Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ. A game mod better than all MMO's i've played in the last 5 years or so.

Comments

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587
    Originally posted by BanjoKazooie
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Sounds interesting however I would never play anything that had perma death. Just cant see investing hours into game in order to start over again

Dying is part of the game and is actually what makes it fun! It's not about being a badass with your gear and being the best. The fun is simply surviving the night for as long as you can. Death is inevitable, though. You will die and you will lose everything. But when you're playing you'll find that more often than not that getting the gear is more fun that having the gear.

@Lashley,

That's correct. If you don't want to pay for the Combined Operations pack and/or don't want to download 14GB's you can use the free-to-play version of ARMA 2 along with Operation Arrowhead. Of course, as you mentioned, you won't have as good as graphics. I believe you can also use a pirated version of ARMA 2, but I wouldn't know for sure.

cheers for the info mate

whats the graphics capped to?

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I never even knew this existed, it looks fanastic!

I never thought I would be the type of guy that likes a permadeath game but this seems to put a real relatable spin on it.

As soon as I get paid at the weekend I will be getting myself a copy of Windows and this game and mod!

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Saw this on one of the forums and thought I should post it, its the most cheap offer I saw so far.

- Amazon offer 50% sale (digital version)  -

Arma 2 combined op  for 14.99 $ - the whole package which you need

http://www.amazon.com/Meridian4-40365ned-Operations-ArmA2-Combined/dp/B003UV8RRE

And about this mod, honestly the game itself offers a lot more than just DayZ and it is still one of the best military multiplayer game. They offer for example Warfare servers (Game Type: CTI), which is a mix between FPS and RTS strategy. This is really cool, you have a player commander who starts building barracks, communication center, fortification for the base, moves HQ and so on. Actually, you are conquering territory and can take villages/cities...check it out.  

The well known Project Reality mod from the Battlefield 2 community did switch to Arma 2 and they released an awesome mod aswell. I44 is another great mod but not often played, the new release of Front Assault: Liberation 1944 will be probably a success, game looks awesome with more realistic dmg models.

PR Arma: Project Reality Mod

http://www.realitymod.com/downloads

Arma Warfare - FPS/RTS gameplay with the aim to conquer territory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzg7MRxNwS4

Iron Front: Liberation 1944 - standalone release in some days

This looks really cool and is maybe a highlight this year, thinking about to buy this

Air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEmhU3Vukfg

Infantry & Tanking (the fog looks great)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=i1prfOG91pw

I

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Do the zombies still run right through walls? That was the dealbreaker for me on that mod. 28 Days later sprinters that don't have to worry about being locked out are not that fun to fight.

On another note I have found an amazing sandbox in ARMA 2 called TCG Island Life. It's a heavily moderated server and requires players who want to be the police to take training courses.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

+1 on Dayz.  I've been playing for a couple weeks now and this isn't something that is going to get boring.  Rocket has been churning out patches pretty quickly, fixing a lot of things and testing the overall number of zombies and their respawn timers.  My MnB clan decided to start playing and things have gotten pretty epic.  We went the bandit route and kill and murder other players, usually hanging out in the middle areas of the map.  We have built vehicles.  We have engaged in extremely tense firefights with other organized bandits.  We have set ambushes, we have cleared entire cities of zombies.  The next step really comes down to marking out territory for one's self.  We have a couple cities that we patrol, and coming near them means that a lot of people are going to die. 

Most recently four of us set an ambush for a group of three that were looting our city.  We first saw them sneaking through the city mostly obscurred by buildings.  Guessing that they may enter this huge horse stable, we set up an ambush on the opposite end of it waiting for them to emerge.  They didn't.  I go prone and crawl towards the stable, zombies are shambling within 10 feet of  me.  As I approach the entrance to the stable, one of our squad members yells "You got zombies on you!"  I stand up and run into the stable with my MP5 at the ready.  No survivors inside.  10 or so zombies come in for me but we easily dispatch them. 

We have lost our prey at this point though.  We withdraw from the city and crawl prone through the grass towards a nearby military base.  We find the base cleared of zombies and looted of ammunition.  Exiting the base we crawl further along the city outskirts.  Then we spotted them.  We engaged in a field of haystacks.  Our squad leader had us all sight in on a guy who was messing around doing something in the field.  We opened up on him with 2 AK-74's and an MP5.  He drops.  A second guy pops out from behind a hay stack at about 150 meters.  I suppress him with an MP5 until i can get my squad mates to redirect on him with rifles.  As the second guy goes down I hear a loud bang, and my screen tells me that I am dead.  Apparently they had a sniper in the hay field as well.  Another bang and a second member of our squad goes down.  A third bang, and a third member drops though he is unconscious with shock rather than dead.  On teamspeak he screams for an epi pen.  Our only unharmed member stabs him full of adhrenaline and then takes off running.  The sniper sights in on the runner but can't hit him.  The revived and wounded rifleman sneaks around behind the sniper and executes him.  Victory.  Our survivors loot their bodies for beans and ammo. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Lashley
    Originally posted by BanjoKazooie
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Sounds interesting however I would never play anything that had perma death. Just cant see investing hours into game in order to start over again

Dying is part of the game and is actually what makes it fun! It's not about being a badass with your gear and being the best. The fun is simply surviving the night for as long as you can. Death is inevitable, though. You will die and you will lose everything. But when you're playing you'll find that more often than not that getting the gear is more fun that having the gear.

