Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly no BWE this weekend. *Confirmed*

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

No BWE this weekend makes me sad for two reasons.

1.  I actually had an extra day off on Sunday!  That would have been convenient.

2.  Watching some people be very dramatic over it makes me lose a little bit of faith in humanity.

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by ScribZ

If I remember correctly, they are following the same BETA structure they did for GW1. You got a single weekend ever month for several months, up until launch. You didnt get continuous play time, you got ONE weekend a month. I would expect to see the same thing here in GW2.

So there is no closed beta testing going on? It's just the in house team doing testing? 

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Those of you getting upset over them not having a BWE need to seriously take a pill. Chances are this game is not going to be out for a while so if you're already getting frustrated...well..find something else to focus on because you're going to be banging your head against a wall on this for probably quite some time.

You are right but the problem is they did a nice marketing scam in order to get the money to finish development in the green.

Time for refunds until they announce it. Yes you can get a refund.

What scam? I haven't purchased the game yet because I think it is ridiculous to do so when a game doesn't even have a launch date. However, for those that did so knowing this info...how exactly were they scammed? They did so of their own accord without any promise of a set schedule for a release.

Exactly, i purchased the game since i knew, from what they showed us, that i would have liked it and indeed during the first BWE i had a chance to confirm my guess. Even if i didn't like it i wouldn't go around blaming them couse the game sucks or they don't give us BWE every weekend; i knew perfectly well that a BWE exactly every month was impossible if they wanted to do a proper job on it and not just increase Hype even more to just get more sales. So just chill out and wait patiently, or just do like me and go around looking for new videos to satisfy my need of GW2 :p

• JesseBFoxJesseBFox Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    I agree with you entirely on that whole post, but one thing caught me...

BWE next weekend?!?! What did I miss?

Wild speculation on my part. I should have clarified. If hypothetically it is the following weekend.  

• JesseBFoxJesseBFox Member Posts: 134

I was scammed when I prepurchased the next Harry Dresden book! I paid in full without knowing a release date. Even worse the author hasn't written me personally nor has he let me read rough drafts on the weekend!

Oh noes!

And Twisted Metal too! I musta got scammed there, I paid in full months before release without knowing a release date for sure, and it cost just as much as GW2! 

I must be gullible I am scammed so often. In fact people tell me I paid for beta for GW2 when I don't recall giving any extra cash so I could beta. I must be dumb.

• Epierce41Epierce41 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by JesseBFox

I was scammed when I prepurchased the next Harry Dresden book! I paid in full without knowing a release date. Even worse the author hasn't written me personally nor has he let me read rough drafts on the weekend!

Oh noes!

And Twisted Metal too! I musta got scammed there, I paid in full months before release without knowing a release date for sure, and it cost just as much as GW2! 

I must be gullible I am scammed so often. In fact people tell me I paid for beta for GW2 when I don't recall giving any extra cash so I could beta. I must be dumb.

Lol.  +1 to Jesse.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by Epierce41

Oh noes!

Lol.  +1 to Jesse.

Ha, you win!

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Some posts here just make me lol...

Everyone knew since they pre-purchase the game, that BWE schedules could change and werent confirmed as going to be 1 each month. So you feel robbed because there is no BWE at May, and it will probably starts at 1st of June? And if they do 2 BWE at same month should you pay more for it? Looks like that for some.. If you feel robbed for not having one, maybe you should pay extra for having 2.. Just doesnt make sence. We payed for the game, not the betas, betas are just a bonus and will happen when they feel it shall happen in order to improve the game. If you dont think like this you really should have wait till game was released to buy it.

Stop crying about it, i wonder what would you say if they did a BWE this weekend and the servers were crashing like last one. Probably complain even more.

I guess that some ppl just complain no matter what..

Oh noes!

This is what i really don't understand. I told one of my friends that if he wanted he could prepurchase GW2 to have a headstart access of 3 days and the possibility to participate in every BWE, then he asked me, why he had to pay to participate in a beta when anet should have payed him to test their game...he no longer figures as one of my friends but thats another story...

