Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do yourselves a favor and let the game sink on its own faults

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

To be honest, I dislike this game as much as any hardcore ES fan does, but to put it simply, let it go now and save everyone a big hassle.

No new information is going to come about within the next year to make the Hardcore ES fans in this group like the game or even find an intrest in it; other than the bad press it will obviously recieve...

...And trying to argue your point across on why you dislike the game will only fuel the degenerated off-beat fanboyism for the game its already receiving (Much like SWTOR), which will do nothing but provide it with more sales simply from "new fans" wanting to prove they are the "Real" fans who truely support the game (Even though they have no respect for the basis of where it comes from, much like the developers).

And who are those people purchasing ESO on day one if not the Hardcore ES players? Casuals that will get bored of it in a very short time span and move on to another flavor of the month MMO.

So just leave the game alone and let it sink into the abyss of other failed IP MMO's, it wont lessen the lore and fun of the games we love (Im playing Morrowind right now and its still one of the best games of all time), and at the end of the day it will just save alot of trouble for everyone and leave its tawdry support waining.

I mean you can continue to post on these forums to try and persuade a few people to change their minds, but much like everything these days, their will just be some creepy-bipartisian-esque posters who will stick to their guns no matter what point is provided, and giving attention to the other side just gives them more of a chance to hep the game succeed even in such a small unsatisfying way to the great IP it has backing it.

In the end thats the only reason this game is being made and we all know it, im banking on this being the last time a big name IP will be given a hugely overproduced themepark game because they wont be making money after this anymore. WoW pulled everyone in, and since then theres just been minimal returns for everyone else who has tried and tried to reproduce its huge money grossing effect. Even the biggest IP STAR WARS couldnt produce a blockbust hit MMO but again rather a flavor of the month MMO, simple, forgettable, a game that few will talk about in the future beyond a couple people. Id rather just see MMO's die and come back in 5 years to some good games when the Corps lose intrest and theirs no one left to sell out to. Its sad but its honestly the best possible thinking.

Gaia be with you my friends.

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Nope not gonna happen especially when some elements of what makes the TES series so awesome still have time to be implemented.  Its not out for another year or more so theres time to change some things.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

have an opinion but well said.

The lust for the almighty dollar is an ironic but direct reason for the demise of truly innovative and creative games.  WoW stamped out the Rosetta stone for everyone with a license I doubt we will see anything different now.

Sites like this don't really inspire true debate (locking threads for using the term WoW clone, santizing true free speech) even if they seem to on the surface. 

There are vastly more consumers out there that would eat up every last wow clone than there are disgruntled gamers who are looking for virtual worlds.

Maybe our hope is rests with Grand Fantasia or World of Warplanes or perhaps Drakensang Online.  This industry and has become a farce in my mind.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

I think badspock said something I agree with, the gist of which was....  out of simply justice, this game needs to be attacked hard and relentlessely. 

Either Zenimax will get a clue and make some changes, or this will have so much negative heat surrounding it that it folds quickly.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

TESO prolly will be succes becouse of nature of masses who don't care if its not solo game they just hear hey Elder Scroll and buy it becouse its themepark with colorful world and solo gameplay and all in the WoW third person view.

True TES fan proly won't play it but the MASS themepark fans and WoWclone fanbase will jump on the TESO bandwagon.
    ======= ======= ======== =======
    "The Elder Scrolls Online will be played in a third-person perspective and is attempting to be a "modern" MMO, blending The Elder Scrolls features into this new genre. Not all Elder Scrolls fans are happy with the new title's angle, but Firor said that's just fine.

"The worst situation for a game community to be in is where no one posts on the boards because they don't care," he said. "If they post on the boards, they care, even if they're not being so polite about it. But that's a fact of life: You're an Internet game, you're on the Internet, you have an Internet community. And the Internet community is always very vocal.

"So what you do is learn from it. You make sure you do the best job to deliver the best game that you can and they you go from there."

This what ZENIMAX things of TES fans SCREW YOU we don't care what you think they think hey popular name lets CASHIN $$$$$$ :(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Nope not gonna happen especially when some elements of what makes the TES series so awesome still have time to be implemented.  Its not out for another year or more so theres time to change some things.

Seriously? A year isn’t enough when the changes needed are too fundamental, and have you any reason to think Zenimax are willing to make that many changes? Or any at all? Starting from scratch, and a different company is the only way, no compromises, there is no part of the WoW formula needed here.

I agree with the OP, this project is pathetic, the one thing in it's defence, 3 faction pvp, won't be that special in a year as there will be at least 4 AAA mmos with it by then.

As to the masses buying it anyway, even the general public are getting sick of the same thing judging by Facebook, Youtube, general gamer comments. Why else would other WoW clones of the last couple of years (Rift, Swtor, etc) still be struggling to keep subs? And why else is there so much buzz around mmos such as GW2 that boast of breaking that mould?