@Lashley,

That's correct. If you don't want to pay for the Combined Operations pack and/or don't want to download 14GB's you can use the free-to-play version of ARMA 2 along with Operation Arrowhead. Of course, as you mentioned, you won't have as good as graphics. I believe you can also use a pirated version of ARMA 2, but I wouldn't know for sure.

cheers for the info mate

whats the graphics capped to?

I'm not exactly sure, to be honest. If I had to guess it would be stuck on low/medium graphics applied to textures (such as character/building skins). Here's a good comparison video to give you an idea of what to expect with the free-to-play version.

@TruthXHurts

They still do, I'm afraid. And the AI pathing is still pretty retarded doing the whole erratic zigzags with pauses and what have you. However, I think this is just a case of it being an alpha game at the moment.

As for the 28 Days Later zombies - yeah, I don't find them that enjoyable either. I read that he was wanting more walkers.. but since they're only deadly in numbers we can't have them on the scale that it would take due to ARMA 2's engine limitations. So I imagine we're stuck with the fast zombies in key locations for the time being.

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

• dooneydooney Member Posts: 69

I feel connected to my character when I get stuff done in a fantasy world. I felt really connected to my Darkfall character not because of the grind (I macro'd my character), but because of the shit that I did with my character, be that hanging out with my guild, attending sieges and various events. MMORPGs need to be less about "i got x skill or x item in y time" and more about a constant journey where everything you do is an adventure. 

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

+1 on Dayz.  I've been playing for a couple weeks now and this isn't something that is going to get boring.  Rocket has been churning out patches pretty quickly, fixing a lot of things and testing the overall number of zombies and their respawn timers.  My MnB clan decided to start playing and things have gotten pretty epic.  We went the bandit route and kill and murder other players, usually hanging out in the middle areas of the map.  We have built vehicles.  We have engaged in extremely tense firefights with other organized bandits.  We have set ambushes, we have cleared entire cities of zombies.  The next step really comes down to marking out territory for one's self.  We have a couple cities that we patrol, and coming near them means that a lot of people are going to die. 

Most recently four of us set an ambush for a group of three that were looting our city.  We first saw them sneaking through the city mostly obscurred by buildings.  Guessing that they may enter this huge horse stable, we set up an ambush on the opposite end of it waiting for them to emerge.  They didn't.  I go prone and crawl towards the stable, zombies are shambling within 10 feet of  me.  As I approach the entrance to the stable, one of our squad members yells "You got zombies on you!"  I stand up and run into the stable with my MP5 at the ready.  No survivors inside.  10 or so zombies come in for me but we easily dispatch them. 

We have lost our prey at this point though.  We withdraw from the city and crawl prone through the grass towards a nearby military base.  We find the base cleared of zombies and looted of ammunition.  Exiting the base we crawl further along the city outskirts.  Then we spotted them.  We engaged in a field of haystacks.  Our squad leader had us all sight in on a guy who was messing around doing something in the field.  We opened up on him with 2 AK-74's and an MP5.  He drops.  A second guy pops out from behind a hay stack at about 150 meters.  I suppress him with an MP5 until i can get my squad mates to redirect on him with rifles.  As the second guy goes down I hear a loud bang, and my screen tells me that I am dead.  Apparently they had a sniper in the hay field as well.  Another bang and a second member of our squad goes down.  A third bang, and a third member drops though he is unconscious with shock rather than dead.  On teamspeak he screams for an epi pen.  Our only unharmed member stabs him full of adhrenaline and then takes off running.  The sniper sights in on the runner but can't hit him.  The revived and wounded rifleman sneaks around behind the sniper and executes him.  Victory.  Our survivors loot their bodies for beans and ammo. 

How did you guys manage to link up with each other though?

I've been trying to play with my brother, but we can never tell where we are in conjunction to each other at the initial spawn points.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Tyroki
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

How did you guys manage to link up with each other though?

I've been trying to play with my brother, but we can never tell where we are in conjunction to each other at the initial spawn points.

