Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Best selling MMORPG of 2011/2012?

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by keenber

Gotta love you guys comparing GW box sales and saying iy had over 6 million fans. A few years ago GW was on the counter of every software shop for 1 buck and guess what i bought it loaded it up and said what a load of rubbish and uninstaled it. I wonder how many of them 6 million did the same thing.

Oh and i didnt buy D3 or GW2 just so you can add my name to the none buyers lol

Your comment has nothing to do with the OPs topic.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

Long time since I posted imho GW2 has a good chance of making top box sales. A few factors play into this one of them being the lack of sub as it attracts those who are unwilling to sub ( there are many look at the up tick of the ftp model or modifiend versions like DCUO) the other thing is the NC Soft while havig slumped they do give A Net a more open door in asian markets and could help boost box sales (nice article http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/6422/The-Free-Zone-Musing-on-NCsofts-Future.html) All that being said I thnk GW2 might have a chance.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Thralia

nothing this year will come even close to D3  Sales.

i cant name1 person i know who didnt buy D3.

i can only name 1 person who did preorder  GW2 and kept it. (me and 2 other cancelled)

i bought D3 and im super happy with it currently being DH 53 in hell and i think GW2 will sell good but the chatastrophic beta weekend did nothing good for GW2 sales.

d3 may not be a MASSIVE mrpg but its a mrpg

1) nothing this year will come close to the number of Big Mac's sold in NA .....but they still make me run to the toilet 15 minutes after eating one

2) I can't name one person I know who bought D3

3) I can name 15 people who pre-bought GW2 and they are all happy and considered the BW almost worth the cost

4) Agreed chatastrophic .....I now can't play any other game for more then 10 minutes without thinking it's a piece of shit ...including in that list Rift AOC LOTR SWTOR and TERA

5) Wrong again it's MASSIVE alright ....a MASSIVE piece of crap that's proof that Brand name means more then quality

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

To those in these forums who are on the Anti-GW2 Bandwagon. I have one thing to say. (well to those who aren't current fans of SWTOR and WOW) You really want this game to succeed. I mean you really, really want this game to sell millions of boxes. Why? Here's why. Right now, every AAA game that has come out since the early 2000s has used pretty much the same model. Most had varying degrees of success also mostly questionalbel since most are now either rotting to hell or are F2P. What we have learned now is that cloning a successful game does not reproduce the success of that game. What we need now is an example of a game that breaks the clone mold and succeeds beyond where all the clones failed. Sure, I'd expect the next wave of clones to emulate the new success, but even if a few developers realize clones fail and try something original, it's new life for a dying genre. 

I feel kinda like Dark Pony about it. I see things I like and I see things I don't. I may or may not buy it. I may or may not play it. I probably will since I am a sucker for altoholism. Regardless, I want this game to sell millions and be the top selling MMO for 2012.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

To those in these forums who are on the Anti-GW2 Bandwagon. I have one thing to say. (well to those who aren't current fans of SWTOR and WOW) You really want this game to succeed. I mean you really, really want this game to sell millions of boxes. Why? Here's why. Right now, every AAA game that has come out since the early 2000s has used pretty much the same model. Most had varying degrees of success also mostly questionalbel since most are now either rotting to hell or are F2P. What we have learned now is that cloning a successful game does not reproduce the success of that game. What we need now is an example of a game that breaks the clone mold and succeeds beyond where all the clones failed. Sure, I'd expect the next wave of clones to emulate the new success, but even if a few developers realize clones fail and try something original, it's new life for a dying genre. 

I feel kinda like Dark Pony about it. I see things I like and I see things I don't. I or may not may buy it. I may or may not play it. Regardless, I want this game to sell millions and be the top selling MMO for 2012.

Good post and it makes sense! ;)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

I feel kinda like Dark Pony about it. I see things I like and I see things I don't. I or may not may buy it. I may or may not play it. Regardless, I want this game to sell millions and be the top selling MMO for 2012.

