Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a trick to enjoying most F2P type games?

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Loke666

Low expectations and your own bag of crisps....

I think that people who closed/narrow minded have the hardest time just trying to have fun.

I think people analyze things too much instead of just letting go and enjoy yourself.

People comparing the game they try to all other games and so on. Don´t expect anything, just give it a go and forget about everything else for the time.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by elocke

A Lobotomy.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• norman728norman728 Member UncommonPosts: 146

Originally posted by norman728 The Real trick to enjoying F2P games is the same as Sub games Put the MM back in MMORPG find a group of people to run Instances or Raids with or even join a PUG. I have Played all the games you mentioned(still do except WOW) and when I am Soloing I get bored real quick like anyone does, but when I join even a PUG and I Have people to run with or just gab about it makes the game more fun. Play an alt which forces you to change your Play style. Join a Guild that focuses on Sieges or instance running. I had great fun with the little guild I ran with back in WOW. MY Kinship In LOTRO has it moments too. The Grind is still the biggest gripe with any MMO. Me I try to enjoy the journey to endgame and not rush forward. A game is only a chore if you make it one. Take a break or play another game. switching between games(provided they are different enough) also forces you to change playstyles. all in all it's in what you make it.
    Hmm, that's a good point.  Every F2P I've ever tried, I never really was looking for friends or community, I was looking for gameplay and immersion.  Guess that has to do with their budget, since they never have it.  So I guess the trick, would actually be to play with people in those games.  Hmmm.  

Gameplay and Immersion is becoming less and less a priority as most games that try to change any of those peak fast and die down quickly, with people going back to familiar ground. Why fix what's broke. Community IS a big party of making a game fun. one of the other complaints on the board is the <BLANK> community sucks, which is why I play <BLANK>. Immersion I admit can be hard as Games now are all same Crap different Can. Finding a game world that appeals is all part of the journey but eventually no matter how Immersive eventually will peter out.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Elocke, you've probably already tried LOTRO but if you haven't and you enjoy that story, you might want to check it out.

Turbine's F2P model has been touted as one of the few genuine F2P success stories for the company and the players, and I'd agree (looks like GW2 will have a similar model).

I purposely didn't mention Lotro or other converts because they were sub based first and still can be.  Very different gameplay to those anyway.  Plus, I have a lifetime sub to Lotro and play it from time to time, hehe.  Guess I'm specifically looking at eastern F2Ps.  I want to enjoy em, but they never grab me. 

From these and your other posts, it seems like your issue is primarily the business model and the style of content is secondary to that. In that light, i would say stop trying to figure out why you don't like something and just play what you do enjoy.

I don't like hummus. I don't care why i don't like it and I'm not about to try sampling all the hummus out there to figure it out.

That was a horrible analogy.  A better one would be I like Cheeseburgers.  There are tons of restaurants around that make cheeseburgers yet not all of them taste the same.  Some suck, some don't.  My issue is with certain restaurants having awesome pics of their burgers and I go and find them bland yet for some reason, the place is popular.  Like TGIFriday's.  So, is there a trick to liking them?  Burning half my taste buds out?  Drinking so much I can't taste the actual burger?  

Now apply that analogy to MMORPGs and F2P versions.  

As for your business model comment, I just use the business model label here, because they do reflect the style of content.  I have yet to play a F2P that lived up to Freemium or subscription based games.  Although, to be fair, some sub/freemium games aren't that good and should be F2Ps, lol, like Tera.

"There are tons of restaurants around that make cheeseburgers yet not all of them taste the same.  Some suck, some don't.  My issue is with certain restaurants having awesome pics of their burgers and I go and find them bland yet for some reason, the place is popular.  Like TGIFriday's.  So, is there a trick to liking them?  Burning half my taste buds out?  Drinking so much I can't taste the actual burger?"

Then it seems your issue is that you either have some personal need to either like what others like or you question your own taste in things.  Either way, my advice would be to just not play those games. You already know you don't like them, so it's odd that you are trying to find ways to force yourself to do so, especially since your examples indicate that you see such a process as a punishing or painful path.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I play a few eastern F2P games included Runes of Magic, Eden Eternal, Perfect World, and others.  There is no trick, other than you play the game for what it offers.  You also have to know what type of gamer you are.  I'm not a PvP person so dont care or understand the P2W.  I play for the exploration, crafting, and leveling aspects.  I like seeing my character grow.

