Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is dead, sleeping with the rest of the lot

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Q-Q-Q-Q-Quadruple post!

TOR is dying. Other, better game are coming. I can't wait to read the thread where they document the downward spiral on this site.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by colddog04

Q-Q-Q-Q-Quadruple post!

TOR is dying. Other, better game are coming. I can't wait to read the thread where they document the downword spiral on this site.

Would be great if they predicate it with their other article they did where the writer's wrote those ridiculous reviews after playing the game for a few hours.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

In the software business, there's a saying about third time's the charm. The first project, you don't know what you are doing, and fail. The 2nd project., you THINK you know what you are doing, try to do way too much, and fail. The third time, you know to do just enough, and you can succeed.

SWTOR looks like a 1.5 to me, they didn't know enough about MMO's to make a good one; and they THOUGHT they knew enough about games, so that they made a huge complication of thousands of voiceovers, etc.

Perhaps if they do another MMO, it will come out right.

It was obvious to me, after playing for an hour, that I wouldn't like the game. The world was dead. It kinda made me wonder if any real MMO designers were in on the original world development ...

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by olepi

In the software business, there's a saying about third time's the charm. The first project, you don't know what you are doing, and fail. The 2nd project., you THINK you know what you are doing, try to do way too much, and fail. The third time, you know to do just enough, and you can succeed.

SWTOR looks like a 1.5 to me, they didn't know enough about MMO's to make a good one; and they THOUGHT they knew enough about games, so that they made a huge complication of thousands of voiceovers, etc.

Perhaps if they do another MMO, it will come out right.

It was obvious to me, after playing for an hour, that I wouldn't like the game. The world was dead. It kinda made me wonder if any real MMO designers were in on the original world development ...

That sounds pretty accurate.  They said it would be dumb to not copy WoW, despite all the recent WoW clone failures.  They made a WoW clone, and it failed.  Big f*ing surprise. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

However, on the Consumer side, first impressions mean alot. If you arent good right out the gate, you dont always get a second (or third) chance.

Though Funcom seems to be an exception. AO=fail, AoC=fail, yet they still have a fanbase willing to throw $$ at them for TSW.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I love it. I can't wait for the truth to catch up to EA and there stock prices to plummet. Then I will pick up some for pennies on the dollar. Then hopefully that buyout rumor comes true.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

It can't be blamed on fanboys or haters, or constructive criticism.  The blame is on the companies involved.  They are the ones who ultimately have the final say.  The developers' vision on the direction of the game can also be blamed.

Anyway, this is all common sense, yet most people ignore this.

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

well i was playing since october/november beta... was in second wave of preorder invites, played really actively till late march / early april... and for me playing active is 6-8 hours every day, saturday sunday 8-14... currently on 47legacy level...

fun part is, i really AM living in basement... kinda :P

so im the stereotype nolife i think ( "no life and proud" to paraphrase Mystique and ProfX from X-Men:First Class)

wasnt online in TOR since 15.05... never enough people in guild online to do even 8EV/HM we all know why :P

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Yes. The game is dead... wait.... except for the fact that they have 1.3 million subscribers.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Jakard

Yes. The game is dead... wait.... except for the fact that they have 1.3 million subscribers.

Yeah, and its still growing! amirite?

Subs are not dropping! amirite?

We have 1,7m subscribers, although, as we learned (and what lot of us pretty much knew because of how their PR was set up), a bit over half are actually SUBSCRIBED.amirtie?

We have 1,3m subs. AMIRITE!

We are not laying off bunch of people because we wont even have 500k subs to break even. AMIRITE?

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Ive never played SWTOR or showed any interest in it. That said, i can understand the fans frustration with the neverending hate train it gets. 

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

they have 1.3mil active accounts... not subscribers anymore, my account is active and willbe for next 20 days, i know roughly 10 other people in same situation, i think real numbers we will see in july, when all 3month subs from 1.2 will end, those willbe almost real numbers

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

SWTOR is dead because you are not there :)  You are really not bored people with posting same crap all over

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Another tool who believes the spin. Shitty companies depend on you for survival. Good job!

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

Dead Servers and the crappy troper 2nd and 3rd chapter story killed the game for me.

I think the max I saw in Imperial Fleet was around 30ish on a pick hour and Max ppl I saw in Black Hole were 7...right after it was realeased. I just felt the game as a crappy single player game and nothing else. Why pay a montly sub for tranvesti MMO when you can just buy a Single player game?

The legacy system was a huge fail - I tried to reach max possible Legacy level b4 1.2 just to realised that because I didnt exploited Slicing in lower levels I didnt had nuff money to buy the really expensive legacy stuffs.

One thing they said with 1.2 : "Modifiable weapons and armor can now be reverse engineered and researched into empty, custom (orange) shells with the same name and appearance, adding a wide variety of new outfits to the game." I Like several player I stack my favority looking gear in my bank and you all know what happened...

Swtor may still have hunders maybe a mil subber but that will change after the free week ends wich is suppose to be this week or somehing for most player and after that I can see players looking for 2 hours for a team mate for an Heroic 2 Mission...so sad.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Lets face it, TOR is a gonner, sleeping with his fail wow clone friends.

Sure if you like the game and not bored or whatever is posted on these boards, good for you but the reality is, the game is dying really fast.

