Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly no BWE this weekend. *Confirmed*

Comments

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Y7ScfaVHs

LMAO... true, so very true!

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35

I think this thread has been a bounce and a bounce. They did not give any expectation to when they would launch when they offered the pre-order for release date. The promised access to Beta Events not how many or how often. They did give  us the post with we will try to have 1 a month and a stress when they stated they could almost 100% say there would not be one this weekend.  That is the closest we have come to what and how often since this has begun. Thus no matter what we think, would like, or have set as our on expectation not one Pre-Purchase did so with any promises of these date. Like everyone else, I do want a released game, as much time in game as possible. I also feel anything longer that Sept Release concidering we have paid for the game would be not good at all for A-net simply because they took early payment for the game.  But knowing how strong they are on customer satisfation, they have all this in mind as well. We will just have to wait and see. As to those that have life issues and want a late release I have to laugh, if you can not take care of your life if a game to paly is there then you need to not but anything until you can keep up. 

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by lilHeala
    Originally posted by IPolygon

They should at least know when their employees go on vacation and when it's good timing to support BWEs. I can't believe they don't know whether there is going to be one this month, that would just show a badly organized company. Just say so, if there is not going to be one and people will accept it. This whole beating around the bush is unprofessional.

It makes more sense to say when there actually is one than to say each week that there isn't.

Also not having one and not being able to state when there'll be one has nothing to do with the company being badly organised. They want to have some changes in place before the next BWE and have solved the biggest / most annoying issues because else folks will start complaining that nothing has changed and they don't see any progress at all. As long as the minimum of these changes they definitely want in before the next BWE aren't near to ready they won't be able to set a definite date for the next BWE because it's extremely hard to estimate how long some things will take to develop if you don't know yet what the solution is going to be; especially on such short time schedule as aiming for 1 per month.

You missed the point. They could easily say that there won't be a BWE this month, when they don't know how or when they will solve a couple of issues. They are beating around the bush when it comes to definite answers, this is fact. And they have been asked whether there is going to be one this week. Just outright say that you cannot do something, it's better than answering in 3 vague paragraphs.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by lilHeala

They should at least know when their employees go on vacation and when it's good timing to support BWEs. I can't believe they don't know whether there is going to be one this month, that would just show a badly organized company. Just say so, if there is not going to be one and people will accept it. This whole beating around the bush is unprofessional.

It makes more sense to say when there actually is one than to say each week that there isn't.

Also not having one and not being able to state when there'll be one has nothing to do with the company being badly organised. They want to have some changes in place before the next BWE and have solved the biggest / most annoying issues because else folks will start complaining that nothing has changed and they don't see any progress at all. As long as the minimum of these changes they definitely want in before the next BWE aren't near to ready they won't be able to set a definite date for the next BWE because it's extremely hard to estimate how long some things will take to develop if you don't know yet what the solution is going to be; especially on such short time schedule as aiming for 1 per month.

You missed the point. They could easily say that there won't be a BWE this month, when they don't know how or when they will solve a couple of issues. They are beating around the bush when it comes to definite answers, this is fact. And they have been asked whether there is going to be one this week. Just outright say that you cannot do something, it's better than answering in 3 vague paragraphs.

Yeah, this is what bothers me about the communications policies the company enforces. What is the point of not being willing to just come right out and say "We won't be having a BWE this month", assuming they know that there won't be one this month? Why rely on a facebook post to, as you say, beat around the bush, when a "non-dancey dance" announcement would have served everyone much better?

Don't they realize that many people need to plan ahead to ensure they have a clear schedule for these events? The (roughly) once a month time schedule just makes it an even bigger hassle if you aren't able to plan ahead to make a particular event. You can't just write a missed weekend off with the knowledge that you'll have another shot in a week or two. If you miss a WBE, it might be five or more weeks until the next one!

By not coming right out and ruling out a weekend publically, as soon as they have ruled it out internally, they freeze people in place and force people who need to make arrangements for free time, in advance, to make those adjustments based on a "best guess".

It really comes off as a pathelogical inability to just be straight with the facts and once a company earns a reputation for slipperiness, it's hard to break it. The real shame is that the game lives up to the expectations surrounding it, which makes the obtuse communication strategy painfully unnecassary!