Zenimax miss-judged the mmo gamer climate, and will pay, that’s been clear from the first announcement, it is inevitable. Devs never learn or adapt fast enough, and this lot are as dense as they come. Look at their threatening a free app maker, right when they need good press.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Same was said about several MMO's but nope people bought it and were disappointed.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

Sometimes I don't understand people on these forums...

1.  It's been in development since 2007.  It will release next year.  That means that they are putting finishing touches on a close-to-complete game.  Do you really think that some people griping on forums will make them say "oh well, lets start again and try for a release in 2020?

2.  Not much detail is out yet.  How can you be so emotional about something you don't really know jack about yet?

3.  Bethesda isn't making it.  They are making the next single player TES game.  In other words, this doesn't affect the releasing of the next TES game.  If you don't like ESO, don't buy it (and it won't adversly affect your life in any way whatsoever).

If it is so incredibly bad that only one person buys it and enjoys it, that's still one more person having fun than if they don't make it at all (which seems to be what a lot are wishing). 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

A few million for one person's fun isn't very sensible rguil...

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107
    Of course.  That's obviously the ridiculous extreme.  The point is that no one should be getting so upset about it.  If you don't like it, don't buy it. 

Suggesting boycotts and hoping it is terrible (or canceled)  seems strange to me.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I just cant believe that people are judging this game so horribly when it isn't even close to done.  I guess that's MMORPG community for ya.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

One would assume that if you agree to a person's request to boycott a game, then you agree with them on the reason to boycott it. Any invitation to do so is in principle a motion to alternatively inform or sway you to sharing that opinion. That's no different than some one advertising for or praising the game, just the goal is an inverse effect.

And people don't know details, but we have been given a range of general information between the initial release commentary and the followup, if you haven't noticed people are often referencing comments the developers made in those publishings or the recent video.

Like we know they claim the combat is traditional tab target and hotbar, but they added a universal 'block' ability for damage mitigation.

We know they claim players pick a specific class to play, and progress in only the defined role of that class.

People judge it based on what the developers have said. We know only what they claim, and what they claim has frustrated many players.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by rguilbert
    Of course.  That's obviously the ridiculous extreme.  The point is that no one should be getting so upset about it.  If you don't like it, don't buy it. 

Suggesting boycotts and hoping it is terrible (or canceled)  seems strange to me.

Maybe because once they make an ES mmo they won't get a chance to make another correctly?

Many, many people have waited a long time for them to actually make an ES MMO and when they finally announce they are we find out it's just another generic, class based mmo and not the sandbox mmo people expected an ESO to be.

Why do you think when the initial announcement was made there was so much excitement, and then when details started releasing that excitement turned into sheer horror?  MMORPG didn't write an article about how ESO will change the face of MMO's moments after the announcment was made because they though it was going to be just another WoWesque mmo we've been playing for the last decade.  They wrote the article because they though it was going to be an MMO that brought in the features that made the ES games so popular.

There's more then enough informatin about the game for people to know what kind of game it's going to be, and the latest interviews have shown that the game informer leek was indeed the real thing. 

You have to be living in a complete vacuum to think there isn't enough information for people to know that TESO is not going to play anything like an ES games, especially when they've already said it play exactly like WoW.

Or did you not here the guy in the latest interview when he was asked what can fans of the past few ES games look forward to in TESO,and his responce, "people that liked skyim can look forward to adventure in the lands of skyrim."  One would expect that we can already do that in a real ES game, not a DAoC/ WoW mock up with an ES title and lore that they said isn't even considered canon by bethesda.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

To be honest, I dislike this game as much as any hardcore ES fan does, but to put it simply, let it go now and save everyone a big hassle.

No new information is going to come about within the next year to make the Hardcore ES fans in this group like the game or even find an intrest in it; other than the bad press it will obviously recieve...

...And trying to argue your point across on why you dislike the game will only fuel the degenerated off-beat fanboyism for the game its already receiving (Much like SWTOR), which will do nothing but provide it with more sales simply from "new fans" wanting to prove they are the "Real" fans who truely support the game (Even though they have no respect for the basis of where it comes from, much like the developers).

And who are those people purchasing ESO on day one if not the Hardcore ES players? Casuals that will get bored of it in a very short time span and move on to another flavor of the month MMO.

So just leave the game alone and let it sink into the abyss of other failed IP MMO's, it wont lessen the lore and fun of the games we love (Im playing Morrowind right now and its still one of the best games of all time), and at the end of the day it will just save alot of trouble for everyone and leave its tawdry support waining.

