Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait Till The True DAoC Fans and MMO'ers Get Behind This Game.

QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

So, after years of bleakness, and not really bothering to check out what games are coming up in the near future, just yesterday, I discovered ESO, and I am EXCITED.

FINALLY, A REAL PvP-Based DAoC Game has come back to engage gamers in REAL exciting, REALLY meaningful, and REALLY enjoyable PvP.  Then I checked the fourums...

Everyone here seems to be the real hardcore single-player based ES fans, not wanting it to convert into an MMO.  Well guess what? It is converting into an MMO, and it can't be a perfect little single-player game like you've always wanted, because it's not. That's just not what MMO means.

It has to make some changes in order to be an MMO, yea. It has grouping, it has PvP, it has a 3rd person view, but so what? Does this mean the game is a guaranteed failure because it doesn't please you whiny little hardcore single player ES fans? HELLZ No. Guess what? It doesn't matter if you hardcore single-player fans aren't going to get into it, because you're not the target market...

The target market is MMO fans, period. There's plenty of overlap between MMO fans and fans of the Elder Scrolls series, and if the game good, they'll no doubt enjoy it. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE JUST LIKE THE OTHER ELDER SCROLLS GAMES...

You have to think of it as being an MMO set in the Elder Scrolls universe, rather than an Elder Scrolls game jammed into an MMO-style gameplay.

Yes, it'll obviously be like DAoC, but guess what you Elder Scrolls fans... DAoC was a great game. Considered among many true hardcore MMO fans (not the second generation WoW'ers mind you), but the true fans, as being one of the great MMO's of all time AND having the greatest PvP system of all time.

Right now, the only people who've seen the game "Elder Scrolls Online" are the Elder Scrolls fans, the DAoC fans and other true MMO'ers haven't really had the time to see what Elder Scrolls is all about, because the only people clicking on "Elder Scrolls Online", are the fans of THAT universe.

Most MMO'ers would quickly assume the game was going to just be another WoW-like dissapointment, but guess what? I played Rift since Beta 2, and ALL I heard on the forums was how the PvP was dissapointing, and boring, and the world DESPERATELY needed another game with the badass 3 faction, stronghold-conquering style that was DAoC.

Once the DAoC fans realize the similarites, THEY will propel the games to new heights while the hardcore ES fans sit on the site and whine about how the game isn't Elder Scrollsey enough for them, period.

Comments

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Forum marketing..hrm..how mutch do you get paid doing what you do?  Im asuming you are a paid hyper considering no sane person would actualy try to defend this tittle. not mmo fans, not TES fans  ..well perhaps there are a few..afterall swg post nge kept its defenders and sw:tor has its own also ..

crazy world...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Unlike the sheeple that go "its got an ability bar, wow clone, burn the witch!" Or "sprpg being made into a mmo using hero engine, lolz must be swtor 2.0" then?
  • MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102

Just to be sure you arenot talking out the whazoo there....

MMO does mean massivly multiplayer online game. Meaning a game lots of people log in to play a single game in a linked or otherwise single world.

It doesnt mean they always have to group to do everything. There can and should be solo playable events in any MMO.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Eladi

Forum marketing..hrm..how mutch do you get paid doing what you do?  Im asuming you are a paid hyper considering no sane person would actualy try to defend this tittle. not mmo fans, not TES fans  ..well perhaps there are a few..afterall swg post nge kept its defenders and sw:tor has its own also ..

crazy world...

Not a paid advertiser, just a true DAoC/MMO fan, who wants a good MMO and doesn't care how closely it resembles the other Elder Scrolls games.. The only one I played was Skyrim, and I liked it.

But ESO won't ruin those games, anymore than LoTRO ruined the books/movies, or SWTOR ruined the Star Wars movies...

I'm a hardcore MMO fan and I'm making a point, all you hardcore ES fans are going to cry and cry while the popularity of this game simply on it's MMO merits continues to rise, and give the PvP-hungry public what it's been waiting for. I don't think a paid advertiser would say what I have to say, I think they'd try to convince you more of how ESO stands by it's old ES standards, rather than trying to explain how that doesn't matter a great deal to the core of the MMO-loving community.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Aha, I guess this is what is called spin.

Some people dont like ESO, but that is because we are not true MMOers, not because the information available shows that the game is shite...

GG

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Myrradah

Just to be sure you arenot talking out the whazoo there....

MMO does mean massivly multiplayer online game. Meaning a game lots of people log in to play a single game in a linked or otherwise single world.

It doesnt mean they always have to group to do everything. There can and should be solo playable events in any MMO.

And yes, that's a great point. Though there will be the grouping MMO aspect no doubt, I'm sure there will still be plenty of immersing and entertaining single-player activity as well. Particularly in this game, in order to please the more hardcore ES-loving fans.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Oh noes I'm not a true MMO fan, what am I going to do now. OP you'll soon find out that you are quite alone. Not that others won't like TESO, but in your very negative attitude towards other MMO's

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

these people who are against elder scrolls tranforming to online are quite sad, you jsut want your little word where you can adventurre on your own against programmed stuff well im sure bethesda still keeps making this single player rpgs in future aswell so dont cry youllget your own little world to run around . 

im one of those who are excited about it very much and is one of the one from new titles that im actually waiting.

