Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Fans Spoke, They Listened

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the latest Firefall update, the development team chats about fan feedback about the game and how they have responded to what players have said. The discussion centers around how gameplay is set to evolve into a more skill-based system.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

sounds pretty fricken cool if i do say so myself, I am so glad they are doing away with the level system.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The game seems to be fleshing out nicely. Also, LOL at the Princess Leia cardboard stand up against the wall in the background. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454

Feels... genuine. Keep it up Red 5!

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• Drac14Drac14 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I'm in the beta and the game just always gets better, and it's always fun every stage of beta. This is how games SHOULD be developed. So exciting.

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

NO level wow!!! I Never was a pvper and start loving pvp with Firefall but I always felt that the level made a diference even with diferent level of skills. For me now they just need to change the Femengie Looks. I am male and like female avatar but i hate when game women look like a sex toy.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Every upcoming MMO from now on should get away from the level based system and switch to a skill based system.

I think after so many years it has been proven how flawed and outdated the level system has become.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    Wow I respect this studio more and more. Firefall is one of the few games I am really looking forward to play

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Here's to hoping Red5 sticks to their guns about no character levels and doesn't cave in to whiners like CCP always does.

• ~Roh~~Roh~ Member UncommonPosts: 16

Very good choice. I had pretty much given up on firefall. Not because it didnt seem like it was going to be good. It was going to be great from the start. But I did not like the level system and what I felt it did to the game. Well.. This video has gotten me excited over the game all over again!

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

In terms of gameplay, the game is a lot of fun. They just need everything else out.

This revamping of the level progression system sounds like a good idea. We'll see how it turns out.

• arcwestarcwest Member Posts: 61

this game just looks awesome, everything about it is intriging. and free to play at that, honestly this game looks like it has the most potential long term of all the MMOs coming out this year.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

What the hell, James grew facial hair?! o_O

As for the topic. Cool!

I still advocate non-linear progression (horizontal growth mostly) over stat progression, and this hopefully heps a bit with cutting away that feeling of steeping one's way through the gear and powers and instead picking out preferences.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65

awesome! 10/10 for the theory, can't wait to test the practical

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Good call! I guess ill have to register my bets key now. :)

Joined - July 2004

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

seems like an intrestin game pity i cant run it on mine :/

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Very nice.

Community interaction like this should be in all game development.

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121
    This is awesome news. The ammount of effort they are putting in to making the perfect game for their players is unreal considering this will all be a f2p game. I'll be keeping my eye out for this one...
  • ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

Getting rid of levels ;) Sounds like another game I know ;) 

Good for them. I don't think I could play another mmo that has levels. I'm not grinding from 1-X ever again.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Great move on their part.  Sooner they nipped this problem in the bud, the better.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Lets just remove levels and rebuild the whole level progression in the middle of our beta testing. I love these guys. Doing this at this point of development is very risky and very very expensive. You have to redesign, rebalance and not just the progression part, but also other part of the game have to adjust to this change (production balances prolly? Maybe some balances to the MOBs?). 

or they had already forseen this in the designing progress and always had a backup plan in place to easily switch and try this model. Would not make me love them less ;)

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

To a degree they did Coman. Nothing ever implemented code-wise that I was aware of though.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin