Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: 6.3 Million and Rising

Comments

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337
    Originally posted by uohaloran
    Originally posted by Vutar

More interesting would be to see the number of people who continued playing it after the first hour of play. Everyone I know except one person uninstalled the game very quickly. The one guy who kept playing it is a diehard diablo fan who was still playing D2 on and off before D3's release.

That's an incredibly odd scenario.  People going into Diablo 3 know full and well what kind of game it is and what it was going to be by the previews and the inherent trait that it's a hack-and-slash RPG.

Why anyone who doesn't like loot centric clickfests would even buy Diablo 3 is beyond me.  Moreover, I guess you know some pretty quirky people.

I bought it thinking it would represent a 10+ years advancement over D2, whilst still maintaining the style and 'feel' of the original games. I got the later - the style and feel - but all wrapped-up in a game that looks like it should have been released in 2003.

I was a total D2 addict but I can't see the mass appeal of this lasting for more than a few months. Maybe time has jaded me, or maybe my dogshit detector is fully operational and it's telling me I've just bought a crusty white turd of a game.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

More interesting would be to see the number of people who continued playing it after the first hour of play. Everyone I know except one person uninstalled the game very quickly. The one guy who kept playing it is a diehard diablo fan who was still playing D2 on and off before D3's release.

LOL @ everyone you know, except that "one person".

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

This so much. A friend of mine kept ASKING on why he could not "launch the game" while offline and genuinely could not understand what "always online drm" means, continously repeating that "but its a singleplayer game...".

A lot of people who bought it were unaware of what they are buying into. They expected diablo. They got World of Warcraft  reskin on isometric perspective. 

Those who were somewhat happy with that got driven away by error 37 and constnat lags. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

I'm playing D3, and I love it. Very entertaining game!

Originally posted by Resiakraw
    Yeah it is pretty amusing. I remember when stuff started coming out about DRM from Ubisoft and this forum was filled with nothing but rage and absolute hate for Ubisoft. I dont remember a single person actually defending Ubisoft over it. Now Blizzard does it and its the complete opposite, not only do people accept it but they actively defend and try to justify it.

My favorite has got to be:

1. "hey it has always been online game and no one played singleplayer anyway so they removed stuff no one wanted!!111oneone   (yeah except that I will never believe that all the millions who bought it, played it solely online.)
    2. "hurr durr we all are always connected to the internet anyway"  (except when traveling in a train, or plane, or in the mountains, or in the farm, or camping, or when blizz servers are down, or when your isp is tripping hard.)
    3. "Blizz is awesome for adding it because it prevents Piracy and hacking! No one will ever hack this game now! NO ONE!" (cue the security fiasco of this week)
    4. "They could not make the game singleplayer because they built it multiplayer!"  (mr.obvious strikes again, I guess? why did they not build it singleplayer then? Auction house.)
    5. "give Blizzard a break! they will fix stuff!"  (I am sorry but blizz ran out of "breaks" after they took 10 years to release this mediocrity)

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• NevereveNNevereveN Member UncommonPosts: 11

Diablo 3 scored 9.5 from IGN, lets be honest even if D3 now was in another IP it would still be 9.5. Fact.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

I don't believe you for a second.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

lol same if you enjoy these type of games I see no reason why you would dislike this game and if you bought it and hate these types of games well then that's your own fault. Just starting Act 3 now monk is a ton of fun... everyone I know who is die hard diablo fans have not stopped playing this so go figure:) also if your so called die hard diablo fan was actually one he would of played the beta and knew what the game was about before buying it. Unless of course they are some that got it free from the warcraft thing:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

lol same if you enjoy these type of games I see no reason why you would dislike this game and if you bought it and hate these types of games well then that's your own fault. 

Because it is NOT the same kind of game as "these types of games"? Its heavily MMO-ized. They got rid of important stuff like skillpoints and statpoints. They essentially mmoized the item system too.  Its not a diablo-like game. Its part diablo-like and part wow-like now.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Just love the logic that posters on this website have, remember other games that had huge initial sales, yeah that should teach you all that sales =/= quality. The content matters big time. I can tell you from personal experience that D3 compared to D2 is a shell of it's former glory. I have it, and i've played TL2 the beta, D3 was obviously made (content only) by hirelings that Blizz brought in to try to capture the nostalgia of the game. D2 and TL2 is far superior. The problem with D3 aside from the obvious 2 (RMAH and Persistant online play) is that they didn't add enough side content, randomization is what made D2 the game it was, it was replayable over and over, and aside from the occasional tiny porthole of a dungeon where you may or may not find treasure, this game really doesn't have what D2 had in content and it's disappointing that they took 12 years and this is what they come up with. 