I mean you can continue to post on these forums to try and persuade a few people to change their minds, but much like everything these days, their will just be some creepy-bipartisian-esque posters who will stick to their guns no matter what point is provided, and giving attention to the other side just gives them more of a chance to hep the game succeed even in such a small unsatisfying way to the great IP it has backing it.

In the end thats the only reason this game is being made and we all know it, im banking on this being the last time a big name IP will be given a hugely overproduced themepark game because they wont be making money after this anymore. WoW pulled everyone in, and since then theres just been minimal returns for everyone else who has tried and tried to reproduce its huge money grossing effect. Even the biggest IP STAR WARS couldnt produce a blockbust hit MMO but again rather a flavor of the month MMO, simple, forgettable, a game that few will talk about in the future beyond a couple people. Id rather just see MMO's die and come back in 5 years to some good games when the Corps lose intrest and theirs no one left to sell out to. Its sad but its honestly the best possible thinking.

Gaia be with you my friends.

I find it peculiar that a lot of so called ES fans are so quickly knocking an mmorpg that could potentially finally lead the industry out of the 2 faction cartoony theme park environment of WoW clones.  If I didn't know any better, I would say there is a diabolical organization or club of developers who are trying to destroy the industry with sub par crap pvp (same races and classes versing each other in a BG), and silly cute quests along with nothing that remotely relates to old school fantasy gaming.

This club might be afraid that due to the raising of a bar for the industry, that they will be forced to work harder, develop higher budgets, and try to cater less to the Asian market (sorry GW2 asian character graphics and cartoony WoW).  They are afraid that real political divides might exist between races (sorry Age of Conan with your attempt at a Euro version of Guildwars where no race fights under the flag of their country).

Just a thought.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

I don't know anything about TES, but there seems to be a lot of dissapointment over the annoucement of features.

Given the state of things over the last 6months in the MMO industry, and the player agro over re-hashed ideas, the Devs need to think hard about what theyre offering and to who.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Comaf

I find it peculiar that a lot of so called ES fans are so quickly knocking an mmorpg that could potentially finally lead the industry out of the 2 faction cartoony theme park environment of WoW clones.  If I didn't know any better, I would say there is a diabolical organization or club of developers who are trying to destroy the industry with sub par crap pvp (same races and classes versing each other in a BG), and silly cute quests along with nothing that remotely relates to old school fantasy gaming.

This club might be afraid that due to the raising of a bar for the industry, that they will be forced to work harder, develop higher budgets, and try to cater less to the Asian market (sorry GW2 asian character graphics and cartoony WoW).  They are afraid that real political divides might exist between races (sorry Age of Conan with your attempt at a Euro version of Guildwars where no race fights under the flag of their country).

Just a thought.

What the hell does faction pvp have to do with ES? 

When did ES fans start begging Bethesda to make an ES mmo because we wanted an updated version of DAoC? 

When did an open-ended, free-form, classless skill based game turn into everyone wanting a class based, quest driven, race locked, faction pvp game? 

You, like the developers of the game, don't seem to understand that the way the game plays is more important then what's in the game.  It's the level of restriction they're saying is going to be there.   Race locking you into a specific faction.  Every ES game I ever played I got to choose who I was fighting for, my race was never the determining factor.  3 faction pvp isn't so much the problem, as the way your put into the faction. 

When in did you ever have to stop and kill crap in an ES game to increase a skill, while exploring the world?  Never, unless you were out hunting monsters or animals to increase a combat skill.  You won't be doing that in TESO, and that's a HUGE deal.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by rguilbert

Sometimes I don't understand people on these forums...

1.  It's been in development since 2007.  It will release next year.  That means that they are putting finishing touches on a close-to-complete game.  Do you really think that some people griping on forums will make them say "oh well, lets start again and try for a release in 2020?

2.  Not much detail is out yet.  How can you be so emotional about something you don't really know jack about yet?

3.  Bethesda isn't making it.  They are making the next single player TES game.  In other words, this doesn't affect the releasing of the next TES game.  If you don't like ESO, don't buy it (and it won't adversly affect your life in any way whatsoever).

If it is so incredibly bad that only one person buys it and enjoys it, that's still one more person having fun than if they don't make it at all (which seems to be what a lot are wishing). 

The thing is the Magazine from Game Informer is actually quite detailed in what will be in the game and what will not.

Although Bethesda isn't making the game, saying that Elder Scrolls IP won't be damaged because of ESO is just guessing.

SWTOR was their TOR 3 4 5 , WOW is warcraft RTS to infinity, those IPs will never see their SP genre anymore.

Bethesda will be working on Skyrim DLC and Expansions but there is no word on the Next Elder Scrolls, you probably will not see a single mention of it once ESO comes out. They can just make an statement that there was never an ES after Skyrim in the plans from the beginning. 