I think you hit the nail right on the head .....I'd be happy to even throw in 2013 and 2014 . I think the real shift started around 2006 though when the original WOW players realized something wasn't right and the genre was starting to rot from the core out. If GW2 doesn't out sell the crap we have been playing and paying for it will be sad days ahead for all MMO's

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I feel kinda like Dark Pony about it. I see things I like and I see things I don't. I may or may not buy it. I may or may not play it. I probably will since I am a sucker for altoholism. Regardless, I want this game to sell millions and be the top selling MMO for 2012.

It's really strange to read sensible, logical things in a forum.

A chill runs down my spine.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

It's really strange to read sensible, logical things in a forum.

A chill runs down my spine.

while I agree 100% this is basically the same thing said in every single new AAA MMO's forum since probably about 2008ish

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Good post and it makes sense! ;)

The worst thing for MMOs right now would be a successful WoW clone. That would spell disaster. Oh god, I could see it now. Some developer gets the idea that a Sci Fi MMO would be great...and we can use big huge unwieldy pieces of armor and shoulder pads that look like parts from broken fusion reactores and have little suns floating over the shoulders with their own satelites orbiting around them. 

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

while I agree 100% this is basically the same thing said in every single new AAA MMO's forum since probably about 2008ish

You are amazing too, Aerowyn, don't be sad =)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

You are amazing too, Aerowyn, don't be sad =)

lol I'm only sad because i really can't understand by now developers just don't get copying the basic themepark model and trying to beat wow at their own game only leads to failure... but here we are year after year after year... so yea makes me sad.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

I agree with everything Geezer said, but my faith that the community is able to make the right choices when it comes to what is best for the genre, or to even think of the big picture and the future, is pretty low. There are games out there that should have died before ever releasing and they didn't, and there are ones that should have gotten a fair shake but never had the chance. Only a small percentage are willing to think beyond wanting a new toy, or even consider that a purchase is not just an acknowledgement that you want that game, but a rallying cry to all game designers that there are marketable features there that their future products should replicate and cash in on.

If good designs sell, this can be a great boon to players because those good features propagate to future titles. But if a bad design sells, dark days ahead. If only a majority had the wisdom to know the difference, and act accordingly.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I'm planning on giving GW2 for birthdays, christmas, bar mitzvahs, baby showers and in place of flowers for funerals... so it'll sell well, real well.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

I'm planning on giving GW2 for birthdays, christmas, bar mitzvahs, baby showers and in place of flowers for funerals... so it'll sell well, real well.

Also wedding gift -  dont forget!!  The best way to make a first impression on your new married life is with an MMO.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

6.3 million lemmings.  And this thread was started by a GW2 fan wanting to compare sales for the two games.  Looks like he picked the wrong game to compare box sales to.

*stares blankly*

I... I'm pretty sure you didn't read the opening post then.  OR read the title.

I never, ever brought up D3.  It's not an MMORPG.

I compared GW2 to other MMORPGs.

Technically, i wouldn't even count MoP, since it's really an expansion, not an MMORPG.  If you buy MoP on your own, you're pretty much shit out of luck so far as playing a game goes, you get to admire the pretty panda artwork.

If I thought of it as an MMORPG (Rather than an MMORPG expansion), I probably would have added something to the opening post like 'excluding MoP, since WoW has a ton of momentum going for it, and can crush most any other MMORPG with expansions through sheer inertia'

... but hey!  I guess this doesn't matter to you, since obviously you didn't bother to read the first post, so why start reading what I wrote now? :D

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Soooooo.... way back.  In the day.  Before SWTOR came out... I suggested that while SWTOR will probably be the new MMORPG with the most subscriptions, I thought that GW2 had a good chance of beating it in total box sales.

Some people seemed to think that was a wholly unreasonable proposition to make, since SWTOR was Bioware + Star Wars and hence unbeatable.

