Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Rift: Conquest - Open World, Three Faction PvP

1356

Comments

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon

    It sounds nice but any inmersion aspect of it is completely broken. They streched the story way to thin to accomodate for this.

    image


    image

  • EcocesEcoces Chicago, ILPosts: 879Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Ecoces

     you guys just seem real desperate because GW2 is coming out soon.

     

    Not really. I think Trion got alot of money from Rift and now moving along with Defiance. Seems all good to me. I think it's the GW2 fanboys who are getting desperate to try and put down every game that's not theirs.

    BTW, you may not know, but gw2 wasn't the first mmorpg ever.

    hey im just pissed because I use to play Rift, was a closed beta tester and active on their forums and all that time we heard that the game would have tons of PVP content. myself and many others were begging and pleading Trion to use the RVR concept ... which of course was shouted down by the PVE fanboys.

     

    only to have this come out a few months before GW2 which uses a very similar concept in a desperate attempt to save subscriptions.

  • EcocesEcoces Chicago, ILPosts: 879Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kuppa

    It sounds nice but any inmersion aspect of it is completely broken. They streched the story way to thin to accomodate for this.

    breaking news ... not too many people actually care about lore in MMOs.

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    Originally posted by Kuppa

    It sounds nice but any inmersion aspect of it is completely broken. They streched the story way to thin to accomodate for this.

    breaking news ... not too many people actually care about lore in MMOs.

    I agree, I wasn't thinking its too much of an issue. Still its funny to see the video and the devs trying to explain it, I can just image ppl who actually care about lore cringe.

    image


    image

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

    It sounds like a GW2 ripoff, or more preceisely a DAoC ripoff. Not that this is a bad thing, but they should have designed the game with 3 factions from the start. Or planned the 3 server conflicts from the start, like GW2.

     

    It looks like an attempt to keep hold of players they know are planning on leaving as soon as GW2 releases by trying to provide them with a similar W v W v W setup in Rift. Can't blame them for trying.

     

    So let me see Rift "ripped" this off from GW2 a game that hasnt shipped yet, but they also ripped this off from DAOC but GW2 didnt rip this off from DAOC?  Okay got it.

    Or did you mean to say GW2 and Rift ripped this off from DAOC but since Rift has been out for a couple of years then they have ripped it off less that GW2 will have when it finally ships.

    Or do you just have a problem with Rift since its not the game your currenly playing and feel the need to trash it?  Probably this.

    Your post reaks of some sort of bizzare jealousy, love hate thing.  Maybe Rift (and every other game you dont play aneymore) to you is like some ex girl friend hangup,  The post was very strange but its pretty clear who your new love is, you know that game that ripped off both Rifts dynamic events and DAOC''s three faction server verse server system, and a class system very very simlar to Fallen Earth,  Oh, but in this case its "okay" because thats the game "you" want to play.

     

    Lets speak blunty. GW2 already claimed that DAOC was its inspiration, this isnt shocking or new. Rift saw the excitement surrounding GW2 PvP and directly copied the new model - separate instance with 3 factions unrelated to the PvE game .... sounds familiar no?

    There is a difference between 'getting inspiration' and a blatant copy. This is the latter, and it reeks of desperation. Although if handled well it would be a good addition to the game, regardless of its origins.

  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Renton, WAPosts: 819Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TomBaker_fan

    LMAO you people amaze me.  I love the "desperate" comment about how Trion is scared on GW2. Just too darn funny.

    3 faction PVP has been around since DAOC, and so what if they want to try it? It obviously works. I call it a good business decision where the jealous few call it a rip off. 

    No, paying 150.00 for the SWTOR CE, that was a ripoff.

    Devs are adding a new feature, *gasp* it must me an mmothreadtroll conspiracy. 

    This game is going strong, and gets better every patch. Nothing since the early days of UO has kept me  and many people I know, so interested.

    Yeah, that's why I was just visting the official RIFT forums and saw numerous posts under "Suggestions" on how the game might attract new players in response to declining server populations.

