Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: What's in a Name?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Arena.Net blog has been updated with a new post by Content Designer Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda. In the new post, she goes into detail about how the team comes up with names for, well, everything in Tyria. It's a great behind-the-scenes look at how lore is created for Guild Wars 2.

One of the lore elements of the game that I find the most fascinating is the cultural evolution of charr names.

In the original Guild Wars, the charr were brutish, savage zealots, and their names reflected this, echoing growls and roars – “Maim Deathrain” “Slaug Firehide” “Kaargoth Bloodclaw” and the like. 250 years later, the charr are the most technologically advanced race on Tyria, and their legions (though competitive as always) have fortified themselves into a far more organized and ranked force. Though the classic names are not wholly gone, most charr names have echoed this cultural change, drawing exhaustively from classic Roman influences – and not just classical names, such as Aestiva and Gracchus, but military sources as well! A ballista is a large siege weapon that was used by ancient Roman forces – but it’s also got a fantastic ring for a charr moniker.

Read the full blog post on the Guild Wars 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I disagree with something here.

Nyan Cat will be relevant forever.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

In the original Guild Wars, the charr were brutish, savage zealots, and their names reflected this, echoing growls and roars – “Maim Deathrain” “Slaug Firehide” “Kaargoth Bloodclaw” and the like. 250 years later, the charr are the most technologically advanced race on Tyria, and their legions (though competitive as always) have fortified themselves into a far more organized and ranked force.

Really? Animals smarter then humans in 250 years of evolution. Does that make sense to anyone, or did I miss something completely here?

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

This game is crazy overhyped. [mod edit]

My brother has fallen for it.  I watched him play and i must say, there is nothing revolutionary about it.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

In the original Guild Wars, the charr were brutish, savage zealots, and their names reflected this, echoing growls and roars – “Maim Deathrain” “Slaug Firehide” “Kaargoth Bloodclaw” and the like. 250 years later, the charr are the most technologically advanced race on Tyria, and their legions (though competitive as always) have fortified themselves into a far more organized and ranked force.

Really? Animals smarter then humans in 250 years of evolution. Does that make sense to anyone, or did I miss something completely here?

Yeah, you are missing something completely.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

I thought the Asura were the most technologically advanced in GW 2...?

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by x5100

I was under the same impression.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade

The Asura use magic more than technology

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by makii

This game is crazy overhyped. I bet A-net paid some koreans to spam forums to hype the people.

My brother has fallen for it.  I watched him play and i must say, there is nothing revolutionary about it.

So, you don't like it.  Congratulations.  I've played it.  I love it.  I think there are many things that are possibly revolutionary, or at least evolutionary.  This isn't the game for you and that's fine.  Why do you feel the need to put it down in a forum dedicated to the game?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Leonona
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade

The Asura use magic more than technology

This! The Asura's pride - the golems, are half magic half technology.

While Charr uses no magic in their weaponry and machinery.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Humans were scattered over Tyria, as refugees. They didn't care about new cooking machine, they mostly cared how to find food for their family. Even now, 250 years later, humans are not united, or it just appears otherwise, they are divided inside, fighting each other because of politics and over who should rule tyria.

Charr were more organized, honoring their superiors, motivated to be better than others, thinking of new ways to destroy their enemy, making machines of war, and many useful stuff in the process.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by thedarkess

Humans were scattered over Tyria, as refugees. They didn't care about new cooking machine, they mostly cared how to find food for their family. Even now, 250 years later, humans are not united, or it just appears that way, they are divided inside, fighting each other because of politics and over who should rule tyria.

Charr were more organized, honoring their superiors, motivated to be better than others, thinking of new ways to destroy their enemy, making machines of war, and many useful stuff in the process.

Makes sense. Thank you.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

It says 'most technologically advanced' - that doesn't mean they are the smartest. If you are going by pure IQ, I would say that the Asura would win.

Look at how quickly human technology has evolved and you will realise its not that far fetched.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Asura can create anything a Charr can do, but they won't because it's too simple.

And if they had to, like a gun, it wouldn't use gunpowder, it would be more like a laser rifle, or at least something akin to a railgun/coilgun.

I don't think you will get any Asura to actually create the same thing, as in, a gun using gunpowder. I'm sure they'll prefer to die before creating something so crude.

They also aren't as focused as the Charr. The Charr acknowledge strength, so they invent something to make them stronger. They look at thow fast it makes them how much stronger. If they can choose between being stronger right now, and maybe being way stronger later, they will take both, if they can. If not, they will choose the first.

The Asura invent for the sake of inventing. The more complex, the better. Given the chance of 15 minutes of fame now and being remembered even in a thousand years, even if they don't live to see, they will choose the later.

A Charr inventing a time machine (quite unlikely) would use it to prevent the humans ever touching Ascalon.

An Asura inventing a time machine (extremely likely, given enough time (kinda ironic..)) would probably use it to invent it earlier, so he can enjoy being famous longer. Or at least, he would travel back in time when another Asura invented something really astounding, and invent it first

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• F2PMMOF2PMMO Member UncommonPosts: 122

but, it says most technologically advanced race in Thyria. The Asura may be smart, but they lag in technological advancement compared to the Charr. 

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

You missed something, I will fill you in: IT'S JUST A GAME!

Relax and don't take things so serious.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

This game is crazy overhyped. I bet A-net paid some koreans to spam forums to hype the people.

Then your brother's opinion is more valid than yours is.  He has first hand experience with the game.  I would guess that he likes it, but even if he didn't, it would still be the same.

Anyways, this is a thread about a blog post about naming conventions.  If you don't like the game, say so somewhere else...unless you don't like the game because of the naming conventions.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Next time before making such off topic dumb comments do some reasearch first where the hype really originated from, how it grew and why.

• YakCastYakCast Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by evilastro

It says 'most technologically advanced' - that doesn't mean they are the smartest. If you are going by pure IQ, I would say that the Asura would win.

Look at how quickly human technology has evolved and you will realise its not that far fetched.

It's a fictional world people get over it!

Yak Cast | MMO Podcast: http://www.yak.mmoSmackTalk.com
    Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk
    Follow me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/YakCast