Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard underestimated the gold AH

FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

A blue has posted that they wanted people to level up blacksmithing to help gear them for Inferno.  They didn't expect it to be much cheaper for people to gear up by just using the gold AH.  Now that they nerfed the Wizard and Demon Hunter, maybe the Inferno gear will be harder to find on the AH.  As a Barb I've only used the gold AH to occasionally buy a 1H weapon or shield upgrade but it was enough to get me to the end of Hell.  I'm sure I'd be further behind if I only used items I found or made with the BS.

At this point I'm tempted to only use gear I find or make to prolongue the life of the game for myself.

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

A blue has posted that they wanted people to level up blacksmithing to help gear them for Inferno.  They didn't expect it to be much cheaper for people to gear up by just using the gold AH.  Now that they nerfed the Wizard and Demon Hunter, maybe the Inferno gear will be harder to find on the AH.  As a Barb I've only used the gold AH to occasionally buy a 1H weapon or shield upgrade but it was enough to get me to the end of Hell.  I'm sure I'd be further behind if I only used items I found or made with the BS.

At this point I'm tempted to only use gear I find or make to prolongue the life of the game for myself.

As a barb I used the AH to stack a ridiculous amount of STR gear.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I only play Hardcore so stacking DPS stat isn't an option...

But I can say the AH has been extremely helpful while the BS is a huge pile of garbage.  I had 4 rows (1000's) of crafting materials saved up and decided to try my luck on some gear.  After filling my inventory and burning over 300k in gold attempting to get good gear I gave up.  The random chance is just terrible and the level requirements on the gear is also bad.

I only ever see the BS being useful for the patterns that produce a fixed item or item set.  Maybe then it will be useful?

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I like the gold ah. Saves me the time of having to grind for gear forever. I haven't used it a whole lot, but the way I see it I'm farming my inferno gear right now. I happen to make a lot of gold as a side effect.

If I am missing a piece that I just can't find I can grab it.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

The truth of the matter is Blizz is scurrying to find a way to nerf the gold AH so there will be an actual reason for the RMT AH.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

When you get to 60 and try to gear your Barb for inferno, you notice one good piece of equipment costs millions of gold easily. If you feel like sitting on AH and waiting for some better priced stuff, you can also notice those are gone in seconds. If it goes like this the good stuff will only rise in price, even more so when more people get up to 60 buying gear and even more so when people start buying stuff for RL money. Also the nerfs you mentioned.

More people at 60 farming will negate this but I dunno how much personaly.

There's a shitload of mediocre stuff with mediocre prices but I don't know who wants that.

That may put crating into better perspective - soon.

Edit: Also what poster before me mentioned is completely spot on, Blizz will want to earn money and they will earn more if gold AH prices skyrocket, making gear purchase for RL money more appealing.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Painlezz

I only play Hardcore so stacking DPS stat isn't an option...

But I can say the AH has been extremely helpful while the BS is a huge pile of garbage.  I had 4 rows (1000's) of crafting materials saved up and decided to try my luck on some gear.  After filling my inventory and burning over 300k in gold attempting to get good gear I gave up.  The random chance is just terrible and the level requirements on the gear is also bad.

I only ever see the BS being useful for the patterns that produce a fixed item or item set.  Maybe then it will be useful?

Yeah same for me, i really dislike the crafting right now. It costs so much for such crap ass results. 

After reading the first post it made me laugh, i didnt even realize it was actually that bad. It makes sense too. It also made me think thats why they delayed the real money auction house even longer, so they have time to set it up for the real money auction house to actually matter.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

I picked this would be the case right from the beginning, hence I have a lvl 60 barb and a lvl 1 blacksmith I have not even opened the window for. The non binding gear system that D3 uses means that gear saturation is inevitable and you will always find something better for cheaper, without the gamble, on the AH.

• DodgefighterDodgefighter Member Posts: 8

Anyway i think crafting is retarded. As a barb i need str, however you produce random stats all i ever craft is intelligence gear..... useless

All war is deception - Sun Tzu

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

The only thing i see being traded on the RMT broker is gold and maybe extremely rare gear. Nothing is binding and no items are permanently removed from the game. It will be hard to put a price on individual items but gold will be hit a stable price.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by eyeswideopen

The truth of the matter is Blizz is scurrying to find a way to nerf the gold AH so there will be an actual reason for the RMT AH.

THIS....

Inferno bosses already have enrage timers (wow trash feature). When you survive till a enrage kicks in it is basically the system telling you.. "Go buy better stuff on the AH your dps is to low". If we can get all the gear through trading or from the gold AH then their rl money auction is worthless.

I also feel this is the reason they removed the ability to make custom games. No more "SOJ 4 WF", etc to be found. Have to do all your trading on the forums.

I seriously question the longevity of this game.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

THIS....