     

    TRION seems like a great company, but their direction seems misguided.  I don't get a strong sense of focus or direction in the decisions they make or the content they implement.  The core features; the solid programming, the soul system, the art direction, and the dimensional rifts are probably the strongest things they have going for them, everything else seems half-assed, with the exception of their later raid content, but let's face it, Greenscale seemed half-assed as well.  One large cavern with an ever-changing hedge maze?  Really?  River of Souls wasn't anything to really flip over either.  Hammerknell was the first really impressive raid instance for RIFT, but prior to that it seemed somewhat... well, half-assed.

     

    This ridiculous "totally pulled this idea out of my ass" three-faction PvP idea seems like one of those half-assed schemes, and it definitely was the last place I expected to see TRION go with RIFT, at least in its current incarnation.

  • gellandgelland TurkuPosts: 3Member Uncommon

    Only question is that are there any PvP players left in RIFT? Usually people complain about imbalanced souls and gear difference when PVPing and others rebut this by saying that RIFT is mainly PVE game. I guess it's true, because there aren't that many healthy PvP servers (population wise) left in this game.

  • ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member

    I suppose when you create a bland, un-interesting, un-inspiring, un-original and generic backstory for an MMO you can get away with plagarism and copying other companies original ideas.

     

    Whats next for Trion and Rift?  Voice-overs and Action Combat?  I applaud Rift for all their content they added but its not hard to add content to a game in which it takes 3 minutes to walk across the width of the game world.

    Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

    Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

    image

  • MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

    It is a copycat league, not suprised at all.

    Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

    http://www.grimdawn.com/

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

    It sounds like a GW2 ripoff, or more preceisely a DAoC ripoff. Not that this is a bad thing, but they should have designed the game with 3 factions from the start. Or planned the 3 server conflicts from the start, like GW2.

     

    It looks like an attempt to keep hold of players they know are planning on leaving as soon as GW2 releases by trying to provide them with a similar W v W v W setup in Rift. Can't blame them for trying.

     

    So let me see Rift "ripped" this off from GW2 a game that hasnt shipped yet, but they also ripped this off from DAOC but GW2 didnt rip this off from DAOC?  Okay got it.

    Or did you mean to say GW2 and Rift ripped this off from DAOC but since Rift has been out for a couple of years then they have ripped it off less that GW2 will have when it finally ships.

    Or do you just have a problem with Rift since its not the game your currenly playing and feel the need to trash it?  Probably this.

    Your post reaks of some sort of bizzare jealousy, love hate thing.  Maybe Rift (and every other game you dont play aneymore) to you is like some ex girl friend hangup,  The post was very strange but its pretty clear who your new love is, you know that game that ripped off both Rifts dynamic events and DAOC''s three faction server verse server system, and a class system very very simlar to Fallen Earth,  Oh, but in this case its "okay" because thats the game "you" want to play.

     

    Lets speak blunty. GW2 already claimed that DAOC was its inspiration, this isnt shocking or new. Rift saw the excitement surrounding GW2 PvP and directly copied the new model - separate instance with 3 factions unrelated to the PvE game .... sounds familiar no?

    There is a difference between 'getting inspiration' and a blatant copy. This is the latter, and it reeks of desperation. Although if handled well it would be a good addition to the game, regardless of its origins.

    I don't know if you can say that is what happened. I doubt Trion has been working on this for a very short period of time. I don't remember exactly when the details of GW2's WvW came out but it wasn't that long ago, for them to take the details and copy them in this short amount of time is pretty unlikely/remarkable.

    image


    image

  • ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    Originally posted by Kuppa

    It sounds nice but any inmersion aspect of it is completely broken. They streched the story way to thin to accomodate for this.

    breaking news ... not too many people actually care about lore in MMOs.

     

    Originally 1.7 and now 1.2 million gamers are playing a shitty game called SWTOR with outstanding lore and what was Rifts top population less then 500k?  even though it was much better game wise.  I seriously doubt how anyone can say things like people dont care about lore.  Maybe you dont, but the averageMMO gamer cares greatly for lore.  Remember Red Sweater guy at Blizzcon a few years ago and that whole snafu?  you are sorely mistaken if you think Lore doesnt matter.

