Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Favorite Diablo III Classes (So far!)

Comments

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I like the witch doctor most so far. It's fun, to run around with a huge army. And having those dogs explode over and over, if they keep ressurrecting, gave me "kill in less than X seconds" achievements. Currently fighting my way through nightmare mode.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I rolled a WD cause I thought it would be the most amazing class ever. But boy was I wrong. I bitterly regret my choice now. WD has a lot of amazing spells and their animations are great. However, the class is broken at the moment. 90% of your skills are useless. You like summoning stuff? Too bad, they all suck. There's only 2 skills which are worthwile fire bats and bears. Bears becomes useless in Inferno because of short range. Also you have to take Vision Quest to spam any of these skills so you end up with putting 3-4 skills which you only want on recharge.

There's only one viable build for WD from Hell onwards. The most boring class ever.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Bought tthe game yesterday and playing a Wizard. I did play barb for open beta and was going to make a another one, but my friends kept complaining they get killed so easily on Hell difficulty so I wussied out. I'm not sure if my friends are just bad, though.

Wizard is pretty fun, I'm only lvl 20 at the moment and there's a lot of kiting and trying to round up foes going on. I'm playing solo. In hindsight I wish I had made a Demon Hunter, because my bags/stash are full of their gear while I'm running with req lvl 5 stuff in many slots. There has to be some HUNTER ITEM thing going on here. :(

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

I was enjoying my Demon Hunter through the entirety of Normal Mode. I felt really powerful and mobile. Though, now that I'm in Late Act 2 Nightmare I'm starting to dislike him.

Demon Hunter is the squishiest of the classes. Warriors and Monks have an innate 30% damage reduction. Wizards and Witch Doctors can take a passive that reduces incoming damage by 20%. Demon Hunters get no such thing, so when they get hit, it hurts. If you're not solo its not a big deal. But if you are, enemies just ignore all your henchmen run straight to you. You can sometimes buy a bit more time for slow meleers with Vault or caltrops, but ranged attackers are relentless.

So far it seems the best way to solo is rely heavily upon smoke screen. Debating going so far as to picking up the +1 discipline per crit passive, the 10% crit (when wielding hand crossbows) and equipping dual crossbows. As well as equiping Rapid Fire (Hatred Reduction Rune). I'm thinking that might allow a really long upkeep for Smoke Screen, as with a high crit rate with the attack rate of rapid fire, it should regnerate discipline extremely fast, while the hatred cost of rapid fire is extremely low.

If crit rate can get high enough, it might be possible to equip prep (with hatred regeneration rune) for 100% uptime on both Rapid Fire and Smoke Screen.

Demon Hunter is one of the best classes for Inferno. You really have to learn to kite all the time. Later difficulties force you into kiting as a ranged class. I don't think a lot of WD rely on the 20% reduction later on because you get one shotted anyway. I have to kite mobs cause my minions are useless. I agree that wizards are cool. They get a shield which means they can't receive more than 35% of their health in one hit.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

In the beta, the Barbarian was the only class i could stand.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I tried DH and WD and so far prefer the WD. I was a very big Necro player in D2 so I guess it is not so much of a surprise.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

Only tried wizard up to act 2 inferno so wizard.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

My random reactions (in order of completing normal):

Monk: +10% movement passive rocks.  Relative to the other classes, it feels like you're rocketting across the map (I've also come to the conclusion that any boots without +movement are junk to me).  This wasn't the first character I made, but it was the first one to successfully finish normal and felt the easiest to play.  Then again, since I was not being particularly subtle with any of the characters, how easy/hard a character feels is largely dependant on what gear drops.

Witch Doctor: it took me a long time to get used to this class - for the first few levels it felt really slow and fragile.  But once I had a managerie tagging along behind me and had mastered the art of launching fire-and-forget-frogs, I found this an a very mobile, very sneaky character with enormous survivability - there were so many companions on screen that I was rarely being directly aggroed myself and could run away if the battle did not go well.

Wizard: this was my first character, but ended up being the most troublesome as I was inadvertantly handicapping myself - it took me a long time to realize that weapon types are unimportant and that a two-handed hammer channelled spells just as well as a staff and spellbook.  Of all the classes, the wizard is the one that I had the most trouble settling on a strategy - although I suppose it's only approriate that a wizard would be constantly flipping through their spellbook.

