Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A girls review

About this wonderful reviewer:

Always been a bit of a gamer, tried a ton of mmorpg so im not even going to bother listing them all.. but the ones I played the most are probably Vanguard, Rift, Lineage2 and Tibia. I also played a lot of action games, fpses, rpgs, casual games and console games. 25 year old girl from Sweden, and since I am sure your not the bit interested in this stuff I'll stop right there :P

Before trying it?

Ugh, it looks just like other korean games following the Lineage2 look, sure.. the graphics looks amazing in the videos, but general style is very asian which ive never been a fan of. Seriously, after L2 was a hit they copied it all over, Shaiya, Perfect World, Aion, to me.. their all real similar with just some niche features and semi-different classes/races.. but it was so pretty!

The combat however looked amazing, I loved monster hunter and dark souls, I am so tired of tab targeting and the healing mechanics of just looking at player names and clicking heal buttons. The mystic class intrigued me as it looks very very unique.

The skimpy clothes? Neh.. any game does this, seriously, maybe more so than other games. But lets face it thats where the media is heading, so this didnt scare me off. There is also some seriously lightly clothed males. and no, not as nude as some female races, but I think most girls would be weirded out by seeing a guy running around in a thong!

First Impressions

I login and omg.. not very unique graphicstyle or not, the game is absolutely amazing on maxed graphicsettings. I made a high elf female mystic, hah the bounce is hilarious! (its not why i made her! shes just pretty.. yes, I'm vain.. sue me!) Combat seems fun as hell, but that there is no point to dodge beginning monsters which is dissapointing, but I find out that I need to get to 20 for that to be a big deal.

20+

Ad..ad...addicted! Killed my first BAM now, did an instance, that excitement and heart beating faster trying to keep my team alive while dropping healing orbs on the ground. Fuuun.. lots to do and not quite sure what to do next. I love this game now. Also notice peoples complaint about Elins, helloo? never watch anything anime like? I dont even like anime and I realise this is simply culture difference.

30+

Quests get a bit more boring now, i never bothered reading quest notes but the lack of different quests and running from questhub to questhub does get boring, but killing bams and doing instances instead makes this matter way less.

Conclusion

Stll really hooked to this game, didnt expect to be. I started in closed beta and having the time of my life still. I love the graphics. Havnt tried pvp, sorry, not really a big focus for me in MMORPGs. rather go to League of Legends or something for that kinda stuff ;) but I bet pvp server in this game would be fun as hell.

But I am only 40 soon, this might change, but I find the game to be worth its money, it should really get more recognition. I have to add ive seen more girls in this game than any other MMORPG.. its the prettyness I bet :D also.. we kick ass.. thats all.

EDIT:

1. Corrected brain issue where i mixed up jrpg with korean mmorpg.

Comments

• badclownbadclown Member Posts: 37

nice review.. I like swedish girls, I guess thats why my girlfriend is swedish (Trollhättan) :0)

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

would boobs your bams anytime

oops, i ment boost.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

With these boring quests, I wonder if they will speed up the levelling process?

• SeirothSeiroth Member UncommonPosts: 29

Nice review. Yet another review where the only noteable complaint is the lack of well written, varied design quests. I think its great that the biggest flaw in the game is the quests because a lot of people don't even read the quest text and an even greater amount read the quest text but in the end don't really care. So I don't think quests really matter that much. Everyone knows they're going to have to go kill something. Maybe deliver something or gather something but at least with Tera you HOPE that its the killing type because nothing is quite as much fun as killing mobs in Tera. There could be many other flaws that in the end would make a much bigger impact on the game's *fun factor*. I am having a blast with Tera. Most fun I've had playing a MMO since the original EverQuest. Now, in EQ I never even did more than a half dozen "quests". It was just about socializing and killing stuff with a huge emphasis on grouping. Maybe thats why I don't care about the crappy quests in Tera. In my opinion I could do without them entirely and just grind out killing different mobs wondering what loot they have and spending what time I could either doing BAMS or instances.

However, if En-Masse decides to put focus into upping the quest quality they've got a killer game on their hands. Something that'll seriously compete with everything else out there. I want to see Tera suceeed in the long run so I hope they put some effort into improving the quests / story-line elements.

• spiralpenspiralpen Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by badclown

nice review.. I like swedish girls, I guess thats why my girlfriend is swedish (Trollhättan) :0)

Ohhh impecable taste id say :D Bet shes awesome.

Originally posted by StarI

would boobs your bams anytime

oops, i ment boost.

Haha ! Sure you did. I want a Ram Bam, ok i dun even know what that means, dont read into it.

Originally posted by Kalfer

With these boring quests, I wonder if they will speed up the levelling process?

I hope not, its good that the game lasts a while, allthough getting less exp for turning in quests at 30 than some at 20 is rather odd. But for me id like them to just make it more enjoyable to level up by maybe more BAM quests than them simply saying "HERE! Endgame!"

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Jrpg's and the Korean games you mentioned are 2 completely different animals.