     

    Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

    Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

    image

  • IAmMMOIAmMMO LondonPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon

    Splitting the community per server with different facets has shown not to be a bonus in the long run, UO showed that. They should just launch a PVP servers instead of mixing PVE and PVP on the same server. It also creates a PVPers against the PVE crowd mentality within server communities that lash out at each other over the smallest things.

  • AldersAlders Jack Burton'sPosts: 1,857Member Uncommon

    If it were not for GW2, i'd be all over this with my r40 rogue.

    I applaud Trion for instituting something we asked for in beta as a long shot.

  • RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Vancouver, BCPosts: 174Member

    Trion is a good company, but all it tells me about them is that they only care about PVP when they absolutely have to and are pushed against the wall. GW2 is thinking about my playstlye right off the bat and have been for 4 years or more. Thats who gets my money now.

  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon

    Evidently some people don't know how to read...or just /ragepost without reading the article lol.  This was always a plan to implement into the game.  The fact that in the world of telara and I guess you can say, "thier"universe, the rifts cause tears in that plane of existance, which you can step through to alternate realities.  This was ALWAYS planned and is part of the lore...I mean after ~10-30 minutes of playing you help open up a tear and travel back in time....

     

    I'm happy to see this, my only wish is that it was more like DAoC, where the battle never ended.  I guess 40% control in 3 faction and 5000 deaths will take quite awhile.  It'd be renewed like everyday.  I just wish it was static like DAoC where you captured things and it never ended :)

     

    Edit: I miss logging in and looking at the RvR map and say to myself "Those tree huggin hibbies took back thier keeps! /ragekeepcap!"

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gravarg

    Evidently some people don't know how to read...or just /ragepost without reading the article lol.  This was always a plan to implement into the game.  The fact that in the world of telara and I guess you can say, "thier"universe, the rifts cause tears in that plane of existance, which you can step through to alternate realities.  This was ALWAYS planned and is part of the lore...I mean after ~10-30 minutes of playing you help open up a tear and travel back in time....

     

    I'm happy to see this, my only wish is that it was more like DAoC, where the battle never ended.  I guess 40% control in 3 faction and 5000 deaths will take quite awhile.  It'd be renewed like everyday.  I just wish it was static like DAoC where you captured things and it never ended :)

    I know their lore "kind of" allows for stuff like this. But its a bit ridiculous when it gets streched to thin, would you also be ok if one of the tears took you to another reality that's in the wild west?

    image


    image

  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Richmond Hill, ONPosts: 533Member

    Rift was marketted as a pve game with a side of pvp. GuildWars is a pvp game with a side of pve. GW2 seems to be more pve than pvp by what I have read so far but I would like to think its more of a pvp game.

    Stop playing pve games thinking you are going to get the pvp you want.

  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon

    That's what's so neat about it though, really they could do anything and make it fit into the lore.  Heck they could make it so you go through a tear and end up in "End of Nations" lol

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

    Rift was marketted as a pve game with a side of pvp. GuildWars is a pvp game with a side of pve. GW2 seems to be more pve than pvp by what I have read so far but I would like to think its more of a pvp game.

    Stop playing pve games thinking you are going to get the pvp you want.

    GW2 is still more of a pvp game than pve. Even though they made changes to the way pve works the core mechanics are built for pvp and endgame will most likely be pvp.

    image


    image

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gravarg

    That's what's so neat about it though, really they could do anything and make it fit into the lore.  Heck they could make it so you go through a tear and end up in "End of Nations" lol

    lol, I don't think haviing a lore that allows for anything is good lore. It breaks any inmersion and becomes more of circus show.

    image


    image

  • UhwopUhwop Wilm, DEPosts: 1,663Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Puremallace
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

    It sounds like a GW2 ripoff, or more preceisely a DAoC ripoff. Not that this is a bad thing, but they should have designed the game with 3 factions from the start. Or planned the 3 server conflicts from the start, like GW2.

     

    It looks like an attempt to keep hold of players they know are planning on leaving as soon as GW2 releases by trying to provide them with a similar W v W v W setup in Rift. Can't blame them for trying.

    Blizzard had 7 years to figure out how to do what Trion is about to do in a themepark model and even they could not come up with something. People might say it is a rip off, but name another company that released with 2 faction game and then just decided to add another one.