Download a map of Chernarus, figure out where you are on it from landmarks then coordinate a rendezvous point over TS. It's a ballache for sure and undermines the no starting map thing, but I'd like to think that further into development we'll be able to select a spawn zone to make it easier.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I looked at videos of the DayZ mod and it looked really awesome.  Then I looked at Arma2 general multiplayer videos and I'm even more blown away.  I can only see playing DayZ once you get a little burned out on the core multiplayer and thats really understandable.  Probably a breath of fresh air for long time Arma players. 

So by golly I want to buy Arma 2 and play it!  I want Arma2 Combined Operations!  But but....then I find out Arma 3 is coming out fairly soon.  AAAAAAHHH!!!!  So now.....now....sniff.....I dont know WHAT to do!  image

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Corehaven

I looked at videos of the DayZ mod and it looked really awesome.  Then I looked at Arma2 general multiplayer videos and I'm even more blown away.  I can only see playing DayZ once you get a little burned out on the core multiplayer and thats really understandable.  Probably a breath of fresh air for long time Arma players. 

So by golly I want to buy Arma 2 and play it!  I want Arma2 Combined Operations!  But but....then I find out Arma 3 is coming out fairly soon.  AAAAAAHHH!!!!  So now.....now....sniff.....I dont know WHAT to do!  image

Buy Arma 2 Combined Operations, knowing that even after Arma 3 is out, DayZ will still be amazing.

After all, they said it would be at least a year or so before DayZ could be made for Arma 3. So no loss =D

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

Originally posted by Tyroki

Buy Arma 2 Combined Operations, knowing that even after Arma 3 is out, DayZ will still be amazing.

After all, they said it would be at least a year or so before DayZ could be made for Arma 3. So no loss =D

But see....its a problem because as cool as DayZ looks, for now, Id probably spend more time just playing general Arma 2 multiplayer (having never played it ) because I think it just looks incredible.  It might honestly be a year before I even got into DayZ in a heavier way.  

Im also worried that if I spend the money and get Arma 2 as soon as 3 releases all the players will flock to that!  So how many months of Arma 2 will I enjoy before I have to go buy Arma 3 anyways?  And would I just be better off waiting and geting Arma 3 for that reason!?  

And when I think about it, it goes in circles and I cant.....I cant.....I figure if I just wait in confusion long enough Arma 3 will come out and I could just get that.  But then I dont really know if Arma 3 is going to be better than 2.  Arma 3 looked a little different.  From what little game play I saw it somehow seemed more simple.  More user friendly while Arma 2 seemed more hardcore and I liked the challenge of Arma 2 or at least what I saw. 

So Im entirely confused.  But thanks for the reply......image

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't some basic version of ARMA2 free?

Originally posted by vee41

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't some basic version of ARMA2 free?

Yea the basic is free.  Id rather just go in for Combined Operations if I get the game at all.   The free version had some sort of limitation but I dont remember what it is now.  Either its multiplayer only, or its campaign only.  Or has some sort of limitations on one or the other. 

I think I'll like the game, so Im interested in a full version, but if Arma 3 is coming out soon, I might rather have that since I can only figure a lot of arma 2 players may flock to it.   Honestly?  I dont mean to tick anyone off.....I think Arma 2 looks better than what little Ive seen of Arma 3.  Even graphically.  I know Im nuts.  But then again I dont really want to purchase a dying game either. 

But you are right indeed.  You can get a version of Arma 2 free. 

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Sadly the 15$ amazon deal seems to be only downloadable for people in the US. Oh well, I may still bite the bullet and buy the pack off of Steam.

I've watched a ton of videos of people playing, very entertaining stuff. This mod gives me hope into future gaming. I may be more into Sandbox than I thought.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

This game is amazing. Everything on Arma 2 is solid as hell, there's a bunch of great mods, but with Official support this one will definetly take the cake.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Well i did start playing almost ten years ago with Operation Flashpoint and it was a revolutionary gameplay and very famous in its times. Arma 1, Arma 2, Arrowhead did follow. Arma 3 version, aswell the Iron Front: Liberation 1944 version will be released soon. It is for sure one of the best multiplayer games out there. The modding community is really strong and did release fantastic mods for all the game versions in the years. They released whole gameplay mods, whole Islands i.e. Jungle, desert, snow...so many things.

It depends on your budget, but the 15$ currently for Arma 2 CO is really a bargain. I will get Iron Front Liber. 1944 in a couple of days and will post about the gameplay, Iam really curious and excited already. Arma 3 will be for sure another highlight, but you have to think about that the new version will need an up to date pc system. In the first months after release there were always performance problems which got fixed with patches later on. 

DayZ is just a tiny mod and offers only a small part of the available game content, If the mod succeeds for longer and isnt just only a short hype they will try to rewrite it for Arma 3 for sure. But this will take time.

By the way Dayz is not the only RPG mod for Arma 2, there are mods out there which are a lot more deeper with more roleplaying than DayZ. Take for example City Life, where you have 2 factions. One is police and the other one are gangster, robbing banks or smuggling drugs, taking jobs for money. Wheras the police can arrest them into prison, search for illegal weapons or goods, watching crimes and so on...really fun.

