Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514: Beta Registration Open

2»

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by LoboMau

Its so stupid that this game is only in the PS3! I want to play it in my PC!!!! :(

all i can say is i think the whole PS3 thing is a fail of EPIC proportions, and while i was very interested in Dust514, there is not a chance in hell that i would purchase a PS3 on the strength of it.. It makes absolutely no sense at all to have it as a PS3 exclusive, as by now it should be abundantly clear to anyone, that even on a sales basis, Xbox games outsell PS3 versions by  a factor of at least 2:1 .. not that i'd buy an Xbox to play the game either, im not a fan of consoles in any way shape or form, I have a PC which is far superior to any existing console and its likely to remain so..  maybe they'll develop a PS3 emulator for the PC.. not like it can't handle it image

so i'll say it now, Huge flop incoming..  .. and yes i am a long time Eve player, have been since feb 2004..  and i seriously doubt im the only Eve player to have some serious doubts about Dust 514.image

For the millionth time: CCP wanted to develop it for the XBox (they've worked quite closely with microsoft in the past), but Microsoft's rules for xbox multiplayer games are incompatible with the DUST / EVE concept and they refused to change those rules for CCP. As you should know already, mr "Long Time EVE Player".

So CCP did a deal with Sony, got a pile of development cash from them, and they're releasing it as a PS3 exclusive. AFAIK, the terms of the deal mean it has to stay PS3 only for one year after launch, after which CCP can expand it to other platforms (ie: the PC) if they wish. Since DUST is developed on the UT3 engine, porting it to the PC shouldn't be all that hard, and I think it's more likely than not that we'll see a PC release in ~15 months or so.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Phry Originally posted by LoboMau Its so stupid that this game is only in the PS3! I want to play it in my PC!!!! :(
    all i can say is i think the whole PS3 thing is a fail of EPIC proportions, and while i was very interested in Dust514, there is not a chance in hell that i would purchase a PS3 on the strength of it.. It makes absolutely no sense at all to have it as a PS3 exclusive, as by now it should be abundantly clear to anyone, that even on a sales basis, Xbox games outsell PS3 versions by  a factor of at least 2:1 .. not that i'd buy an Xbox to play the game either, im not a fan of consoles in any way shape or form, I have a PC which is far superior to any existing console and its likely to remain so..  maybe they'll develop a PS3 emulator for the PC.. not like it can't handle it so i'll say it now, Huge flop incoming..  .. and yes i am a long time Eve player, have been since feb 2004..  and i seriously doubt im the only Eve player to have some serious doubts about Dust 514.

For the millionth time: CCP wanted to develop it for the XBox (they've worked quite closely with microsoft in the past), but Microsoft's rules for xbox multiplayer games are incompatible with the DUST / EVE concept and they refused to change those rules for CCP. As you should know already, mr "Long Time EVE Player".

So CCP did a deal with Sony, got a pile of development cash from them, and they're releasing it as a PS3 exclusive. AFAIK, the terms of the deal mean it has to stay PS3 only for one year after launch, after which CCP can expand it to other platforms (ie: the PC) if they wish. Since DUST is developed on the UT3 engine, porting it to the PC shouldn't be all that hard, and I think it's more likely than not that we'll see a PC release in ~15 months or so.

In addition to this...

CCP was ever since developing Dust514 as a console-shooter for two other reasons: safety and leveled battlefield.

Let me explain these two things. First there's the safety aspect, which isn't about the player-accounts, but about the hacking and using of bots and cheats. Sure you can hack your PS3/Xbox360 and use cheats and bots, but once detected by the server, your console will get banned by it's hardware ID. So if you want to play dirty, then be prepared to buy a new console once you're banned.

Second, there's the level battlefield. This has to be seen in terms of hardware and gaming-experience. Everyone is using the same hardware, so the game runs the same for everyone. There's no heavy discrepancies in FPS, detail-levels, resolution etc...

These two things make a console the preferred platfrom for a shooter actually, as it minimizes the hacking and cheating and it provides every player with the same gaming-experience based on the unified hardware.

Oh... and for those not wanting to play with a gamepad... just go buy a compatible keyboard and mouse for the PS3 ;)

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I for one like the fact that it is a PS3 exclusive, and am excited to check this game out.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I'm looking forward to playing it on the PC when it comes out on that platform as a free-to-play extension to the EVE experience, but I understand and accept that CCP's reasons for the PS3 exclusive were good ones (None of the people whining about it were willing to pony up any development money, I noticed...)

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Originally posted by Malcanis

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by LoboMau Its so stupid that this game is only in the PS3! I want to play it in my PC!!!! :(
    all i can say is i think the whole PS3 thing is a fail of EPIC proportions, and while i was very interested in Dust514, there is not a chance in hell that i would purchase a PS3 on the strength of it.. It makes absolutely no sense at all to have it as a PS3 exclusive, as by now it should be abundantly clear to anyone, that even on a sales basis, Xbox games outsell PS3 versions by  a factor of at least 2:1 .. not that i'd buy an Xbox to play the game either, im not a fan of consoles in any way shape or form, I have a PC which is far superior to any existing console and its likely to remain so..  maybe they'll develop a PS3 emulator for the PC.. not like it can't handle it so i'll say it now, Huge flop incoming..  .. and yes i am a long time Eve player, have been since feb 2004..  and i seriously doubt im the only Eve player to have some serious doubts about Dust 514.

In addition to this...

CCP was ever since developing Dust514 as a console-shooter for two other reasons: safety and leveled battlefield.

Let me explain these two things. First there's the safety aspect, which isn't about the player-accounts, but about the hacking and using of bots and cheats. Sure you can hack your PS3/Xbox360 and use cheats and bots, but once detected by the server, your console will get banned by it's hardware ID. So if you want to play dirty, then be prepared to buy a new console once you're banned.

Second, there's the level battlefield. This has to be seen in terms of hardware and gaming-experience. Everyone is using the same hardware, so the game runs the same for everyone. There's no heavy discrepancies in FPS, detail-levels, resolution etc...

These two things make a console the preferred platfrom for a shooter actually, as it minimizes the hacking and cheating and it provides every player with the same gaming-experience based on the unified hardware.

Oh... and for those not wanting to play with a gamepad... just go buy a compatible keyboard and mouse for the PS3 ;)

+1, absolutely perfect reply.

Where's the any key?

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

I don't understand why this website is covering some generic console MOBA.  Might as well start posting news for MAG.

And even if this game came to PC what chance does it stand against Planetside 2?  It'a just another 16v16 (or whatever it is) match-based shooter.  A few random tie-ins to EVE isn't going to make it "cool" or "deep".

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Can we ever have something on Dust 514 without the comments filling up with people whining about the platform choice? It's fact of life that there will always be games which aren't on a platform you own. Get over it or go out and buy the platform so you can play the game. But moaning and throwing tantrums on the internet is just tiresome.