Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: 6.3 Million and Rising

Comments

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Well, the game deserves all the numbers it can get. Loving every minute of it since '96 :)

• maskmurdamaskmurda Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Chrome1980
    Originally posted by maskmurda

Blizzard sells names. I'm not a fan of the genre, but hell all the crap that they put in this game I don't know how people can play it. Online only single player and RMA are reason enough for me not to play this game. People will always have their opinions but reall this game isn't all that great and it's just selling because of the blizzard title attach to it. Sooner or later that card is gonna get pulled, but I highly doubt it with our market not demanding quality any more and accepting what ever crap is thrown at them.

Exactly, just like you have yours so there is no really or truely when it comes to personal opinions. People have been using this line 'Blizzard's name is attached to it so it sells' for how many years now? if it was true that Blizzard makes crap games and they somehow managed to sell games only by using their name, don't you think after all these years they would have milked that option by now?

why the hell would people keep buying Blizzard games if what you said was true? they can fool you once or twice with their name but not everytime.

My suggestion??give up, Blizzard makes fun games which are high in quality, that is why their game sells like hot cakes.

That cake is a lie. People will always have their opinions because those without opinions can't view a game for what it really is and not sound like some fan boy defending a crap company. Depending on who they areattracting because as always, I can't speak for others who are impressed by it, the game in it self only sells because Blizzard is making it. But just like Cataclysm, it's a rushed game with core features that take advantage of people and masquerade as a quality game. If this game was released by Blizzard before their merger with Activision, it would be a completely diffrent game. But if you wanna overlook how they are laughing at their so called "loyal fans" by milking them by releasing a "high quality" with a real money auction house and a online only single player.  COD is the same crap each year but people still buy it because of familiarity and thats the same reason people buy Blizzard games. People buy the brand because of the name they created, not the quality of games they put out.

• cscurlockcscurlock Member Posts: 38

Blizzard sells names. I'm not a fan of the genre, but hell all the crap that they put in this game I don't know how people can play it. Online only single player and RMA are reason enough for me not to play this game. People will always have their opinions but reall this game isn't all that great and it's just selling because of the blizzard title attach to it. Sooner or later that card is gonna get pulled, but I highly doubt it with our market not demanding quality any more and accepting what ever crap is thrown at them.

Exactly, just like you have yours so there is no really or truely when it comes to personal opinions. People have been using this line 'Blizzard's name is attached to it so it sells' for how many years now? if it was true that Blizzard makes crap games and they somehow managed to sell games only by using their name, don't you think after all these years they would have milked that option by now?

why the hell would people keep buying Blizzard games if what you said was true? they can fool you once or twice with their name but not everytime.

My suggestion??give up, Blizzard makes fun games which are high in quality, that is why their game sells like hot cakes.

That cake is a lie. People will always have their opinions because those without opinions can't view a game for what it really is and not sound like some fan boy defending a crap company. Depending on who they areattracting because as always, I can't speak for others who are impressed by it, the game in it self only sells because Blizzard is making it. But just like Cataclysm, it's a rushed game with core features that take advantage of people and masquerade as a quality game. If this game was released by Blizzard before their merger with Activision, it would be a completely diffrent game. But if you wanna overlook how they are laughing at their so called "loyal fans" by milking them by releasing a "high quality" with a real money auction house and a online only single player.  COD is the same crap each year but people still buy it because of familiarity and thats the same reason people buy Blizzard games. People buy the brand because of the name they created, not the quality of games they put out.

So did you play Diablo 3 or did you not?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I dont get it personally.  How does a game D3 get so many box sales and awesome games with way more meat barely register on anyones minds or playlist.

It's quite simple really. There was so much hype surrounding development and release of Diablo III than most people just got sucked into it. A few months before D3's release it was literally pasted all over the internet. Everyone and their mother knew about it.

The game had a great marketing campaign the likes of which which most publishers and developers either can't or are not willing to afford and it payed off. Good for Blizzard, bad for us. Why bad for us? Because  D3's success basically shows publishers that always online and RMT in a single player game is acceptable if you present it in a certain way.

Edit: it would be nice to see the numbers of active players about a month or so from now. There is no doubt that D3 is financially successful but is it successful as a game?

• mindsplitmindsplit Member UncommonPosts: 31

I am ashamed because i bought it.

Error Error Error

• jdreamjdream Member UncommonPosts: 80

insane numbers.....

but I hate this game

too much fun and I already addicted ;(

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Haters gonna hate. You cannot please all of the people all of the time.

FACT D3 is a massive success all things considered, don't understand why ppl are trying to dispute ths.
  • LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

lol i played till after the skeleton king and thats were i stoped... just no fun for me.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by heartless

I dont get it personally.  How does a game D3 get so many box sales and awesome games with way more meat barely register on anyones minds or playlist.