This resebles pretty much what i red on a book of economics:

-Immagine you go to buy a music cd for 10$, then when you go out of the shop you drop the cd and a car runs over it. You would probably return to the shop and buy another one.

-Then immagine  that you have 10$ in the wallet and you want to use them to buy a cd that you like very much, but you get robbed in front of the music shop. Would you still go buy the cd again, maybe another day?

1/3 of the people would still go to buy the cd even though they got robbed, but most of the people would say Yes in the first case and No in the second even though in both cases they had -10$ at the end of the day.

The point is even if you wait at release to buy GW2 it would cost you pretty much the same, so why not buying it and enjoy what they offer you pre-release? This was pretty much my reasoning before prepurchasing it, but still i didn't get scammed since i didn't pay to play BWE but i paid to play GW2 at release.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by Killing91

Oh noes!

This is what i really don't understand. I told one of my friends that if he wanted he could prepurchase GW2 to have a headstart access of 3 days and the possibility to participate in every BWE, then he asked me, why he had to pay to participate in a beta when anet should have payed him to test their game...he no longer figures as one of my friends but thats another story...

This resebles pretty much what i red on a book of economics:

-Immagine you go to buy a music cd for 10$, then when you go out of the shop you drop the cd and a car runs over it. You would probably return to the shop and buy another one.

-Then immagine  that you have 10$ in the wallet and you want to use them to buy a cd that you like very much, but you get robbed in front of the music shop. Would you still go buy the cd again, maybe another day?

1/3 of the people would still go to buy the cd even though they got robbed, but most of the people would say Yes in the first case and No in the second even though in both cases they had -10$ at the end of the day.

The point is even if you wait at release to buy GW2 it would cost you pretty much the same, so why not buying it and enjoy what they offer you pre-release? This was pretty much my reasoning before prepurchasing it, but still i didn't get scammed since i didn't pay to play BWE but i paid to play GW2 at release.

Ofc, who doesnt understand this, i really cant understand why they pre-purchased.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

*Snip*   I must be dumb. 

Your words.. I concur.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

I cannot complain that ANet are working on getting the game done rather than on pushing anohter BWE jsut for the sake of sayibng that they did so.

Patience.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I dont understand why they dont let the servers go over the weekend,it cant possibly cost them much and everybody would be happy.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by tordurbar

The confirmation of no BWE this weekend has finally deflated my hype over this game. I still look forward to it but I have removed it from my "the game that I will be playing for the next 10 years" list. I have come to realize several things: 1) the game is not nearly as far along as many would suggest. There are still two races to introduce. I have heard people expect a release in July. Crazy! 2) You have to take what ArenaNet says with a grain of salt. No, ArenaNet did not promise monthly BWE but it was certainly implied. Then they lead on the fan base that there might be a BWE until 3 days prior to an expected weekend.  3) They have my money now and their is nothing I can do about it. I find it annoying that I pre-purchased GW2 with the implied monthly beta and that very same month they decide not to do a BWE (I do not consider the Monday stress test as a full BWE). Yup. "I got ur money sukka" seems their attitude to me. I think it would have been better for ANet ot have a BWE weekend this weekend and then wait 8 weeks for the next one.

I still like what I see in GW2 and have no regrets for my pre-purchase but the fire is gone.

1) We don't even know if they are going to reveal the Sylvari and Asura in beta. It's very likely they will save those for release. Why show people who only use beta tests for a demo of the game everything the game has to offer? Yes, I am saying that you are one of those many people who view these BWE as a demo of the game. What are you going to do when they wipe everything before they head to release? 

Also, the game is still technically in closed beta. They still have smaller beta testing going on in between these beta events. So it's not like they have nobody testing the areas we don't see.

2) It's your responsibility to read the fine print before you purchase. It's your fault for taking Anet's words and spinning them to be something they are not. They said that they would try to have a beta event at least once a month. However, because it's ~BETA~, bug fixing and hardware testing trumps beta events once a month. If they are ready for another beta event, then why the hell should they have one?

