Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 accounts hacked, gold and items stolen

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Arianae

Oh hey, yet another reason an optional single player offline mode would have been a good fucking idea. Sadly, this will do absolutely nothing to stifle the ignorant Blizzard defenders that obviously know anything and everything there is to know about Battle.net's security and how flawless the system as a whole is. Right?

Who'd have thought?!

Blizzard going "online only" to prevent hackers is like filling your swimming pool with ocean water to keep sharks out... lol!

Atleast they're trying... For every million they make, there's 2 million they lost due to piracy... They had to fight it with something.

But, when it comes to internet, nothing is flawless and hackproof. Hell, pentagons security was taken down more than once and look at the money they spend to prevent that from happening. :D

There's always some "evil" genious who'll bypass all the security and breach in. Always :)

No, they are NOT trying.  That is my point.  Making the game offline only would prevent hacks, not the other way.

They know what they are doing though.  After a few thousand people get their real life bank accounts robbed through the RMT AH/paypal un-dynamic duo, there will be a massive outcry, which Blizzard will answer by announcing a new "super-authenticator" which will probably log you into the game automatically, and will definitely cost way more than it should.

If it was offline only, i sure as hell wouldn't buy it. That would suck. There are many players that play Diablo for the online component. I don't think Diablo is very good as a single player game. 

If you mean have an offline option as well as online then no that wouldn't prevent any hacks. The online portion would still be facing the same issue. 

Use some logic man. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Arianae

Oh hey, yet another reason an optional single player offline mode would have been a good fucking idea. Sadly, this will do absolutely nothing to stifle the ignorant Blizzard defenders that obviously know anything and everything there is to know about Battle.net's security and how flawless the system as a whole is. Right?

Who'd have thought?!

Blizzard going "online only" to prevent hackers is like filling your swimming pool with ocean water to keep sharks out... lol!

Atleast they're trying... For every million they make, there's 2 million they lost due to piracy... They had to fight it with something.

But, when it comes to internet, nothing is flawless and hackproof. Hell, pentagons security was taken down more than once and look at the money they spend to prevent that from happening. :D

There's always some "evil" genious who'll bypass all the security and breach in. Always :)

No, they are NOT trying.  That is my point.  Making the game offline only would prevent hacks, not the other way.

They know what they are doing though.  After a few thousand people get their real life bank accounts robbed through the RMT AH/paypal un-dynamic duo, there will be a massive outcry, which Blizzard will answer by announcing a new "super-authenticator" which will probably log you into the game automatically, and will definitely cost way more than it should.

My reply mostly went because of the part "going online only". Was trying to reply why I think they did that. :)

I ment, they're trying to fight back with piracy. I could've also added they now have more hacker problem.

I wasn't supporting the idea of "online only" was merely trying to say my opinion on why they're trying to push this model. Now when I think about it again, they kinda exposed all of their paying customers for the sake of making more money since it'll be harder to pirate the product.

I tottaly agree with you there with AH, this hacking and RMTAH which is connected to paypal or your CC is a huge issue... Never tought about it since it's still not implemented. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by dubyahite 

Confused.

anyways sorry bout that my mistake. 

No problem image

On the Diablo 3 forums I noticed this:

I watched the level 1 barbarian that robbed me clean out player after player. For 5 hours he logged in and out of games with a new lvl 60 victim every time.

So Blizzard, this is CLEARLY NOT a client side problem, thus meaning it's not the player's fault!
    It's a database attack via SQL injection, basically they have all the data of accounts:
    Account names.
    Battle tags.
    Passwords.
    Authenticators...
    AND I HOPE blizzard has the credit card numbers encoded in their system...

Anyway, this was posted on the Diablo 3 General Chat forum. Here is the link, first post: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4211013962?page=1

If you see someone doing this crap for 5 hours, why not post it immediatly on the forums, with names and everything? It's retarded. Make a video or something, get some proof. People believe these things, it's so silly. Like the rainbow pony, people spout out random "hacking methods", which does seem nice on paper, but unrealistic if you've some basic knowledge of this subject.

He basicly claims that the authenticator is listed in a database, together with your personal information, (apparantly unencrypted) password and other vital data. In his words, in one database.