It's quite simple really. There was so much hype surrounding development and release of Diablo III than most people just got sucked into it. A few months before D3's release it was literally pasted all over the internet. Everyone and their mother knew about it.

The game had a great marketing campaign the likes of which which most publishers and developers either can't or are not willing to afford and it payed off. Good for Blizzard, bad for us. Why bad for us? Because  D3's success basically shows publishers that always online and RMT in a single player game is acceptable if you present it in a certain way.

Edit: it would be nice to see the numbers of active players about a month or so from now. There is no doubt that D3 is financially successful but is it successful as a game?

What is hilarious though is that PEOPLE ARE MAKING EXCUSES FOR BLIZZ. 

Excuses for DRM, excuses for streamlining of skill and stat systems, excusing for RMT auction house and etc. Through last week or so I heard some of the MOST outlandish excuses for it possible.

That is the scary thing. That company like Blizzard can get away with most outrageous and most underhanded business practices just because they sugarcoated it more than, let's say, Ubisoft does when ubi does EXACT SAME THING. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

lol Diablo III omg its like travel in time. CRAP game, out of date for me. Yee its trolling lol

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by expresso
    Haters gonna hate. You cannot please all of the people all of the time. FACT D3 is a massive success all things considered, don't understand why ppl are trying to dispute ths.

Well. It's hard to say at this point. The problem is we don't know exactly how much Diablo 3 cost Bizz/Activision to develop over its very long period of being made. 6.3 might not be that many if they need 12 million sales to break even. Development costs are likely very very high for this game.

A bigger problem is that I think Blizzard tried to make their dungeon crawler persistant online. Well, I just don't think there is enough game there to keep people going for more than a few weeks at most. If Diablo 3 is supposed to keep a high population on Battle.net then it could fail after the launch when people beat the game and move on.

So, yes you can reasonably dispute how successful D3 is.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by expresso
    Haters gonna hate. You cannot please all of the people all of the time. FACT D3 is a massive success all things considered, don't understand why ppl are trying to dispute ths.

Well. It's hard to say at this point. The problem is we don't know exactly how much Diablo 3 cost Bizz/Activision to develop over its very long period of being made. 6.3 might not be that many if they need 12 million sales to break even. Development costs are likely very very high for this game.

A bigger problem is that I think Blizzard tried to make their dungeon crawler persistant online. Well, I just don't think there is enough game there to keep people going for more than a few weeks at most. If Diablo 3 is supposed to keep a high population on Battle.net then it could fail after the launch when people beat the game and move on.

So, yes you can reasonably dispute how successful D3 is.

It is true we do not know the development costs of D3. So for the sake of argument lets say they made $20 bucks off of each box x 6.3million. Thats $126 mil. in revenue in the 1st week.

I could be way off but something tells me it did not cost $126 million to develop, and they probably made a bit more than $20 per box sale. I can reasonably assume the game is a huge success.

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Yuui
    Originally posted by heartless

What is hilarious though is that PEOPLE ARE MAKING EXCUSES FOR BLIZZ. 

Excuses for DRM, excuses for streamlining of skill and stat systems, excusing for RMT auction house and etc. Through last week or so I heard some of the MOST outlandish excuses for it possible.

That is the scary thing. That company like Blizzard can get away with most outrageous and most underhanded business practices just because they sugarcoated it more than, let's say, Ubisoft does when ubi does EXACT SAME THING. 

Yeah it is pretty amusing. I remember when stuff started coming out about DRM from Ubisoft and this forum was filled with nothing but rage and absolute hate for Ubisoft. I dont remember a single person actually defending Ubisoft over it. Now Blizzard does it and its the complete opposite, not only do people accept it but they actively defend and try to justify it.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Holy shit did not expect such huge numbers, im amazed. 

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by thekid1

Marketing through game websites.

Look how much articles this website already made about Diablo 3.

Not to mention all the other little facts, like

ROFL...... ;)

Bought reviews have been factually proven by more than one incident.

Blizz fanbois and apologists also have a factual evidence of existing. 

The fact that D3 was not made by same developer team is also not something the general public knows or ha da way of knowing, as proven by both their reactions to Torchlight and comments on Diablo 3.

Please try to argue over the obvious truth that D3 is biggest target of gold sellers and hackers in last few years. Please do. The Account Hacking incident this week that was a huge fiasco on Blizz's part just reinforces it. 

The last point is pretty much supported by marketing theory.

So yeah. Facts.

Sure whatever you say..you think you are the first one to pass opinions as facts? honestly, i enjoyed the game a lot and i am one of those gamers who missed out on original game and the sequel. So i am far from fanboy.