Sad really , Bioware is part of EA, and EA just want fastfood and move to the next project.

ahh the quest for the mythical "WoW Clone" is still on. I think just like all the other "WoW Clone" Hunters you are just a closet fanboi for WoW. If you want to get techinical about it WoW in itself is a clone of every offline and online RPG that came out before it. Also every RPG both online and offline are a clone of Dungeons & Dragons, because without it there would be no RPG gaming catagory.  The only way there will ever be a "WoW Clone" is if Blizzard comes out with World of Warcraft 2. Just because a MMO comes out after WoW does not make it a "Clone" when will you closet fanbois get that through your thick skull. Do I have to spell out the differences in single sylable words? Also TOR is not dead. Is it at a low point? Yes. Will it bounce back? Possibly, only time will tell. Also if EA Only wanted fastfood type games it would not have allowed The Sims Online to last as long as it did.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Metentso
    where is MMO.Maverik and his 2000 hours of replayability.
    hahahah yeah i remember that guy.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Sure if you like the game and not bored or whatever is posted on these boards, good for you but the reality is, the game is dying really fast.

Sad really , Bioware is part of EA, and EA just want fastfood and move to the next project.

So sick of hearing all these stupid dead game posts on practicly every mmo on this site. I don't like SWTOR but you people need get you're facts strait, or at least do some research for a baseline to backup you're claims, because most of the crap I read on this site is 80% bullshit.

SWTOR is not a dead game, regardless of how many (I HATE THIS GAME) people "think" it is. There is just as many people playing it as there is Age of Conan, Rift, Everquest 2. None of these games are dead, and won't be for a very long time. Just because you and I don't like the game or understand why people play them doesn't mean they are "Dead"

You want to know what a "Dead" MMO means? it means when there is only 1 or 2 servers left and the company has no more resources to put into the game anymore, It usually happins right before the game get's shut down IE (SWG, Auto Assualt, ShadowBane, Tabula Rasa, The Matrix Online. <-- Those are dead games

Understand?

No probably not...

It amazes me the human race has surivied this long..

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by trash656

So sick of hearing all these stupid dead game posts on practicly every mmo on this site. I don't like SWTOR but you people need get you're facts strait, or at least do some research for a baseline to backup you're claims, because most of the crap I read on this site is 80% bullshit.

SWTOR is not a dead game, regardless of how many (I HATE THIS GAME) people "think" it is. There is just as many people playing it as there is Age of Conan, Rift, Everquest 2. None of these games are dead, and won't be for a very long time. Just because you and I don't like the game or understand why people play them doesn't mean they are "Dead"

You want to know what a "Dead" MMO means? it means when there is only 1 or 2 servers left and the company has no more resources to put into the game anymore, It usually happins right before the game get's shut down IE (SWG, Auto Assualt, ShadowBane, Tabula Rasa, The Matrix Online. <-- Those are dead games

Understand?

No probably not...

It amazes me the human race has surivied this long..

So a game thats still alive, with active playerbase and 1-2 active servers is dead by your logic, right? Does that mean EvE is dead? :)

Probably not wise to troll someone for not understanding what "dead" means and then get it wrong yourself ;)

Should have opened with your final comment, I realise you probably didn't mean what you posted but it's still amusing :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by colddog04

Q-Q-Q-Q-Quadruple post!

TOR is dying. Other, better game are coming. I can't wait to read the thread where they document the downword spiral on this site.

Would be great if they predicate it with their other article they did where the writer's wrote those ridiculous reviews after playing the game for a few hours.

Oh.  MSNBC awarded Star Wars: The Old Republic as game of the year!   PCGamer told us for a FACT that each story had 200 hours of unique main-class story!    I didn't have 200 hours to get to end game AND 80% to 90% were non-unique side-quests.

(For the record, BioWare was the one that said it was 200 hours.  They started touting that 'fact' in 2010.  The PCGamer reviewer was just a fanboy giving a fanboy review.)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

However, on the Consumer side, first impressions mean alot. If you arent good right out the gate, you dont always get a second (or third) chance.

Though Funcom seems to be an exception. AO=fail, AoC=fail, yet they still have a fanbase willing to throw $$ at them for TSW.

No.  I have that one on hold...   EA + Funcom...   A recipie for epic disaster.   I'm just going to wait that one out.   See how it's doing after a year or two...

And two weeks before that they said no drop in subs.  Only you can't lie in your financials without the SEC putting you in jail, so they didn't.

But what they didn't tell us was how many were inactive.   When people quit, they leave time on their accounts.   Sometimes significant amounts of time.   I wouldn't be surprised to see the next call, just 8 or so weeks away, to be under 750K as the inactives fail to renew.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

SWTOR isnt dead. It is losing subs like crazy though, but that is expected to happen with a game with no legs. I had a lot of fun with my first 2 plays throughs. I hope in a couple of years they fix and add to the game to make it more then a co-op rpg.

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

Here we go again. Is dead, and still have more subs than any other P2P MMO but WoW, most of the playerbase is waiting for free tranfers to come back. Even if they lose 300k more subs in the next weeks, how a MMO with 1mill of subs is dead?. What about tera Then, 11 servers, just 2 of them heavy, 1 standard and the rest is Low, but lets just say that SWTOR is dead.