Barbarian: Definitely a straight-up hack-and-slasher.  Pick up a weapon and start cleaving. Enemies shall be driven before you (although I'm not sure lamentation is really something that demonwomen go for).  I was so focused on "stand toe to toe and kill it" that I put off completing the final fight in the hopes of finding a straight-out tanking strategy (in the end, I broke down and, in the interest of finishing, let my barbarian show his back to the enemy a couple of times).

Demon Hunter: this character had the least fantasy feel because he was firing a machine gun that only happened to *look* like a crossbow.  This character had some lucky loot drops so ended up being very easy to play up until the point where suddenly he wasn't easy to play.  I crashed-and-burned very badly in the final fight because without my tanking companion, mobility suddenly became very important and I had a pair of boots with amazing stats ... but not movement increase.  It wasn't until I broke down and accepted that I had to replace them for that fight that I finally made progress.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by spookydom

I am still literally not happy about there beeing no Necro. I know, I know old news. WD just isn't the same for me. Where are the sardonic little quips?Where is the freaking blood golem and the pasty "I need to get out more" contenance? I loved building Necro's more than I loved building stuff out of Lego. And I love building stuff out of Lego guys!.......Love it! ;)

Yeah, but you gotta love the WD's throwing a bottle of spiders attack, right?

I don't have to love it! I don't have to love it Kyleran! /goes and sulks in the corner............comes back out of the corner. Yeah bottles are good. /goes back to corner to sulk.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I am still literally not happy about there beeing no Necro. I know, I know old news. WD just isn't the same for me. Where are the sardonic little quips?Where is the freaking blood golem and the pasty "I need to get out more" contenance? I loved building Necro's more than I loved building stuff out of Lego. And I love building stuff out of Lego guys!.......Love it! ;)

Yeah, but you gotta love the WD's throwing a bottle of spiders attack, right?

I don't have to love it! I don't have to love it Kyleran! /goes and sulks in the corner............comes back out of the corner. Yeah bottles are good. /goes back to corner to sulk.

Act 2 has an NPC event where you help a Necromancer. He refers to D2's necromancer too. Made me all weak inside :(.

• darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Wizard for me so far. The only problem with wizard right now (lvl32) is I use the same skills from like first 10 levels.
  • ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

The Barbarian has been incredibly fun for me.  My favorite part is how powerful my character feels.  I also enjoy the strategy of knowing when to stay in and fight and when to get out of dodge to heal up.  No laser beams here, just straight up hack'em up and chop 'em down.

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

Least fun has been Barbarian (rather shallow) and Witch Doctor (hoping for a real pet class in the expansion, like a beastmaster).  Monk was probably about the funnest followed by DH and Wizard.

• VinMackVinMack Member UncommonPosts: 9

I've given each class a try, basically rolled to lvl 10 or so, and my picks would have to be:

1. Monk - I've been playing the hell out of the monk on hardcore, because it's just plain badass and well... fun! The ability to take down a group of 15+ mobs, survive, and heal myself afterwards is crazy noise! Love it.

2. Witch Doctor - Not really all that familiar with the skills and abilities, but from what I've seen and had the opportunity to use, I can honestly say I will be playing a lot more of this class.

3. Barbarian - Come on. I would've ranked it number one, but this is SO FAR, lol. The barbarian is pure destruction and it's always visually stunning to me to watch him/her in action.

4. Wizard - Haven't played the wizard much, at all. I've never really been the mage/sorceror/casting/magic type player, but I am going to give the wizard a fair shot, I had fun with my Laser Ice Beam, ahahahahaha! I smiled everytime.

5 Demon Hunter - Tried three of them on hardcore. Was not impressed. In the end I obviously was owned, so that first of all pissed me off, lmao, and secondly, in my personal opinion I really don't see the survivability. Can someone please explain any tactics rolling hardcore with a DH. Dying sucks, lol.

Yep, this game rocks, can't even pick up anything else atm.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Barbarian. I really didn't like any of the other classes but thats probably just down to my preference of getting in there and smashing things.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

You must have really shitty internet or a shitty computer i have absolutely no delay when i vault. I Agree however that they really need a good skill for the number 1 slot on Demon Hunter cause nothing there is very good.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Zidavey

Barbarians seem so out of balance right now.  My friend is using a shield and one hander yet he has the same dps as me.  OP if you ask me.  I'm not in it for PvP anyways, so what do I care.  I enjoy having one grouped with my monk and I'm sure I'll love it even more on my little wizard.

To be fair, there's not really a big difference in onehander and twohander damage. Same with dualwielding, I think it increases attack speed by 15%. So it's not as if your friend would double his dps if he went twohander or dualwield.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by ZeGerman

You must have really shitty internet or a shitty computer i have absolutely no delay when i vault. I Agree however that they really need a good skill for the number 1 slot on Demon Hunter cause nothing there is very good.

Turn elective mode on ... you can put in slot 1 whatever you want :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Played 3 classes,  Monk, Wizard, Barbarian...

Haven't gotten very far yet.. but... so far ,  Wizard is number 1 for me..  love being able to kite,  love being able to shield myself from all damage.... and the Wizard can use a lot of weapons and combinations, so I'm happy.

Monk was pretty cool,  used him as a healer in group settings.

Barbarian I barely got into.. just didn't like the feel so much... seemed a little slow and cumbersome in comparison to the monk.

• AlandarAlandar Member Posts: 8

I've only played the monk and demon hunter so far, but I like both classes.

• DragnogDragnog Member UncommonPosts: 48

Currently playing a support Witch Doctor in public games mainly. Still only in Nightmare though as I was helping a friend out yesterday. I had always planned on playing Witch Doctor, but my choices on build have changed significantly since started playing. I don't know about other classes but the Witch Doctor seems to have a great number of tools to control the battleground, which is especially useful with so much being thrown at you. I just wish more people would realise that Big Bad Voodoo actually helps them, though at the moment I am using the Mana rune as it just lets me spam Acid Cloud which is great for those nasty Blue mobs. 

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

Really like Monk, and Barbarian too!

oh, and a little Witch Doctor sprinkled in there too!

Same for me.  I started with Demon Hunter but it felt a bit meh, briefly tried mage and might go back to her.  Played quite a lot on Witch Doctor and enjoyed it immensely, but then tried Barbarian (hack n slash, anyone?) and finally Monk.  At present, Monk is my favourite, but who knows.

As an aside, I only tried Diablo III out of curiosity and because of the guest pass system, but I'm hooked.  Didn't like D1 and D2 (my son loves them), so I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying D3, which feels much more fluid in terms of both combat, UI  and use of items etc.  Top down games generally make me feel claustrophobic, which is why I usually steer clear, but I'm glad I tried D3.  Got all excited and had a quick look at Torchlight's trial version given its rave reviews, but didn't like the bright look and Toytown-ish character models.

Originally posted by Faran_Brygo
    ...Too bad the whole concept is a little too ooga-booga for my taste.

Honestly, it’s 2012, and we get animation on the character creation screen that looks like it’s straight out of that bad James Bond film about voodoo from the early 70s, complete with a chicken-waving, prancing native type. Then they compound it by making the voice acting (for the female part, at least) sound like the stereotype for every “Magic Will Smith” role that has ever been done. At least she’s not voiced like the biotch the female Wizard seems to be or just a real hard a-hole like the male Barbarian. But the witch doctor art concept really passed vetting? Really? Wow....

Agree absolutely regarding the whole witch doctor/voodoo stereotyping thing.  Especially hate the way the witch doctor (female anyway, haven't tried male) crouches all the time, making her look slightly ... well, not sure what.  Like she's doing squats?

Shame because the class itself is great fun.

Originally posted by jessie360

I play a Melee Wizard and am enjoying it.  What I'm not enjoying is the lack of customization.  Blizzard really shoe horned the classes into specific roles.  I didn't really enjoy any of the other classes too much.  Monk is okay.  I would have preferred the two weapon demon hunter Blizzard originally announced rather than the ranged only class we have.  I guess I'll wait for Torchlight II to get my customization fix.

Before anyone jumps on me for not liking what Blizzard did, we all have preferences and I like melee combat augmented with magic or other abilities.  I'll play for the story, but probably won't really enjoy it much after that.

"...we all have preferences and I like melee combat augmented with magic or other abilities." Didn't you feel the Monk fit the bill there?  Not trying to argue, just curious.

p.s.  Sorry for post spam; I really must remember to use the multiquote function next time :)

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

I hate to break it to the OP, but once you get into mid-late hell and Inferno your Barbarian will immediately go to your #5 spot o_O.  Epic Blizzard balancing makes a high level Barbarian a buffbot/rez warrior.