Originally posted by Seiroth

Nice review. Yet another review where the only noteable complaint is the lack of well written, varied design quests. I think its great that the biggest flaw in the game is the quests because a lot of people don't even read the quest text and an even greater amount read the quest text but in the end don't really care. So I don't think quests really matter that much. Everyone knows they're going to have to go kill something. Maybe deliver something or gather something but at least with Tera you HOPE that its the killing type because nothing is quite as much fun as killing mobs in Tera. There could be many other flaws that in the end would make a much bigger impact on the game's *fun factor*. I am having a blast with Tera. Most fun I've had playing a MMO since the original EverQuest. Now, in EQ I never even did more than a half dozen "quests". It was just about socializing and killing stuff with a huge emphasis on grouping. Maybe thats why I don't care about the crappy quests in Tera. In my opinion I could do without them entirely and just grind out killing different mobs wondering what loot they have and spending what time I could either doing BAMS or instances.

However, if En-Masse decides to put focus into upping the quest quality they've got a killer game on their hands. Something that'll seriously compete with everything else out there. I want to see Tera suceeed in the long run so I hope they put some effort into improving the quests / story-line elements.

Thank you :) Yes I feel the same way when I play a mmorpg. My intentions start out well, I will find out the back stories this game ! Just to want to go back to killing and getting loot too soon to bother with the story. It is a more hack and slash approach to action RPG where story isnt a big deal, like Titan Quest if you ever played that.. think people expect developers to be wizards and get every single little thing right. I am really glad there doesnt seem to be many bugs to speak of.

Originally posted by Alders

Jrpg's and the Korean games you mentioned are 2 completely different animals.

Gah thank you for catching that, yes of course it is. jrpgs = final fantasy for example

korean games : mmorpg grindfest steretype *slaps self*

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

banana-ram into your bam? Noughty... :>

On a more serious note, I had a similar experience.

After a long MMO career and thousands of done quests, I felt a bit bored durring the first few levels. Something made me push over to around 22 and by that point I had a few more skills to play with and monsters became more engaging, especially the big baddies, aka BAMs. Each new zone felt more beautiful than previous and I felt like getting further in. Might add I never really liked Asian MMO stile.

I'm over 50 by now. Have to point out, it's still quite repetitive tho. And unless devs figure out how to make end-game a bit sandbox flavoured - there could be room for it on political/PvP aspect - I don't see myself and many others playing this game for a very long time.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

What part of "girl" is in that review?

Was there some special point that only girls can see? I dont get it...

Originally posted by Adalwulff

I wrote the title mostly because of the controversy posted about how girls "hated" the game, and the fact is that I dont. I realise I probably didnt bind that together all that well, I got sidetracked :)

Sorry if I lured you in here on false pretences :o

After a long MMO career and thousands of done quests, I felt a bit bored durring the first few levels. Something made me push over to around 22 and by that point I had a few more skills to play with and monsters became more engaging, especially the big baddies, aka BAMs. Each new zone felt more beautiful than previous and I felt like getting further in. Might add I never really liked Asian MMO stile.

I'm over 50 by now. Have to point out, it's still quite repetitive tho. And unless devs figure out how to make end-game a bit sandbox flavoured - there could be room for it on political/PvP aspect - I don't see myself and many others playing this game for a very long time.

haha!

Well.. I think devs everywhere need to realise people will get to top level faster than most expect, they work on several 100 hrs of (content, or grind.. or whatever) and people do like only some of it being excited about end game things, then again they got to also make it so people stick all the way up to end game, im so glad im not a developer, id loose my mind!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by spiralpen

... Also notice peoples complaint about Elins, helloo? never watch anything anime like? I dont even like anime and I realise this is simply culture difference...

Good first impression write-up but this sentance says nothing. Just because "simply culture difference" doesn't mean you will like it.

The fact is that they changed Elin for the western version so they could have gone further and heck even removed this stupid race, for the western version, if they wanted to. I think they should have because this is just a creepy race to have, in western culture anyway.

Also the bikini-armor is pretty stupid as well but, unfourtunately, you have this in western MMOs as well.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

I wrote the title mostly because of the controversy posted about how girls "hated" the game, and the fact is that I dont. I realise I probably didnt bind that together all that well, I got sidetracked :)

Also the girls I know tend to prefer tab targeting over action combat mechanics (in fact my wife really hates action combat in MMOs)... don't know why that is though image

Nice review btw image

Well you dont but, generally speaking, women does not appreciate being depicted into such sexualized way in media to the extent that this game does it so that is probably why it is assumed that most women dont like it.

Heck Im a male and I dont even appreciate it but for other reasons. There is no way I can not find it absurd that mini-skirts and bikini-armor protect as much as fully body covered armor does. And an Elin Berserker or Lancer going toe to toe with a Aman one? Sorry but it is just beyond absurd. It would be like starring Woddy Allen in the role of Conan.

haha!

Well.. I think devs everywhere need to realise people will get to top level faster than most expect, they work on several 100 hrs of (content, or grind.. or whatever) and people do like only some of it being excited about end game things, then again they got to also make it so people stick all the way up to end game, im so glad im not a developer, id loose my mind!

