Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was the MMO that you loved despite a low review score?

mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Or maybe you haven't been aware that your old MMO you played way back when didn't get that perfect score that matches your wonderful experiences. UO/SWG/...

pff They don't really matter anyway do they?

Comments

• PsythosPsythos Member UncommonPosts: 124

Swg pre cu and even pre nge was my holy grail of mmorpg's. I have never found that type of virtual world gaming experience since the day nge went live and i left. Just before reading your post I was thinking to myself that its time to give up on the genre and forget about mmorpgs because they are no longer what they used to be, for me anyway. Those days are gone and after all of these years it is safe to say we wont be getting those types of virtual worlds out of a mmorpg ever again. I mean hell, ive been waiting for so many years and nothing even hinting at what I'd consider a virtual world type of experience mmo.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I liked Warhammer, I played it longer than any MMO not named WoW.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Aion

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I dont even remember what Asherons Call got for a review...it didnt matter. It had great action, open character(no classes) and a fresh story that wasnt just another D&D ripoff.

It did not matter to me one bit how good EverQuest was...I wanted no part in another D&D clone with cookie cutter class restrictions.

There has been no MMO like it since and one of the few that can claim to being mostly unique even today.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Anarchy Online.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

Auto Assault

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Auto Assault

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

SWG preNGE

Darkfall - if that game would have had:

- player housing with decoration and cities, both built where players want them.

- some sort of skill or attribute cap, spell school restrictions.

- better gear outlook customisation

I would have sticked with DF over 18 months. Only game where the open world reminded me about SWG despite the scifi/fantacy setting difference.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

SWG, even tho i feel the score it got was pretty much deserved.

i had more fun in it than any other game and creature handler is my favorite proffession of all time

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Runescape.

Runescape classic was one of the best MMOs and best games I've ever played, yet it's only rated 6 or something

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Darkfall

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• TsumoTsumo Member UncommonPosts: 49

Dark and Light 

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Runescape pre GE bullshit.

It really was one of the MMOs with the most to do while a member. Everything was managed by the community too.

Actually felt like an MMO.

Then GE came along.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Matrix online, Spellborn, Ryzom at release, Istaria, Risk Your Life series, FFXIV.

Probably a few others that aren't coming to mind right now..Auto assault and SWG were alright and something different, but I was playing other stuff at the time.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Runescape, one of the most under-rated game although at this point the game really has got old but still very much enjoyable. 

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Mortal Online. Ya it's buggy. But it's playable and I think it's a lot of fun. And at least the devs are trying to put something out that hasn't been rehashed a thousand times.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Has to be Aion been playing that game on and off since launch. It is still one of my favourite MMO's out there.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Tabula Rasa

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82

Without a doubt SWG - PreNGE. best game ever!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I have not once bought an MMO based on a review. I tend not to even read them. I know if I am interested in something and if I am I am willing to take a chance on purchasing whatever it is.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• CorpusCaseusCorpusCaseus Member UncommonPosts: 2

Warhammer Online and Earth and Beyond.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Auto Assault.

I got he collector's edition w/ headphones, soundtrack and other stuff for 10$ at an Office Depot. It was the best buy I've ever made in the MMO market, even subbed like 4-5 months until it was shut down. The PvP was unbalanced, but the boss fights and destructable environment with collectable craft resources was the most amazing thing I had ever seen (at the time). You slam into a guard rail, smash it to pieces, and then get iron to craft with from it. Genius.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• DirtyisdeadDirtyisdead Member UncommonPosts: 16

I know i'll be the super minority but EQOA was my first mmo and it everything i want in a mmo PVE wise, just needed some kind of large scale pvp.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

For me... ROSE Online.

I played in the beta prior to release. After deleted our toons with the close of the beta and with them asking for a monthly sub, I decided to join my friends who were playing the original Guild Wars back in the day. I have no idea what score ROSE got, if it even was worth a review, but... having said, it was my first ever mmo experience and I loved it.

Of course, once I played GW, I loved it even more, and after that I played WOW and loved it even more; I'm more of a persistent world mmo player than an instanced-based mmo player. However, with the advent of GW2, I have cancelled my wow sub, pre purchased GW2 and am looking forward to returning to my home in Tyria.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Champions Online.

And I know the game has been bashed to death, specially here, but, wth, the game was fun from level 1 all the way to max level. I say "was" becouse of the latest changes. One of the fastests and more dynamic combats I have enjoyed in any MMO, and one of the best character customizations I have seen in any game, MMO or not.

Very casual, small world and lack of depth, I know.. but, as I said, fun from day one, which is the point of a game in the end.