Inferno bosses already have enrage timers (wow trash feature). When you survive till a enrage kicks in it is basically the system telling you.. "Go buy better stuff on the AH your dps is to low". If we can get all the gear through trading or from the gold AH then their rl money auction is worthless.

I also feel this is the reason they removed the ability to make custom games. No more "SOJ 4 WF", etc to be found. Have to do all your trading on the forums.

I really wonder if the RMAH is going to work at all. I mean the amount of legendary gear on the gold ah already is nuts. Why would anyone waste any real money when there ends up being so many of the same item on the gold ah that the price gets lower and lower? For instance, I looked at wands the other day for my wizard. There must have been about five fucking pages just for one legendary wand called Starfire alone. And the game has only been out for how long now? Simply insane.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AuxiliaryAuxiliary Member Posts: 90

The prices of said legendaries or rares are all very high though.

I hit 60 on my monk a few days ago and got a 53 witchdoctor, but I only got 400k of gold. Yet when I want to buy upgrades for my monk, the minimum amount for a decent (not great) item is 300k.  Getting the amount of resistance that I need to survive in act II is just retardly expensive and hard. Stacking 1 resist and using One With Everything makes it a little cheaper, but it still costs 300k+ per item.

Since I only make about 300k per evening, this means I will have to farm act I for ages, but it isn't exactly my favorite act.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I am playing on normal mode will I need any items off the AH or can I just play with what drops ?

Chamber of Chains
  • CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

THIS....

I really wonder if the RMAH is going to work at all. I mean the amount of legendary gear on the gold ah already is nuts. Why would anyone waste any real money when there ends up being so many of the same item on the gold ah that the price gets lower and lower? For instance, I looked at wands the other day for my wizard. There must have been about five fucking pages just for one legendary wand called Starfire alone. And the game has only been out for how long now? Simply insane.

Well to be honest, not all Starfire's are created equally.

The one I dropped had 46 Intelligence. The one I bought had 115. Huge DPS difference. Mine sold for 63k. I paid 128k for my good one.

Alexis

*smiles*

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Don't worry, Blizzard will come up with idea that'll make the RMT-auction lot more enticing over the gold-auction!

They want your money, ain't nothing else they care for.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by cheyane

I am playing on normal mode will I need any items off the AH or can I just play with what drops ?

You won't need anything from the AH, ever! Just play the game, forget the auction.. consider it as "cheating" and you'll do just fine!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Cailieg

Well to be honest, not all Starfire's are created equally.

The one I dropped had 46 Intelligence. The one I bought had 115. Huge DPS difference. Mine sold for 63k. I paid 128k for my good one.

Alexis

*smiles*

Yeah, I get that but my point is when you have so many of an item available regardless if they're not all the same it just seems dubious as to how worthwhile the RMAH is going to be when it goes live. Not that it is a dealbreaker for me. I'm just interested to see how it is going to play out after the initial curiosity fizzles out.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Dodgefighter

Anyway i think crafting is retarded. As a barb i need str, however you produce random stats all i ever craft is intelligence gear..... useless

I'm glad I'm not the only barb who can only make int or dex gear. I get the RNG concept but honestly, I get hosed. I've been working on a chest piece for a while now. I've made 7, yes, 7, rare chest pieces, all of them were dex or int.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

This QFT!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by cheyane

You can play up to inferno without using the gold AH. It is all about how lucky you get with the item drops.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

A blue has posted that they wanted people to level up blacksmithing to help gear them for Inferno.  They didn't expect it to be much cheaper for people to gear up by just using the gold AH.  Now that they nerfed the Wizard and Demon Hunter, maybe the Inferno gear will be harder to find on the AH.  As a Barb I've only used the gold AH to occasionally buy a 1H weapon or shield upgrade but it was enough to get me to the end of Hell.  I'm sure I'd be further behind if I only used items I found or made with the BS. At this point I'm tempted to only use gear I find or make to prolongue the life of the game for myself. 

It wasn't something I thought would happen, but after listening to a couple people talk about it, it seems obvious (hindsight and all that). You have 6 million people playing the game, and they all have access to a single AH. If even a half million are posting items to the auction house, you could easily feed enough items in there for everyone to buy something they want, and there's enough duplication of items in the AH that the price is going to drop dramatically as people undercut each other.

The scale of the auction house and the items posted is staggering. You can be very specific about what you want and still get pages of results. It's crazy.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Thank you for the reply. I got an orange drop from the skeleton king and it was a monk item which was what I was.

Chamber of Chains
  • NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Dodgefighter

I agree the crafting never makes anything good unless it is a Rare crafted item. Still I often have to spend so much on it to get the right stats it is rediculous.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Star Wars The Old Republic
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173

I disagree with the arguement they are trying to nerf the Gold AH so people will use the RM AH frankly I and many others would NEVER pay real money for a virtual item. I might be willing to sell stuff to people who would buy such things, but I never will. I guess my point is no matter what some people will either only use the gold AH or none at all. I also think Blizzard realizes that.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II