Finding a set group of other (like the previous post mentioned) is also a good idea as it introduces the social aspect.

I like particular types of games, specifically I prefer anime inspired, and a more colorful/whimsical type of world than say an ultra realistic one.  F2P excel in this space and give me a breath of options to search and play through.  I look for a particular feel to a game which is why I go through so many F2P.  Ether Saga Online was cute, but gameplay was too slow.  Allods was beautiful but I couldnt get into the lore, it didnt excite me to go on. Perfect world was fun but I didnt like the interface and combat was bland. I could go on and on...  The point is stick with the ones you like, and know what you are looking for.

Some of them like Runes of Magic can be surprisingly deep in the things you are allowed to do.  I never pay a dime, well thats a lie, but when I do pay its to get extra bag space or a mount.  I figure if I can spend 15/mo on a sub I can spend up to 15 on a F2P game.

Personally I would love to see someone re-create an updated 16bit old school MMO in the vein of Chrono Trigger, but with all the MMO fixins.  Give me a larger world since Im not constrained by a physical medium like a cartridge.  Increase the asset management to something more sophisticated.  The story can be cliche but add some depth and dramatic air to it.  I dont care if Im an amnesiac child who is destined to fight the "evil one" to save the world.  Just flesh out the characters in the story and make the evil one a bad ass.  MMO combat (tab/hotkey) would work great here as I loved the old turn-based model.

Hell, if someone made that I'd pay for it even if it was F2P.

What these developers are missing is, if you enchant the player the money will follow.  Give us something we WANT to play and you will be paid.  Maybe a bit more niche seeing how we are a MUCH MORE diverse community than when I started gaming in '78 but it would be consistent income to support the game.

Here's to wishful thinking...

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Any advice or theories on this, I would love to read and hear about.  Thanks in advance.

My only advice (not a theory): Scotch.

And don't skimp. Get the good stuff.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Elocke, you've probably already tried LOTRO but if you haven't and you enjoy that story, you might want to check it out.

Turbine's F2P model has been touted as one of the few genuine F2P success stories for the company and the players, and I'd agree (looks like GW2 will have a similar model).

I purposely didn't mention Lotro or other converts because they were sub based first and still can be.  Very different gameplay to those anyway.  Plus, I have a lifetime sub to Lotro and play it from time to time, hehe.  Guess I'm specifically looking at eastern F2Ps.  I want to enjoy em, but they never grab me. 

From these and your other posts, it seems like your issue is primarily the business model and the style of content is secondary to that. In that light, i would say stop trying to figure out why you don't like something and just play what you do enjoy.

I don't like hummus. I don't care why i don't like it and I'm not about to try sampling all the hummus out there to figure it out.

That was a horrible analogy.  A better one would be I like Cheeseburgers.  There are tons of restaurants around that make cheeseburgers yet not all of them taste the same.  Some suck, some don't.  My issue is with certain restaurants having awesome pics of their burgers and I go and find them bland yet for some reason, the place is popular.  Like TGIFriday's.  So, is there a trick to liking them?  Burning half my taste buds out?  Drinking so much I can't taste the actual burger?  

Now apply that analogy to MMORPGs and F2P versions.  

As for your business model comment, I just use the business model label here, because they do reflect the style of content.  I have yet to play a F2P that lived up to Freemium or subscription based games.  Although, to be fair, some sub/freemium games aren't that good and should be F2Ps, lol, like Tera.

"There are tons of restaurants around that make cheeseburgers yet not all of them taste the same.  Some suck, some don't.  My issue is with certain restaurants having awesome pics of their burgers and I go and find them bland yet for some reason, the place is popular.  Like TGIFriday's.  So, is there a trick to liking them?  Burning half my taste buds out?  Drinking so much I can't taste the actual burger?"

Then it seems your issue is that you either have some personal need to either like what others like or you question your own taste in things.  Either way, my advice would be to just not play those games. You already know you don't like them, so it's odd that you are trying to find ways to force yourself to do so, especially since your examples indicate that you see such a process as a punishing or painful path.

Stop trying to analyze me, please.  My post isn't meant to be negative but an actual search for the trick to making these games playable.  Like if I asked someone how they could possibly play solitaire all day long.  I am genuinely curious what their mindset is and how they do it, in case I am ever in a similar mindset or ...something.  Lol.  Just a simple question, not an invitation to Psych 101 on Elocke, rofl.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by s1fu71

Any advice or theories on this, I would love to read and hear about.  Thanks in advance.