Also, I should mention this, if Anet were to have another BWE without any improvement what-so-ever to the game I can't imagine what the forums would be like. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The picked the better of the two options. 

3) So you pre-purchased for beta tests? Sounds very foolish if you ask me. It's always foolish to purchase something before you have the chance to see the end-product. I prepurchased for the actual game on launch, in which I knew I would buy it anyways. 

4) Covered in #2, second paragraph. It would NOT have been better to have a BWE event if the game isn't ready

5) So...just because there was no BWE (which is meant for testing, not your own personal enjoyment), you aren't really interested in the game anymore? It may have been a lot smarter of you to save your money, and just wait until release. 

I think this complaining about the lack of a BWE event pretty much goes along with what Anet said a long time ago. People no longer view beta as a time for testing, they view betas as a free trial of the game. If you will notice, Anet isn't really marketing their beta tests that much. It's mostly the fans doing the marketing for them. This kinda shows these BWE aren't for marketing purposes. They are for TESTING. Repeat after me, TEST-ING. 

This means that if the game isn't ready for another BWE, then what's the point of having one?

I'll repost this from above down here, just in case no one wants to read the colored tests:

Also, I should mention this, if Anet were to have another BWE without any improvement what-so-ever to the game I can't imagine what the forums would be like. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The picked the better of the two options. 

• HayasaHayasa Member UncommonPosts: 29

Guys, keep the feet on the ground. BWE is not what you paid for, it's an extra so you don't have to wait on being invited. You will have your headstart and items.

Asura and sylvari are already done, it's not tested by a high number of player with the stadistic of finding bugs carried by it, but it's there. Is not something that needs to be done and we have to wait until they finish rendering and programming. That's alredy done. But if you expect to cover all the bug of another 2 races in a month when they are already overflowed with the initial 3, you are delusional. 

They have to cover that first, then they will unlock hardware limitation and work on dx11 and see what kind of bugs are created by that. LOTS of games do everything all together and get overwhelm by the bugs and are unable to deal with them, with the consequense of a retail bugged game. 

Relax and play something else, I'm still unlocking the hall of monuments for instance.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

A part of me is disapointed that there is no BWE. I would like to play. But really, I hope they only have one more BWE, maybe 2 if they have to. 

EVERY time I play a beta, especialy in games I really want to play, I get all excited, I get everything ready for that weekend or what not. I start to play, I enjoy myself, and then it hits me... it doesnt matter. That character I am playing, going to ge wiped. There is just a feeling of being let down when that realization hits. The last BWE.. yeah, that hit pretty frickin' hard.

Cheer up folks, there will probably be one next week end, the week end of June 1st through 3rd. There is an Irishfest just a few blocks away and I play on walking there, and stumbling back! If you see a necro that is slurring his words and weaving back and forth.. make sure I dont pass out in the middle of a DE.

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

It's a bit of a double edged sword.  Beta has become part of the marketing and phased release of a game.  It no longer makes sense to say "it's still beta" and beta is for "testing".  Players want to play a game they are waiting for NOW, and developers want to start making sales bringing in an early influx of cash.  Beta has been redefined and is now a hybrid of testing and release.

I'm glad they aren't forcing out a beta this weekend.  Whether it's for updating hardware as they claim, taking the weekend off, or some other unknown reason.  Lesser companies would have the BWE2 along with opening the doors to more prepurchases.  I view this as a sign of a company is not under pressure to take the quick buck but wants to put out  a quality product.

But I'm also pissed cause I want to play NOW!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Hayasa

Guys, keep the feet on the ground. BWE is not what you paid for, it's an extra so you don't have to wait on being invited. You will have your headstart and items.

Asura and sylvari are already done, it's not tested by a high number of player with the stadistic of finding bugs carried by it, but it's there. Is not something that needs to be done and we have to wait until they finish rendering and programming. That's alredy done. But if you expect to cover all the bug of another 2 races in a month when they are already overflowed with the initial 3, you are delusional. 