     EQ2.

    And it wasn't an  instanced version of a zone.  You actually did a quest to betray your faction and become an outlaw.  You could then stay int he 3rd faction or change sides to the other faction.

    SoE just never evolved it beyond that, even though it was a pretty popular feature on the PvP servers.  I think the 3rd faction was even a FFA faction; so you didn't just get a 3rd faction, they gave players FFA pvp as well. 

    They even created a city just for the 3rd faction.

    This is what I find dissapointing with the Rift version.  It's just an instanced BG, and they keep calling it open world.  If it doesn't have any bearing on the actualy game world, and requires me to enter an instanced version of a single zone, that's not open world, that's just a wintersgrasp type battleground. 

    Players weren't asking for an instanced BG that let you choose a faction to play with.  We bombarded them with requests to add a 3rd faction to the actual game world to help improve on the world pvp.  The game lore more then suits the ability to change the dynamic of the game world itself.  They have an entire faction that went back in time, foerever altering the past and future.  You have rifts that don't just open up to other worlds, but entire alternate realities of the same world.

    At any point in time they could have written in a 3rd faction, or a dvide within one of the 2 existing faction.  They could have had an alternate Telara were the the Defiant and guardian split never happened, but instead had a kind of merging of minds; were science and religeon were embraced equally and the dragons were defeated.  That faction, while playing with technology to open slivers and explore new worlds comes across our version of Telara and sees the destruction that the war between the guardian and defiant has caused and seeks to bring the two factions together.  Ultimately they become trapped on in our world, but not before they're able to influence members of both the guardians and defiance.  This leads to the ability to undertake a questline that would allow you to change from your current faction to join this new faction that's become trapped on our Telara and wants to end the war between both guardian and defiant, to prevent the dragons from winning.

    When your lore revolves entirely around alternate realities and time travel there is nothing you can do that is counter to your lore.  It's already set up to allow for unlimitted possibilities. 

    I feel like they were trying for the quickest, easiest way to create 3 faction pvp without having to actually apply any real creativety or content to it.  Ultimately this is why I stopped playing.  The PvP is all about entering an instance, to grind kills for points to purchase gear. 

    When they said they had big plans to improve on world pvp, I didn't really expect the big plan to be another instanced WF, because that's not world pvp.

  • cerebrixcerebrix Orange, CAPosts: 566Member

    This thread makes me think about something that has been troubling me.

     

    There's a lot of simple minded gamers out there.  I realize that most of these gamers started their mmo experience with wow.  However few would mention it spouting off a list of old school games to be used as a "winning forum argument" in the face of those observations.

     

    Firstly, its impossible for an original IP to "go against lore".  The lore of an original IP is whatever they say it is.  This also holds true for Warcraft.  Going against lore would make sense in Star Wars or Star Trek.  Like seeing an original Enterprise from the Original series in the game when its supposed to take place 50 years after the next generation.  THAT is going against lore.  When you invent the lore in the first place though, lore is whatever you say it is, when you say it is.  Theres nothing from that storyline before you that you really need to adhere to.  Some of you wont understand that.  But someone needed to clarify that in here.

     

    Also saying Trion is desperate is hating for the sake of hating.  Which a lot of american's seem to love to do.  I'd say its more of a national pasttime than baseball is.  It's how so many people I come across battle through insecurity to "look cool".  By trashing something, or someone else.

     

    In reality, Trion is only doing what they've done for months and months since this game launched.  They listened to the players, listened to what they wanted, and then they gave it to them.  There's really no other company out there doing that. 

    Games i'm playing right now...
    image

    "In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff Writer St. Charles, MOPosts: 460MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon
  • BACONXBACONX Wellford, SCPosts: 236Member

    I have played a lot of games and I have played this one since the start. No matter what you think of the game, just realize how much content Trion has given its players without charging for an expansion. From launch day content till 1.8 (now), over a year later, I have only payed for a sub. That fact alone is a positive.

  • jazz.bejazz.be Sint-NiklaasPosts: 820Member Uncommon

    Impressive.

    I may try the game again.

    I wonder how big that pvp place will be.

Sign In or Register to comment.