Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera EU on verge of sudden death

GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

It's a shame as I really like the game (no kidding - I think it's actually the best MMO out there right now) but a game-breaking exploit has been rushing like an epidemic over EU servers.

The exploit usage is so widespread that every server's economy is utterly destroyed and the entire gear curve of the game is destroyed if Frogster do not roll back the servers.

I often wonder why EU customers don't get the same treatment as US customers. Frogster simply does not seem equipped to handle this situation, and if the thosands of exploiters are allowed to retain their items, Tera is dead in the EU, simple as that.

We're talking a situation where people are getting enchanted endgame gear today that will take NA servers months to get.

Comments

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

They clarified the situation, but it's anyone's guess if they can or will actually investigate and ban, or if they will pretend to and do nothing. If nothing is done, it's going to be a disaster for the game going forward.

-------

Enchanting exploit

Hello everyone,

We are aware of the presence of a exploit with the enchanting system in the current build of TERA. We have spoken to the developers, and they are creating a fix for the issue.

Please be aware that if you use this exploit this can lead to a temporary account block!
    We will investigate all accounts involved in the use of this exploit and remove any benefits gained as a result of its use.

Using an exploit violates the rules and is treated with the same severity as using bots or other 3rd party software to gain an unfair advantage over legitimate players. You don’t have to fear anything if you enchanted your items in a proper way, without using the enchanting exploit.

Explanation for the exploit: This means you used white alkahest found at normal vendors to get your items with the exploit to +7/+8 or +9. Without using the exploit it is not possible to enchant your items to those values with the normal white alkahest sold by normal vendor NPCs.

While we wait for a patch to fix this exploit, we wanted to make this point clear for everyone again! We do not tolerate any use of cheats, bots or exploiting in our games.

We’ll address this exploit as soon as possible.

Silvanoshi

• SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581

so enmasse stopped the exploit on their servers, is the Eu one been stopped yet? just wondering since i play on Eu but the threads to long to dig trough

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

They clarified the situation, but it's anyone's guess if they can or will actually investigate and ban, or if they will pretend to and do nothing. If nothing is done, it's going to be a disaster for the game going forward.

-------

Enchanting exploit

Hello everyone,

We are aware of the presence of a exploit with the enchanting system in the current build of TERA. We have spoken to the developers, and they are creating a fix for the issue.

Please be aware that if you use this exploit this can lead to a temporary account block!
    We will investigate all accounts involved in the use of this exploit and remove any benefits gained as a result of its use.

Using an exploit violates the rules and is treated with the same severity as using bots or other 3rd party software to gain an unfair advantage over legitimate players. You don’t have to fear anything if you enchanted your items in a proper way, without using the enchanting exploit.

Explanation for the exploit: This means you used white alkahest found at normal vendors to get your items with the exploit to +7/+8 or +9. Without using the exploit it is not possible to enchant your items to those values with the normal white alkahest sold by normal vendor NPCs.

While we wait for a patch to fix this exploit, we wanted to make this point clear for everyone again! We do not tolerate any use of cheats, bots or exploiting in our games.

We’ll address this exploit as soon as possible.

Silvanoshi

Their statement in yellow means their statements in green are useless lies.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I dunno I think the OP statement  has gone a bit too far sure theres a problem and they have stated how they will deal with it.  Samael certainly seems busy enough.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

It looks like it's on the NA servers as well, if the Tera forums are accurate.

Reminds me a bit about platinum scarabs falling from the sky, heh.  +9 message spam gone to 11!

Here's one of those management tests that competent developers have to pass, or the playerbase will start eyeing the lifeboats.

• Sith2112Sith2112 Member UncommonPosts: 43

Another thread about another game that's supposed to be dying for some reason...

Like every other thread, the game will be around and it's players will as well when this issues get sorted out.

No - I don't play Tera

I play Forum PVP

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

I love how they explain how to do it hahaha

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Can't tell whether you are an extreme alarmist or if you're that other thing that gets you modded for suggesting. 

From UO to present day, almost every MMO has had some major exploit, dupe or hack affect it at one point or another. They all recovered just fine. Can you list for us the games or incidents that you are basing your assessment on? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Not pretty.  Did the exploit start with a bugged patch or something?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Come on, all together now... free 30 days, free 30-days!... I can't hear you... FREE 30 DAYS, FREE 30-DAYS!!! image

All JK aside, I don't mind this happening now. In fact I'd like to see how En Masse (I'm from Argentina, but playing in NA) responds to this issue... it'll be a good parameter to evaluate how fast they can solve problems and how reliable the service can be.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

Come on, all together now... free 30 days, free 30-days!... I can't hear you... FREE 30 DAYS, FREE 30-DAYS!!! image

All JK aside, I don't mind this happening now. In fact I'd like to see how En Masse (I'm from Argentina, but playing in NA) responds to this issue... it'll be a good parameter to evaluate how fast they can solve problems and how reliable the service can be.

The NA servers are down as we speak.

If they don't start banning and rolling back people who have used the exploit.  It's /cancel sub for me!

This is the moment of truth for EnMasse in how they are handling these kind of issues.

If people are going to get away with this... then I have instantly no faith in EnMasse anymore and can they be added to just another money grabbing company who doesn't give a feck what happens in their game, as long as people keep paying!

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Can't tell whether you are an extreme alarmist or if you're that other thing that gets you modded for suggesting. 

From UO to present day, almost every MMO has had some major exploit, dupe or hack affect it at one point or another. They all recovered just fine. Can you list for us the games or incidents that you are basing your assessment on? 

Funcom might have a bad reputation when it comes to game launches (AO, AoC and probably soon also TSW), but if they were absolutely serious with one thing, then it's with exploits!

I think a lot of people here remember how Funcom even perma banned whole guilds on sertain PVP servers within the first two weeks of launch, when they were caught using a leveling exploit!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

If they do a rollback then what about the people who worked hard for their stuff and earned it legit? The good just have to suffer with the bad?

Originally posted by Mannish

If they do a rollback then what about the people who worked hard for their stuff and earned it legit? The good just have to suffer with the bad?

Ehhh.... ever heard about individual rollbacks?

That's how SOE dealt with exploiters in EQ2.

• SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581

think their knew about the bug 2 or 4 hours after the servers went up, so woulden't have been that bad, if their taken the servers down.

im kinda dissapontet tho, europe servers might go the lineage2 way.

just curious it was about 6 hours for enmasse to patch the bug? and 24 + hours for frogsters to stop the bug?

• JaggensJaggens Member Posts: 3

So much irony in these news.

Forgive me for that evil grin, but I'm banned from this game by country (only way to login is vpn), and Enmasse reason was "to ban potential cheaters and hackers that will ruin game for everyone". Ah, sweet sweet irony...

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Thats a bit nonsensical if it's true, if you mean rollback for individual accounts or characters then why not just ban those cheaters and exploiters instead? Why would they bother rolling back the accounts of players who knowingly cheat and exploit? They will just find another way.

Server rollbacks are a far more readily used and more widely accepted method, ok it sucks for players who get penalised through no fault of their own, but if they TRULY care about the health of the game thay play they will welcome a small fix now to prevent a bigger issue later.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Jaggens

So much irony in these news.

Forgive me for that evil grin, but I'm banned from this game by country (only way to login is vpn), and Enmasse reason was "to ban potential cheaters and hackers that will ruin game for everyone". Ah, sweet sweet irony...

What irony?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ThemehosptalThemehosptal Member Posts: 48

always find it hilarious how the bad guys are the ones that play the game and take advantage of broken things which the developers should've fixed to begin with. a more appropriate response would've been rollback for that profession some days ago and given them their mats back. but nope, WE SHALL BAN YOU FOR OUR MISTAKES!

I wonder if EA are going to ban people for using DART in BF3.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Thats a bit nonsensical if it's true, if you mean rollback for individual accounts or characters then why not just ban those cheaters and exploiters instead? Why would they bother rolling back the accounts of players who knowingly cheat and exploit? They will just find another way.

Server rollbacks are a far more readily used and more widely accepted method, ok it sucks for players who get penalised through no fault of their own, but if they TRULY care about the health of the game thay play they will welcome a small fix now to prevent a bigger issue later.

Do you think frogster would ever think of banning  thousands of players who cheated to get +X on their gear, banning those people is money leaving their pockets, not a chance in hell they'd do that, individual rollbacks seems like the best option.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

A GOOD developer or in case of Frogster a publisher would act and make things right.There was a similar situation in FFXI a number of years ago,where by players could get duplicate rewards ,so instead of one great item,they would get two.This is the  same thing of course it creates too many rare/great items in game.Square Enix immeditately reacted by removing the items/gear and issued temporary bans.Square Also would often go in read logs and remove illegal currency as well,this is called a reactive developer,maybe not proactrive but at least better than doing nothing.

My opinion honestly stay FAR away from Frogster,i have dealt with them on a legal issue over money,they are a classless act.Of course i got my money back as i was in the right,but i learned one thing,i wil never support Forgster ever again,they operate with extreme sub standards from lack of manager support,take forever to get anything fixed that is broken.

Since i know first hand how inept Frogster is i can only imagine the impossible task for them to read millions of server and player logs to fix this .The only remedy i can see is as the OP mentioned,to rollback the servers with the fix.IN reality i am pretty sure this is ALL Frogster can do ,anything involving game patches would come from the developer fiorst then sent to Frogster.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

Funcom might have a bad reputation when it comes to game launches (AO, AoC and probably soon also TSW), but if they were absolutely serious with one thing, then it's with exploits!

I think a lot of people here remember how Funcom even perma banned whole guilds on sertain PVP servers within the first two weeks of launch, when they were caught using a leveling exploit!

i also remember gms getting caught cybering with players on age of conan to

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

It wasn't an exploit it was a feature.  What's wrong with these westerners?

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

I also remember all the other times Funcom did nothing. Most likely because the population had become so low they couldn't afford to loose subs. 

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Themehosptal

always find it hilarious how the bad guys are the ones that play the game and take advantage of broken things which the developers should've fixed to begin with. a more appropriate response would've been rollback for that profession some days ago and given them their mats back. but nope, WE SHALL BAN YOU FOR OUR MISTAKES!

I wonder if EA are going to ban people for using DART in BF3.

what? you don't think people should be punished for using something that would damage the game?

are you serious? i realize that the game developers should fix things, but the game developers not catching things the second they are found should not be considered an allowence for players to destroy the integrity of the game.

exploiting holes in the game is cheating,  and there is not one single game ever in the history of man that doesn't look at exploiting the system as cheating.   people will not play a game that allows people to exploit the system, so the correct response is to ban people that cheat via exploits.

i find it mindboggling that you would really think that a game company banning exploiters is the wrong response, when the players exploiting the system are breaking the rules the game company set up.

this isn't about mistakes on the game designers part, this is the players deciding to break the game, knowing full well what they do is breaking the rules.