Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR vs. SWG survey

1235»

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Rikus25
    Originally posted by Xthos

TOR has pluses in it, if just due to it being more modern in the survey.

I think the biggest problem for SoE was Lucas Arts, when you have a IP, and they have ultimate control and final say, it can be like a football team with a owner that thinks he should be the GM/Coach.  This plagued SWG, and to be honest, I would not be suprised if it doesn't hit (may have already to an extent) TOR.

The problem was not Lucasarts. Lucasarts actually was pretty well hands off at first. It wasnt until the NGE that they started getting involved because of all the hate mail they were receiving. SOE basically said they needed it to be more like EQ II because they did not have the resources to maintain all the different class posibilities. They wanted to focus more on EQ II than SWG and that was SOE not Lucasarts.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/12/soes-smed-feels-sorry-for-swgs-nge/

Found this earlier today about Smedly who was a complete butthead towards the community who had a petition signed of over 250k players asking them to roll it back. In which he gave us the bird and said he knew best and it was not going to happen.

You don't bite the hand that allows you to run a mmo for your company....LA was the reason for the CU/NGE imo, Smed ran out a bunch of cover stories, with weak backing imo....Not a lot of classes, more like EQ2....If I remember right, EQ2 has a ton of classes (I don't play it)....

Smed was a jerk, not gonna say he wasn't, but he was a powerless jerk, because LA had final say on what went on with SWG....If you have final say, you also have first, right of refusal, etc... As much as people hate Smed/SoE, they often give LA a pass, and no quote or anything else is going to change that. LA was the boss/majority share holder for the game, when it came to decissions...I also state, I had never seen a mmo designer completely change a game, like they did at the stage it was in...You don't do that, unless you HAVE to do it...

As for some people arguements, and taking things out of context, I prefaced what all I said earlier with what fixes I thought they needed to do...I didn't run around saying as it stood before the CU/NGE it was the best thing ever, it needed bugs fixed, some balancing, and some more content (in the direction it was made)...With the CU/NGE effort, they could of channeled that into fixing the game imo...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by prizm1234

SWG is dead. give it a rest and stop trying to turn this game into that pile of garbage. there is a reason it is dead. let it go already. so sick of all the SWG fanboys, all 5 of them trying to force this game to be that game.

/ THUMBS UP

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by ktanner3

SWG is dead. give it a rest and stop trying to turn this game into that pile of garbage. there is a reason it is dead. let it go already. so sick of all the SWG fanboys, all 5 of them trying to force this game to be that game.

/ THUMBS UP

Thanks for playing. We love you guys!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Rage of the Wookiees expansion alone had a metric buttload of content with it.

So claiming that SWG had no content is pure rubbish.

It was a better game, plain and simple.

If modernized with today's technology? It would be a major breath of fresh air to this stagnant genre.  I won't say it'd be an amazing success, but it would be in a better place 6 months in than SW:TOR is now. (assuming it was made well.)

The base idea alone, the "soul" if you will... is far stronger a concept than Bioware's Story Machine idea. makes a better MMO, unarguable.

I feel if SWG had the story based quests that TOR had it would had been a much more solid game, and this is coming from a guy that quit TOR after 3 months due to boredom, Story was the one thing right TOR did do, SWG was lacking in immersive questing, lots of fed ex missions, of course I can do without the voice acting, just for main arc quests, but if SWG did have those decent wrtitten missions I think SWG's PVE quest grind would of been better, but then again in SWG you could chosse if you wanted to grind on monsters for XP or do quests that was the beauty of it you had a choice, unlike TOR and the rest of the jokes of MMOs today.

• FingiesFingies Member Posts: 3
    . . .
  • BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Fingies
    Well, although many think SWG should just die off.. it won't. There's already an nge emulator that is going to put up a server. This game won't die out. It has something no other MMOs currently have and will probably never have. I will be supporting it forever. It has no reason to die. In fact, Lucas would've put another ten years on the game had they not been a company greedy for money, as each contract for the IP license is 8-10 years. SWG won't die. Pre-cu SWGEmu.com Nge ProjectSWG.com

Imagine if any of the EMUs could give it a engine and graphics upgrade.

I know it wont happen but just think how iroic it will be if a SWG emu became the one and only "WOW killer".

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

/ THUMBS UP

OK then what game should TOR be turned into?  Apparently the game it is looses customers quicker than SWG Pre-NGE.  Oh, and you can count me as 6th "SWG fanboy".  Keep inmind you will be that TOR fanboy soon.

In killing SWG LA and Sony martyred the game. There are well deserved criticisms of SWG, but in the end (and in comparison to some of the newer games) SWG gave freedom of activity in a Star Wars universe that overcomes the downsides.

The spirit of SWG may well come to haunt the game companies when the theme park cycle ends.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by JYCowboy

/ THUMBS UP

OK then what game should TOR be turned into?  Apparently the game it is looses customers quicker than SWG Pre-NGE.  Oh, and you can count me as 6th "SWG fanboy".  Keep inmind you will be that TOR fanboy soon.

Guess we need to start on the TOR wing at the old gamers home?

JY has a good question. Since SWG is all dead but the fanboys just wont shut up trying to turn TOR into SWG, then what exactly should TOR turn into? It's obvious it's current state is failing so if sandbox features wont fix it what will?

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

clicked link

clicked "here"

"73 questions in this survey"

Closed tab.

I really enjoyed SWG back before NGE and CU and a part of my soul died when they shut that game down. (it had 13 live servers when it shutdown, it was far from failing.) But I don't think I have ever enjoyed any game enough to take a 73 question survey for it. pfft.

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by VikingGamer

clicked link

clicked "here"

"73 questions in this survey"

Closed tab.

I really enjoyed SWG back before NGE and CU and a part of my soul died when they shut that game down. (it had 13 live servers when it shutdown, it was far from failing.) But I don't think I have ever enjoyed any game enough to take a 73 question survey for it. pfft.

seemed more like 30 at the most

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

/ THUMBS UP

OK then what game should TOR be turned into?  Apparently the game it is looses customers quicker than SWG Pre-NGE. 

SWG wishes it had the sub numbers TOR has.

Oh, and you can count me as 6th "SWG fanboy".  Keep inmind you will be that TOR fanboy soon.

No I won't. If the game goes belly up, I'll move on. Sorry, but gaming just isn't something I crusade over.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

/ THUMBS UP

OK then what game should TOR be turned into?  Apparently the game it is looses customers quicker than SWG Pre-NGE. 

Oh, and you can count me as 6th "SWG fanboy".  Keep inmind you will be that TOR fanboy soon.

No I won't. If the game goes belly up, I'll move on. Sorry, but gaming just isn't something I crusade over.

Ah-huh.  Now Sack-Up and answer the question, Crusader.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

/ THUMBS UP

SWG did not need all those subs as there was not so many servers, and because of that, none of the servers seemed dead, not until a lot lot later

You do seem to crusade over SWG players, and even post in the SWG forums.