Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zombie Survival Horror MMO

Have always been a great fan of Romero's classic films. Wouldn't it be great to have an MMO based on this theme?

You spawn in a huge world that been overrun by Zombies. You can travel anywhere you want. Listen to new bulletins etc as the outbreak progresses. Its basically about survival and staying alive. There would be loads of places to explore and you could decide to join up with others and survive in your own shopping mall? Or maybe a secluded house you found in the forest? Obviously limited supplies to make it more immersive.

I know there a mod on Arma2 that has this concept but taking it a bigger step further with a whole world would be mind blowing. Also i'd like to see real zombies with slowish erratic movements not the ones that run like road runner.  

Just imagine spawning in a wood not knowing where you are. Your in a vast open world. You see a big house through the clearing? There's a car outside with a door open. You see abit of movement in the house. Do you go in?

Could it be done? or are the majority of gamers obsessed with instant gratification like the boring 'Left for Dead' series. Don't know about you but every zombie game out there seems to be a blast fest. The only game that touched the suspense feel for me was the original Resident Evil on the playstation. a true suspense claasic. 

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

Comments

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

NVM

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Undeadlabs Class 3 will be a sandbox zombie online game for the Xbox 360, but you will only be able to play with one other person via xbox live. I read that after that is released, they will be working on Class 4, which will be the same game, but more of a mmorpg on the Xbox 360 that will have thousands of players online together.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't think an open world game will be suitable for this setting. 1000 players all at the same place is not scary at all.

This is much better done as a small group co-op game. 4-5 friends stuck with 100000 zombies around. There is no need to go MMO on this one.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Class4 by Undead Labs will be an open-world, sandboxy zombie survival horror MMO.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I don't think an open world game will be suitable for this setting. 1000 players all at the same place is not scary at all.

This is much better done as a small group co-op game. 4-5 friends stuck with 100000 zombies around. There is no need to go MMO on this one.

Why not? Other human players can be hostile, build bases, create clans, etc. That certainly adds to the survival part of survival horror.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by SlothnChunk

Why not? Other human players can be hostile, build bases, create clans, etc. That certainly adds to the survival part of survival horror.

It seems there are a couple of possibilities like borrowing from Tabula Rasa in which the safe zone is is under periodic attacks by hordes; or have have survival shelters with a limited capacity in the classic, "If we let these people in, it's less food for us" scenario.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I would agree with Narius, but then it is a matter of perspective and personal opinion. To me, what makes a great zombie story is a small group, say like 10 at the most, of survivors trying to make it. That feeling of desolation and lonliness, in a world that has pretty much gone to hell.

If you are constantly seeing a ton of other people, it is going to lose that apocolyptic feel. The solution I suppose would be a massive world with a small number of players for each server, but that would not be very feasible economically speaking for the game company.

I would love to see this happen, and it sounds like it might be on the way, but I am not sure this is one that can be done well and still retain the feeling of a world falling apart. Looking forward to being proven wrong though, I will say that much. ;-)

Originally posted by Naral

I would agree with Narius, but then it is a matter of perspective and personal opinion. To me, what makes a great zombie story is a small group, say like 10 at the most, of survivors trying to make it. That feeling of desolation and lonliness, in a world that has pretty much gone to hell.

If you are constantly seeing a ton of other people, it is going to lose that apocolyptic feel. The solution I suppose would be a massive world with a small number of players for each server, but that would not be very feasible economically speaking for the game company.

I would love to see this happen, and it sounds like it might be on the way, but I am not sure this is one that can be done well and still retain the feeling of a world falling apart. Looking forward to being proven wrong though, I will say that much. ;-)

For Class4 it sounds like the world will be large, open-world and sandboxy. And I'm sure there will be more than just one server.

Class4 is being developed by Undead Labs and my money is on that studio to make a great zombie surivival MMO. And I base this on the leaders of the studio like Jeff Strain and James Phinney.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Class4 by Undead Labs will be an open-world, sandboxy zombie survival horror MMO.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/undead-labs/interviews/jeff-strain/May-16-2011

We want to drop you into the heart of a zombie apocalypse and let you put your personal survival plan to the test in an open world, with no predefined quest paths, no levels, no corridors, and no canned character progression; just you, your plan, your equipment, and your wits.

http://undeadlabs.com/

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Nadia

We want to drop you into the heart of a zombie apocalypse and let you put your personal survival plan to the test in an open world, with no predefined quest paths, no levels, no corridors, and no canned character progression; just you, your plan, your equipment, and your wits.

http://undeadlabs.com/

God I hope they pull it off. I would quit every other game I am playing at the time.

other info from same link

Is it just zombies or are there other frights out there lurking in the dark?
    We are not re-skinning orcs and calling it a zombie game. At its heart, the zombie genre is about survival in the face of societal collapse and the complexities of human relationships in the face of dwindling resources. That is the experience we hope to recreate, so don’t expect to encounter 20-foot boss zombies, mutated Werebears, or emo vampires.

That said, the greatest enemy in any apocalypse scenario is often our fellow survivors.

Just as in the world today, most people are basically cool, but a few can be real douchebags. The zombie apocalypse would probably amplify those personality traits further, drawing a clear line between people who have your back, and people who would be happy to stab your back. While the fundamental conflict is “humans vs. zombies”, you can bet we’ll be working in the human conflict as well.

• Lo/RezLo/Rez Member UncommonPosts: 18

http://www.dayzmod.com/

Is a mod for Arma2 but could keep ya going, looks like fun and i hear is particularly good fun, average survival time currently is 28 minutes.

just an idea :)

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by Lo/Rez

http://www.dayzmod.com/

Is a mod for Arma2 but could keep ya going, looks like fun and i hear is particularly good fun, average survival time currently is 28 minutes.

just an idea :)

Its probably where he got the idea for the thread considering there has lately been a ton of coverage on it!

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Undead labs' games are worth following if only because Jeff Strain is in the lead.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

Too bad it is a console game. Get it on Steam!

• KushmasterKushmaster Member Posts: 47

Pretty disappointed UL decided to only stick with the 360.

Oh well. If the game turns out to be a hit, I just may have to buy another one.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

That actually sounds like a lot of fun.

You would start as a random civilian with no weapons, in a random location. Initially your task is to avoid any Zombie attack - you get bitten, you die (i.e. turn into another Zombie) and have to start as another civilian. You would need multiple starts because thanks to the random location, you will often not make it.

After you managed you sneak around for a while, you will start finding ressources. First only clothing that makes you sneak better, then guns, later armor that actually protects you from getting bit, then drugs for various uses, swords to mass slaughter zombies, safe zones which cannot be penetrated by zombies, other players to join forces, researcher and doctor NPCs to enhance your body with biological enhancements and implants, and so on and so forth.

If its a MMO, though, very likely the players would, at some point, "win", thanks to being completely immune to Zombifiaction and being able to kill each and every Zombie in the game.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

This type of game might want to be waited on.  Let's face it, game developers can't even come up with one whole city that has complete floorplans of each and every building in the city (I am looking at your, Grand Theft Auto), something that would be useful in an MMO setting for zombies.

So, maybe we should wait until things like this can be created.

Man, imagine a recreation of NYC, but with zombies.  Being able to hang out in famous locations like the Smithsonian or Chinatown  and gun down undead would be pretty sweet.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by lifesbrink

Man, imagine a recreation of NYC, but with zombies.  Being able to hang out in famous locations like the Smithsonian or Chinatown  and gun down undead would be pretty sweet.

That is asking a lot from a small independent publishing house. That is a LOT of work to make that much content.

It would be much easier to do a cookie cutter type randomly generated city. Only a dozen or so different building types randomly scattered around a small city with random amounts of damage.

Still a lot of work though. It would be cool to have a Walking Dead style MMO. 

Have to scavenge for supplies, sneak around large groups, worried about making too much noise, guilds would form up as your little survival group. Random radio messages talking about safe places that are really far away. Full PVP, No levels though. That way when you die, you have to play as a zombie until you die again, then respawn as a new survivor.

It could be awesome.

Originally posted by Adamantine

If its a MMO, though, very likely the players would, at some point, "win", thanks to being completely immune to Zombifiaction and being able to kill each and every Zombie in the game.

depends

if its like Jeff Strains game, resources and shelters may be limited and will find that other players may also be your enemy

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

I've posted this same idea a few times here. Did a Wild West sandbox idea too. But IDK why it couldn't be done (either)....and it would be different from the current clonefest going on. I came up with pen and paper D&D...I think dragons, elves, dwarves, etc are cool and all.....but enough is enough already. Just something off the beaten path would be a welcomed change.

Progression being based on your survival time.

And agree there is no reason other players wouldn't or couldn't be hostile. With limited resources, it would be vital to get what you can find and take out whoever got in the way. Would need a HUGE world, and LOTS of zombies. The only thing I didn't see mentioned that I thought would add to the fun was if a player was biten/infected  they could turn into a zombie and seek living flesh.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by lifesbrink

This type of game might want to be waited on.  Let's face it, game developers can't even come up with one whole city that has complete floorplans of each and every building in the city (I am looking at your, Grand Theft Auto), something that would be useful in an MMO setting for zombies.

So, maybe we should wait until things like this can be created.

Yep. I would want to see a truly well-developed city. Plus it would have to have big wilderness as well with plenty of Evil Dead houses tucked away in them. That's one huge world we are talking about. I don't know if it is technical limitations or simply that it would need to be so big that it would scare off most potential developers, but it is one off the beaten sword and sorcery path that I would be interested in.

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82

I dont know much about TSW but isnt that kinda what TSW is about? Horror MMO with Vampires, zombies etc. ?

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by musicmann

Undeadlabs Class 3 will be a sandbox zombie online game for the Xbox 360, but you will only be able to play with one other person via xbox live. I read that after that is released, they will be working on Class 4, which will be the same game, but more of a mmorpg on the Xbox 360 that will have thousands of players online together.

I lost interest at xbox 360.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I have an extremely low opinion of zombie games/movies/anything. A Stalker MMO would be much better, IMO.

But, that ArmA II DayZ mod seems to have been made just for you: http://www.dayzmod.com/