Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Our Official TERA Review

Comments

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337
    [mod edit]

The unfortunate side of 'reviewers' is they will more often than not recommend games they give low scores to and not recommend games they give high scores to.  This is all because they're doing their reviews with a format.  If a great game is weak somewhere in the format that will tank the rating.

What tanked TERA's rating might be "innovation" in this review.  Innovation isn't really a requirement for a great game.  WoW, the most successful MMORPG is notably the least innovative game as they tend to just rip off good ideas from everyone else.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I see me as Bill Murphy though, not Mike Bitton. The only reason you're spouting about integrity in our ratings is because you think it should be a higher score. If I rated it higher, you'd not be complaining... correct?

The score stands. I love the game. Finito.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Calm down he likes the game. It is just that for higher score we need something more than to like the game.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Seems to be a very fair review. And people, ... 7.7 is NOT bad!

I hope mmorpg.com will keep up this realistic scoring habbit. All gaming sites that ride the waves of player anticipation and accomodate fans in reafirming their hype with very high scores lost much of their credibility in my eyes.

In that sense some of mmorpg.com's scores of the past might have been a tad on the high side compared to what Tera gets now but this a good precedent.

We should stop expecting scores only in the 8.5 - 10 bracket.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

TERA does very well at being an extremely mediocre game.

7.7 is perfect.

• eritheerithe Member Posts: 8

"We could bemoan the fact that there’s a bit of sexism here in TERA (male and female alike), but the truth is that there’s nary a game in the MMO industry that looks and performs incredibly well on the Unreal 3 engine."

Seriously?  You slide from the sexism question directly to the Unreal engine's performance?  There is no connection there and you're glossing over the main, most disquieting element of TERA.  For all it's glossy game play, even if it's fun ... no discussion at ALL of the string bikini armor, separately animated boobs, and ridiculous character models?   Good grief.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Waitaminute! I just did the average myself and it comes out to 7.6 (rounded) NOT 7.7.

Aha!!!!!! Bill you should be ashamed of yourself for deceiving the masses!

Ashamed!

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by DarkPony

I hope mmorpg.com will keep up this realistic scoring habbit. All gaming sites that ride the waves of player anticipation and accomodate fans in reafirming their hype with very high scores lost much of their credibility in my eyes.

In that sense some of mmorpg.com's scores of the past might have been a tad on the high side compared to what Tera gets now but this a good precedent.

heh. Hillaroius You know what you are suggesting? This is like changing game rules on the fly:

Ok 1:0 for red team. Well 1 is kinda a big number how about from now on we sign only 0.5 for a score.

7.7 is super ... only all games have 8 and higher XD

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by I_Return

Finito, doesn't quite end the conversation for the lack of depth in the review. So much missing in most mmo reviews and readers never get any information in a review about the end game. Doing a mid level raid is nothing like end game raids, mid level pvp is nothing like end level pvp, ect and so on. I think your review is incomplete, and it has failed your audience, in my opinion. I personally am not going to be overly excited about the score, cause I'm not playing the game, but  fans will. That is where the trouble lies, cause once that bond is broken between reviewer and fan or readers, it is never resealed. I don't even play the game and can easily see from here that is is an 8.0 or higher. The ammount of detail and respect to character development makes SWTOR look like a board game.

This review is the summary of five separate pieces. Please see the previous articles linked at the introduction. Though, I'm sure you read that, right? 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by BadSpock

7.7 is perfect.

The game itself is not mediocre, it just doesn't provide what you specifically want in a game.

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

heh. Hillaroius You know what you are suggesting? This is like changing game rules on the fly:

Ok 1:0 for red team. Well 1 is kinda a big number how about from now on we sign only 0.5 for a score.

*shrugs* You have to start somewhere.

Pretty on par with metacritic, this, by the way.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Finito, doesn't quite end the conversation for the lack of depth in the review. So much missing in most mmo reviews and readers never get any information in a review about the end game. Doing a mid level raid is nothing like end game raids, mid level pvp is nothing like end level pvp, ect and so on.

I think your review is incomplete, and it has failed your audience, in my opinion. I personally am not going to be overly excited about the score, cause I'm not playing the game, but  fans will. That is where the trouble lies, cause once that bond is broken between reviewer and fan or readers, it is never resealed.

I don't even play the game and can easily see from here that is is an 8.0 or higher. The ammount of detail and respect to character development makes SWTOR look like a board game.

Honestly, I disagree.

I've played the game, and I think his score is about where it should be. The main problem seems to be how high he rated SWTOR (which I would agree was way too high). This game is basically a solid C. Even on the most populated servers, it's a quest or mob grind. There's not much in the way of PvP atm (even on jagged coast), and it can be hard to find groups to run even the earlier dungeons. A lot of it's issues come down to the simple fact that this game does almost nothing different aside from the combat (which is a lot of fun).