Now that SWTOR's launch has come and gone, and we have a general idea of how many boxes they've sold (More than 2 million, less than 3 million), how reasonable do you think it is that GW2 will be able to beat that?

Is there any other MMORPG that came out last year or is coming out this year that will have even higher box sales?  Tera?  TSW?  RIFT?

Alternatively, what sort of things do you think GW2 has to do by release to assure that it actually DOES sell a lot of copies?  Especially taking into account what we know so far by the Beta Weekend Event.

GW1 sold 6.5 million copies, not including expansion packs, and was (October, 2010, two years after release) the #2 played western MMO.   What finally shot it down was the lack of continuing updates when they decided to cancel the next planed GW1 expansion and go with GW2.

I liked GW1.  I played it, on and off, for a long time.   This game, as little as I've experienced it, is far better.    I don't see how it won't be a very serious player in the market for a long time.   And I see no real reason to believe it won't do as at least as well as GW1.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by Meowhead Now that SWTOR's launch has come and gone, and we have a general idea of how many boxes they've sold (More than 2 million, less than 3 million), how reasonable do you think it is that GW2 will be able to beat that? Is there any other MMORPG that came out last year or is coming out this year that will have even higher box sales?  Tera?  TSW?  RIFT?
    Alternatively, what sort of things do you think GW2 has to do by release to assure that it actually DOES sell a lot of copies?  Especially taking into account what we know so far by the Beta Weekend Event.

Considering that the majority of people I've talked to or read impressions from were very positive about their BWE experience, and added to that it's B2P, I think that it will do extremely well in box sales. I suck at number guessing but if the majority remains enthusiastic after launch the sales numbers will grow rapidly and I think might pass the SW:TOR numbers.

As for what they have to do to assure that, just stay themselves, remain as passionate and dedicated to their game as they are and do what they're good at :) Word of mouth will do the job (of assuring sales) for them.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Puremallace

Rift has sold close to 2 million boxes to be honest. It is not hard when they price the game at $5. Pay to play games are about the sub fee. Buy to play games are about th box sales and cash shop.

It is pretty damn easy to estimate to be honest considering Guild Wars sold close to 7 million. Take a game that is hyped up to be UO 2.0, DAoC 2.0 + free to play after you buy the box and my guess would be 2-3million sold easily.

The original Guild Wars did not sell close to 7 millions. That number counts the major "content packs"  individually. You are welcome to though to show me how many bought Guild Wars Prophecies (the original). 

Edit:

Buying the "content packs" is analogous to buying expansion packs and paying subscription. It measures how much players they have retained.

Last I checked the 'to-date' figures It sold 6.5 million base units.   I don't include expansions because many of them became bundled with the base-game, so I just count the base-only in those cases.   

I will certainly say that purchases have been pretty slow since 2009.   They've only sold 500K combo packs since then.   And those are fairly heavily discounted, down to $20 for all last time I saw one.

Still, pretending it didn't sell a lot of units...   Ok.  Sure.  Whatever makes you happy...

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"Is there any other MMORPG that came out last year or is coming out this year that will have even higher box sales?" 

box sales arent what you should look at to determin if a mmo is good.active subscribers is what you should look at(and yes,i know guild wars 2 doesnt have a sub fee)

and anyone who thinks that swtor has the amount they say is kidding themselves.anyone whos smart knows what they did,there fluffing there numbers by the 6 month subs and the free weekends every weekend.i wonder how many actually logging in everyday playing people the game has.cuz i bet its no where near the amount they say they have

not that i care anyway,swtor is basically a single player game until lvl 50 

Originally posted by dontadow
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

GW2 will trump SWTOR in box sales, Diablo 3 is not an MMO but will easily trump GW2 and already has.

That's about all there is to say in here, rolling out.

lol, love that you had to tell the OP to read his own comment. 

At first I said this 

I still think that the IP an marketing of EA is going to make SWTOR the winner of box sales (or who has already).  I think their at 3 or 4 miillion, whether they have that many subscribers, that's going to be doubtful.  

