Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I WANT to get back into WoW, but..

azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

I honestly, I just can't. My realm is a total disaster there are no guilds looking for people and the few that are suck. I personally am not really hard core but I can get shit done - there are no guilds like that on my realm. Which means I'd have to transfer or reroll. If I reroll I lose all my stuff on my current toons, some of which is very hard to get and a few things that're impossible, so I'd most likely just transfer.

That however cost money but is also kind of a PITA. Not only would I have to find a realm but also a guild there as well and there is no promise that the realm would even have decent ones.

I enjoyed WoW, and I want to come back, but it feels like WoW is kind of blocked off to me at this point.

Playing
Nothing
waiting for
The secret world
Played
WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

Comments

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

I've been feeling the same way lately. I joined pretty late and hadn't got into all that secret non-replacable stuff, but I still feel that abandoning my old characters is a huge loss. My old realm is, also, an example of bad playership (Alliance, of course). The problem? I don't want to give Blizz any more of my money, and besides, it's all about the friends that will play with you, not the actual game play. Starting over would suck for finding new friends (good friends, preferably). Yet, a bad investment of time is better than none, at least when you're as bored as me. :/

Alas, their "free" accounts are severely limitted by level and lack of expansion, and any form of resurrection for the account is also limited by time. Let's face it, noone wants to play vanilla anymore and the first 20 levels are as dull as a bag of hammers. I played for the end game, and it's just a gear treadmill when you play without friends. I lost my friends the moment they benched me indefinately for less reliable players, but I digress.

Point is. If you have no money, no time, or no friends that play anymore, you're better off huddled in the dark... fighting the shakes from your WoW withdrawal. And any talk about coming back will only serve to make WoW -- and Blizzard by extension -- stronger in this fight to find something new and truly exciting. If you still want to go back and try to squeeze what you can from the game, I won't stop you. May Blizz have mercy on your wallet (and soul?) when they steal it again. -_-

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

I think my last refuge would be trying to find a guild of all LOCAL players, but I'd have no idea how to do that other then maybe craigslist. I live in portland oregon, and its populated by hippies and hipsters, not gamers.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86

If it's not fun, don't play it.

You will get this feeling when playing MMO's, just leave the game in the dust and move on man. The only way to do it, get over it, next game. I thought I wanted to go back too, so I got my deleted characters back after a year of being gone and played for about 3 weeks, then I was done. That's what would happen in your case, or most for that matter.

Originally posted by Nineven

If it's not fun, don't play it.

You will get this feeling when playing MMO's, just leave the game in the dust and move on man. The only way to do it, get over it, next game. I thought I wanted to go back too, so I got my deleted characters back after a year of being gone and played for about 3 weeks, then I was done. That's what would happen in your case, or most for that matter.

The problem is, its fun if I'm actually DOING things. I don't like just sitting in queue waiting for a heroic/raid, not saying a word then leaving group after the boss dies and doing it again. I like chilling in a raid with 9 other people with drinks, cracking jokes and killing bosses you know?

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Transfering characters is always a risk.  Once I decided to move off my godawful server to another decent sounding endgame guild with my warlock.  Problem was the transfer process took a week, (a backlog issue with Blizz).  When I finally got there they'd already recruited another three locks of their own server, which is understandable I suppose but a complete pain to me. Those other locks were better geared players then me, so I wasn't going to get a lookin.  Cost me £30 in the end to get him back with my other characters but I guess it was a lesson learnt. :D

Blizzard really should be looking at mergers with some of the smaller servers but then that wouldn't look great to the investors.

You have a couple of options but all of them cost money, (faction change/move server/resub), but seeings as your waiting for TSW and thats out next month is it really worth it? If you spend now you might regret it later, I know I did in my case :D

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Best to wait it out untill the big patch before Mists expansion. They've been doing the Deathwing raid for months now. If you go back now, chances are you'll log in and after afew minutes be bored and regret that you came back at all. Just wait afew more weeks/months and then do it.

Play El Diablo III until then!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

[quote]Originally posted by azrael466
    [b]

Originally posted by Nineven I like chilling in a raid with 9 other people with drinks, cracking jokes and killing bosses you know?
    I remember that, i dont know that anymore :(

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by azrael466

The problem is, its fun if I'm actually DOING things. I don't like just sitting in queue waiting for a heroic/raid, not saying a word then leaving group after the boss dies and doing it again. I like chilling in a raid with 9 other people with drinks, cracking jokes and killing bosses you know?

I saw some of this in leveling also.  The "finder" groups were all business "run, dps, k thx bye".  It's just not the same as running with a cool guild.

I have no suggestion, but can relate to the problem at hand.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Transfering characters is always a risk.  Once I decided to move off my godawful server to another decent sounding endgame guild with my warlock.  Problem was the transfer process took a week, (a backlog issue with Blizz).  When I finally got there they'd already recruited another three locks of their own server, which is understandable I suppose but a complete pain to me. Those other locks were better geared players then me, so I wasn't going to get a lookin.  Cost me £30 in the end to get him back with my other characters but I guess it was a lesson learnt. :D

Blizzard really should be looking at mergers with some of the smaller servers but then that wouldn't look great to the investors.

You have a couple of options but all of them cost money, (faction change/move server/resub), but seeings as your waiting for TSW and thats out next month is it really worth it? If you spend now you might regret it later, I know I did in my case :D

I think you might have done it the other way around to me, I ages ago transfered to Sylvanas, because I wanted to play Alliance for a change and Sylvanas EU with Method was the most popular hardcore Alliance raiding realm. So I spent the cash to transfer and just really hoped around from group to group and got the achievements and the gear, then applied to one of the good guilds to get it a bit more serious. 

Originally posted by Omnifish

Well, I've actually been playing TSW beta and my computer doesn't play it well enough to be worth it, just havn't updaetd my sig

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

There's little point in playing now unless you simply enjoy WSG for example or doing something awful like archaeology.

My server has 150~ people on at "prime" time now.

There are nearly four times that in my guild alone.

Or I should say, were.

It's dead, like disco and SWTOR.

Edit:

I'm not saying it's a bad game.

I'm not saying I "can't" personally have fun, it's nothing like it was though - without regard for nostalgia or that I've been forced to do nothing but play with myself since mid WOTLK when my friends all disappeared simultaneously.

The current development team are in fact, bad.

I will say that with total conviction - unless of course one of their primary goal is to run off long term players in hopes they buy the shitfest that D3 is or Titan five years from now.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Please cut out the inappropriate back and forth and stick to the topic at hand. Thanks!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by azrael466

I honestly, I just can't. My realm is a total disaster there are no guilds looking for people and the few that are suck. I personally am not really hard core but I can get shit done - there are no guilds like that on my realm. Which means I'd have to transfer or reroll. If I reroll I lose all my stuff on my current toons, some of which is very hard to get and a few things that're impossible, so I'd most likely just transfer.

That however cost money but is also kind of a PITA. Not only would I have to find a realm but also a guild there as well and there is no promise that the realm would even have decent ones.

I enjoyed WoW, and I want to come back, but it feels like WoW is kind of blocked off to me at this point.

WoW is a Lobby game

Everything is cross realm..........Que up anyone ?

Guilds, friends, play in the world for community, it's all completely shot.

This is not Vanilla WoW anymore, It's as different as WoW is to Everquest 2.  They never asked the players to do all the changes Blizzard just did them. Now were stuck with it's new style and Blizzard is not willing to undo anything.

Only one solution stop playing, if you don't like this new game.