My only advice (not a theory): Scotch.

And don't skimp. Get the good stuff.

So..what do you consider "the good stuff"?

What's the good stuff? Purely preference.

All of my friends vary in what scotch they like as much as MMO's they play.

Personally, any single malt 12 years or older.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

Here's a good link for ya:

http://www.cracked.com/funny-2113-scotch/

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

There is no short answer to be found. The f2p market has evolved to the point where there are too many game breaking items available in the cash shops and the are frequently account bound.

When I first started playing online games on a budget I could at least get the majority of cash shop items in game from the community. The prices were often over the top, but my hard work could keep me at par with nearly everyone else. These games are now designed around forcing you to spend your own money, if the item is not account bound, they are items that are required to enchant successfully or to save your gear from being destroyed and therefore priced to gouge the players.

Ten years ago I could spare the time to farm game currency and keep up. These days I just have no choice, spend my cash or be left behind.

The quality of games has dropped to the point where f2p seems to be part of the develpment structure of even the p2p games as cash shops are popping up in AAA titles( or the frame work for them seems to be) and I suspect the future is goind to be p2p plus cash shop before long.

Thanks to companies like Blizzard geting the single player games bound to online only, cash shops will be the next step for other markets as well. I can hear the greedy suits cackling and rubbing their hands together in anticipation of thier newest method to draw money from our wallets. The online single player rpg market with cash shop is next....yay!

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I don't understand why you have to enjoy f2p games.  If you dont' like it don't play it.

That being said.  Many people play f2p games because they dont' have money.  I played a f2p game for 2 year because that particular game is the most fun mmorpg I ever played. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by laokoko

I don't understand why you have to enjoy f2p games.  If you dont' like it don't play it.

People don't play most F2P games because they like them more then AAA pay to play ones... 'Free' overrides everything. People will piss their lives away playing uttter crap as long as it's free.

AND they will spend money in the cash shop while they do it... still thinking it's good because it's 'free'.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Easy way to enjoy FTP : Don't worrie about trying to keep up with the jones , as soon as you get it in your head you not as good geared your fun is over ..

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by laokoko

People don't play most F2P games because they like them more then AAA pay to play ones... 'Free' overrides everything. People will piss their lives away playing uttter crap as long as it's free.

AND they will spend money in the cash shop while they do it... still thinking it's good because it's 'free'.

Over generalization. I play both AAA and F2P.  I play F2P because they offer experiences I cant get in AAA P2P titles.  Again, it comes down to what you like to play.  Shouldnt matter if its B2P, P2P, or F2P.

I guess I understand the cash shop statements, but feel it overshadows the fun you could have if you tried.  I have only heard/seen CS being a problem to those who PVP or chase the gear mill.  I play Eden Eternal and havent personally had a problem or CS issue that didnt let me progress.  Yeah it takes me longer to level but I personally prefer that.  I have never found anything in the cash shop that I felt compelled to have - with the exception of more bag space, but I had to pay for that in EQ2 as a platinum subscriber.  

There are the people who spend thousands of dollars on F2P games, but that does not represent the whole population or the ONLY experience you can have with F2P games.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I really don't think it has anything to do with the payment type. Many of the Free To Play games just aren't on par with the subscription games or Freemium games. The cash shops are more or less appearing in all three these days.

Free to Play is often smaller budget, using the free hook to get you to try their games. As a result the quality level is often not on par with large budget titles.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I don't see the P2P and F2P games themselves as being all that different, if games of a given level of completion* and similar designs are compared.

Just ignore the payment method and look at the game itself.  If it's entertaining, it's worth playing.  If not, skip it.

* buggy, incomplete and poorly-crafted versus highly polished and well-crafted

True. Problem is when certain business model suck enjoyment out of you. 

But I guess it only affects some players. It affects me, but it does not affect many other people.

If you can enjoy F2P game then by all means go for it. I tried many times, but CS and game build around it just collide with my personal beliefs what rpg game is about.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by stragen001

A Lobotomy.

I LOL'ed.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Yeah I've tried many of the F2P games too and the only one that I stuck with was Atlantica Online.  It was different enough from the current norm that the grind didn't bother me.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville