Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Stress Test!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, ArenaNet conducted a stress test for Guild Wars 2. The object was, as with all stress tests, to try to break the servers. See what we think about what we saw during this event and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Last week ArenaNet had a little stress test for Guild Wars 2, and boy was it stressful. Seriously, AHHHHH! Hah ha no just kidding it wasn’t that stressful, unless you’re one of the devs. It was a nice one day event that helped both ArenaNet, and players find more issues to patch things up a bit. It wasn’t a huge event. Just think of it as them trying to find every issue that hides in the game. They weren’t looking for our opinions on balancing the professions. There were a lot of things that did come up for players, so let’s take a look at what was found.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Stress Test!

I wonder if this is what players meant by distorted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105

The only thing you missed was 10min loading times when you went to new area or instance.

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

Sorry, but we have very different view of this stress test.

Been playing the whole first beta weekend, and about 5 of the 7 hours of the Monday stress test. The game performed and acted completely differently. In PvE there was no lag whatsoever, on 2 characteres in two different areas. I encountered no bug nor glitch. The game was just ready.

I know people on WvW had some lag still, and I don't say that they are bug free overall. But your description is missleading imho. The game is almost done.

Also when saying the next beta event is just around the corner ... do you know or speculate please?

• AzarithAzarith Member UncommonPosts: 52

Never saw a single 10 min loading screen...

• MutamiMutami Member UncommonPosts: 20

I didn't have the issues that people were having in the first beta test anyway.  I thought stress tests were reserved till right before release? Like as a last ditch effort to find bugs. 

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by CodeFuzer

The only thing you missed was 10min loading times when you went to new area or instance.

lol. your pc must suck....

for me only take 5-10s to load...

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

eastcoast here cought 2.5 hrs of gaming after work- no problems.

hope next weekend beta comes soon!

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Someone needs a new computer..

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by RKameL

Someone needs a new computer..

longest loading screen i had was under 10 secs.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

To be fair i had one 10 min loading screen, at the very beginning of the test. Once. After that, it ran like silk.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I had framerate issues and problems with being locked out of certain Personal Story instances where it would get stuck loading at 95% and i would have to alt F4 and relog twice to get back to my character.  The FPS issues I had, I expected considering they didn't change any of that since the last BWE, being bound to the CPU and all, which I would like for them to immediately get away from.  My CPU is 6 years old and the one part of my computer I can't upgrade vs. the cost.  Would be better to buy a new PC, which I'm not going to do right now.  Just replaced my vid card a year ago and it should be taking the brunt of my gaming.  Really hoping Anet plans to move the processing more to GPUs.  

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Damn, I thought there is another stress test this weekend. Talking about getting my hopes up !

• AlandarAlandar Member Posts: 8

There's suppose to be a weekend event this month, but we havn't heard anything from arena.net.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Strange i have a lowly I5 somewhat clocked,and a Rad 5770 4GIG,Win7 64bit so not exactly ninja specs,but so far i've had no lag and no real FPS drops even on virtually full settings pretty much perfect on the first Beta and noticeably better on the last, and np with loading screens either in fact the games performance surpassed all my expectaions,only problem i had was logging in on the first few hours of beta1 as the server was hammered i guess.

p>
  • diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35

I have heard more than once a Stress test on a Monday, this should not be. But people forget we are a 24/7 world and there are still tons of people off as a regular off day on Monday's. I lacked no issues with plenty of players in my areas. This being a stress test they did set some things that did create some problems. Thus we tested. I have to agree most players are now getting the test part of what is happening on the game now. No more screaming in all chat fix this etc etc was nice people talking about what they where running into all of us posting tickets. I always look at these test as getting us a game we will not feel stressed over when it releases :-P

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by darker70

Strange i have a lowly I5 somewhat clocked,and a Rad 5770 4GIG,Win7 64bit so not exactly ninja specs,but so far i've had no lag and no real FPS drops even on virtually full settings pretty much perfect on the first Beta and noticeably better on the last, and np with loading screens either in fact the games performance surpassed all my expectaions,only problem i had was logging in on the first few hours of beta1 as the server was hammered i guess.

Anything less that 65 FPS is a drop in framerates, so your idea of FPS drops and mine are obviously pretty far apart.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

The only time i experienced any loading times was the final 30min when it took me 30min to load into Divinity's Reach. 

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Alandar

There's suppose to be a weekend event this month, but we havn't heard anything from arena.net.

They've stated on numerous occasions (mostly on their official forums, Twitter and Facebook) that they're AIMING for ROUGHLY 1 BWE per month but that it's subject to change. There's also a recent post on facebook which is discussed and linked here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/351971/Possibly-no-BWE-this-weekend.html

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

you should check your PC. Gw1 and 2 have the fastest loading screens I've seen in any game.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

After the last BWE folks were indeed raging. I put that down to game studios over the years slowly deceiving us as to what BETA actually means. This was an actual test of the game with feedback and details from players wanted. The "work in progress" logo over all the cut scenes was a nice touch and kind of brought it home. Once players adjusted their thinking they became a lot more helpful and much less childish.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

The massive load times were a bug, you'd get stuck at 97%.

• GandolfiGandolfi Member Posts: 43

I agree, it's nice to take part in helping to make the game better, and I felt there was a really nice positive atmosphere about the game in both the BWE and stress test.

The main issue I found with my kids and friends was trying to keep a group together when zoning, which proved tricky as we'd always end up in different overflow servers etc but I'm sure Anet is on the case with this. We ran into a few bugged loading screens, which froze, but were fixed by logging out and in again. Actual loading times were very quick when the bug did not occur, and the game ran beautifully on all our computers (my children run old Dell laptops).

Really, really looking forward to the next BWE!

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Wow, aside from an initial stuck at 95% loading once within the first 10 minutes we had a near flawless experience (possibly server related, we were on EU).

We had an issue with a mail not arriving, but aside from that, the stress test worked flawlessly for us. No server lag, and on our PCs, even running on ultra was very smooth. We expected a stress test that would mean constant crashes and lag, but we played the whole 7 hours without any incidents after the 1st 10 minutes.

If you're having 10 minute laoding screens regularly, it might not be the game. On our SSD drives it literally loads so fast I don't have time to read the flavor text.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    With the next beta event right around the corner, and the notion of release day drawing closer (...)

Can't come soon enough!!

• warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

The stress test was my first look at GW2. My laptop (i5 2410, 8 gigs, gf550m, win7) ran it quite smoothly on medium settings. I didn't WvW so can't speak to that environment. I did experience the 95% load stick a couple of times but that seemed to be ironed out by the end of the test, for me anyhow.

All in all I was impressed by the "cleanliness" of the game and I only made one bug report which seemed to be related to the overflow system more than anything else.

I'm excited for the game. To me it is very close to what I have been begging for since DAOC pops began to plummet. It's DAOC 2 done Anet style and with a new take on PvE strapped on. I love it and Anet has made a friend in me for being the first major studio to pick up the three faction "RvR" baton and run with it.

Genius, pure frikin genius.

GO ANET!

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Anyone else gets a strange camera glitch at time when the move the camera and a black screen appears and if you move it to a different angle the black screen goes away..

that was my only major problem in the 2 stress test so far..

Btw I'm using a 5 series amd graphic card, with latest driver etc..