• unrealunreal Member Posts: 53

The problem is that the game will have nothing in common gameplay wise with The Elder Scrolls series. And that we'll have a single player focused story in a mmo... again (why do they seem to think this is such a good idea?) Seriously, it's like they're trying their best to make the game as dull as dishwater

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

I remember first playing morrowind 10 years ago.  Considering im in college now I was quite young then but the game captured my mind in such a way I never wanted to put it down.  I sunk in over 500 hours in my first playthrough.  I didnt even touch the main quest (actually at this point I have still never completed the main questline in Morrowind) and i've put more time into that game than most people put in their average mmo's as of late.

But since then it has remained my favorite rpg of all time and to see the world and everything that made elder scrolls the elder scrolls being turned into dust with the production of this mmo makes my heart sink.  Firor was right in his interview when he said a vocal community was a caring community and thats because Zenimax is ruining the first immersive virtual world I ever fell in love with.  You can call it video game dramaticism but honestly seeing this game being developed the way it is makes me hope that it fails so developers can understand you cant take any world and put the tried and true mmo formula of the last 10 years in place and expect immediate success.

Originally posted by Mavek

I remember first playing morrowind 10 years ago.  Considering im in college now I was quite young then but the game captured my mind in such a way I never wanted to put it down.  I sunk in over 500 hours in my first playthrough.  I didnt even touch the main quest (actually at this point I have still never completed the main questline in Morrowind) and i've put more time into that game than most people put in their average mmo's as of late.

But since then it has remained my favorite rpg of all time and to see the world and everything that made elder scrolls the elder scrolls being turned into dust with the production of this mmo makes my heart sink.  Firor was right in his interview when he said a vocal community was a caring community and thats because Zenimax is ruining the first immersive virtual world I ever fell in love with.  You can call it video game dramaticism but honestly seeing this game being developed the way it is makes me hope that it fails so developers can understand you cant take any world and put the tried and true mmo formula of the last 10 years in place and expect immediate success.

An intelligent rebuttal, refreshing. Anyways, I see your point, but I disagree. If you make a solid MMO with great graphics, great gameplay, and an excellent PvP system, it can be an instant success regardless of what universe it's in... That being said, I'd also reiterate my points that

A) ESO does NOT in any way damage the Bethesda games,

and B) It's first and foremost an MMO (that satisfies the DAoC PvP-focused craving) set in the ES Universe AND NOT a normal Bethesda ES game that's getting jammed into an MMO. That would be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and that wouldn't work.

My main point is that it's the MMO fans, the DAoC fans, the EQ fans, etc., that will propel this game into success, NOT the hardcore single-player ES lovers. This game is for the MMO'ers, those who enjoy sneaking up on a real player and stabbing them in the back, or blasting them with magic from afar. It's NOT for people who can spend hours on end fighting robot after robot (but if you can more power to you, that's just not what this game's about).

• GjonGjon Member UncommonPosts: 18

I think what you'll find is that a lot of "hardcre mmo fans" are fed up with recent offerings because they tend to use tried and true methods of gameplay. The initial thought of an Elder Scrolls MMO was exciting becaue of all the little things that you can do in the singleplayer games that set it apart from other offerings in the genre. Then it was announced and people felt a massive letdown when they read the details of what the game would be, sounds like rehashed "safe" ideas and mechanics. 

I'm going to hold off on judging the game until I get a chance to actually play it, but nothing I've read really excites me either. I can get 3 faction pvp elswhere, I can raid elswhere. What exactly is TESO going to offer that I can't get somewhere else? And on top of that, is there going to be a monthly fee? because personally I think I'm done with subscription-based games unless something REALLY blows me away.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I saw all the pictures and felt that they make a wrong decision in choosing the game engines.

The game graphics texture kinda like a 2007 MMO cos of the Hero engines.

Cannot comment on the gameplay as they have not show it yet.

Can anyone link me to any other Hero engines MMO beside SWTOR that have a good gameplay.

By the way SWTOR gameplay suck ass for me ( In my opinion ).

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

To each his own, but from my perspective ES:O looks like a festering turd that needs to be flushed, the kind that leaves your whole house stinking.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

To each his own, but from my perspective ES:O looks like a festering turd that needs to be flushed, the kind that leaves your whole house stinking.

I'm wondering if any of these ESO haters have actually PLAYED DAoC.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

I don't need to play anything to know that they've missed an incredible opportunity to propel variant styles within the genre, and as a fan of the SRPG series for most of my young adult life, I feel betrayed that they've decided to abandon any semblance of uniqueness from the predecessors instead of making something original.