Why wasn't this an issue in games like EQ and Asheron's Call? It took a full year for someone to hit the level cap in Asheron's Call, imagine that in a "modern" MMORPG. So obviously it is not just the players but rather the developers catering to casual gamers which ofcourse will make the hardcore gamers beat the game in no time.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Originally posted by Yamota

haha!

Why wasn't this an issue in games like EQ and Asheron's Call? It took a full year for someone to hit the level cap in Asheron's Call, imagine that in a "modern" MMORPG. So obviously it is not just the players but rather the developers catering to casual gamers which ofcourse will make the hardcore gamers beat the game in no time.

Time and time again the player base willing to just grind as in EQ and AC is very small.  Thus there is little money or desire for those games to be made again.  The trick would be to make a game where players of all levels/skills/etc. can partake in all parts of the game a various degrees so that people will not feel the rush to have to catch up and be part of the "end game".

Well you dont but, generally speaking, women does not appreciate being depicted into such sexualized way in media to the extent that this game does it so that is probably why it is assumed that most women dont like it.

Heck Im a male and I dont even appreciate it but for other reasons. There is no way I can not find it absurd that mini-skirts and bikini-armor protect as much as fully body covered armor does. And an Elin Berserker or Lancer going toe to toe with a Aman one? Sorry but it is just beyond absurd. It would be like starring Woddy Allen in the role of Conan.

For me its the same as in all games so maybe I am more used to it? Anyway, they do the same with guys, way muscular and the only reasons the guys dont wear less clothes in games is cause it would just seem silly to as many guys are playing the game. and to me its what the sexulized female characters feels like, silly that plate armor barely is covered, does the plate add some magical invisible barrier that protects against damage??

I dont get upset because if id be upset of how we are depicted then id be upset all the time i watch a rapper music video, play games or watch online ads for games.. exhausting! But think thats what western culture is like, we want more realistic gameplay than asian one where their more into extremes..just look how colorful the world is, would never be real :)

To the whole elin issue... yes its obsurd, but a lot of girls like playing that race, apperantly its adorable, i find it a bit annoying, "IH!" "IIIHHH" "II" "IIAAYAAH" and too anime stylish, but since so many people play them it cant be too disliked by our community. Also, Astrid Lindgren. the person who made Pippi Longstocking children book made another one called madicken, i loved the tv show based on it when i was little.. now watching it like a year ago i nearly freaked out at beginning scene, there the child actors were jumping up and down on a bed completely naked. I freaked out, thought of horrible pedofiles, but noone reacted when it came out like 20 years ago? its all culture.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

Summary of my girlfriends review:

OMG I look so cute, can I buy clothes? WAIT LETS KILL THINGS, awesome.

end of review

Originally posted by Killsmallchi

Summary of my girlfriends review:

OMG I look so cute, can I buy clothes? WAIT LETS KILL THINGS, awesome.

end of review

haha! Cute :D

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

What part of "girl" is in that review? Was there some special point that only girls can see? I dont get it...

I still don't get it. Out of 7 races, one is a race of succubus and incubi. People who roll a succubus might want the attributes of a succubus. Those who don't can roll a human, elf, Aman, Baraka, critter and if they like playing with doll they got their Elins.

If the succubus happens to be popular, blame the players and their choice, the game offers options - it's the players who choose them.

Just don't roll a succubus / incubus and protest because it dresses and animates like a seductress or pimp.

Originally posted by Ausare

haha!

Time and time again the player base willing to just grind as in EQ and AC is very small.  Thus there is little money or desire for those games to be made again.  The trick would be to make a game where players of all levels/skills/etc. can partake in all parts of the game a various degrees so that people will not feel the rush to have to catch up and be part of the "end game".

And even if they added in as feature like "oldschool mode" where you level up slower and it gets harder but you get more exp from mobs, then most who try the game would hate it , then they wouldnt give it a try again :(

[mod edit]
    Originally posted by Ausare

haha!

EQ had a top player base of 500k, Asheron's Call 300k, Eve has a player base of 350k. So you need to revise your "very small" to "non-WoW numbers" because, even these days, those numbers are respectable. Specially considering that they kept those numbers for a couple of years where as current MMORPGs rarely have more than 500k sustained subscriber base but rather just have those numbers for less than a year before dropping down to 1-200k.

So there is definetely a healthy player base for more difficult and harder MMOs, it is just that devs are blinded by WoW's numbers and are trying again and again to get the same number and again and again keep failing. One day they will need to learn and adapt and realise that casual MMOs are not the only way to go.

Originally posted by Reas43

I still don't get it. Out of 7 races, one is a race of succubus and incubi. People who roll a succubus might want the attributes of a succubus. Those who don't can roll a human, elf, Aman, Baraka, critter and if they like playing with doll they got their Elins. If the succubus happens to be popular, blame the players and their choice, the game offers options - it's the players who choose them. Just don't roll a succubus / incubus and protest because it dresses and animates like a seductress or pimp.

This argument is only valid in single player games. In multiplayer games these races will be in your groups, in your guilds and even killing you in PvP so there is no way to avoid them, as you seem to be suggesting.

And there is a huge difference between a Succubus and a pre-teen girl dressed in skimpy outfit. Huge, difference.