No real meaning to my post, but some posters say "where there is smoke, there has to be fire". Says grandpa, there is. The blue sticky says it all. With new releases, there're always more cases of compromised accounts. A the moment there is no evidence that it's a problem on Blizzard's side. Most likely players with compromised accounts.

Yes zymurgist,

That is absolutely bonkers of them. I've never heard of such a thing.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by MikkelB

Confused.

anyways sorry bout that my mistake. 

No problem image

On the Diablo 3 forums I noticed this:

I watched the level 1 barbarian that robbed me clean out player after player. For 5 hours he logged in and out of games with a new lvl 60 victim every time.

So Blizzard, this is CLEARLY NOT a client side problem, thus meaning it's not the player's fault!
    It's a database attack via SQL injection, basically they have all the data of accounts:
    Account names.
    Battle tags.
    Passwords.
    Authenticators...
    AND I HOPE blizzard has the credit card numbers encoded in their system...

Anyway, this was posted on the Diablo 3 General Chat forum. Here is the link, first post: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4211013962?page=1

If you see someone doing this crap for 5 hours, why not post it immediatly on the forums, with names and everything? It's retarded. Make a video or something, get some proof. People believe these things, it's so silly. Like the rainbow pony, people spout out random "hacking methods", which does seem nice on paper, but unrealistic if you've some basic knowledge of this subject.

He basicly claims that the authenticator is listed in a database, together with your personal information, (apparantly unencrypted) password and other vital data. In his words, in one database.

No real meaning to my post, but some posters say "where there is smoke, there has to be fire". Says grandpa, there is. The blue sticky says it all. With new releases, there're always more cases of compromised accounts. A the moment there is no evidence that it's a problem on Blizzard's side. Most likely players with compromised accounts.

Wow, thanks for this reply... I'm going to disable the option of my friends "automatically joining" my game without my confirmation... There's no way in "Hell" (see what I did there? :D)  I'm risking my acc. Nor will I play public games till it's fixed with people I don't know.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

The reason that guy was joining games was that he was thecharacter they were dumping everything to.

The 60 in that case was already compromised and under the control of the hackers at the time.

Avoiding public games is not going to protect you. At all.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by thekid1

Eurogamer writer gets his Diablo 3 account stolen.

This Diablo 3 soap is even better then Age of Conan and WAR right after release.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-21-diablo-3-accounts-hacked-gold-and-items-stolen

I'm seeing a pattern.

If it is EA (or any other company): "Phail company is Phail! They should be shut down for their crappy security! They have lost my trust and business for life!"

If it is Blizzard: "Everyone knows that when accounts get stolen 99.9% of the time it is the users own fault. "

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

This Diablo 3 soap is even better then Age of Conan and WAR right after release.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-21-diablo-3-accounts-hacked-gold-and-items-stolen

I'm seeing a pattern.

If it is EA (or any other company): "Phail company is Phail! They should be shut down for their crappy security! They have lost my trust and business for life!"

If it is Blizzard: "Everyone knows that when accounts get stolen 99.9% of the time it is the users own fault. "

I, too, have been noticing the 'blizz can do no wrong' phenomenon going on in this thread.  There also seems to be a great deal of ignorance about this topic as well since people with authenticators have been reporting the vert same problem as well.

I definitely feel for all those D3 players out there, this has been one heck of a launch.

One more notch making me happy I decided to passed on this game despite how much I wanted to try and like it.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50

My D3 account got hacked as well. It happened this past Sunday around 12pm-2pm EST. As if he new when Im gonna be off. But he didnt get much since Im playing all 5 classes simultaneously. So I managed to finish 1st act with 3 classes and started with 4th class (Barbarian). All chars lvl 10-17. I never joined public game but I noticed he made my Barbarian join public game advanced  few quests and stole 1 legendary lvl 15 armor and yellow stuff of my Barbarian and stash plus 43k gold lol.  My recent "friends"  list shows AlufGolnedbe who was probably involved with my account hacking. Scary part is he can probably see me as well and my progressing even thou I "blocked communications".

I did report to blizzard and got response that they can restore my account but I lost patience after 2hr waiting and canceled ticket. I dont have authenticator but I have ordered one. I dont open suspicious links or sites, have antivirus , few different semi hard passwords etc. Of all mmo and online games Ive played I only got hacked in 2 games WoW and now D3.

Im not playing much now (waiting for authenticator) but if I get hacked with authenticator again than I guess Ill be done with Blizzard.

The reason that guy was joining games was that he was thecharacter they were dumping everything to.

The 60 in that case was already compromised and under the control of the hackers at the time.

Avoiding public games is not going to protect you. At all.

I'm seeing a pattern.

Bloody hell, I'm learning multi-quoting, but you guys need to show me the tricks. I'm replying first to dubyahite, then to thekid1.

You're right there, the guy posted a movie on youtube, though it does not prove anything concrete at all, except that the accounts of some people are compromised. Nothing more then that. Here is the video for those curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7aO-azPTjo

Anyway, the whole "sessionID"-thing sounds solid on paper, but people need more then just the sessionID to take over a session. What also boggles my mind, is that people find it completly plausible that all kinds of information can be read the moment someone joins a public game. As far as I know, you're connected with a server from Blizzard. I don't think that Blizzard connects you with a player that functions as a host, like you see in other games. If I'm incorrect on this, please point it out.

To thekid1, if you look at the Diablo 3 forums, it are mostly posts blaming Blizzard. In this thread a few posters, me included, try to point out it's mostly the players own fault. This is also the case with other games. For exampe, I've a lot of games listed on my Steam account. Therefor I use Steam Guard. Not many people I know use it though. Same goes for my Google Services. I use the two-way-authentication system they made available a while ago. I can't say I like it, but it's a lot more secure that way.

A problem is that it's easier to just blame the company in question, then to look what tools there're available to make your information secure in case that you get compromised. No one is perfect, hell, I've been compromised. Some fun spam got send from my Gmail a while back and I call myself knowledgable on this subject. I can admit it though and the fault was entirely on my side. A lot of players dare not to look at themselves, because then there's the problem of what else can be compromised and that's not really a pleasant thought. If you look at that Diablo 3 thread to which I posted the link earlier, multiple people make claims that their gaming system is brand new and they only used it for gaming. Someone, I believe the OP of that thread, mentioned that it was a MacBook, of one month old, only used for gaming. Sorry, but I find that hard to believe. That's one of the main reason I rather believe Blizzard in this case, then some random dude on the forums.

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

Everyone and thing with a D3 account even attached is open basically - this is solely Blizzards' fault.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Cavod

I'm seeing a pattern.

I, too, have been noticing the 'blizz can do no wrong' phenomenon going on in this thread.  There also seems to be a great deal of ignorance about this topic as well since people with authenticators have been reporting the vert same problem as well.

I definitely feel for all those D3 players out there, this has been one heck of a launch.

One more notch making me happy I decided to passed on this game despite how much I wanted to try and like it.

Its the leniency of people nowadays to bend over and take it up the ass by any sort of authority and ask for seconds in the process.

Originally posted by Sidad

My D3 account got hacked as well. It happened this past Sunday around 12pm-2pm EST. As if he new when Im gonna be off. But he didnt get much since Im playing all 5 classes simultaneously. So I managed to finish 1st act with 3 classes and started with 4th class (Barbarian). All chars lvl 10-17. I never joined public game but I noticed he made my Barbarian join public game advanced  few quests and stole 1 legendary lvl 15 armor and yellow stuff of my Barbarian and stash plus 43k gold lol.  My recent "friends"  list shows AlufGolnedbe who was probably involved with my account hacking. Scary part is he can probably see me as well and my progressing even thou I "blocked communications".

I did report to blizzard and got response that they can restore my account but I lost patience after 2hr waiting and canceled ticket. I dont have authenticator but I have ordered one. I dont open suspicious links or sites, have antivirus , few different semi hard passwords etc. Of all mmo and online games Ive played I only got hacked in 2 games WoW and now D3.

Im not playing much now (waiting for authenticator) but if I get hacked with authenticator again than I guess Ill be done with Blizzard.

Sorry to hear that your account got compromised, but you suggested that your WoW account had been compromised earlier (at least, that's how I interpreted). If you've been infected with malicious software once, then just having an antivirus running is not really enough. Antivirus software is not the be-all-end-all solution to all problems. There's enough malware floating around that can be almost invisible to most antivirusses. Completly cleaning your system can be hard, completly wiping your system is sometimes the best solution. At least you're getting an authenticator, which is a good thing. I've suspicions that if your WoW account was compromised in the past, that the malware that caused it is still somewhere active on your system.

Wow hacking happened years ago and I changed 2 PCs in meantime. On top of that wow account was inactive for at least a year (on my side at least) when hacking happened.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Wow hacking happened years ago and I changed 2 PCs in meantime. On top of that wow account was inactive for at least a year (on my side at least) when hacking happened.

I have said it before, so I will say it again! It doesn't even have to be your own PC.

If you have accounts on public forums / fansites and use the same password there, it is highly possible one of those sites have been comprimised.

As Battle.net and a lot of other account systems these days unfortunately use your email address as account name, they basically only need to get hold of your password.

That's why I am using authenticators on these account sites as extra layer of security.

If you don't want to pay for one, you can instead use the free software based authenticator.

Cheers

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I don't really put the blame with anyone myself. Because frankly, I don't know who is at fault. Very well could be a bit of both - an issue on Blizzard's end and some just making mistakes that end up getting their account hacked.

I'm certainly not going to mock or insult those that have been hacked because I think it can happen to anyone. I've been fortunate but you never know...and I would rather not tempt a bitch slap from karma

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

The "inactive" part does not say much though, with the Scroll of Resurrection (I believe it's called) people could just get you back for a few days. I can't really assist you in any way though, because I don't know your habits concerning browsing, gaming, etc. Nor do I have the time to do that, let alone through the internet image

You already got the authenticator, which is in this case the best thing you can do.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I don't really put the blame with anyone myself. Because frankly, I don't know who is at fault. Very well could be a bit of both - an issue on Blizzard's end and some just making mistakes that end up getting their account hacked.

I'm certainly not going to mock or insult those that have been hacked because I think it can happen to anyone. I've been fortunate but you never know...and I would rather not tempt a bitch slap from karma

But you shouldn't.

Its not your fault.

Whoever thinks otherwise is a complete idiot.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

There are SO many arguments in this thread about whose fault it is that your account gets hacked...

Which is kind of sad because I think they COMPLETELY miss the point.

Why do you guys think D3 accounts getting hacked is "news?"  Battle.NET accounts get hacked ALL THE TIME.  You're not going to see all this discussion because someone's WoW account got hacked...trust me.  It's like a daily occurence.

The D3 account hacks are "news" because if you were just playing D1 or D2 single player, your account could NEVER be hacked.  You simply weren't exposed to it at all.

But with D3, you are forced to be exposed to all the annoying things that go along with being an MMO.  Lag, account hacks, disconnects, inability to play offline, server outages, etc. etc.

So the news of these account hacks is just another reminder that you are forced to deal with this crap in D3 even if you want to play single player.  Discussing who is at fault for the hacking is pointless, that's not what this is really about.  This is really about being forced to play single player online and being exposed to hackers that would have never been a problem before.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by JeroKane

I have said it before, so I will say it again! It doesn't even have to be your own PC.

If you have accounts on public forums / fansites and use the same password there, it is highly possible one of those sites have been comprimised.

As Battle.net and a lot of other account systems these days unfortunately use your email address as account name, they basically only need to get hold of your password.

That's why I am using authenticators on these account sites as extra layer of security.

If you don't want to pay for one, you can instead use the free software based authenticator.

Cheers

Im sorry dude but i dont have same account on public forums/fan sites etc I only make account where I have to. Even ppl with authenticators are reporting being hacked. I dont have authenticator yet but mine is on the way and if i get hacked again, with authenticator, than Im done with Blizzard.

The way hacking is done tells me that whoever is behind it is very well oorganized very methodical and knows exactly when ppl log off cause thats when they attack.

If hacking persists and Blizzard does nothing D3 will die.

Originally posted by Creslin321

There are SO many arguments in this thread about whose fault it is that your account gets hacked...

Why do you guys think D3 accounts getting hacked is "news?"  Battle.NET accounts get hacked ALL THE TIME.  You're not going to see all this discussion because someone's WoW account got hacked...trust me.  It's like a daily occurence.

The D3 account hacks are "news" because if you were just playing D1 or D2 single player, your account could NEVER be hacked.  You simply weren't exposed to it at all.

But with D3, you are forced to be exposed to all the annoying things that go along with being an MMO.  Lag, account hacks, disconnects, inability to play offline, server outages, etc. etc.

So the news of these account hacks is just another reminder that you are forced to deal with this crap in D3 even if you want to play single player.  Discussing who is at fault for the hacking is pointless, that's not what this is really about.  This is really about being forced to play single player online and being exposed to hackers that would have never been a problem before.

No it's not, so get of your soapbox preaching about how the good old days with offline singe player were so much better. You started of good, with saying that it's about Battle.net accounts being compromised. Then you lost it again, because Diablo 1 and 2 weren't any better in that respect. If you played offline single player then your account was safe from this. But that's not what this thread is all about. Not everyone is like you and only plays it solo. Not everyone wants to. It's like you're saying that if there was a seperate single and multiplayer, this issue wouldn't matter at all, because people could just play the single player offline and risk free.

Well, I guess it's true for the small vocal minority that wants offline single player. Their accounts are at risk, if they don't pay any mind to their own security. That's their own responsibility though. However, if it matters that much, people shouldn't have bought the game at all, just out of sheer principle.

You miss one point as well thou. Blizzard would rather have us (players) paying for game and getting hacked (online version only) than us (players) hacking game and playing for free (off line version).

Originally posted by JeroKane

Cheers

Im sorry dude but i dont have same account on public forums/fan sites etc I only make account where I have to. Even ppl with authenticators are reporting being hacked. I dont have authenticator yet but mine is on the way and if i get hacked again, with authenticator, than Im done with Blizzard.

The way hacking is done tells me that whoever is behind it is very well oorganized very methodical and knows exactly when ppl log off cause thats when they attack.

If hacking persists and Blizzard does nothing D3 will die.

Please, people claim all kinds of crap. I can also say this:

I just installed Diablo 3 on a PC I put together an hour ago, maximum secured, jsut for playing Diablo 3. I logged in, made a barbarian and suddenly I got kicked off! I logged back in and noticed that my freshly made barbarian had no more weapons equipped! Bloody hackers! I even have an authenticator!

I can say this, but it doesn't make my story true. Mosts posts are like this. It's never the fault of the one whos account got compromised, of course not. It's the evil company that made the game! Like I said, people can make claims all day long, but suprisingly almost no one backs it up with proof. Even the Youtube video floating around proofs nothing more that accounts got compromised and looted till they're empty. The same thing that happens in almost every MMO out there.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

You miss one point as well thou. Blizzard would rather have us (players) paying for game and getting hacked (online version only) than us (players) hacking game and playing for free (off line version).

Yeah because pirating just destroyed Diablo II right?  The game was in the Guiness book world of records as the fastest selling computer game EVER when it came out, and it sold over four MILLION copies, and that was back in 2000 when the gaming market is not nearly as big as it is now.

Look, I don't condone piracy, but I think we need to stop acting like it's destroying the industry because there is really no evidence to back that up.  I am all for DRM like Steam that really isn't ultra-intrusive (of course, opinions may vary), but I have to draw the line at a non-MMO game that requires a server connection 100% of the time to play.

It's just draconion and unnecessary.  And TBH, I'm pretty sure piracy isn't the main driver for this always online thing.  That would probably be the RMAH.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

I'll say it again for the mentally challenged:

The hole is related to battle net accounts with Diablo3 on them - Battletags I'd assume, it's insecure.

Yes, every ad network out there is tainted with some trojan or another - even the ones on this site, but this isn't the cause in this case.

THIS IS SOMETHING ON THEIR END OF THE NETWORK