Originally posted by Yuui
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

lol same if you enjoy these type of games I see no reason why you would dislike this game and if you bought it and hate these types of games well then that's your own fault. 

Because it is NOT the same kind of game as "these types of games"? Its heavily MMO-ized. They got rid of important stuff like skillpoints and statpoints. They essentially mmoized the item system too.  Its not a diablo-like game. Its part diablo-like and part wow-like now.

if you say so.. I don't put much weight into single player games since I'm not the type to do everything and get everything from them.. I play to enjoy the gameplay and or story and move on.. MMOs are what I put my main time into. I haven't played D2 in probably a decade but it plays very similar to me and is as addicting so I'm happy

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I played Diablo 2 for 5 1/2 years and D3 is far superior.  I miss the chat lobbies tho, i hope they bring that in at some point.

Anybody that says D3 is anything like WoW is one of the stupidest people on the planet.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

I really don't see what is so great about D3. I played the heck out of Diablo 2 when it first came out. A friend gave me a D3 guess pass and I tried it out this past week. I guess it is just me but the same old gameplay I played 12 years ago is now boring to me.

Originally posted by AlienShirt

I really don't see what is so great about D3. I played the heck out of Diablo 2 when it first came out. A friend gave me a D3 guess pass and I tried it out this past week. I guess it is just me but the same old gameplay I played 12 years ago is now boring to me.

familiar sounding story around this website:)

• mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Very high sales number! Im not really surprised with their mass marketing, and the blizzard stamp on it it was destined to sell high.

I've play the original/d2 for some good time back in my highschool days. D3 in general is a disappointment for me probably because I feel like I've outgrown that genre. When you evolved into more faster pace action like devil may cry, omimusha, fury(pc action game anyone remember this?), ect. D3 just feel like it's taken several step back. 

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by archer75
    Originally posted by cscurlock
    Originally posted by archer75

I really don't get it.  I beta tested the game for months and just don't see the appeal.  It's a glorified clickfest on rails.  

Clearly i'm in the minority on this. 

My question to you is did you play either of the first 2?  Cause if you didn't then you have a valid question.  A first time player to this franchise would say something like this. 

Currently in nightmare working towards hell.  Normal mode you are there for the story after that its just about loot, challenge and whatever random quests you might not have seen before.  I've always loved this franchise.  This one has not disappointed.

No, I did not play the first two.  They just didn't look interesting to me.  I did play Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights and various other similar D&D titles back then.  I enjoyed the crap out of those.   They seemed....deeper.   Whereas Diablo strikes me as meaningless hack n slash.  Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're after.   I guess with all the hype and development time I was expecting something more. 

I think we were all expecting more. What we got was one of the most polished hack n' slash games on the market. Regardless of any lag taking place, etc..etc..

Do I wish it had a bit more to it after taking so mother ******* long to develop? Yes.

Do I think it's a horrible game? Not by a long stretch.

I'm sure it could be said I'm looking for a different game then, much as the poster above prefers Neverwinter and Baldur's Gate.

I just think it could have had a little more ooomph to it.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Coolit

It's really no surprise considering they gave a free copy away with a wow subscription if you signed up for 12 months gametime.

My fiends still play wow and were saying just the other night on vent that most of the people on their in-game friends list are playing Diablo as in 90% of them. I'd be interested to see the wow figures over the same period as I expect most of them will have migrated from wow to diablo and will stay there until MOP launches.

Actually, the 6.3 numbers DO NOT include WoW Annual Pass (1.2 million more) or the people in Asian territories playing it via cafes. Insane, I know.

@Nadia - On the right track, but read the press release again. That 6.3 is JUST people who bought it through traditional means. I mean, holy CRAP. Even analysts undershot this one's pull. It's no wonder the servers crapped out.

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that as of the first 24 hours of Diablo® III's release, more than 3.5 million copies had been sold, setting the new all-time record for fastest-selling PC game.* That number does not include the more than 1.2 million players who received Diablo III as part of signing up for the World of Warcraft® Annual Pass promotion. Altogether, more than 4.7 million gamers around the world were poised to storm Sanctuary on day 1 of Diablo III's release -- representing the biggest PC-game launch in history.

As of the first week of the game's availability, that number had already grown to more than 6.3 million.* The above figures also do not include players in Korean Internet game rooms, where Diablo III has become the top-played game, achieving a record share of more than 39% as of May 22.

First - The 1.2 millon is said to be excluded from the 3.5 million not the 6.5 million.

Secondly - The 1.2 million was stated to be included in the initial 3.5 million, they are now trying to retract that so ..... not sure what to think here.

Thirdly - It's Blizzard lol, numbers presented by them being accurate is a hard pill for me to swallow.

