Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes: First Ever Trailer Released

2»

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I really wish these companies stop using their valuable IP and selling single player game experiences as MMOs. 

And yes I want to create my own custom character.  If I want to be Superman, Batman, et al Ill watch Justice League Unlimited.  It was one of the draws of DCUO for me.

Understand there are those who want to play as the heroes but I find it limiting, especially for something being sold as an MMO where in 90% of them you create your own character.

But I realize now, that this isnt going or is supposed to be an MMO.  This is a console game or concept that they are throwing on the PC, slapping an MMO label to capitalize on re-occurring subs from the fans who will no doubt buy into.

Not for me, an AVID Marvel comic fan.

Excelsior!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I'm actually loving it and looking forward to it. Loved the Ultimate Alliance games and Marvel Super Hero Squad Online is actually a ton of fun, but missing both the adult aesthetic and the deeper gameplay that I'm sure this will offer. I actually agree with the guy, I see no point in making your own character here.

DCUO lets you make your own Super Hero, and that does nothing for me. I have City of Heroes for that, which to me is the better game in the first place. If you're making your own hero, then the universe is really irrelevant, the only benefit I get out of that is the Lore, but I have comic books for that. Lots of them. More than I'll ever admit to, in fact >_>

I'd much rather get to play as my favorite super heroes. That's what make games like UMvC3 so much fun.

As for whether or not there's an audience for this, I don't expect people in these forums to understand that there are. Super Hero Squad Online is huuuuuugely profitable for them and has a huge following both among children and adults, the latter mainly because they love playing as their favorite heroes and its their only option to do so online. Now, that won't be the case. If you want to make your own hero, you have COH/CO/DCUO to do that in. I'm actually very happy Marvel decided to do something different.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I'l pass on this... If i want to play a top-down facebook game wannabe i can think of better games to play, and if i want a good game from that genre i have Diablo 3 and games like that.

This have been a good conversation

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by arescage

Anyone see how pointless making your own hero in DCUO was? Everybody just made all the heroes that they couldn't play as anyway. They know people play Super Hero MMOs for the heroes, not for ugly cos-play clones. I must have seen nothing but Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and Batman clones in DCUO and all of them looked lame compared to the actual heroes who they onbviously wanted foremost.

It was also pretty stupid of DC to do that since people also wound up making a bunch of Marvel heroes in their game. Marvel as a buisness is smart for only promoting their brand and not the compitition. Besides, I loved Ultimate Alliance and now I have it with even more characters and persistent online for free.

It may not be every bodies taste, but there are a bunch of other Super hero MMOs that let you make your character and have WoW-ish features. No need for another clone.

But...

it's a Diablo clone.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I'm actually loving it and looking forward to it. Loved the Ultimate Alliance games and Marvel Super Hero Squad Online is actually a ton of fun, but missing both the adult aesthetic and the deeper gameplay that I'm sure this will offer. I actually agree with the guy, I see no point in making your own character here.

DCUO lets you make your own Super Hero, and that does nothing for me. I have City of Heroes for that, which to me is the better game in the first place. If you're making your own hero, then the universe is really irrelevant, the only benefit I get out of that is the Lore, but I have comic books for that. Lots of them. More than I'll ever admit to, in fact >_>

I'd much rather get to play as my favorite super heroes. That's what make games like UMvC3 so much fun.

As for whether or not there's an audience for this, I don't expect people in these forums to understand that there are. Super Hero Squad Online is huuuuuugely profitable for them and has a huge following both among children and adults, the latter mainly because they love playing as their favorite heroes and its their only option to do so online. Now, that won't be the case. If you want to make your own hero, you have COH/CO/DCUO to do that in. I'm actually very happy Marvel decided to do something different.

I'd have loved it 20 years ago when playing SEGA. There's retro, then there's 'retro'.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

"No one wants to create their own character......". Brian Michael Bendis.

"Brian Michael Bendis is a fu$%ing retard" Spookydom.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

on a gaming fansite, one person wrote this summary

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475084

skimming the site I got this:

• F2P PC exclusive
    • Diablo-like gameplay with randomized environments
    • Play solo or multiplayer with friends
    • Runs on Unreal 3 Engine
    • 12 characters already announced: Wolverine, Thor, Thing, Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Iron Man, Hulk, Deadpool, Cyclops, Captain America, Cable, Black Widow
    • Storm and Human Torch are shown in the headers but don't have any entries yet
    • At least 36 characters total judging by the character slots left
    • Confirmed enemies: Dr. Doom, Purifiers, HYDRA
    • Every hero has 5 stats: Accuracy, Agility, Energy, Strength, Will
    • 1 unique active and passive power each for every hero plus several shared powers
    • Stat-altering gear and costumes (purely cosmetic apparently)
    • Story written by Brian Michael Bendis
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by elocke

That looked like diablo type game with marvel setting and heroes.  Doesn't sound like an MMORPG to me.  No wonder it didn't make sense all this time about us playing as actual superhero characters from the comics.  Now it does.  I kept picturing 3rd person gameplay in a persistant world a la most MMORPGs like WoW, Lotro, EQ2, Rift, etc.  Man this genre has way to many niche type games with their own playstyles all under one label.  That's gotta change.

Yeah I was apprehensive about the game when it was touted as an MMO but as a Diablo like Hack n' Slash dungeon crawler it sounds and looks pretty good.

Their mistake was in stating it would be an MMO. That would tank when people can't make there own hero's/villans and with a lot of what they were saying. As a Diablo 1/2 like game it has potential and I finally have some interest in the game.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    May this trash burn in hell. Creating a character is why most ppl play MMOs. Stupid devs.

Joined - July 2004

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Dreadfull....will die quicker than a lamb in an African savanah

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Wow, I'm seeing "diablo clone" already, lol. Did you guys even look at the website? The game was created by David Brevik. Name sound familiar?

As for the roster, the game is supposed to launch with "more heroes than any other Marvel game". Which means it will likely be more than those 32 slots there shown on the roster page. There's also several heroes you can see in the gameplay video that aren't shown in the roster yet, like Pheonix and Emma Frost.

EDIT: http://superherosquadonline.wikispaces.com/Playable+Characters there's the current roster for the "kiddie" version. Some of those are recent editions, but the game just "launched" recently, it was previously in an open beta state, so most of them are pre-launch characters.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

This looks like a super hero themed top down ARPG. Hmm...

• TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126

Freedom Force, anyone?

Oh wait...you could create and import custom skins in that one.

Never mind.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Hmm... so it's 'Super Hero Squad' for older kids?? I don't think this is what a lot of Marvel fans want from a Marvel 'MMORPG'.  I think like many companies trying to create an MMORPG with an established IP... they're missing the point.

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Fire this man immediately. He's likely already done more than enough damage.

LOL, why are people even paying attention to what Bendis says.  The guys a comic book writer, not a game developer, wtf does he know?  He's also one of there most popular writers; not to mention one of the most succesful. I doubt he's ever getting fired.  He may be an idiot, but he's very good at what he does.  Funny stuff.

I agree with the very first responce, why didn't they just call it Ultimate Alliance: Online.  I can't imagine anyone wouldn't know exactly what the game would be if they did.  It looks exactly like an Ultimate Alliance game, and they were basically diablo type games.

Was never a fan of the Ultimate Alliance games, so I'm not interested in this.

The voice over for Doom was awful.  Very cheesy sounding.

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

Hmm... so it's 'Super Hero Squad' for older kids?? I don't think this is what a lot of Marvel fans want from a Marvel 'MMORPG'.  I think like many companies trying to create an MMORPG with an established IP... they're missing the point.

This right here. Stop him at the door tomorrow morning.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Chopsticks

He's a writer, not a developer.  A 5x eisner award winner in fact. 

It's like the wizard of oz, "IGNORE THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!". The guy writes comic books, ignore him.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Why don't they just come right out and call this "Ultimate Alliance: Online"?

There is no end of the anger I feel about such statements. In games in CoH and CO people spent HOURS every time just creating a new character! People loved doing just that!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Chopsticks

He's a writer, not a developer.  A 5x eisner award winner in fact. 

It's like the wizard of oz, "IGNORE THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!". The guy writes comic books, ignore him.

Yeah, he's the reason I stopped reading Daredevil.image

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I knida like the idea of a diablo type super hero game... sure its not an MMORPG and maybe should not even get a mention on here but still it sounds like a fun co-op game :)

I would give this a go..

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Don't mind not playing my own characters... But I wish it was 3D

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Uhwop

LOL, why are people even paying attention to what Bendis says.  The guys a comic book writer, not a game developer, wtf does he know?  He's also one of there most popular writers; not to mention one of the most succesful. I doubt he's ever getting fired.  He may be an idiot, but he's very good at what he does.  Funny stuff.

I agree with the very first responce, why didn't they just call it Ultimate Alliance: Online.  I can't imagine anyone wouldn't know exactly what the game would be if they did.  It looks exactly like an Ultimate Alliance game, and they were basically diablo type games.

Was never a fan of the Ultimate Alliance games, so I'm not interested in this.

The voice over for Doom was awful.  Very cheesy sounding.

Why pay attention? Because he's the lead writer for this game and apparently has quite the input on how things go.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

Hhehehehe, i continue to find it very funny,how the industry continues to show it has NO one in it that has any  skill beyond rehashing....

Diablo with marvel skins,easily in compettion for the worst "mmo" rehash to date.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I knida like the idea of a diablo type super hero game... sure its not an MMORPG and maybe should not even get a mention on here but still it sounds like a fun co-op game :)

I would give this a go..

I'm definitely more curious about the title now that I've seen the trailer. Is there any word out on how large group sizes might be? From the trailer it looks like it's a multiplayer ARPG but I'd imagine if there were raids with 10, 20 or more players I could see it being a MMO-ARPG. A 20 man raid on a Diablo-esque boss could wind up being a giant charlie foxtrot though.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by pierth

I'm definitely more curious about the title now that I've seen the trailer. Is there any word out on how large group sizes might be? From the trailer it looks like it's a multiplayer ARPG but I'd imagine if there were raids with 10, 20 or more players I could see it being a MMO-ARPG. A 20 man raid on a Diablo-esque boss could wind up being a giant charlie foxtrot though.

there hasnt been much info

David Brevik is being heralded as the creator of this game

http://www.marvelheroes.com/game-info

Marvel Heroes is a free-to-play MMO Action RPG created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo and a team of industry veterans assembled specifically for this project.

Marvel Heroes combines core gameplay elements of Diablo with the expansive library of characters from the Marvel Universe.

• Engage in Action-RPG-style gameplay, but in an MMO world.
    • Team up online with your friends, or play solo.
    • Randomly generated environments are different every time you play.