This is not the fault of the CMs, who are the mouthpieces for the company. I often get a sense that they find the contortions they are forced into as painful as we do and I'm sure it produces a great amount of stress for everyone involved.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

Next weekend considering the last one was on the weekend of April the 27th? I really so no reason to bash anet for no bwe this weekend.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

What do you mean possibly? It isn't going to happen. Memorial Day weekend folks. Like I said when this topic was brought up early last week they aren't going to have their people testing through the holiday weekend. Wouldn't be even a good weekend for players because many will be out of town, camping, celebrating, etc. Not viable from either perspective.

Probably have something the week after though. :P

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

What do you mean possibly? It isn't going to happen. Memorial Day weekend folks. Like I said when this topic was brought up early last week they aren't going to have their people testing through the holiday weekend. Wouldn't be even a good weekend for players because many will be out of town, camping, celebrating, etc. Not viable from either perspective.

I couldn't care less about Memorial Day, since I'm not from the US. The same happens in Europe and the rest of the world (after all, it is a global launch). I wouldn't be surprised if the company crunches during the holiday for the final sprint towards release.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

I couldn't care less about Memorial Day, since I'm not from the US. The same happens in Europe and the rest of the world (after all, it is a global launch). I wouldn't be surprised if the company crunches during the holiday for the final sprint towards release.

I agree with you that this sort of thing sucks, but most companies from the US seem to follow these holidays even if the game is global. I'm not in the BWE so it doesn't affect me, but I guess it is preety annoying for people who prepurchased and have to follow these "rules" even if they're not from the US.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

When I posted this, ArenaNet did not officially say that there is not going to be BWE this weekend. So that's why it's possibly.

Apparently ANet doesn't even know for sure yet. This was posted on their Twitter:

Some random dude: "I love you guys (in a manly way), but please, can you not just for once be direct and say yes/no/not sure to a BWE this weekend?"

ArenaNet: "As soon as we know for sure, you will know for sure. ~RB2"

In other words, there is still a chance, albeit small, that not only will I get to eat some delicious BBQ and get a bit shitfaced, I may, just may, be able to play GW2 as well.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

If they don't announce it tomorrow (European time/later today US), it won't happen this weekend i'd say.

Most likely, this will also "delay" (they haven't been determined, technically they can't be delayed) all further BWEs - they aimed for one per month, but came across some issues that take longer. Where arey the gonna take that time from to catch up again?

Even if it would run extremly smooth, there is so much left to do. Why should they squeeze in another BWE, when they can simply follow the one per month outline and fix what they wanted to fix between these two?

If they somehow end up with time left over after everything is done, they could launch earlier or do stuff they wanted to do after launch - i doubt this is gonna happen though

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Anireth

If they don't announce it tomorrow (European time/later today US), it won't happen this weekend i'd say.

Most likely, this will also "delay" (they haven't been determined, technically they can't be delayed) all further BWEs - they aimed for one per month, but came across some issues that take longer. Where arey the gonna take that time from to catch up again?

Even if it would run extremly smooth, there is so much left to do. Why should they squeeze in another BWE, when they can simply follow the one per month outline and fix what they wanted to fix between these two?

If they somehow end up with time left over after everything is done, they could launch earlier or do stuff they wanted to do after launch - i doubt this is gonna happen though

Except it's based on feedback, according to Anet. I would think it's reasonable to expect that with a system based on consumer feedback, the time between the first and second BWE would be the longest, with all subsequent waiting periods becoming gradually shorter. This is, of course, assuming the game just constantly gets better the closer it gets to launch.

Considering there are no set dates for BWE, or even release date, they aren't really loosing any time. They may have an internal launch date, but that can change as necessary.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

These guys are in the U.S. and whether you like it or not that usually is how it goes with the company associated with the product. Doesn't matter if you care or not. Matters if they do.

There is no need for them to "sprint" since they have no set launch date and they certainly haven't given any indication they plan on doing so either.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

These guys are in the U.S. and whether you like it or not that usually is how it goes with the company associated with the product. Doesn't matter if you care or not. Matters if they do.

There is no need for them to "sprint" since they have no set launch date and they certainly haven't given any indication they plan on doing so either.

Well, your guess is as good as mine, but they remain just that, guesses. It could go either way. I know many companies who skip holidays if there is an important schedule goal nearby.

While we do not know the 'set date' for the launch, they most certainly do so internally. If they are running  short on time, they could very well make a focused push in this holiday.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Well if they wait too long to release the game, they'll end up losing their fanbase. 

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

They posted again - looks like there's a confirmed no on this weekend.

http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Token1337Guy

They posted again - looks like there's a confirmed no on this weekend.

http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2

I didn't think there would be one. For those of you who are lazy:

"Many of you have been asking about when we will have our second Beta Weekend Event. As we are approaching a long weekend in many parts of the world, we understand that some of you want to make plans for that. To help you with that we can confirm that we will NOT be running BWE2 this coming weekend. 

Our BWE1 was super successful, we exceeded our expectations. As some of you might have experienced first hand, this lead to some technical issues. To make sure we are not running into the same situation for BWE2, we recently had a stress test, and we are currently deploying a lot of additional hardware in our datacenters. 

We will be able to tell you exactly when BWE2 will take place as soon as all the hardware has been deployed. We are not withholding a date intentionally, we want to make sure that BWE2 will be a really great experience for all of you.

I hope this helps a bit in understanding where we are standing – you all have a really relaxing long weekend! ~MK"

• Ah they are doing hardware installs things start to make more and more sense.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

So some things that Anet says about their game is Gospel, but on other matters it's perfectly ok for them to not stick to their word.  Yea they didn't guarantee beta weekends every month, but they said it would happen. Just like they didn't guarantee any of the things they said would be in the game, but you guys sure act like it when someone says otherwise.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

So some things that Anet says about their game is Gospel, but on other matters it's perfectly ok for them to not stick to their word.  Yea they didn't guarantee beta weekends every month, but they said it would happen. Just like they didn't guarantee any of the things they said would be in the game, but you guys sure act like it when someone says otherwise.

If they didn't guarantee something than what they said would happen is irrelevent. Besides, every single post, comment or tweet from ANet regarding BWEs has made it clear that although they want to have BWEs every month, it may not happen. I don't see the issue here. The game is not launched yet and is in heavy development. They have a huge list of stuff they have to fix, balance and implement for launch.

Ultimately BWEs are irrelevent. What's imporant is the release. I'd rather miss a bunch of BWE and have the game launch quicker and in better shape. But whatever, certain people will attempt to use anything in an attempt to discredit the game and the developer.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i remember read something say arenanet only want to do 2 or 3 BW until release. i dont remember where i saw this if was on twitter or facebook.

i believe after BW2 the game will be ready to release. 

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Okay, NOW I'm offically upset about the "When it's Ready" bull that Arena.net is using.  Reason? Because they tease us with a touch of a game that is in greater state than SW:TOR is currently, and more content and map coverage than Rift currently....

.../BUT, the tease is that we don't get to touch it again for over a month later, and that eventually 3-5 months from now it MAY be out released.  HOWEVER, because they wanted their Q1 of 2012 to be fluffed for NCSoft, they presell the game to those eagerly waiting and wanting the game to only have our money paid for the game but not able to play it for months down the line.   I'm estimating at earliest a 6 month wait after the pre-sell before release.  That means ....November release?  With them dragging their feet in prep for "perfection", that's the forecast.  Which sucks.

Sorry, I'm just ranting because I get a 3-day weekend and nothing to do.  I live by the beach and go every weekend, so this weekend isn't something special to "vacation" about.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It would have been great to have the BWE over the long US weekend, but I'm very thankful they told us for sure it will not be this weekend and shared the reasons why. Also very glad to hear there is upgraded hardware inbound for the servers for the next BWE!

I'm hopeful as well that we are getting close to release. It would make sense if they want this next BWE to be perfect that it might be a litmus test for them feeling more confident about a release date.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

oh unsurprising gw2 fans whining as usual. what is worse is they are doing as a result of their suggestions being  implemented into the game. I feel bad for the devs sometimes.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by silvermember

oh unsurprising gw2 fans whining as usual. what is worse is they are doing as a result of their suggestions being  implemented into the game. I feel bad for the devs sometimes.

wow, what a negitive and insulting post. I mean, people can get a little snippy around here, but that post was just mean. You went out of your way just to insult people that are looking forward to a game. I didnt even really see much "whinning" as you called it even. Just.. Wow, why?