They have to cover that first, then they will unlock hardware limitation and work on dx11 and see what kind of bugs are created by that. LOTS of games do everything all together and get overwhelm by the bugs and are unable to deal with them, with the consequense of a retail bugged game. 

Relax and play something else, I'm still unlocking the hall of monuments for instance.

The point is, that with pre-buy, unlike preorder, they get the money immediately. So I can't re-decide, I can't cancel. They got my money, more or less blindly. So *I* think to compensate for this unusuallly great trust, demanding some more beta weekends are fair and right, especially since that was THE advertisement point from ANet, even if it would just contain the same level like with the stress test.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

The point is, that with pre-buy, unlike preorder, they get the money immediately. So I can't re-decide, I can't cancel. They got my money, more or less blindly. So *I* think to compensate for this unusuallly great trust, demanding some more beta weekends are fair and right, especially since that was THE advertisement point from ANet, even if it would just contain the same level like with the stress test.

That would be complitely pointless form their point of view, since letting you play with the same specs as the last stress test would mean letting you play with the old crappy hardware that would lower their image as a game company. The point of BWE are not to let you enjoy the game before release, that's just something that comes with testing and nothing more (or as you said to advertise their game more)<---but precisely because of this they can't let you play a buggy BWE without resolving past issues that players already know from the first one, since that would lead to justified anger from players who spent time reviewing their gameplay and issue bugs notifications. We all want to play but lets not be selfish and leave them do their work ;).

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

That would be complitely pointless form their point of view, since letting you play with the same specs as the last stress test would mean letting you play with the old crappy hardware that would lower their image as a game company. The point of BWE are not to let you enjoy the game before release, that's just something that comes with testing and nothing more (or as you said to advertise their game more)<---but precisely because of this they can't let you play a buggy BWE without resolving past issues that players already know from the first one, since that would lead to justified anger from players who spent time reviewing their gameplay and issue bugs notifications. We all want to play but lets not be selfish and leave them do their work ;).

You see I have this little Ferengi inside me. Every time I hear words like "not be selfish" I feel this PAIN in my head, you know. XD

To quote the 10th rule of Acquisition: Greed is eternal!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

it's not trust if it can be compensated.

Sry but if you are not fan enough to enjoy the option to help making a better game, why should anyone bother in a FANFORUM ? Demanding something from a compagny that have earned its trust by communicating the slogan "when its ready" is just not getting the point.

sry if you couldn't see that buy prepaying we where actual supporting the "when its ready" gameapproach. And that this also extend to BWE is really just something i am happy about as a fan.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

when i see from leaks that there is already a closed beta running behind everything, i am really convienced that the BWE are just for public relationship reasons ... only the stress testes might be usefull to check the server with high amounts of players ...

from this fact i am happy but also sad, happy cause i know that they are not depend on a fanbase in order to search for bugs and problems but on professional testers(i hope they are..!) and sad cause i feel kinda fooled about all these betas, why they didnt call these demo weekends ?? it would sound more fair ..!

• DeldorDeldor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by bookworm438

1) We don't even know if they are going to reveal the Sylvari and Asura in beta. It's very likely they will save those for release. Why show people who only use beta tests for a demo of the game everything the game has to offer? Yes, I am saying that you are one of those many people who view these BWE as a demo of the game. What are you going to do when they wipe everything before they head to release? 

Also, the game is still technically in closed beta. They still have smaller beta testing going on in between these beta events. So it's not like they have nobody testing the areas we don't see.

I think they should test everything in the BWE. All races, all zones and all levels. The BWE crowd has already paid, so it's not a demo for them. If you don't test everything large scale, there will be undetected bugs.

SWTOR didn't test Illum, because they didn't have high-level players in their beta test. And it was a total mess. They clearly should have done a rollback there, but they couldn't because they already launched and they didn't want to reset the live progression.

Some professional closed beta testers just don't cut it to find exploits. You need a large crowd of gaming enthusiasts to find exploitable bugs.