Anyway the core game of  Arma 2 is really fantastic, you would miss a lot of fun and most mods out there if you would play only DayZ. The game is still a military sim, probably one of the best currently and not solely a zombie game. At the moment there is a big hype about DayZ but Iam sure in some weeks you will see more core gameplay server again, Arma 2 or from the new release Iron Front Liberation ´44. DayZ is still a funny mod which people enjoy and Iam sure full servers will be seen also in the longer run, the mod is still in alpha anyway.

@ if you want to play the original game i.e. offline campaign, I recommand you the following:

Get a good AI mod:  Zeus AI  (this makes the game even more fun with more intelligent AI behaviour)

Get a good sound mod: JSRS  (there are more sound mods around of course)

I think the FPS-Simulation genre, games like Arma 2, are still the most fun for the buck with always new innovations and the challenge is just bigger, mmorpgs did stagnate already years ago.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by AticusWelles

Thing is, I don't believe he's shooting for longevity, or popularity, he's not trying to make millions of dollars and hook gamers for years.  He created an experience that he felt was missing from gaming today, an experience that he himself was looking for, and it just happens that it's caught on with a lot of other people looking for the same experience.

Perhaps another modder, developer, or publisher will pick up where he left off and make something more fitting to what you desire, while keeping the core ideas he brought to the table. 

But either way, he reminds me more of old school visionary developers who created games they themselves wanted to play, and not games that they thought could sell the most copies possible.  IMO That's what the gaming industry needs more of.  Especially in the virtual world department.

Well said.

Agree 100%

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by GTwander

Now I agree that EVE's player interaction is bar-none the most interesting out there, but EVE is 80% metagame (if you ask me). The discussion could be over tons of aspects of gameplay, but the fact remains that you can't immediately trust anyone you run into while out in unprotected space - which in essence - is close to the idea of meeting people in this one... then again, it's no different than running into a stranger in MO, DF, old-school UO, etc, etc, etc. You have to have the assumption that their first reaction is going to be jump-kicking your balls. Luckily, this mod seems to have a very interesting mechanic tied in with it's omnidirectional voicechat. It pretty much boils down the sociopaths to only the silent ones, or the convincing liars.

Agreed. Well said.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

What is the difference between Arma 2 and DayZ?

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by ForTheCity

What is the difference between Arma 2 and DayZ?

One is the original game, the other is a MOD that is based around zombie-apocalyptic-survival.

• RighteousRighteous Member UncommonPosts: 99

http://www.amazon.com/Meridian4-40365ned-Operations-ArmA2-Combined/dp/B003UV8RRE 

$14.99 for both the arma II and the expansion!

Then...install the first one, next install the expansion...run each game so that they atleast run...update them...run them again.

Lastly, download the DayZ mod and install it. Look for guides online.

HAVE FUN whoooo'!

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Meh. Another PvP based sandbox, and around zombies...

• mr.neutronmr.neutron Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Irus

Meh. Another PvP based sandbox, and around zombies...

How dare they not do another WOW clone? Did they learned nothing from the glorious success TOR had last months?

Seriously, the mod is fabulous, practicaly forces roleploaying. Also incredibly immense. After Playing it for a week I logged on to play GW2 for the monday stress test and it felt so lifeless in comparison. GW2 is a great game, but nothing near the experience this mod gives if played well.

"Can I crush his neck now, master? Just a little? It's been a long time fantasy of mine..." - HK-47

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Params7

Basically its a mod for a military simulator, ARMA 2. Its a persistent world, with permadeath. You only start out with a can of beans, a handgun. No compass though you can find it. No radar and map but you can find compass and a piece of the map, which won't have your positions so you'll have to figure out where you are on the map.

Sounds pretty anti-casual, but it has by FAR, has the greatest potential for human interaction because you depend on each other so much. This one mod is better than the entire show of Walking Dead when it works right, though sadly its plagued by a host of server issues right now.

Trailer:

Some gameplay vids:

if you venture out alone at night and put a flare down this can easily happen to you as resources are VERY rare and people easily turn on each other.

Its build on concepts no dev today would have the guts to try, but after experiencing this game I'm convinced permadeath is the future of RPG's.

Permadeath is a very interesting concept.  I think it would work fine in MMO games (perhaps hardcore MMOs) if the risk of death from combat or the environment is fairly blanaced between characters.  In other words, the game is going to need something other than levels and gear to propell people forward, because people who have been "alive" longer cannot have a huge advantage over newer characters.  This would help avoid ganking.

I think there are all kinds of MMO mechanics out there that people are scared to death to try.  What we need is a MMO development system that will allow players like us to quickly prototype and test gameplay ideas.  I have several myself that I would love to model.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.