Thinking about the recent layoffs and EA's placement of SWTOR in their strategy, i don't think they will have the total average players on lock for long.

There are going to be a half dozen games that are going to outsell guild wars this year.  I can't see any MMOs on the horizon that is going to have the power behind it.   I even think that SWTOR  and TSW are going to encourage many studios to use their extra funding to make sure the game is as polished as Rift upon release . I think some games go off the case that they will eventually make it up and underestimated what people are willing to accept.  

2.32 million units sold.  2.4 million units shipped.    Sales have declined every week wihtout a break and they're down to 10Kish/week, or about 40K a month.   Those numbers are going to drop again because, honestly, they've pretty much picked all the fruit off that tree...

I suspect, in a few months they'll have 'WoW like sales" of just a few thousand per month.   I don't see, at this point, their breaking 3 million in sales.  Never mind hitting 4 million.     Not when they just laid off 200 employees and all the servers, but 10, are dead...

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

How much is Diablo 3 already? 6 million? 

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Homitu

For the first time in a very long time, I actually expect GW2 to grow post-release as word of mouth gets out about just how good the game is.  Few MMOs have managed that over the past decade as most fight merely to retain current subcribers.  

This, of course, doesn't mean the naysayers will go away :p

It's very rare for general video games even to grow much after release, not to meantion mmo's. It's not that it's not possible, but mostly it's the people who are really into the game. The word of mouth thing only works, IMO, if the game is really unkown. GW2 is already well known in the mmorpg community and alot in pc community, but i just don't see it growing into the overall market, like console players and all around people like casual players.

That's not true.   Good MMOs do grow for months, if not years.   All of these grew for at least 9 months before slowing down then contracting while others grew for years.:

WoW.  GW1.  EQ2.  DAOC.   LOTRO.   Eve.   Ultima Online.   Liineage.  Lineage II.  Runescape.   Dofus.  FFXI.  Even Aion grew until the grind wore too many people out. 

Bad MMOs do contract, and they do it right out of the gate:

AoC.   STO.  APB.   DDO.   Warhammer.   SWTOR.   Rift.  PotBS.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Homitu

For the first time in a very long time, I actually expect GW2 to grow post-release as word of mouth gets out about just how good the game is.  Few MMOs have managed that over the past decade as most fight merely to retain current subcribers.  

This, of course, doesn't mean the naysayers will go away :p

It's very rare for general video games even to grow much after release, not to meantion mmo's. It's not that it's not possible, but mostly it's the people who are really into the game. The word of mouth thing only works, IMO, if the game is really unkown. GW2 is already well known in the mmorpg community and alot in pc community, but i just don't see it growing into the overall market, like console players and all around people like casual players.

That's not true.   Good MMOs do grow for months, if not years.   All of these grew for at least 9 months before slowing down then contracting while others grew for years.:

WoW.  GW1.  EQ2.  DAOC.   LOTRO.   Eve.   Ultima Online.   Liineage.  Lineage II.  Runescape.   Dofus.  FFXI.  Even Aion grew until the grind wore too many people out. 

Bad MMOs do contract, and they do it right out of the gate:

AoC.   STO.  APB.   DDO.   Warhammer.   SWTOR.   Rift.  PotBS.

Rift hasn't contracted and is not a bad MMO - it is 1 yr older than TOR which is contracting after3-4 months.

Originally posted by Kalfer

Don't know from the charts.   Week ending May 19th hasn't been tallied and posted.   Won't know until Monday.

But this article says 6.5 million:

Blizzard have announced that Diablo 3 has sold over 6.5 million copies in its first week alone, with 4.7 million of those sales coming on the FIRST DAY. And you wonder why you had an Error 37.

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/8303/diablo-3-breaks-pc-sales-records-in-first-week-first-patch-released-too.html

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Kalfer

No offense, but there are better topics / subforums to ask this because it's completely irrelvant to the topic since D3 isn't an mmo, not even remotely simmilar to it.