Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was the MMO that you loved despite a low review score?

2»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Rikus25

Without a doubt SWG - PreNGE. best game ever!

SWG preNGE had bad reviews?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I can't believe I'm the first person to mention it, but.... Tabula Rasa.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

hahaha... wow! I totally forgot about that one...

It wasn't my first, but I think I can say it was one of the worst mmo's I've ever played (no offence buddy). After playing NCsoft's GW I figured NCsoft's Tabula Rasa would be just as good... boy was I wrong! :-)

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Tabula Rasa was an NCsoft game. (Destination Games, R.I.P.)

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

Tabula Rasa was an NCsoft game. (Destination Games, R.I.P.)

You're right! I meant to say NCsoft, not Anet...

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

Darkfall for sure !!!

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Shadowbane. 

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

Aion and FFXIV atm. I played both in the beta faze until shortly after launch.  Aion got a better now that it's ftp and FFXIV feels like a completely different game after taking a year hiatus.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Mortal Online, still love it and still playing.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by joocheese

It wasn't my first, but I think I can say it was one of the worst mmo's I've ever played (no offence buddy). After playing NCsoft's GW I figured NCsoft's Tabula Rasa would be just as good... boy was I wrong! :-)

It definitely had its issues, but it was at the time one of the first MMOs to do more open, public quests. The monsters taking over areas on the map and forcing people to take them out and protect strategic points from invasion was a blast. I had for it the same feeling I have now for TSW, that it needed work but had a lot of potential.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

What do you consider a "low review score"?  On this site the average score is ~7.3.  Sounds like we're being too nice but I digress.

Based on that criteria I don't see any games I like with a lower than average score.  As a matter of fact, I've never heard of most of them.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by joocheese

It definitely had its issues, but it was at the time one of the first MMOs to do more open, public quests. The monsters taking over areas on the map and forcing people to take them out and protect strategic points from invasion was a blast. I had for it the same feeling I have now for TSW, that it needed work but had a lot of potential.

I completely agree! That's why I bought it when it came out. After playing it though, I was very dissapointed :-(

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I'm actually shocked no one mentioned this already unless I missed it but...

Ultima Online!

59% on metacritic baby.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

Earth & Beyond and Auto Assualt, both these games where alot of fun for me.

Godz of War I call Thee

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

World War 2 online ( wwiionline ) - This was a very ambitious game that simply lacked funding to reach the graphical polish people had/have come to expect.

What is did well :  

Scale - it was simply awesome having to take the landscape seriously, you wouldn't dream of taking the next town without a ride in a truck, tank etc. and Flying to your mission took time and you had to keep a look out for enemy planes and FLAK guns on the ground. A genuine MMO experience.

Gameplay : there were very few NPC's and they were only there to guard towns and points to give players a chance to turn up to defend. Much like a keep/point in GW2 WvW. So 99% of everyone around you was a real person.

Authenticity : A huge part of Rat S effort was in detailed damage models and physics, which could affect vehicles in many different ways. Sounds were very good and authentic and to the trained ear you could tell what different tanks and vehicles were manouvering around you  -even if you couldn't see them through the tree's/buildings.

Community : was really good and I had a great time chatting to people, often in tank and vehicle  groups or in a squad of soldiers.

What it lacked :

Graphics polish on par with other games of the time -  simply a lack of money to hire more artists and optimize for higher levels. But it was enough to have a good time.

Early on it lacked the ability to leave vehicles ( not sure how much this has changed ) - this was a conscious strategy balancing decision.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by dave6660

What do you consider a "low review score"?  On this site the average score is ~7.3.  Sounds like we're being too nice but I digress.

Based on that criteria I don't see any games I like with a lower than average score.  As a matter of fact, I've never heard of most of them.

I equate 7.5 to OK but below a 7 is when it is "bad".

Neocron, loved that game so much... 65 on ign and they tend to rate higher than other sites

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

SWG and FFXI, my first 2 MMORPGs and they sucked me into the genre and I've been stuck happily in it ever since. 

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

APB...

APB Reloaded was also fun until they basically made premium a requirement.  I decided to quit when I was barely breaking even on missions after buying ammo.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Matrix Online.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

SWG of course 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Tabula Rasa, for sure. Attacking and defending bases was so much fun. It's a shame NCSoft pulled the plug just as the devs finally worked out most of the kinks.

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Tabula Rasa, for sure. Attacking and defending bases was so much fun. It's a shame NCSoft pulled the plug just as the devs finally worked out most of the kinks.

It was too little too late. When you're a publisher of games, you got to stick with what sells and move on from what doesn't. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Richard Garriott and NCsoft did not always see eye to eye; I think he sued NCsoft.