Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A follow up on the Burn Jita Player Event

LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

CCP Explorer just posted a devblog with data on both the activities of the weekend and the performance of the servers throughout the Burn Jita player event. Included is info on the effects of TiDi (pretty graphs!) and some stats on the weapons and modules.

Link: DevBlog - Observing the "Burn Jita" Player Event

enjoy! o/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
"Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Since I don't play Eve anymore I haven't been following the event.  I do think the concept is pretty funny.  There must be a flood of tears in Jita.

Something I've always liked about CCP is how they post numbers and graphs of the various activities and economic data.  That's something you rarely (if ever) see in other games. 

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

Something I've always hated about game companies is how they always seem to try to buddy up to the "cool kids" - using your influence in a video game to earn brownie points with a bunch of geeks has gotta make you into some sort of super geek.

Were the player quotes really necessary in that blog?  Shit, why doesn't that dev just give them a BPO while he's at it.  image

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by SlaverHound

Something I've always hated about game companies is how they always seem to try to buddy up to the "cool kids" - using your influence in a video game to earn brownie points with a bunch of geeks has gotta make you into some sort of super geek.

Were the player quotes really necessary in that blog?  Shit, why doesn't that dev just give them a BPO while he's at it.  image

We regularly quote, spotlight and refer to the words and actions of our playerbase They do and say some amazing things (most of the time) and they're just an awesome community, in general. That you see that as some odd form of favoritism makes me sad in the pants. :(  

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Nice article. It gives good information about how some of the technical work is handled. I had no idea that events like this happened in Eve. Previous to this, I'd only heard of Hulkegeddon. (Not sure of the spelling.)

It's pretty cool that a group of people took a long time to plan this event. It's an eye opener when you stop to consider the possibilities. I wonder if this sort of tactic will be studied by other corps, modified and used to exact retribution.

I'm still somewhat new to the game. I've only been playing about a year. It's refreshing to be into a game that long and be able to say, "I've still a lot to learn."

I've  never been able to say that in any other MMO.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I participated in this very briefly (I'm member of the coalition that ran the interdiction) and it was fairly fun. My computer couldn't really handle the Jita undock scene though.

As for tears? Oh were there tears. It was just freighter and jump freighter one after another it seemed.

Originally posted by s1fu71

Nice article. It gives good information about how some of the technical work is handled. I had no idea that events like this happened in Eve. Previous to this, I'd only heard of Hulkegeddon. (Not sure of the spelling.)

It's pretty cool that a group of people took a long time to plan this event. It's an eye opener when you stop to consider the possibilities. I wonder if this sort of tactic will be studied by other corps, modified and used to exact retribution.

I'm still somewhat new to the game. I've only been playing about a year. It's refreshing to be into a game that long and be able to say, "I've still a lot to learn."

I've  never been able to say that in any other MMO.

Judging by recent trends, you won't be able to say it again either after Eve.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Did they create a dedicated killboard for the event?  I'd be curious to see a few of the more expensive kills.

-- Herman Melville

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Judging by recent trends, you won't be able to say it again either after Eve.

I'm sorry to agree with you.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

We regularly quote, spotlight and refer to the words and actions of our playerbase They do and say some amazing things (most of the time) and they're just an awesome community, in general. That you see that as some odd form of favoritism makes me sad in the pants. :(  

Where?  We're on the internet and that sort of thing can be uncovered and quickly uncovered since it's claimed to be regularly done.  I've been around this game for a while and read most of the dev blogs and I can't remember a technical dev blog that quoted player opinion.

Impotence aside, that dev blog was not an impartial dev blog and those player's personal opinions added nothing to the content of the blog itself, so why were they added to the blog?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

so am i getting this right?

Goonswarm got all it's thousands of pilots to go to Jita and together repetedly suicide attack everything that moved?

is that basically waht "burn Jita" was?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Where?  We're on the internet and that sort of thing can be uncovered and quickly uncovered since it's claimed to be regularly done.  I've been around this game for a while and read most of the dev blogs and I can't remember a technical dev blog that quoted player opinion.

Impotence aside, that dev blog was not an impartial dev blog and those player's personal opinions added nothing to the content of the blog itself, so why were they added to the blog?