Even with just diablo3 released, the longevity of this game is starting to show. There's been a noticeable drop in players. The game doesn't have many servers to begin w/, and the game is barely a month old. With even more AAA titles coming down the pipe, we can expect to see even more drops in population, and given that TERA is a sub model, I'm not sure how many will want to come back after such a long break.

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

*shrugs* You have to start somewhere.

Pretty on par with metacritic, this, by the way.

aha the only problem is that 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic

game has 5.7. So now compare the score on the same site with Tera.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180

I hate games that i generally have to "yawn" till lvl cap and then be surprised by lack of content.... somehow Tera aint the worst. Its just i seen it all since 2000 and just combat system wont make up for it. 7 is the proper score imho. 

Sorry. I came to this game for pvp (since i am burnt out of pve). Games released... my char is lvl 33 archer and i barely find strength to do more "kill x mobs" quest (i did around 300 of those till lvl 33). Cant even do BAM quests since channels are on low. If i think i have to do another 600+ of those and have only meaningles pvp (pk and gvg-pk with no rewards) at lvl cap i am not really excited to even log in.....

Originally posted by BillMurphy

This review is the summary of five separate pieces. Please see the previous articles linked at the introduction. Though, I'm sure you read that, right?

I read what is on the side of the review. Linking to articles with in a review is like dragging along a scape goat in my opinion.

It would be like me saying here is your apple pie, not follow this link to make it yourself ? ... oesn't quite work well when everyone expected some fresh pieh.

So, you didn't play it, you didn't read the previous articles on which much of this review is founded yet you are accusing the writer that the review isn't complete?

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

7.7 is perfect.

The game itself is not mediocre, it just doesn't provide what you specifically want in a game.

What exactly can it provide besides combat and the constant LFG spam.  There really is nothing else to do in the game but quest and bam grind.  Even the PvP is not that good.

BOOYAKA!

• EvenhopeEvenhope Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I loved the set and graphics I this game. The combat was certainly fun. However, I can't justify the cost for another hub to hub questing themepark MMO. If it were free I'd be playing t daily, and would likely buy the cosmetic features if they werent stupidly expensive.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    [mod edit]

Though I don't agree with a few things in the review like the UI customization as a whole. But I do agree with the customization when it comes to the Guild UI.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hi guys,

Just wanted to step in and remind you all to stay on-topic. This thread is for the discussion of our TERA review. If you'd like to discuss other reviews we've done please do so in their appropriate comment threads. If you have general feedback on our reviews or review process (and some constructive suggestions to go along with it!) please check out our Site Suggestions board and leave 'em there.

We WILL remove continued off-topic posts from here on out.

Thanks everyone!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

7.7 is perfect.

What exactly can it provide besides combat and the constant LFG spam.  There really is nothing else to do in the game but quest and bam grind.  Even the PvP is not that good.

Not liking the PvP is your opinion, also some people like quest grind. But calling the game itself "mediocre" or saying it "screams" f2p like a poster way back is not fair to the game and it's developers.

The graphics are easily the best of any MMO out right now, art style aside, as that is preferential.

The world is larger than Vanilla WoW, easily, what titles release with a world that size lately? Not to mention that world has collision detection, full hitboxes and top tier graphics and is an open world, all while running considerably well on most computers with highest settings!

Animations are crisp and well done, character models are very high quality.

The UI is fully customizable, even more so than Rifts, it comes with a LFG tool and a very unique auction house. Same can not be said for some other games that released recently...*COUGH*.

Your preferences on the game aside and what gameplay it delivers to you, it's the things mentioned above that make this game anything but mediocre or screaming of f2p.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I still don't see why people are upset about this score being low.   It's a 7.7 or a C+, making it an "OK" game.   It's not the next big thing, but it's hardly a train wreck.   It's a working game with decent enough graphics.   In these parts that's actually an accomplishment.

The combat is an interesting step forward, but the content and game design in all other respects are the mechanics of old.   If you look at everything else outside the combat system, there is nothing to get overly excited about.  Another theme park quest hub grinder where everyone will spam clicking through the text to kill 10 rats or pick 10 flowers.  Honestly for a lot of people that's just fine but the genre is starting to change.

With the collapse of SWTOR and upcoming MMOs deviating a bit more, the market is may be unforgiving to TERA in the long term.   Some of my guildmates call it Aion with crosshairs probably due to the art style and whatnot.  This game will probably go the same route as Rift did.   A working and functioning theme park MMO with 1 twist that will have decent success for the next few months.  Depending what they do during these next months before GW2 rolls out will determine if the game and the devs behind it have what it takes to survive a long term battle against a game with no sub fee with a better presentation overall.  Despite what many will claim, these games are and will be competing over the same group of players.