Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best Video Game series of all time

Comments

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Gothic

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Fifa

http://www.t3.com/news/fifa-named-best-video-game-series-of-all-time

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/picture-galleries/8629945/The-10-best-video-game-series-of-all-time.html

If we are going by sales then that would be held by Mario with 450million worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Now if your asking what people think is the best then you are asking a very subjective question.  But my personal favourite series was Mechwarrior.

• nilsangawennilsangawen Member Posts: 6

Elder Scrolls

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Chose the Mario franchise simply for the overall quality (of course there will be individual exceptions) and variety of titles. As for RPGs I'd definitely go with the Final Fantasy series. Nice thread, OP.

• viturinoviturino Member Posts: 7

Chrono Cross

Chrono Trigger

Breath of Fire

Legend of Legaia

Final Fantasy

The Legend of Zelda

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

For me it's gotta be Baldur's Gate. I don't think any other series even comes close, especially if you're an old-school PnP gamer.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

WoW 

Madden

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Don't know whether you could call 2 a series but I didn't think I could get into a game like I did with Baldur's gate....then the second one, Shadows of Amn, came out and blew the first one out of the water. However, at that time there was nothing as close to a paper and dice RPG format so it was a lot easier to impress.  Nowadays we've been overdosed with a gzillion wows, rifts and Guild wars that are amazing at face value but somehow lack the the same 'life' that those original frontier RPG games had. Ofc, that could just be because I'm older, less easily impressed and more cynical ;-)

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Metroid series > all
    Mario sonic street fighter zelda resident evil castlevania and virtua fighter are all tied for second haha

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Ultima trumps Wizardry, I suppose, but just barely.  We'll see how the mmo turns out.

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124

SSI gold box series

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Might & Magic the RPG series  " Not the crappy Heroes of Might & Magic"

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

ZORK I, II & III...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Final Fantasy I-IX and XI all the others sucked. Its my favorite series for a long time with Mass Effect coming in a very close second.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

For me:

-Baldurs Gate

-Fallout (bar Fallout 3 and Fallout tactics)

-The Elder Scrolls

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Lukain

Might & Magic the RPG series  " Not the crappy Heroes of Might & Magic"

I recently Got Might and Magic 7 on GoG, It had been a while since I had played it. Having fun with it although the interface felt weird at first, had to change a few things around, hehe. It is funny how the interface felt fine the first time I played it but feels weird 10 years later. Still a great game.

• pasiakent8pasiakent8 Member Posts: 5

Diablo 3 ! Great.

• DeldorDeldor Member UncommonPosts: 51

For me:

- Baldur's Gate

- Civilization

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

For me, the best game series of all time, right now, is the Elder Scrolls series.  It's been going since the 1990s and has only grown in popularity over the years.  It's also the last, long running RPG series that hasn't been taken to the gutters.  The last, long running RPG series that still have the same developing company... may not necessarily be exact same devs from, say, Daggerfall, but key people from the old days are still there.  The same company making RPGs their way over the years.

Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim.  I've gotten them as well as their proper expansions and got alot of enjoyment from them.

I've had some other video game franchises that I really used to love from years ago.  But they're dead now due to them being forgotten by the companies that own them, or the dev teams have changed their direction to make the sequels completely alien to their predecessors.

Battlefield series by DICE comes readily to mind.  BF3 is nowhere near like BF1942, BF2, BF2142.  Sure, you can have infantry and vehicles, both air and ground, all in the same map, and same game.  But the maps have gotten smaller, and team play elements have been outright nerfed or deleted.  You have DICE now making strides to make BF more like COD.  Like them putting in soon a premium service like MW3.  The funny part with that move, is that I remember that before BF3 was being released, DICE/EA was criticizing Activision for having such a service for MW3, and that everyone playing BF3 will get the same content, just like previously with BF2, BF2142.  Buy a booster pack, that was it.  Now they're backtracking and further trying to make BF into COD-lite.  Again, nevermind DICE had been nerfing teamplay with BF3 with tiny squads, poor order system, and the outright deletion of the Commander role.  Or not fixing outright exploits and flaws.

Too bad.  I used to adore the BF series, and I did look forward to BF3's release and for DICE to continue the tradition of the TRUE Battlefield bloodline, not some Bad Company side-job, or to my shock, a poorcopy cat of COD mechanics.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

No half life OP, really? those games were groundbreaking titles.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by soulmirror

SSI gold box series

+1, SSI products in general were awesome

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Aquazen
    Originally posted by soulmirror

SSI gold box series

+1, SSI products in general were awesome

Panzer General series, esp. I & II, were my favorites from SSI.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

*thinks of game series that he has purchased all or most of the entries

*hastily jots down notes in no particular order

Suikoden

Diablo

Kingdom Hearts

Castelvania

Ogre Battle

Warcraft

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Old school? I would learn towards all the Cinemaware games back in the late 80's - TV Sports Football, Defender of the Crown, Sinbad, TV Sports Basketball, King of Chicago, Rocket Ranger, etc.

I had these games for my Amiga, and played them constantly. WAY ahead of their times.....

Next would be the SSI games like others have posted.

Toss in the Bards Tale series and then of course the Ultima series - ending with one of the best games of all times, Ultima Online.

New school its really hard to tell. The market is so huge and diverse. I know the FPS series have done really well, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Modern Warfare etc. Those all seem to spotlight and draw huge sells on releases.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Pong. Its the most elegant and simplistic of all games.

Other than that i would have to say doom. Doom was really a big thing.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development