I'm so glad that the themepark crowd gets yet another crappy game to abandon within six months of release, instead of something that might have actually inspired longevity and created attention toward something other than quest hubs, gear grinds, and some instanced PvP.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

OP, I am and will always be a huge DAoC fan, but  TESO won't come close to being anything like DAoC.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

From what I seen and read about the game it does indeed looks like the PvP will be good.

Unfortunatley does the PvE seems to lack a lot and since the other ES games are popular due to their PvE it is not really that strange that people complain.

How well the game will do depends a lot on how well they can get those PvP players to play it, the decision to make ESO like this is rather risky since they more or less screwed over their old playerbase and instead tries to get a new one.

But we do need more MMOs with good PvP so I hope the game is good.

• MerdurMerdur Member UncommonPosts: 27

As stated by JP i am also a MASSIVE DAoC fan, have been since beta. I'm 22 now and i can say this that i have played since beta. I don't play anymore because of the massively imbalanced pvp with spellcasters ruling the field but i can tell you that i have a RR12 scout and a RR12 friar. I will always be a DAoC fan for life and if Mythic were to make DAoC 2.0 i would be on that bandwagon before the announced anything beyond the name, but sadly they won't because EA won't let them.

I WILL NOT be playing TESO because for one i do not like the TES world and it's story(Personal opinion it's just to boring to me). I won't be playing it because they are copying everything that has been done. Atleast Mythic tried new and inventive thing's in Warhammer and didn't just copy paste DAoC into that game. It makes me sad that game developers refuse to take risk's anymore for fear of failure. When i was 10 it was an amazing thing to see something new and inivative in a video game and not just the same old thing. Now everytime i buy a new game it's the same thing with sometimes better polygons a diffrent story and a new game. Look at D3, sadly this game had SO MUCH potential but it is nothing but a rehased D2 with worse graphics(once again opinion here) and a diffrent name. The story isn't even diffrent, it's the same thing from D2. It's very sad that even a company like Blizzard refuses to take risks.

As a side note do not claim Warhammer was DAoC 2.0 because it was not and never will be. If mythic ever wants to make DAoC 2.0 it will not be 2 sides but 3 and will not be based in another's world but in there own.

Originally posted by Loke666

From what I seen and read about the game it does indeed looks like the PvP will be good.

Unfortunatley does the PvE seems to lack a lot and since the other ES games are popular due to their PvE it is not really that strange that people complain.

How well the game will do depends a lot on how well they can get those PvP players to play it, the decision to make ESO like this is rather risky since they more or less screwed over their old playerbase and instead tries to get a new one.

But we do need more MMOs with good PvP so I hope the game is good.

Originally posted by JT

OP, I am and will always be a huge DAoC fan, but  TESO won't come close to being anything like DAoC.

@Loke666 I agree that they took a huge risk making a formerly Single-player only game into a PvP-focused one, but you're right we DESPERATELY need a good PvP-focused MMO, and I think ESO's got what it takes to get the job done. Only the DAoC team TRULY knows how to get it done, and Matt Firor was credited with conceiving most of the RvR style PvP system, so I think he has a shot.

@JT I feel you bro, but I hope your wrong about this. From my part, it looks VERY DAoC-like in nature, especially considering the involvement of the former Mythic members, such as Matt Firor.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

And here lies the crux of your ridiculous issue with the game. What you want (and lets be fair it’s a reasonable desire) is DaoC2 (3?) but because this game so far vaguely hints at some parts being a bit like DaoC3, you see it OK for them to disregard *EVERYTHING* about TES that made TES, well, TES. Well guess what, that’s not cool.

You accuse anyone who is disappointed by the over generic vision set out for TES:O of having no experience in the MMO field. Well guess what, that’s wrong too. Plenty of things about this game shy away from emerging techniques and gameplay, and head towards standard generic MMO territory. I see no visuals that are anything like representative of TES, no gameplay either. I see a whole ton of parallels to the latest greatest flop, SWTOR, instead.

With that said, I have played MMOs since 1998, and every TES game from Daggerfall on day of release. Skyrim was a bit poo, but I’m willing to bet that the hackish multiplayer mod in development for it will be 1000% times better than this POS. And you have *NO* idea how sad that actually makes me.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

While I don't necessarily agree with how the OP has presented their opinion, I am willing to try any MMO game that attempts to follow the DAOC formula (since precious few have). I played through Skyrim and enjoyed it, and while I think a MMO based off the same style of gameplay would be amazing, I'm also open-minded about giving ESO a chance (at least through beta).

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

The day i read, it sits on the Hero engine, was the day i ignored this game.

I just played a great LMMO game with that engine.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by rawfox

The day i read, it sits on the Hero engine, was the day i ignored this game.

I just played a great LMMO game with that engine.

The engine does not make the game what it is.

Tera and Mortal Online are both made with the same engine.  explain to me how someone could examine Mortal Online and predict the shortcomings and successes of Tera Online.  That is ludicrous.

This discussion has been closed.