If you're interested in player-created content and events, check out the EVE Online Facebook page. CCP Manifest does a great job of bringing player creations and events into the spotlight there. Speaking about spotlights,  I do a Community Spotlight in the EVE monthly newsletter, as well, highlighting recent and popular awesomeness from the EVE Community. If you have something you'd like to see spotlighted, definitely PM me here or on the EVE forums and we'll check it out. We've also quoted and linked to player content in several of our recent reactivation emails, unfortunately I don't have those emails handy for you.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I'm getting the impression you're not exactly impartial on the matter yourself...

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis

I'm getting the impression you're not exactly impartial on the matter yourself...

I'm not, as I pointed out above, it's bothersome.  A technical dev blog is no place for a player's opinion, especially when they have avenues for that sort of fluff already in place such as those pointed out above with the community spotlight, ISD news reports, the facebook page, etc.

Putting a PC's opinion inside of a real dev blog says that CCP considers that PC's opinion to be of value over and above all other PC's opinions on the matter and in this case it was completely unnessessary since I don't think anybody was upset about the server being stable enough to support the goings on.  So why was it there?

There's that and then there's a recent problem that seems to be rearing it's ugly head in this game which is the confusion some players have between reality and video games - a confusion that CCP should discourage but that dev blog further blurs the line between the two.  A PC's opinion should only relate to ingame activities so CCP should quote the person not the PC in things related to outside of the game such as hardware and software, but they didn't, they quoted the player character and even put his rank and title ingame.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I'm not, as I pointed out above, it's bothersome.  A technical dev blog is no place for a player's opinion, especially when they have avenues for that sort of fluff already in place such as those pointed out above with the community spotlight, ISD news reports, the facebook page, etc.

Putting a PC's opinion inside of a real dev blog says that CCP considers that PC's opinion to be of value over and above all other PC's opinions on the matter and in this case it was completely unnessessary since I don't think anybody was upset about the server being stable enough to support the goings on.  So why was it there?

There's that and then there's a recent problem that seems to be rearing it's ugly head in this game which is the confusion some players have between reality and video games - a confusion that CCP should discourage but that dev blog further blurs the line between the two.  A PC's opinion should only relate to ingame activities so CCP should quote the person not the PC in things related to outside of the game such as hardware and software, but they didn't, they quoted the player character and even put his rank and title ingame.

Seems like a really strange place to keep a stick.

Why are you being so uptight about a dev blog about a player created event?  It would seem that the point of the blog was completely lost on you.  It wasn't a blog stickly about technical aspects about the event, it was about the event, what they had to do to allow the server to handel the event, a break down of what was used in the course of the event, how the server handled the event, and a general impression of the server performance from some of the players who were responsible for the event.

If I want to know how the server did, and I wasn't there, I'd actually like to here how it went from the players perspective.  It makes persfect sense to me that they would get a quote from some goons.  They were, afterall, responcible for the event.

And before you go and give another overblown rant about why you feel it's inappropriate for them to quote players in a dev blog, know I don't really care.  I just find it odd, and somewhat saddening, that someone would be this uptight over a couple of quotes in a devblog about a player run event, from a couple of players who are a part of the corp that was responsible for the event.

I personally found it interesting, and appreciated the fact that they took the time to include a couple of quotes from fellow corp members in regard to how well the server handled the event.

Originally posted by Uhwop

Seems like a really strange place to keep a stick.

Why are you being so uptight about a dev blog about a player created event?  It would seem that the point of the blog was completely lost on you.  It wasn't a blog stickly about technical aspects about the event, it was about the event, what they had to do to allow the server to handel the event, a break down of what was used in the course of the event, how the server handled the event, and a general impression of the server performance from some of the players who were responsible for the event.

If I want to know how the server did, and I wasn't there, I'd actually like to here how it went from the players perspective.  It makes persfect sense to me that they would get a quote from some goons.  They were, afterall, responcible for the event.

And before you go and give another overblown rant about why you feel it's inappropriate for them to quote players in a dev blog, know I don't really care.  I just find it odd, and somewhat saddening, that someone would be this uptight over a couple of quotes in a devblog about a player run event, from a couple of players who are a part of the corp that was responsible for the event.

I personally found it interesting, and appreciated the fact that they took the time to include a couple of quotes from fellow corp members in regard to how well the server handled the event.

Player opinion is best left to the forums and fluff articles.

Developer opinion is best left to the forums and dev blogs.

That way we can avoid crap like "f__king brilliant. all brackets on, all effects on " in developer blogs in the future; quoted twice no less.

Very professional of them to spotlight one of their favorites with a quote that's against their own terms of service - You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. 

• hosalhosal Member Posts: 39
    This forum was a fail from the get-go