But still i can't help but feel sorry for people like you..trying so hard to piss on the succes of D3, but it is like pissing in the wind..only you are going to get wet.

From how you talk, you do not really get on what a "fact" and what an "opinion" is

Opinion would be saying that Diablocraft III is an awfully mediocre game made purely as an excuse for RMT trading and the cuts blizz will get from it.  Thats debatable and can be supported or refuted with arguments. 

The fact that Diablo 3's sales are built up upon the misinformation, hype and marketing is not an opinion. Its a fact supported by factual evidence.  Thats not debatable. 

Also just a note but your second paragraph invalidates the conclusion of  first. :)

Neither do you. And why does my second paragraph invalidates the first one? did i hit a nerve?

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Scalebane

"Diablo 3 becomes fastest-selling PC game ever Sells 3.5 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability"   thought it was gonna fail from reading all the topics around here lmao.

This website has never been representative of the vast majority of people, it's also incredibly anti blizzard.

So first you tell us everyone has an opinion and then you try too hard to make your opinion look better than the rest? why? what makes you such a  special snowflake that your opinion takes a precedent over the others?

I already put holes into your 'it is just the Blizzard name' theory. Ever since Lich king people have been hating on Blizzard, taking vows not to buy another blizz product and how every game they are going to release is going to fail. And yet here we are, every Blizz product setting records in sale. You think people wouldn't know by now if it is just a blizzard name or the games they make are actually good? 

There is only for so long you can ride on your name and title, it surely didn't help Bioware. Suck it up and accept that Blizzard makes good games or live in denial like rest of the haters.

And who are these loyal fans  you are talking about? hand full of regular whiners on these forums who just hate anything that Blizzard does?

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Do people really let Blizzard being succesful bother them? lol 

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

Originally posted by Scalebane

Do people really let Blizzard being succesful bother them? lol 

Indeed..sad but true and i enjoy it really;)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

It's Diablo..............I was expecting it, since Diablo 2 was one of the best selling games in its time.

I was waiting for this game and I have to say I am pretty disappointed.

It is not bad, but it's just a clone of the previous one with no new ideas.

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by ste2000

It's Diablo..............I was expecting it, since Diablo 2 was one of the best selling games in its time.

Well, its almost a clone. problem is they changed it just enought o make it not a complete clone, but unfortunately many of those changes were bad. For starters, limiting customization of builds the way they did, changes to gem types/effects, and changes to sets (so many randomized stats on them instead of specific sets for specific purposes). Then theres the AH.. well its got its good points but it definitely needs some improvements like allowing you to put a range of numbers for a stat not just a minimum number,  and same for buyout prices. They also need to seperate sets & legendary items.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Resiakraw
    Originally posted by ste2000

Well, its almost a clone. problem is they changed it just enought o make it not a complete clone, but unfortunately many of those changes were bad. For starters, limiting customization of builds the way they did, changes to gem types/effects, and changes to sets (so many randomized stats on them instead of specific sets for specific purposes). Then theres the AH.. well its got its good points but it definitely needs some improvements like allowing you to put a range of numbers for a stat not just a minimum number,  and same for buyout prices. They also need to seperate sets & legendary items.

Hm. Im pretty sure that there are more builds viable in D3 Inferno than there were in D2. Forgot the highest difficulty there.....Hell?

The lack of a skilltree just makes you think its limited :).

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I was surprised by this, but then again people who don't even play games enjoy Diablo for some reason. Kids that I've never heard talk about games were talking about it at school, so I guess Diablo has a huge audience. I just don't like this type of game so it makes me raise an eyebrow and go, "I wonder what they see in it..."

Smile

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by Vutar

More interesting would be to see the number of people who continued playing it after the first hour of play. Everyone I know except one person uninstalled the game very quickly. The one guy who kept playing it is a diehard diablo fan who was still playing D2 on and off before D3's release.

That's an incredibly odd scenario.  People going into Diablo 3 know full and well what kind of game it is and what it was going to be by the previews and the inherent trait that it's a hack-and-slash RPG.

Why anyone who doesn't like loot centric clickfests would even buy Diablo 3 is beyond me.  Moreover, I guess you know some pretty quirky people.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Vutar

More interesting would be to see the number of people who continued playing it after the first hour of play. Everyone I know except one person uninstalled the game very quickly. The one guy who kept playing it is a diehard diablo fan who was still playing D2 on and off before D3's release.

Be honest, how many people would you expect to pay $59.99 for this game and then uninstall it after 1 hour?  Wouldn't surprise me if everyone you knew (which accounts for what...2 people?) are the only people in the world who did something that silly.  

Time to face facts, folks.  This game is a massive success, as we all knew it would be.  Hate Blizzard all you want, but they still crank out sales like no other company can.