I will say this though, it seems the game was directed at the WoW crowd to hold them over until MoP. This should bode very well for sales numbers. I may not like the game, but you got to respect the marketing and business skills. It should make a significant return on the initial investment which it likely already has.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Chrome1980
    Originally posted by Chrome1980
    Originally posted by thekid1
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I dont get it personally.  How does a game D3 get so many box sales and awesome games with way more meat barely register on anyones minds or playlist.

Marketing through game websites.

Look how much articles this website already made about Diablo 3.

Not to mention all the other little facts, like

ROFL...... ;)

Bought reviews have been factually proven by more than one incident.

Blizz fanbois and apologists also have a factual evidence of existing. 

The fact that D3 was not made by same developer team is also not something the general public knows or ha da way of knowing, as proven by both their reactions to Torchlight and comments on Diablo 3.

Please try to argue over the obvious truth that D3 is biggest target of gold sellers and hackers in last few years. Please do. The Account Hacking incident this week that was a huge fiasco on Blizz's part just reinforces it. 

The last point is pretty much supported by marketing theory.

So yeah. Facts.

Sure whatever you say..you think you are the first one to pass opinions as facts? honestly, i enjoyed the game a lot and i am one of those gamers who missed out on original game and the sequel. So i am far from fanboy.

But still i can't help but feel sorry for people like you..trying so hard to piss on the succes of D3, but it is like pissing in the wind..only you are going to get wet.

From how you talk, you do not really get on what a "fact" and what an "opinion" is

Opinion would be saying that Diablocraft III is an awfully mediocre game made purely as an excuse for RMT trading and the cuts blizz will get from it.  Thats debatable and can be supported or refuted with arguments. 

The fact that Diablo 3's sales are built up upon the misinformation, hype and marketing is not an opinion. Its a fact supported by factual evidence.  Thats not debatable. 

Also just a note but your second paragraph invalidates the conclusion of  first. :)

So you said the sales are built upon misinformation supported by factual evidence. Source?

You said Blizzard bought reviews and its supported by evidence. Source?

Its true that the same individuals that made the original Diablo (and the not entirely same people) that made Diable2 didn't make Diablo 3. Whats your point?

You then state that D3 is the target of gold sellers and hackers. What does Blizzard have to do with that? Thats like blaming Microsoft for being the biggest target of real hackers that actually ruin peoples lives and damage companies.

Your bulleted points in a previous post is severely lacking in any facts as well. Other than point 6 which is true for any succesful game (and is by no means a negative).

If you want to spout off using the words "facts" and "evidence" you need to be prepared to provide these facts and evidence or sources. If not, then you are no better than a troll.

• soulfly205soulfly205 Member Posts: 32

great now take that 378million dollars and improve the game

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

It's really no surprise considering they gave a free copy away with a wow subscription if you signed up for 12 months gametime.

My fiends still play wow and were saying just the other night on vent that most of the people on their in-game friends list are playing Diablo as in 90% of them. I'd be interested to see the wow figures over the same period as I expect most of them will have migrated from wow to diablo and will stay there until MOP launches.

I forgot about that.  It would be interesting to know.

Personally, I don't get the D3 hype.  It's looks like the same isometric action-RPG from 10 years ago with slightly better graphics.  Diablo looks like a clone of itself and with F2P and $20 action-RPG alternatives ... seems kind silly to buy D2.5 for $60.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Originally posted by HurricanePip

I forgot about that.  It would be interesting to know.

Personally, I don't get the D3 hype.  It's looks like the same isometric action-RPG from 10 years ago with slightly better graphics.  Diablo looks like a clone of itself and with F2P and $20 action-RPG alternatives ... seems kind silly to buy D2.5 for $60.

i guess maybe most people don't care about graphic styles as much as posters here do?  look how popular minecraft is.

ive never had a problem with the isometric view i actually really like it,  i can barely stand all the first person view games..gives me headaches.

i personally like more stylized graphics then realistic...although i do love skyrims graphics..but too many games that go for realism end up making it look bad and i can't stand it lol.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I'm not surprised...  I have very few friends who are gamers yet I know several people playing Diablo 3, which is several more than I have ever known to play pretty much anything.

I have been playing and it is a good game, very similar to D2, and high quality for what it is.  In my opinion, the high #'s reflect its marketing more than its quality, but Blizzard still 'has it'.

I don't like what WoW has done to the MMO genre but I am a fan of Blizzard and have played all their games (aside from WoW expansions).

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by dronfwar

ahh pffffffff

FarmVille Surpasses 80 Million Users

lolz....farmwhat?? must be some facebook "game" i presume?

Facebook games aint even games....

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by clankyasp

[email protected] this.

idd.....^^this^^