Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Conquest - Open World, Three Faction PvP

Comments

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    Originally posted by Chopsticks

too late trion, would have been awesome if this was created soon after launch but now you guys just seem real desperate because GW2 is coming out soon.

and also its such a terrible decision that you can switch factions quickly. who thought this was a good idea? because no one is going to jump to the faction that is winning right?

I don't see that anywhere. Did I miss that, or are you assuming?

I watched a fan video previewing it and they said you can switch factions instantly so no one is stuck in one faction. Also testers on the official forums were saying they need to get rid of quick faction switching since there was a lot of "bandwagon jumping" to the powerful team.

yeah that seems pretty silly. I see many reason why, but it seems like there could be a better solution.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

It sounds like a GW2 ripoff, or more preceisely a DAoC ripoff. Not that this is a bad thing, but they should have designed the game with 3 factions from the start. Or planned the 3 server conflicts from the start, like GW2.

It looks like an attempt to keep hold of players they know are planning on leaving as soon as GW2 releases by trying to provide them with a similar W v W v W setup in Rift. Can't blame them for trying.

Blizzard had 7 years to figure out how to do what Trion is about to do in a themepark model and even they could not come up with something. People might say it is a rip off, but name another company that released with 2 faction game and then just decided to add another one.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Hmm... I'm torn on this one.   I like TRION's quality level, but their direction seems somewhat hazy and desperate.

I had written a suggestion for a three-faction split long ago when the game first released, because I felt that the planars should be another playable faction, and people should be able to enter the planar rifts and explore the elemental planes.

I was a HUGE fan of DAoC (pre-ToA), and the three-faction system always seemed the smartest way to implement PvP...

...but I'm skeptical about this announcement at a time when other games are announcing a three-faction system at the start, such as GW2 and Elder Scrolls Online.  It does reek of panic-stricken knee-jerk reactions to the looming competition.

I'd rather see TRION focus on expanding its world map, and adding more playable content BEYOND the random "World Events" that seem like hamster-wheel grind-fests for cosmetic items.

TRION regularly produces clean, mostly bug-free content, but it seems like it's always something on par with "video game junk food":  something to grab your attention while never really delivering depth or a long-lasting experience.

I'm signed up with RIFT for a year-long subscription, but I haven't felt inclined to log in for quite some time now.

As far as other people's opinions about this upcoming content going against the lore, I honestly feel like the lore is so uninspired to begin with, that it's no major loss.

TRION has some serious talent in other areas, but storytelling isn't one of them.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

i dont see a problem with this really, people can shout rip off all they want but going by that logic no developer would be able to add any content.

as for the lorehounds moaning, too bad the lore DOES allow for things like this. You know the slivers and their alternate universes that are fairly thoroughly described through quite a few quests by now. It is far from farfetched that in one universe guardians and defiants didnt go to war but instead they split into three factions instead of two. Hell we seen alternate universes where there is no war or there are no guardians or defiants.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

gotta respect Trion for content publishing.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

A hastily thrown together rip off(a rip off of a rip off even, nothing can go wrong there) in a desperate attempt to stop current bleeding subs and to prevent future more large scale bleeding subs.

Meanwhile, other features like Rifts(in general), Warfronts, Instant Adventures, Chronicles and Master mode dungeons are forgotten.

Kinda makes you wonder what new feature Trion will introduce later that they completely abandon Conquest for.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

you guys just seem real desperate because GW2 is coming out soon.

Not really. I think Trion got alot of money from Rift and now moving along with Defiance. Seems all good to me. I think it's the GW2 fanboys who are getting desperate to try and put down every game that's not theirs.

BTW, you may not know, but gw2 wasn't the first mmorpg ever.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Of all the WoW clones, rift is the best.  They really tried to do some new things and pulled them off to a good extent.

This idea seems like a lot of fun, but after playing TERA I don't know if I can back into a tab-target game.

Could be an option to head back to rift if they don't update TERA fast enough.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

This is actually where I lose a little respect for Trion.  Not because I don't believe they will pull off a very polished RvRvR style gameplay, but because they are going completely outside of their design plan to include something that really doesn't make sense to the game..(Even though they try to explain it with 'slivers')

Not only that, it is clearly NOT open world PvP, as it does not even exist in the actual PvE gaming world of RIFT.  It is in it's own instance, which again, is NOT open world.  I understand that it's unlimited players and all that, but it is still not open world.  If they can design it as 3 factions now, they should have just done it from launch and added all of it into that actual game world instead of an instance.

Poor planning.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

It sounds like a GW2 ripoff, or more preceisely a DAoC ripoff. Not that this is a bad thing, but they should have designed the game with 3 factions from the start. Or planned the 3 server conflicts from the start, like GW2.

It looks like an attempt to keep hold of players they know are planning on leaving as soon as GW2 releases by trying to provide them with a similar W v W v W setup in Rift. Can't blame them for trying.

so by that you mean gw2 pvp is a rip off daoc..all mmo's are similar to a point and take from each other.i say nice one trion but give people what they want and peeps still bitch and moan,go figure!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

They should have simply added a new zone that is conquest available.  An area that is away from normal PvE areas and aside ffrom casual PvE players.  Added forts, keeps, and other points of interest.  Created siege mechanics, added something to fight over and rewards that meant something in the end.  That would have made so much more sense.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Figure ill wait for GW2,  too little too late for this game.  What is really sad about this game is the fact it has an interesting core concept,  but instead of building on they ripped off wow questing and now GW2 server vs server pvp.  

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by snapfusion

So let me see Rift "ripped" this off from GW2 a game that hasnt shipped yet, but they also ripped this off from DAOC but GW2 didnt rip this off from DAOC?  Okay got it.

Or did you mean to say GW2 and Rift ripped this off from DAOC but since Rift has been out for a couple of years then they have ripped it off less that GW2 will have when it finally ships.

Or do you just have a problem with Rift since its not the game your currenly playing and feel the need to trash it?  Probably this.

Your post reaks of some sort of bizzare jealousy, love hate thing.  Maybe Rift (and every other game you dont play aneymore) to you is like some ex girl friend hangup,  The post was very strange but its pretty clear who your new love is, you know that game that ripped off both Rifts dynamic events and DAOC''s three faction server verse server system, and a class system very very simlar to Fallen Earth,  Oh, but in this case its "okay" because thats the game "you" want to play.

I wouldn't go as far as to say a ripoff, but at least get your facts straight.  While GW2 hasn't shipped yet, it has been in development since 2007, and from the very beginning they wanted to emulate DAoC PvP, but expand upon it.  Not only that, but some of their main developers were at Mythic in the conception days of DAoC, so it is only natural.

Now Trion, is going against their own lore, and what they built in the beginning because they see this feature and the pull it is having with a lot of PvP'ers.  This is very similar to what WoW would do when a new MMO would hit the scene with new features, they would take those features and paste them into their game.  That's why I can understand him saying its a ripoff, because it wasn't a feature they planned to ship with, it wasn't a feature they supported in the beginning when a lot of us DAoC fans were asking for some meaningful World PvP, but now that they see what this feature is bringing to the new competition, and they are trying to implement it into their game in a way that doesn't really sit well with their own lore. 

• Chosen1Chosen1 Member UncommonPosts: 37
  • SanasuSanasu Member UncommonPosts: 29

Folks, this addition is no way lore-breaking.  The game uses slivers as an explanation for a great deal of things... almost like a multi-verse.  They are tears in reality where, once stepped into, nothing is the same as any other reality.  For example, the sliver "Gilded Prophecy" is a timeline in which Laethys had won and we are trying to rebel.  That is the premise of the 10man raid.  By doing this, Trion is able to theoretically add almost anything (to an extent), as long as it ties into the basic lore of the planes.

This form of PvP is just that - a Sliver.  It is an alternate reality where Defiant and Guardians no longer, or have never, exist(ed).  If you think about it, it really is a smart move.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I will resub and check this out once it's live.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131

LMAO you people amaze me.  I love the "desperate" comment about how Trion is scared on GW2. Just too darn funny.

3 faction PVP has been around since DAOC, and so what if they want to try it? It obviously works. I call it a good business decision where the jealous few call it a rip off. 

No, paying 150.00 for the SWTOR CE, that was a ripoff.

Devs are adding a new feature, *gasp* it must me an mmothreadtroll conspiracy. 

This game is going strong, and gets better every patch. Nothing since the early days of UO has kept me  and many people I know, so interested.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by DAS1337

They should have simply added a new zone that is conquest available.  An area that is away from normal PvE areas and aside ffrom casual PvE players.  Added forts, keeps, and other points of interest.  Created siege mechanics, added something to fight over and rewards that meant something in the end.  That would have made so much more sense.

Well they did sort of add a separate zone with the whole mirror image of the world, separate from the pve and casual players. The rest of the stuff I am sure will come in time. Like this game or not, one thing is for sure, Trion keeps it evolving.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Honestly GW2 fans should be flattered that Trion is using the blueprint that GW2 laid out. The major issue with 3 faction games from the start has and will always be population and fair distribution of numbers. This is why we have not seen other 3 factions games in recent years because noone has figured out how to tackle that issue.

GW2 does it by elimating world pvp and completely homogenizing the classes. Trion does it by adding a alternate realities where you are thrown into a battle.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Thanks Trion, can't wait :)

@ the person saying you can switch factions, trion stated as much but only during while its on PTS.

It's not just the PVP rank+ and conquest we are getting, its the frequently asked for mentoring system, expansion of the IA's to other zones, a new 10 man sliver, a new dungeon.

It was hinted at at zone expansions, but guess they wil come in 2.0 (7 apparantly)

All that included in sub price, not having to pay for it as an expansion :)

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610
    Originally posted by DAS1337

If enough ask for it, they will make it happen :)

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Of all people, DaoC fans should look forward to the future. It seems one long lost, but awesome feature is going to resurface in multiple installations of the mmo genre. It doesn't matter who did it first, but who did it best.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

3 faction pvp is something the players have been requesting for a long time. They figured out a way to get it in the game. I like that they listen to their player base and release stable content quickly. I can't say that of any other mmo out right now and that generates big points with me. Also the fast faction switching is just for testing. They said it won't go live with that.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by IPolygon

Of all people, DaoC fans should look forward to the future. It seems one long lost, but awesome feature is going to resurface in multiple installations of the mmo genre. It doesn't matter who did it first, but who did it best.

I don't get why people have to be at each others throats about this. I'm not from the time of DAOC, so never played it, but it seems most players here, and else where, claim 3 faction rvr has the best pvp system. Years have gone by without any mmo doing it, and now, TSW, GW2, PS2, Rift and later, TESO are all doing it.

Out of nowhere, 5 full games are going to have, in the spam of 1 year (2 you get it), so the fighting? Isn't this what everyone has always wanted? All of them just copied DAOC anyway, so players should just be happy.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

It sounds nice but any inmersion aspect of it is completely broken. They streched the story way to thin to accomodate for this.