you have to? Perhaps not ... but the thing is 7 bucks ... I picked one up as soon as it was available ...still havent been hacked. If you plan on or do play very popular Blizzard games that hackers target ... just pick one up FFS. Hell any current popular game that offers one for that matter ......

• Fessor111Fessor111 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Can't you use your mobile phone as authenticator anymore?

Zoos the Slacker

Originally posted by Fessor111

Can't you use your mobile phone as authenticator anymore?

Yes you can.