And that they are working on the next Fallout instead of ES

If Bethesda comes out and said that The next ES Single Player is already in Development then these fears will be quinched. Otherwise this ESO will be as of now, the last ES we will see. And that affects all ES fans.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i personaly have absolutely no intention of playing an TES mmo that doesn't feel anything like the TES games. if it's not first person, if it's not aimed based, if it's not free to build your char as you go, if it's not huge open world....then i'm not playing it.

if i want to play a tab targeting, 3rd person view, instanced, class based game i've got a huge list already to choose from.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Classicstar

TESO prolly will be succes becouse of nature of masses who don't care if its not solo game they just hear hey Elder Scroll and buy it becouse its themepark with colorful world and solo gameplay and all in the WoW third person view.

True TES fan proly won't play it but the MASS themepark fans and WoWclone fanbase will jump on the TESO bandwagon.
    ======= ======= ======== =======
    "The Elder Scrolls Online will be played in a third-person perspective and is attempting to be a "modern" MMO, blending The Elder Scrolls features into this new genre. Not all Elder Scrolls fans are happy with the new title's angle, but Firor said that's just fine.

"The worst situation for a game community to be in is where no one posts on the boards because they don't care," he said. "If they post on the boards, they care, even if they're not being so polite about it. But that's a fact of life: You're an Internet game, you're on the Internet, you have an Internet community. And the Internet community is always very vocal.

"So what you do is learn from it. You make sure you do the best job to deliver the best game that you can and they you go from there."

This what ZENIMAX things of TES fans SCREW YOU we don't care what you think they think hey popular name lets CASHIN $$$$$$ :(

People thought The Old Republic was going to be a success because it was Star Wars and look what is happening. The game is headed to the trash bin on everyone's pc.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

This is the internet, we come here to argue.

GO!

Oh, wait, y'all beat me to it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Looking forward to it, sounds a great mmo. Will be funny to see all sheeple turn face when it comes out.
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Looking forward to it, sounds a great mmo. Will be funny to see all sheeple turn face when it comes out.

I don't think anyone is arguing if its gonna be an MMO, most arguments are whether or not they should put Elder Scrolls's name on it. Because its just another MMO, will it be good enough to have ES attached to its name? thats the big question.

Guess the wool over Gamer's eyes are gone due to all the recent MMO launches that feel lackluster.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Lucioon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

I don't think anyone is arguing if its gonna be an MMO, most arguments are whether or not they should put Elder Scrolls's name on it. Because its just another MMO, will it be good enough to have ES attached to its name? thats the big question.

Guess the wool over Gamer's eyes are gone due to all the recent MMO launches that feel lackluster.

Pretty much this.

The market does not need another "clone".

The fans of the ES franchise do not want another "clone".

In part, the ES franchise has been successful because it "does its own thing" and allows players to do things other games do not offer.

How is taking away most of the unique/specific features that make ES games popular in turning the franchise into an MMO any way a good idea?

Putting the ES name on the box, does not an ES game make....

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

I'm truly curious how this thread:

Wait Till The True DAoC Fans and MMO'ers Get Behind This Game.

[mod edit]

And this thread: Im glad people are hating on this game....

also gets locked, while this thread:

Do yourselves a favor and let the game sink on its own faults

is allowed to stay open. The baiting and negativity in this thread is astounding, and yet it's allowed to stay open. [mod edit]

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

how about you not tell me how to spend my money :P

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by miagisan

how about you not tell me how to spend my money :P

Can you specifically point out anytime in my post where I told you how to spend your money?

Originally posted by Qallidexz

I'm truly curious how this thread

is allowed to stay open. The baiting and negativity in this thread is astounding, and yet it's allowed to stay open. The one-sidedness in the censorship on this forum is disgusting.

Also in reply to you, my thread is not baiting or tryingto be one sided. In fact its the exact opposite, because im saying the people bashing the game (myself included) need to let go of the fact the game is being made the way it is, because guess what? Its just going to bring more people in to defend the game because its being made for the masses aka (The majority) which you are in. You cant deny your not personally in the majority because you obviously enjoy linear themepark games which is exactly what ESO is. And yes I can make this judgement off of what has been presented (A decent sized GI article) because literally 90% of what was listed is from Linear Themepark games like Tor, WoW, etc, I mean it has a 100% solo story that is the MAIN QUEST and voice acting...and what does that sound like???

The Old Republic Online, which is a linear themepark game made for the masses. The only thing the game has going for it is three-faction PVP, but guess what? That wont go over well because any fans of the elder scrolls series (The non linear, freeroaming games that the series is based around) know that there are no lore restrictions for who can fight with who, and this is just another attempt to make the game (Again for the third time) appeal to the majority.