Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real Diablo 3?

13»

Comments

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

After playing through nightmare and most of Hell, I can say that D3 is vastly superior to POE.  POE is incredibly dated and held on to almost all of the worst parts of past ARPGs.  POE has worse graphics than Titan Quest, a 2006 game, far less enjoyable combat than D2,TQ, D3 and Torchlight.  There's little to no feedback or effects to most attacks.  The art direction is completely uninspired.  The passive tree, though deep, is mostly tedious.  The actual skill system is retarded.  The lack of respecs is a dealbreaker.  TP and ID scroll farming is boring and a waste of time. 

Who exactly are they marketing this to?  Other than the Final Fantasy passive tree they offer nothing compelling in this game.  A complex skill tree, rather than a passive tree, that allowed players to make all kinds of builds would have been a better and more interesting design.  After D3 and Torchlight 2 I'll just wait for Lineage Eternal and maybe Grim Dawn.        

i would disagree with graphics, camera is limiting and horrible, but i i thought rain looked good,  but ill agree poe is only good till you get beta key, it was so boring i couldnt bear past first hour, just so horribly bland, those old korean grind games like lineage 2 was more fun than this, and that was pinacle of kill 20 mobs quests.., everyone so hyped about  skill system, most of it is 1% attack damage, 1% run speed and so on, you could say in random hack and slash you get +3 stats and that gives you +1% damage, in poe you get 1 skill point, you put it into 1% damage, doesnt make it any better..

• RighteousRighteous Member UncommonPosts: 99

All of the content has not yet been published. There will be more to come. Personally, POE is better than D3.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Smikis
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

After playing through nightmare and most of Hell, I can say that D3 is vastly superior to POE.  POE is incredibly dated and held on to almost all of the worst parts of past ARPGs.  POE has worse graphics than Titan Quest, a 2006 game, far less enjoyable combat than D2,TQ, D3 and Torchlight.  There's little to no feedback or effects to most attacks.  The art direction is completely uninspired.  The passive tree, though deep, is mostly tedious.  The actual skill system is retarded.  The lack of respecs is a dealbreaker.  TP and ID scroll farming is boring and a waste of time. 

Who exactly are they marketing this to?  Other than the Final Fantasy passive tree they offer nothing compelling in this game.  A complex skill tree, rather than a passive tree, that allowed players to make all kinds of builds would have been a better and more interesting design.  After D3 and Torchlight 2 I'll just wait for Lineage Eternal and maybe Grim Dawn.        

i would disagree with graphics, camera is limiting and horrible, but i i thought rain looked good,  but ill agree poe is only good till you get beta key, it was so boring i couldnt bear past first hour, just so horribly bland, those old korean grind games like lineage 2 was more fun than this, and that was pinacle of kill 20 mobs quests.., everyone so hyped about  skill system, most of it is 1% attack damage, 1% run speed and so on, you could say in random hack and slash you get +3 stats and that gives you +1% damage, in poe you get 1 skill point, you put it into 1% damage, doesnt make it any better..

D3's system has it's issues.  Some of the rune choices seem terrible and I found certain skills became vital in the harder difficulties.  My hopes are that as my gear gets better it will open up more viable builds again.

The POE passive skill tree is fun for offline analysis.  But the fact that there are no full respecs, means we aren't going to be able to afford to try out all kinds of builds.  We instead are best off using cookie cutter builds people post online.  If I was in charge of POE I'd:

1) Drastically improve combat.  As a melee I want to feel the thud when I hit things.  I believe D3 just shakes the screen a bit to give the effect.  All I know is that combat was more alive and enjoyable in TL and D3.   Awesome combat should be priority #1.  Also better skill animations would help.

2) Full respecs - make it require a decent grind but not more than say 10 hours.

3) Fix the story and add voiceover (assume this is coming)

4) Incorporate some sort of trade market or barring that allow people to make named games and let people join them from the hub.  /invite is a horrible and hopefully temporary system.

5) Seriously redesign your tree and skill system.  I'd make the tree for actual skills and gems/runes for many of the the choices in the passive tree.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I wouldn't even compare D3 and PoE.

Not because its bad or anything but because the games are very different from eachother.

PoE is more comparable to D1 which was essentially an "update" or "mainstreamification" of hardcore roguelikes.

D2 was D1s cousin and spawned a different genre alltogether.

I still enjoy both types of games, but prefer the slower methodical ones over actionflashflashpewpew (D3, Torchlight).

PoE plays slower and more methodical than D3, its just different.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by AdamTM

PoE plays slower and more methodical than D3, its just different.

I wouldn't call going through 3 snorefest (3, not one. At least DIII gets challenging in Hell) difficulties by spamming one click skill + AoE "slower and more methodical". And it's just so... boring.

I played Diablo I recently. It's nowhere near that boring. Maybe because of combat response, maybe because you need to move and position yourself a certain way in DI (you don't need to do that in PoE at all).

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

PoE is great especially since its free.

Its no Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 is no Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is uber. The only thing missing that was fun and cool about 2 (aside from 8 players) is the chat rooms.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter